• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Feudal Japan

• Yes

Votes: 596 45.5%
  • No

Votes: 713 54.5%

• Total voters
May 20, 2018
It's always interesting to me how the vocal gaming community simultaneously wants original ideas and derivative ones.

We're talking about a series that already receives criticism for being repetitive with it's ideas and Ubisoft open world gameplay design and yet somehow players are asking for the safest, most derivative setting possible in AC.... Japan.

AC set in feudal Japan is ninjas. That's it, ninjas. Ubisoft have themselves stated that they've avoided feudal Japan simply because of that, it's safe and boring. For all it's faults, the series has at least attempted to give us some interesting setting.

Stuff like a native American assassin operating in Colonial America or an Egyptian assassin is interesting, that's the kind of stuff we should be asking for.

Good points. And when compared with all the great action and stealth games set in feudal Japan, including upcoming games like Nioh 2 and GOT, an AC: Sengoku couldn't help but be disappointing.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I used to see this a lot, but rarely see it asked for these days. I think feudal Japan is a good setting that feels played out, but that could just be me watching so much movies and anime, and playing games set there. Even so, I'd love to see the AC teams flesh out and create a large world set in Japan. Personally, I'd rather see China if they go East. Romance of the three kingdoms aside, you don't really see much games set in other eras.

I didn't like the rumors of a Vikings AC game at first, but after watching Vinland saga and starting the last kingdom, I'm starting to really warm up to a Vikings AC game.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
It's not some unrepresented setting. going ancient world is a much more refreshing take. The open combat also lended itself to the RPG/builds that the series has transitioned to.

I imagine if they do ever go Japan or China, they would plan their own trilogy for it to help justify and spread out the costs of creating all new assets for everything on top of new gameplay systems since navel combat and the current weapon system wouldn't work at all with the period.

Because people would expect ninjas, that would also mean actually building some stealth mechanics with depth which takes time and effort. They can't just make splinter cell with swords.

Considering how big Ubisoft is, and how long the current ancient world story arc has been in the planning stages and is finally wrapping up, that some team has prototyped the heck out of the ninja stalth concept.

Jun 23, 2019
Ubisoft knows they will never be able to do feudal Japan the justice it deserves, so they will never attempt it. It's why I'm so excited to see Ghosts of Tsushima. Haven't had a "realistic" game in that setting in quite many years.

Nov 22, 2019
Probably not that extreme... but I definitely agree that an AC game in old Japan would be insane! But let's first see how they will do with the Norwegian mythology. I'm curious how they will manage that, especially compared to the excellent God of War :)

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
How many movies have been set in Ancient Egypt?How many in the last twenty years? How about comics set in that period? Compare that to all the media about ninja and samurai. It's not even close. The point stands, feudal Japan is a super common setting for video games, particularly stealth and action games which is what AC is all about. And we're about to get GOT which is open world. I say give other regions a chance.

This is getting kind of silly now. I'm not saying Japan is unique or underused. It isn't, but neither is ancient egypt, especially in western entertainment.

I've even said in the same comment that you posted and elsewhere in the thread that other settings would be more than welcome, so the past part of your reply is kinda redundant. None of these settings are unique in entertainment, broadly speaking.

You play a game set in ancient egypt, you already have a load of preconceived notions about what will be in it. Why? Because it's a setting that is prolific throughout literature, entertainment and western education systems. Same with ancient greece. What's cool, however, is that Assassin's Creed takes their unique take on historical settings in AAA open world videogames, and in the context of AC as a franchise, feudal Japan would be radically different to previous games.

Anyways, I digress. I'm not particularly fussed either way. I'd rather than Ancient China if anything, just taking issue with people in this thread acting like Assassin's Creed regularly chooses settings rarely explored in popular entertainment. It doesn't.

It's always interesting to me how the vocal gaming community simultaneously wants original ideas and derivative ones.

We're talking about a series that already receives criticism for being repetitive with it's ideas and Ubisoft open world gameplay design and yet somehow players are asking for the safest, most derivative setting possible in AC.... Japan.

AC set in feudal Japan is ninjas. That's it, ninjas. Ubisoft have themselves stated that they've avoided feudal Japan simply because of that, it's safe and boring. For all it's faults, the series has at least attempted to give us some interesting setting.

