• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Not for me, but i havent played it yet.
I just found it weird that after all these time the release was a bit less of a celebration than i hoped for - it kinda just was there.

Very talented team though and what ive seen from far from the game looks good.
I had no idea it even came out...

And I do remember being interested in it at some point.
Pretty much this.

OP
OP
Vire

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So it's not that good? That's very disappointing, and to be honest, I also had no idea that it finally released.

The thread wasn't intended to discourage others from playing.

It's worth trying for yourself, especially since it's on Game Pass. Maybe it'll float your boat, but it was more related to your second point how you didn't even know it released.

Pretty sure you were being straight with me via the thread title [WINKY FACE GOES HERE]
Now you are making me feel bad. I swear I bought Sword and Sworcery twice. :(

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I wanted to have an opinion on this game as a game, but when I tried to run it on my PC with 4GB of RAM it just ate it all and CTD'd due to failing to read a file.

So I have no opinion on this game as a game, but as a program it is very much a shoddy job.

Not to be a dick, but how do you expect to run anything on 4 GB RAM today? Most phones have 4 GB RAM.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Era poster Vire, player of all the indie games, makes thread about indie game not being popular or something

I wish you made this thread when Full Metal Furies had underperformed, there's a game that has been completely ignored by the playerbase

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
No? No Man's Sky did worse despite selling a fuckton.

I'm definitely not the biggest fan of No Man's Sky, but if it sold a 'fuckton' then in what way is it the biggest indie flop? If anything the way the dev's have turned things around and made it into the success it is (despite the train wreck PR at launch) I'd say it's anything but a flop.

On-topic though - OP I don't know if Below has flopped, but I felt underwhelmed when I finally got to try. I think they had some great ideas but I felt the screen was just too far zoomed out for me to enjoy it and I also felt the hunger/thirst mechanics weren't needed.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm assuming you do given you said it did well commercially.

Well, it has 1-2 million sales on Steam according to Steamspy and didn't it have an incredibly good launch week in the UK with something like 140k sales? For a self-published indie game that cost full price and had a dev team of like 15 people I'm sure they made a shit load of money.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
it's try and error the game, and not in a fun way because it can be too random and unfair quite often. That was my impression when it launched and I was just not having a good time so I stopped playing.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Are you serious? How was Inside or Ori a flop?

He wasn't saying they flopped. He was responding to the question of Indies that were hyped and lived up to it.

As to the OP.

Below is an extraordinarily hardcore game. Playing it my first thought was "this game would have absolutely fucking killed it back in the 90s". Like, if this game had released back in like 1994 or something it would probably stand now as an all time classic.

It wasn't for me. I'm too old now for something this hardcore, but it was pretty to look at. I think Capy might have known it was going to be divisive.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
idk about NMS being a flop but its launch shitshow was flopping hilarious and my favorite fail of the last decade.

OP
OP
Vire

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Era poster Vire, player of all the indie games, makes thread about indie game not being popular or something

I wish you made this thread when Full Metal Furies had underperformed, there's a game that has been completely ignored by the playerbase
I mean I played Return of the Obra Dinn, Florence, Celeste, Dead Cells, Between Two Gardens, Into the Breach, Donut County and a tiny bit of The Messenger this year in 2018. I also play a fair amount of phone games. (Monument Valley being my GOTY a few years back)

If that's not enough, I'm not sure what to tell you.

Never heard about this game
Didn't watch Microsoft E3 then did ya? :)

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
This seems hyperbolic, we don't know if it's actually flopped and even if it did flop, it's not even close to being the biggest indie flop ever. It was never touted as as big a deal as you make it out OP.

That said, relative to how much it was hyped it, it was released to so little fanfare and with barely any build up. That's the problem. I doubt many people know it even released, but that's on Microsoft/Capy rather than the game itself.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
idk about NMS being a flop but its launch shitshow was flopping hilarious and my favorite fail of the last decade.

Exactly, no one is denying the sales success, but the reviews, the horrible launch and the state of the game, all the lies and the dip in playerbase and user reviews on Steam was not a "flop"; only a "disappointment" for one of the most hyped titles of this generation. And i'm not a casual hater, i bought the game day one.

This seems hyperbolic, we don't know if it's actually flopped and even if it did flop, it's not even close to being the biggest indie flop ever. It was never touted as as big a deal as you make it out OP.

Also this, Below didn't have Cuphead or Ori hype nor No Man's Sky hype to begin with, calling it "the biggest flop" without providing actual sales or revenue means nothing.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
This thread seems to have derailed into potshots at the game and arguing about NMS.

I'm curious how the Game Pass deal has offset lack of traditional sales, I doubt that information can be shared outright though.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
I mean I played Return of the Obra Dinn, Florence, Celeste, Dead Cells, Between Two Gardens, Into the Breach, Donut County and a tiny bit of The Messenger this year in 2018. I also play a fair amount of phone games. (Monument Valley being my GOTY a few years back)

If that's not enough, I'm not sure what to tell you.
So you played most of the highly rated indie game's and this one didn't meet the bar so it's the biggest flop all of a sudden?
It has 71 in metacritic, Mostly positive rating on steam, but its the biggest flop cause ya didn't like it right?

