• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still not sure who exactly ROB is.
It was a fairly large NES peripheral used for a couple of games. Nintendo used it to market the NES as a toy instead of a game console to circumvent the North American market's fear of video games after the '83 crash, and some survey data actually supports that R.O.B. was a critical part of the system's launch success.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Most of my friends who game just play Warzone, Fortnite, or 2k on Xbox and haven't cared about Nintendo or Sony since the Gamecube/PS2. I'd have to explain a very significant chunk of that roster to them. Hell, some of those characters are unknown to me. Who the hell is Terry?

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
gosh if only Smash Bros games came with a thorough, text-filled guide that players were incentivized into filling up so that they could learn about all the characters

wait

I'm forever sour about the lack of a trophy collection in Ultimate

Deleted member 75954

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jul 24, 2020
Based on Sakurai's comments in Sephiroth's introduction video, I'm wondering if they are in Japan; he called Sephiroth one of the most well-known villains in gaming besides Bowser. I certainly don't feel that's true in the states

Eh? Sephiroth is probably the most iconic video game villain outside of Bowser, Ganon and Eggman.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Mr. Game & Watch is the one who would take the longest to explain, not only you have to start with that pre-Famicom story about Gunpei Yokoi watching business men playing on calculators in their train ride commutes, but you need to end up denying the urban myths surrounding Nintendo, the Yakuza, and Virtual Boy's failed run. And that's before telling that Mr. G&W's technically an OC, amalgamation of various characters, but also ended up appearing in the GBA gallery games after Melee...

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Sephiroth is probably much more known than Eggman is honestly.
How do you figure? Robotnik's been in everything from video games to cartoons to comics and movies for 30 years.

Sephiroth is in one mainline Final Fantasy, its remake, and its prequel. And a film that absolutely no one who hasn't played Final Fantasy VII has any interest in seeing.

I mean, one was a Happy Meal toy...

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bayo isn't a household name, but I'm pretty sure there's at least 10 more obscure/harder to explain characters in the game than her.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The roster of Smash is bigger than the number of video game characters in existence who actually qualify as household names to the general populace.

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
Bayonetta is not a "household name," but I'd say she's definitely more recognizable than the following, in general:

• Every Fire Emblem character. The Bayo games have been on a lot more platforms and played by a lot more people than Awakening. And in the case of Fates and 3H, the avatars aren't as recognizable as the rest of the cast.

• Pit, Palutena, and Dark Pit (KI:U is fantastic, but only sold a little over a million units)

• Shulk

And if you begin talking about modern audiences (ie; people that didn't grow up with the SNES), I'd wager she's more recognizable than Simon, Richter, the entire Star Fox crew, Meta Knight, Samus, Ridley, and even Duck Hunt.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Fox, Ness, Captain Falcon, Ice Climbers, Sheik, Falco, Marth, Lucina, Roy, Chrom, Mr Game & Watch, Meta Knight, Pit, Dark Pit, Zero Suit Samus, Ike, Lucas, King Dedede, Olimar, ROB, Wolf, Little Mac, Palutena, Robin, Shulk, Corrin, Bayonetta, Ridley, Richter, King K. Rool, Hero, Banjo & Kazooie, Terry, Byleth, Min-Min.

I think those are the ones people at large are least likely to know.
I'd strike Ness, Chrom, Meta Knight, Dark Pit, Ike, Lucas, King Dedede, Olimar, Wolf, Robin, Shulk, Corrin, Bayonetta, Richter (I think people are more likely to know Simon than Richter), King K. Rool, Hero, Byleth, and Min-Min from that list. I don't think those characters are that well known to people outside the general gaming sphere.

I agree that Bayonetta isn't quite a household name. A lot of characters in Smash might have to be explained to people that don't know them. Imagine trying to explain Joker to people (although there's a chance they might know him given how popular Persona 5 was), but otherwise the explanation is about how the SMT series existed, SMT if...was made, and spinned off into the Persona series.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Bayonetta is not a "household name," but I'd say she's definitely more recognizable than the following, in general:

• Every Fire Emblem character. The Bayo games have been on a lot more platforms and played by a lot more people than Awakening. And in the case of Fates and 3H, the avatars aren't as recognizable as the rest of the cast.

• Pit, Palutena, and Dark Pit (KI:U is fantastic, but only sold a little over a million units)

• Shulk

And if you begin talking about modern audiences (ie; people that didn't grow up with the SNES), I'd wager she's more recognizable than Simon, Richter, the entire Star Fox crew, Meta Knight, Samus, Ridley, and even Duck Hunt.
I would still argue a lot of people know Marth and Roy just from word of mouth from Melee. Even if they don't know them being from FE, they know them from Smash.

