• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rewatching the show and Book 3 JUST started.

Its one of the greatest shows of all time. Also Uncle Iroh is the greatest fictional character of all time.

Destroy my cabbages if you disagree.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Nope!
The_Last_Airbender_Poster.png

This movie pisses me off

giphy.gif

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
Is Avatar actually a good animated show? I mean, does it even come close to most famous shonen anime? I started it once a couple years ago but it felt so childish and boring that I dropped it after the first 4 episodes.
Should I give it another go?

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
Avatar is a good pick, but I think many people don't know about it.
My pick would be Mario Kart.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is Avatar actually a good animated show? I mean, does it even come close to most famous shonen anime? I started it once a couple years ago but it felt so childish and boring that I dropped it after the first 4 episodes.

Yes, yes, and yes.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Korra is part of that wider fandom/continuity and is certainly divisive.

If we can separate parts from the whole, then TESB or LOTR are probably more widely adored.

amusix

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Personally, I just don't get the love. Granted, maybe I haven't seen enough of the show.

My friends rave about it, so I've tried to watch it. Got about 10 episodes in, and the screechy, childish bickering, and lack of character development between episodes just kill it for me. Last episode I watched was them crossing a massive canyon. It was nothing but watching a group of brats butt heads...and in the end, the lesson they learned was not to pettily fight. That's great, but that's the same fucking lesson that they 'learned' in five other episodes.

I just don't see how watching a group of kids learn "stay focused", "check your ego", and "don't be a brat" over and over and over again can be appealing.

Again, maybe the whole thing changes a dozen episodes in and becomes this incredibly well-told story.

Oct 27, 2017
The most 'famous' shonen, not the best? It's way better than something like Naruto and DBZ, imo. It's actually consistent and tells a singular cohesive story.

Personally, I just don't get the love. Granted, maybe I haven't seen enough of the show.

My friends rave about it, so I've tried to watch it. Got about 10 episodes in, and the screechy, childish bickering, and lack of character development between episodes just kill it for me. Last episode I watched was them crossing a massive canyon. It was nothing but watching a group of brats butt heads...and in the end, the lesson they learned was not to pettily fight. That's great, but that's the same fucking lesson that they 'learned' in five other episodes.

I just don't see how watching a group of kids learn "stay focused", "check your ego", and "don't be a brat" over and over and over again can be appealing.

Again, maybe the whole thing changes a dozen episodes in and becomes this incredibly well-told story.
It does. I hate telling people, "just get through X number of episodes, and it gets better!" but it's a show that was very much aimed at smaller children when it started. It never really loses that focus, but it gains broader appeal in the back half of Season 1 and steps up a lot in Season 2.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
I finished my rewatch and liked it more now than the first time I saw it. Great emotional connections with these characters that vastly eclipses a lot of shonen anime tbh. Dope action scenes too once the bending gets more advanced.

Oct 27, 2017

Season one is widely recognised as significantly increasing in quality in its second half. You stopped watching right before one of the season's best episodes, and where it starts to get really good.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017

You had one episode to go before the show would have started to show it's true colors.

The storm is where avatar starts to get good. The first half of season 1 is alright, but after that you start to see that the show has much more depth than it was originally letting on

amusix

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Season one is widely recognised as significantly increasing in quality in its second half. You stopped watching right before one of the season's best episodes, and where it starts to get really good.
You had one episode to go before the show would have started to show it's true colors.

The storm is where avatar starts to get good. The first half of season 1 is alright, but after that you start to see that the show has much more depth than it was originally letting on
Thank you for letting me know. I'll get back to it and try some more. (Though currently working through Rebels).

If Ang doesn't grow up a little, it'll be difficult. The whole 'spastic, unruly child' thing is hard to handle.

Oct 28, 2017
Spiderverse
Keanu Reeves
MCU Thanos
Batman TAS
Ruben Sandwiches

The Simpsons season 3-7 is the most loved thing i have ever saw.

It's as good as any anime of the same tier. Dragon Ball z, Naruto, Bleach. It might be better than those and I say that as a fan of those shows.

