• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Pretty simple question. It's my personal favorite thing to snack on. It's filling, tastes great, not terrible for you, doesn't require any prep work, and it's not messy.

So is beef jerky the best snack food? If its not what is the best in your opinion?

sappyday

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If I want to chew on something for a long time. But if you offer it to me I'll get some

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Place by my house sell's beef jerky dip that is fucking amazing. Sounds gross but it's addictive as hell.

Occam

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's great, and healthier than most other snack food that actually tastes well.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
MiserableMeagerCoqui-max-1mb.gif

MJPIA

Oct 25, 2017
There are few things in the world that can beat a dry smoky jerky.
I'd eat it all day if the good stuff didn't go for around $30 a pound.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. Potato chips

Or nachos with cheese dip

Or pita chips with feta cheese dip

Shit I'm hungry

Kaiser Swayze

Oct 30, 2017
Jerky isn't bad, but it feels like I'm ripping out my teeth to eat it. I much prefer nuts, which would be healthy and nutritious if I didn't eat so goddamn many of them in one sitting. Have you ever seen a 100-calorie pack of nuts? It's like a half a walnut and a fuck you.

OP
OP
Coyote Starrk

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I wish it was a lot cheaper.

It's hella expensive. But it is so damn good.

Yeah, that's the one drawback. I'd get it more often if it wasn't $7 for what feels like nothing.

You guys just need to be more careful about the brand and not eat it all in one go like a bag of chips. I get a brand called Old Trapper at Kroger here in Texas and it was $12. I got it on my birthday on the 19th and have snacked on it on and off since then and I'm only just now down to a 1/3 of a bag.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Jerky is way to expensive, you can buy a large bag of corn chips for the same price as a little bag of jerky

Maffis

Oct 29, 2017
Wish this was a standard item in Swedish stores. We have it, but it's only imported from the US so it's like eating gold. So expensive. It's extremely tasty and it seems like it is quite nutritious as well. But too expensive to enjoy it every week.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beef Jerky is alright but so expensive. This stuff used to be like 5 dollars at walmart for a giant bag (had a different label back then) and I would eat the whole thing and fart my brains out

iu

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
i love beef jerky but it's so pricey and every store i go to only has jack links. i want to try some different stuff like alien fresh jerky but i probably never will.
has anyone here ever tried biltong? always wondered how that tastes like

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Bison jerky > beef jerky

It's even more expensive than beef/pork jerky. Worth it.

robosllim

Banned
Dec 4, 2017
You guys just need to be more careful about the brand and not eat it all in one go like a bag of chips. I get a brand called Old Trapper at Kroger here in Texas and it was $12. I got it on my birthday on the 19th and have snacked on it on and off since then and I'm only just now down to a 1/3 of a bag.
When I check the CVSs and Walgreens and local grocery stores around Chicago, all I see is Jack Links and whatever other basic brands. And yeah, that stuff is soft and sugary and easy to blow threw in an afternoon or two.

But I have seen Old Trapper in gas stations when I go out to the suburbs. Might have to pick up a bag next time I see it.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i love beef jerky but it's so pricey and every store i go to only has jack links. i want to try some different stuff like alien fresh jerky but i probably never will.
has anyone here ever tried biltong? always wondered how that tastes like
Costco sells some pretty good stuff especially this korean stuff. may have a different label now but they have had it for a long long time.

iu

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
^ I can vogue for that Costco stuff. its solid.
.... but that's more difficult.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep I would eat that korean jerky or the pepperoni sticks from costco for a small breakfast for awhile. No Costco in my town now but since Sams Club closed down all their locations Costco is opening here in November. Pretty excited

OP
OP
Coyote Starrk

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
When I check the CVSs and Walgreens and local grocery stores around Chicago, all I see is Jack Links and whatever other basic brands. And yeah, that stuff is soft and sugary and easy to blow threw in an afternoon or two.

But I have seen Old Trapper in gas stations when I go out to the suburbs. Might have to pick up a bag next time I see it.
I get the peppered. Its very good in my opinion. Not the best I have ever had, but for store stuff its not bad.

Oct 30, 2017
It would be, if not for 1 single reason.... cost. I would snack the shit out of jerky if it wasn't super marked up.

Absinthe

Oct 27, 2017
I agree, OP.

I kinda want to make my own, too. Less "stuff" in there, y'know?

Go for it. I made my first batch of homemade beef jerky last weekend and it turned out incredible for 1/4 the price of store bought!

Beef Jerky is alright but so expensive. This stuff used to be like 5 dollars at walmart for a giant bag (had a different label back then) and I would eat the whole thing and fart my brains out

iu

That was back when it was real jerky too. The quality of World Kitchens has gone down a lot in the past few years. I think now they use ground meat and cut it up.

It would be, if not for 1 single reason.... cost. I would snack the shit out of jerky if it wasn't super marked up.

Look into making your own. It's easy, affordable and tastes just as good.

OP
OP
Coyote Starrk

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

Absinthe

Oct 27, 2017
I've been wanting to do that forever. But it seems like there is alot of prep and alot of mess =/

Surprisingly no.

I was able to get 2.4lbs eye of round, already sliced, at Winco for ~$10. After that, I followed a recipe online to marinate overnight and the next day placed it on grates in the oven for 3.5-4 hours at 175 degrees..

With how easy it was and how good it tasted, I will never buy jerky again!

Here's the recipe I used:
2 lbs Eye of Round/Top Round
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp red pepper flakes
1 tbsp cracked black pepper
1 tbsp smoked paprika
1/2 tbsp salt
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 cup worchestershire sauce
1/4 cup agave nectar (replace with honey if desired)