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
I agree that Bayonetta isn't quite a household name. A lot of characters in Smash might have to be explained to people that don't know them. Imagine trying to explain Joker to people (although there's a chance they might know him given how popular Persona 5 was), but otherwise the explanation is about how the SMT series existed, SMT if...was made, and spinned off into the Persona series.

I believe the explanation is rather simple. You see, first they made Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3. Then they made Persona 4. And Persona 4 was so successful, they said, "hey, we should make a spin-off!" and made Shin Megami Tensei 4. And then Persona 5 happened, and because that was also successful, it is receiving its own spin-off, Shin Megami Tensei 5. :)

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I believe the explanation is rather simple. You see, first they made Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3. Then they made Persona 4. And Persona 4 was so successful, they said, "hey, we should make a spin-off!" and made Shin Megami Tensei 4. And then Persona 5 happened, and because that was also successful, it is receiving its own spin-off, Shin Megami Tensei 5. :)
get-out-gif-thumb-700x560-192694.gif

Persona 2 duology is the best game in the series.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
I think the answers here will skew pretty heavily towards North America/Europe, obviously.

While I wouldn't call him a household name like Mario or Sonic, Terry is one of the bigger names in the cast here in south america. Every gas station, dinky bar and shopping mall had at least one KOF machine. He's not that unkown as he is up there. He, Mai, Iori, Kyo and Rugal are iconic.

Same thing with Hero over in Japan.

Subaru

Oct 26, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I'm stil baffled that US doesn't give Terry some love. Even big fighting games streamers/youtubers haven't played KOF in the 90's. This is shocking.

But c'mon, why picking on Bayonetta? We have characters from games that weren't released on west (Lucas, from Mother 3), lots of Fire Emblem characters that even me (who plays vidoegames a lot) only know from Smash (because I haven't player all FEs), and SHULK.

No, Shulk is not as known as Bayonetta. So... what's the problem? ;-)

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
No, not even close. Somehow the Sonic the Hedgehog movie was the biggest video game movie of all time despite its theater run being canceled halfway through due to COVID. Sonic continues to be very widely well known.

I think the problem with the STH movie is that the version of Eggman in that is so different from other versions, that people who know of the movie wouldn't actually recognize Eggman/Robotnik from the games themselves. Though I also think the movie version is probably more well known than the video game version.

I have no idea how to quantify game sales vs movie ticket/DVD sales, though.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
people mostly know mario, sonic, pacman and minecraft guy

some here really overestimate how popular bayonetta is though. game didnt sell that much and outside of her being "weird" to the main public there is not really anything else people can remember about the series. i freaking played it and i cant name more than 2 characters from it

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
To non gamers? The Mario cast, Sonic, Pacman, the Pokémon, mayyybe Link. That's the only recognisable characters.
Casuals gamers will know a few more but not much.
The majority of the cast is for the enthusiast crowd.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
Funnily enough i think more people would recognize wii fit trainer than most of the other characters

And peeps are still underestimate how popular fighting games were in some areas of the world. I'd easily say Terry is more recognizable in here than Banjo & Kazooie, despite the later making a far larger splash around the net

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
I have to explain every character to my kids that's not a Mario character or other big ones like Link and Zelda they've seen a bunch.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Not true. Even after Smash Bros, Fire Emblem didn't really do well. Awakening is what made Fire Emblem popular in the West and revived it in Japan.
Not entirely true. Fire Emblem in the west was outselling Japan for years. Fire Emblem's western sales are basically a straight line from selling "sightly less than Japan" to "completely outselling Japan". The only exception was the DS release which did poorly everywhere, but especially so in the west. Hence why Awakening is regarded as reviving the series.

Kikujiro

Oct 27, 2017
Funnily enough i think more people would recognize wii fit trainer than most of the other characters

And peeps are still underestimate how popular fighting games were in some areas of the world. I'd easily say Terry is more recognizable in here than Banjo & Kazooie, despite the later making a far larger splash around the net

Terry is 100% a more recognizable character in other (non-small) part of the world, like South America and Asia. Every kid in China played KoF sometimes in their life and Terry is up there with Kyo and Iori, Banjo and Kazooie are non-entities there.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
Terry is 100% a more recognizable character in other (non-small) part of the world, like South America and Asia. Every kid in China played KoF sometimes in their life and Terry is up there with Kyo and Iori, Banjo and Kazooie are non-entities there.

we had a term here, "street fighter de rodoviária", which was mainly about random arcades around bus stations, bars, local stores and the likes. lots of people played them, old people even, and KoF was very popular. i'm fairly sure people would more easily recognize even "obscure" KoF characters like Benimaru and Ralf than stuff like bayonetta

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
Bayonetta is widely recognized, but probably more from her design than her games. I don't recall sales numbers and I'm too lazy to check, but I'm fairly sure that her Smash 4 reveal trailer has more views than all ports of her games have sold combined.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta be Roy.