Oct 27, 2017
No Man's Sky was not a flop at all though? It made back it's money and then some, and eventually and bitterly lived up to most of its promises through free expansions.

What is your criterion? Below spent 5+yrs in dev but we also know that Cappy worked on and released several games during that time. So I don't think that anyone outside of Cappy can say. It's obvious that they didn't bet the studio on it, nor was it the primary project. I see it as just "the game they wanted to make". I'd say let's wait a little more than 3 weeks after it's release to see if it resonates.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
That said, relative to how much it was hyped it, it was released to so little fanfare and with barely any build up. That's the problem. I doubt many people know it even released, but that's on Microsoft/Capy rather than the game itself.

Agreed. Below was in development and then it felt like the 'out now!' announcement just came out of nowhere, and at a pretty busy time of year too. I wouldn't be surprised if many still had no idea it was even available to play now.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
No Man's Sky was not a flop at all though? It made back it's money and then some, and eventually and bitterly lived up to most of its promises through free expansions.
Define flop because if we're talking about sales (and normally I would when using that word), I don't think we know enough about Below's sales performance to make this assumption.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Exactly, no one is denying the sales success, but the reviews, the horrible launch and the state of the game, all the lies and the dip in playerbase and user reviews on Steam was not a "flop"; only a "disappointment" for one of the most hyped titles of this generation. And i'm not a casual hater, i bought the game day one.

A flop, is a game that failed on both sales AND critical reception. NMS only failed on one of that. Did it live up the expectations? Hell no, but that doesn't have anything to do with the game being not a flop.

This:
No, a "flop" is a term used for a media title that did poorly critically and commercially. That's the usage in almost all contexts in media, including film and music. Terrible films that attract millions of people to cinemas aren't labelled flops, they get sequels!

A game can bomb (be a failure in sales) or be panned (be a failure in critical reception) but it need fail at both to 'flop'

Last edited:

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
This sounds more like a "why the weird placement of below on gamespass???" post than anything else.

Which I agree. I couldn't believe it wasn't featured anywhere on gamespass when I looked for it. I almost wondered if it hadnt come out.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
No Man's Sky for sure. Not really into shitting on indies unless they're doing shady shit like Hello Games was. Below is really cool and well worth the wait though.

Cromulent Word

Co-founder @ Capy
Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Toronto
Now you are making me feel bad. I swear I bought Sword and Sworcery twice. :(
Im just joking around. Thanks for buying Sworcery!

OK FINE I'LL WADE IN MORE... FWIW, seeing our reviews range from 90/80/70/60s etc really means the game was divisive. Is that a flop? I dont think so at all, but I'm just one biased dude.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Im just joking around. Thanks for buying Sworcery!

OK FINE I'LL WADE IN MORE... FWIW, seeing our reviews range from 90/80/70/60s etc really means the game was divisive. Is that a flop? I dont think so at all, but I'm just one biased dude.
If you are proud of what your team made and no one's going hungry over it, I think a 60 review score doesn't really matter. Seems like quite a few people in this thread enjoy the game, so obviously it works for some folks.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
Not to be a dick, but how do you expect to run anything on 4 GB RAM today? Most phones have 4 GB RAM.
Might as well try to run it on a Casio calculator.
I expect a game that lists 4GB of RAM as its minimum requirement, to at least actually run on a system with 4GB of RAM.

On top of that, just because it is "today", one should not give a free pass to poor optimization. A game that looks like Below does, has no business using 4GB of RAM before it even loads the first level, no matter the current date. That's just shoddy resource usage and - using the term correctly for once - lazy programming.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
This could have been a GotY candidate and everybody's darling
If they ditched the whole rogue-like permadeath idea. That killed the hype for a lot of people I think.

OP
OP
Vire

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't really see what's ridiculous about "Full Metal Furies".
For me?

It's too close to Furries.

It's a mouthful (keep it simple! Like Below! ;)

It's rather non-descript and I have no idea what the game is even related to based on the title. (Then again, I'm sure that could be said about a number of games)

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Good art-style severely bogged down by tiny birds-eye view and probably the most frustrating checkpoint system I've ever experienced.

Terrible game.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
For me?

It's too close to Furries.

It's a mouthful (keep it simple! Like Below! ;)

It's rather non-descript and I have no idea what the game is even related to based on the title. (Then again, I'm sure that could be said about a number of games)
Below is like the most non-descript name you could have, it tells you nothing about the game. Personally, I don't think that has anything to do with making a good title though.

Fwiw, I like both of the names, and I think the confusion with Furries is silly.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No Man's Sky didn't flop even if you didn't like it.

I'm curious what happened though. The game was in dev hell for years.