• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't think of any.

IMO there are way too many movies where the future is dystopic: Minority Report, Demolition Man, RoboCop, etc.

And that's without even mentioning things like Terminator or Matrix (obviously).

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Dystopian alternate 1985 is easy to confuse with 2015 because it pretty much came true in real life 2016.

2560.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
I can't think of any.

IMO there are way too many movies where the future is dystopic: Minority Report, Demolition Man, RoboCop, etc.

And that's without even mentioning things like Terminator or Matrix (obviously).

If there wasn't something wrong with the fictional future, there's not much of a story in these cases. Not much point in having a story set in the future if it's 'eh, things are kinda the same'

Nov 15, 2020
Fifth Element.

Don't think the future New York is dystopia per se, just a logical extension of 1997 New York. Apartments are smaller than ever, rich and famous go on space cruises with blue alien opera singers, celebrities are irritating, and McDonalds!

Stooge

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
2015 doesn't seem that great in the movie. I guess its not a dystopia, but its certainly not that great.

Like, for one thing there are roving street gangs with spike shoes and POWAH over water.

Farmboy

Oct 27, 2017
Fifth Element has a bit of a Police State vibe considering everyone has orange circles where your hands go painted inside their doors.

I'll take your word for it, haven't watched it in forever. It's just that I remember thinking, at the time, that this was a rare non-dark future with people just going about their business and such.

Nov 2, 2019
It's just not as obvious as the other dystopian future movies.

Considering Griff was arrested, charged, tried, convicted, and sentenced to 15 years in prison in 2 hours with no attorney representation since they've all been abolished, I'm guessing civil rights and basic Constitutional protections have been thrown out the window.

Just because 2015 looks all cool with hoverboards, flying cars, spandex, and cool neon colors, if you pulled back the curtain on Hill Valley a little more it was probably a hellhole (see future Marty's "bitchin'" Hilldale neighborhood.) But hey, downtown looked cool!

Also, this is a future where they're still pumping out Jaws movies. It was a dystopia.

(I've thought this through way too much. Also, BTTF2 is my favorite movie of all time.)

Last edited:

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Valarian comes to mind. I especially liked that intro sequence where all the people and alien races come together and build the city. There obviously still is conflict, but it's far from dystopian:

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
Not a popular choice but I Robot didn't seem too bad when the robots weren't trying to enslave humanity.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
MV5BNmE1OWI2ZGItMDUyOS00MmU5LWE0MzUtYTQ0YzA1YTE5MGYxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDM5ODIyNw@@._V1_UY1200_CR127,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

I, Robot. Aside from that one robot going a bit haywire and it been a pretty terrible adaptation.

Asimov was rather Utopian with his world building.

Oct 31, 2017
2001. It has elements of conflict in the background, but Earth is still going and the US, Soviets and Chinese while competitors do cooperate and they haven't nuked the earth into nonexistence.

NunezL

Jun 17, 2020
2001; A Space Odyssey. Can't be more optimistic than that.
Even if the novel alludes to earth being pretty belligerent

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Of course BTTF 2's future is dystopian, it is a capitalist nightmare hidden under the comforting sheen of hollow consumerism. If you want to live in its version of 2015 you are mad.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
2015 doesn't seem that great in the movie. I guess its not a dystopia, but its certainly not that great.

Like, for one thing there are roving street gangs with spike shoes and POWAH over water.
They abolished lawyers, which I'd say is pretty dystopian. Aside from that though yeah it's not that bad of a future.