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
Thank you for letting me know. I'll get back to it and try some more. (Though currently working through Rebels).

If Ang doesn't grow up a little, it'll be difficult. The whole 'spastic, unruly child' thing is hard to handle.
he's going to have alot of character development trust me it's going to be worth it to see it through

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
The show takes time to get going but its great plus season 2 and 3 has amazing well animated fights that rival the best in shonen.

if you guys really can't handle the slow start watch episode 12 and 13 of season one then watch episode 18 , 19 and 20 (the season one finale) then move on to season 2 where things really heat up .

Jadentheman

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
No...

I'll add that it's unfair that Disney can have 2002's Kim Possible be in widescreen 1080p, Cartoon Network can have 2001's Baby Looney Tunes and 2003's Teen Titans and 2005's Ben 10 be in widescreen 1080p, but Nick can only offer Avatar the Last Airbender in 4:3 480p only.

I did wonder about that. I recall there being some episodes broadcasted in HD too

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
Thanks for the replies. I'll give it another shot. Maybe it wasn't the right time/mood when I started it so now that I got much more free time, I'll dive into. It's kinda hard believing that it's even better than DBZ, Naruto etc, specially said by fans of these, and I'm a huge fan as well, but until I try I wont know.

CrazyAznKT

Nov 8, 2017
Just tried to watch an episode on Netflix due to this thread.. and jebus the quality is bad. There are a bunch of jaggles that hurts my eyes the longer I look at it - I dont think I can continue
The version on Netflix is terrible and I'm glad I have my bluray version. Bummer that that is an immediate turn off but I totally get it. Give it a second shot if you ever find a way to view it in higher quality!

Thanks for the replies. I'll give it another shot. Maybe it wasn't the right time/mood when I started it so now that I got much more free time, I'll dive into. It's kinda hard believing that it's even better than DBZ, Naruto etc, specially said by fans of these, and I'm a huge fan as well, but until I try I wont know.
One person said the Naruto and DBZ thing which I feel is an unfair comparison considering those are hundreds and hundreds of episodes long. Avatar is only like 60 episodes so the pacing doesn't meander too much.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, if we ignore the larger amount of people who are aware of it but find no appeal.

Deleted member 19844

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
My wife had the exact same reaction to Aang in season 1. Her words: "If the rest of the show was like the first half of season 1, well that's just not interesting to me. I didn't like Aang at all and I didn't like that he'd just want to 'play' when important things needed to be done. But it gets better after the first half and then by the end of it it was one of the best animated series I've seen. I still like most of clone wars better overall, silly episodes aside, but that's probably because I like the Star Wars universe."

SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
The show was ok, but it's only the movie from M. Night Shyamalan that truly made things like air or earth bending come to life.
I mean look at this:
tumblr_on8b8zPsly1w8wdxzo1_500.gifv
Every time I see this gif, I die a little on the inside. It's so bad. I mean the rock looks like it's floating on a piece of string lol.

EDIT: As I'm browsing the thread this pops up on my FB feed:

H9p8OaT.png

The live action series is gonna be HUGE isn't it?

Last edited:

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the series. I took a 2-month break after watching episode 1 because I wasn't into it at all (thought the humor was extremely chidlish, wasn't feeling any of the characters). I didn't even realize it had been taken off of Netflix and put back during the time I stopped watching.

I'm glad I gave it a second chance, though, because it's an amazing show. Great, consistent worldbuilding. The main cast all bring something to the table, and they're all fun to follow (Sokka got a bit old sometimes). It's nice that Kitara wasn't actually a damsel in distress or relegated to being a pure healer. I didn't think much of earth bending at first, but Toph actually made it look really cool.

It's really well written for a kid's show.

I hear the sequel, Korra, is a step down, which is a huge shame. Seems it's only on Amazon Prime, so I'll give it a shot eventually, but that response makes me want to check it out less. I hope it doesn't get bogged down in romance shit; all I ever heard about Korra when I didn't know anything about Avatar was shipping discussions.