He looks super super generic, for one.

Fire Emblem on the whole might be popular, but Roy's game only ever released in Japan, on a handheld system, in 2002. That's not recent at all, and unlike Marth, he was only the lead for a single game. Roy has cameo'd a few other times, but that was it.

VS Shulk: Shulk was the main character of a relatively more visible game, which got rereleases multiple times, on multiple systems, across multiple regions. His game was even the center of a pressure campaign asking for release! Not huge, but what splash did Fire Emblem 6 make? Nothing.

VS Bayo: Bayo has been on more recent games, across more systems, with wider geographical distribution, and was a flagship character for a mildly known action studio. Her details stand out too. A half naked butterfly hair witch? Weaponizing demons to fight angels? Sticks in the head.

VS ROB: Old, but he was the face of older video game market comeback ads, as previously mentioned. That's gunna spur a few memories; maybe parents recall having to buy this big, weird looking robot peripheral.

VS Terry: Terry has a much richer history, has been in a billion games, some of which have been on arcades; his face probably adorned some of those public-facing machines.

VS Pit/Palu: Not colossally known, but I recall for the longest time of how "that Kid Icarus game on the NES" was super well regarded - and then, of course, he got a second followup game. This followup game even had it's own fancy console changing peripheral, for one of the most popular handheld systems of all time.

Now, there are definitely ways that the above characters might not be known, and Roy would be. For the average non gamer too, they'd have no idea about any of them. Who the hell's mom knows about Platinum, for instance? What on earth is a "Shulk"? Operation Rainfall? Yet everything about Roy isn't in his favor here. Small game, small release, to a small country; literally a clone on his biggest stage. Even his name is generic. It's Roy. He's only known because of Smash, guaranteed.

Last edited:

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
-Dad, who is Bayonetta?
-She is a witch that made a pact with hell and kills angels.

Thanks Nintendo

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
to my casual friends, only they knew about less than 10 or so characters and i had to explain everyone else to them. that was back in the SSB4 days.

they would still recognize the same ones. a lot of the characters in here hve no reach outside gaming. people like to call out the FE characters, Shulk or other anime characters but the fact is that if you're not Mario, a Pokemon or maybe Link, you're just as underground as any FE character to the casuals (yeah, Kirby, Star Fox, Metroid and everything else is FE tier of recognition beyond enthuiasts). some slight exceptions are Sonic, Pac-man and Megaman when it comes to older series and even then some people don't know them that widely compared to Mario and co.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
It was a fairly large NES peripheral used for a couple of games. Nintendo used it to market the NES as a toy instead of a game console to circumvent the North American market's fear of video games after the '83 crash, and some survey data actually supports that R.O.B. was a critical part of the system's launch success.

Oh, so that's why I see it described as a Trojan Horse. I wasn't sure if it was a game character, Nintendo's mascot before Mario, or the first Astro's Playroom but TIL. That's pretty cool.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
After the mainline Nintendo characters and Sonic, forget it. You'll be explaining the rest of them to most people.

Sep 29, 2019
I wouldn't call Bayonetta niche, but she isn't super popular either. I would say she's more of a core-gamer classic. Pretty much every hardcore fan knows or even played a Bayonetta game once, but people lighter on the whole gaming hobby likely don't know her, as opposed to something like Mario or etc which literally every single person knows

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I dont wanna shit on the question but...

Holy shit.

How could any single person here possibly think Bayonetta was a household name?

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I would go as far as to say that even Zelda isnt a household name, let alone link.

Sonic, Mario, Pacman and Donkey Kong are household names. Pretty much every clothes store that exists sells merch of them continuously for decades and they're referenced in mainstream movies from time to time.

People far removed from games will also probably recognise Pikachus design but depending on their age maybe not his name.

Those of you who think Serpharoph is a household name, even in Japan, are dreaming.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Pikachu is certainly a household name, and I'd argue Jigglypuff is as well, and maybe Squirtle, Charizard and Mewtwo. Any other playable Pokémon in Smash isn't.