NickHyde

Oct 26, 2017
Watching it for the first time and the problem for me it's that things happen waaay too fast so they don't really stick with you. Coming to this from better call saul is a shock. I know it's a cartoon but even some cartoons like steven universe are better paced.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Watching it for the first time and the problem for me it's that things happen waaay too fast so they don't really stick with you. Coming to this from better call saul is a shock. I know it's a cartoon but even some cartoons like steven universe are better paced.
Yes, the pace is actually very fast and that's throughout the whole series. I was also surprised about that; I'm much more used to series which let things breathe a bit. Sometimes I didn't know if events were happening within a week or a single day unless it was explicitly stated (there was one training montage that lasted half the episode, and then they come back and say that it was all within a day, which threw me for a loop because that was counter to how things worked before).

Often it's to its detriment, but it does help that things that don't need the attention aren't lingered on for too long. On the other hand, sometimes episodes end with a pretty big event and the next episode doesn't immediately follow what happened, which was sometimes irksome.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Rewatched the whole thing after many years. Nothing still tops that final agni kai. Best moment of the whole series.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Rewatched the whole thing after many years. Nothing still tops that final agni kai. Best moment of the whole series.
Wow, this was officially uploaded a week ago to 1 million views.

So weird. Feels like I'm at once real LTTP, but also that I got into it right when it's being discussed en masse again.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Now that the show is back on Netflix, there's been a resurgence of people rewatching it and gushing about it, but I've also been hearing people say that it's the greatest animated show for years (Along with Batman the Animated Series) and I have literally never heard a bad thing about it ever. Is anything else loved even nearly as much?

oh I definitely have issues with it, first season especially. Good show, though

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the series. I took a 2-month break after watching episode 1 because I wasn't into it at all (thought the humor was extremely chidlish, wasn't feeling any of the characters). I didn't even realize it had been taken off of Netflix and put back during the time I stopped watching.

I'm glad I gave it a second chance, though, because it's an amazing show. Great, consistent worldbuilding. The main cast all bring something to the table, and they're all fun to follow (Sokka got a bit old sometimes). It's nice that Kitara wasn't actually a damsel in distress or relegated to being a pure healer. I didn't think much of earth bending at first, but Toph actually made it look really cool.

It's really well written for a kid's show.

I hear the sequel, Korra, is a step down, which is a huge shame. Seems it's only on Amazon Prime, so I'll give it a shot eventually, but that response makes me want to check it out less. I hope it doesn't get bogged down in romance shit; all I ever heard about Korra when I didn't know anything about Avatar was shipping discussions.

I'm one of the folks who thinks Korra stands toe to toe with ATLA, if not as consistently great as its predecessor. After rewatching ATLA, I think that even moreso. But it's definitely a step back in several critical areas, although most people cite the likability of the characters as the biggest reason.

The romance stuff almost derails the first season, and it is absolutely unbearable in the beginning of the second season. All told, it has an unfortunate amount of influence on the show, although it gets mostly ignored from the second half of S2 onward until the finale

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Watching it through for a third time after many years. Still my only issue is that, even though there's great writing, there's plenty that kind of irritates me. I try to ignore how bending is used in general because the continuity is about as consistent as the force In the SW prequels.

Still very enjoyable show. Definitely one of the better animated shows back then. Toph is a whiner but is a total boss.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
I only watched the first several episodes but I wasn't really impressed to be honest. Art was decent but nothing stood out, the premise seemed fairly typical, the dialogue was nothing special, and the world itself seemed fairly small and lacked vibrancy. Nothing really stood out.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I only watched the first several episodes but I wasn't really impressed to be honest. Art was decent but nothing stood out, the premise seemed fairly typical, the dialogue was nothing special, and the world itself seemed fairly small and lacked vibrancy. Nothing really stood out.
I loved it from the jump but it doesn't really pick up until like the halfway point of season 1.

Season 2 is considered the best usually.

I havent even heard of this. So I dont love it.
How

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
And here I thought that was The Last Jedi?

Joke aside, I loved TLJ at least, but I think both Avatar and A:TLA are widely loved.