Stuff like a native American assassin operating in Colonial America or an Egyptian assassin is interesting, that's the kind of stuff we should be asking for.

I mean, there's a lot more to feudal Japan than ninjas. It seems to me that the comments here like your's are a symptom of people not knowing nothing about that time period beyond what they've seen in anime, manga and videogames. There are a hell of a lot of interesting conflict etc. going on around that time.

I think that's what makes Ghost of Tsushima so interesting. It isn't Sengoku era. Let's not act like Japan's culture and history starts and stops in the 1500-1600's.

Actually, come to think of it - an AC game set somewhere in the world during the Mongol conquests would be pretty fucking dope...

Last edited:

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
I voted Yes because it's my natural instinct whenever someone asks me about either feudal or meiji japan. But if the question is "is it the most ignored thing" then nah

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
It's still fascinating that Nintendo, of all people, actually caved to the "open world Zelda" wishes a lot of people wanted back in the day (especially after Skyrim)

Aug 13, 2019
I'd honestly rather they go to some other Asian country we hardly see, like Korea. More than anything else I want the games to move away from the RPG direction they've been heading. I'm probably one of the very few people who miss the old Assassin's Creed formula and prefer it over the current one. Especially the multiplayer pre-Unity.

But to answer the OP's question, probably not. There are definitely remasters, remakes, and sequels in higher demand.

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After all these years, we've still yet to see this become a reality. I remember me and my friends always unanimously agreeing that Feudal Japan would get us back into the franchise after the few years back when the first game was released. What exactly is a valid reason?

If you know of any other examples, let us know.

Mass Effect Trilogy Remake/Remaster is the easiest and biggest one.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
I used to see this a lot, but rarely see it asked for these days. I think feudal Japan is a good setting that feels played out, but that could just be me watching so much movies and anime, and playing games set there. Even so, I'd love to see the AC teams flesh out and create a large world set in Japan. Personally, I'd rather see China if they go East. Romance of the three kingdoms aside, you don't really see much games set in other eras.

I didn't like the rumors of a Vikings AC game at first, but after watching Vinland saga and starting the last kingdom, I'm starting to really warm up to a Vikings AC game.
The next setting is Viking, that is not a rumor. (Jason confirmed it and he has never been wrong about Assassin's Creed stuff) Any other information is just rumors though.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't Japan and Egypt been two of the most teased settings since the beginning? We got Egypt so I wouldn't be surprised if Japan wasn't coming.

I was bummed out when they used the Chinese character from the animated Ezio thing in one of those sidescrolling games. That would've made a cool main entry.

Anti

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Australia
I Don't understand why people are obsessed with feudal Japan, I mean it is a nice setting but there is a ton of games set on it.

Let's try something more original/not as used.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, then video games specifically if you're going to split goddamn hairs. There is no shortage of games that revolve around vikings and Norse beliefs.
But there are hardly any games set in that era, and most of the games set in it are low budget no name games. God of War barely has anything to do with viking era and what else is there ?

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
But there are hardly any games set in that era, and most of the games set in it are low budget no name games. God of War barely has anything to do with viking era and what else is there ?

Surely you're not serious? There's Hellblade, Bad North, Viking: Battle for Asgard, Banner Saga... Just off the top of my head I can name at least a dozen. Whether you're talking about video games, movies, comics or what have you, vikings and Norse mythology is one of those things they're all saturated with.

Hydes

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
God of War is taking care of Vikings... Nioh and Sekiro are taking care of Ninjas & Samurais.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
Surely you're not serious? There's Hellblade, Bad North, Viking: Battle for Asgard, Banner Saga... Just off the top of my head I can name at least a dozen. Whether you're talking about video games, movies, comics or what have you, vikings and Norse mythology is one of those things they're all saturated with.
So a bunch of low budget and indie games is all you got? The fact that you list Bad North(which is barely a viking game) and Viking: Battle for Asgard prove my point.

God of War is taking care of Vikings... Nioh and Sekiro are taking care of Ninjas & Samurais.
God of War didn't have any viking in it.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If it turns out Bluepoint is not remaking Demon's Souls at the moment and a remake will stay out for years, it will be a contender.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, it's definitely Half-Life 3, and then KOTOR III. Even remastered Mass Effect would be ahead.

Akauser

Oct 28, 2017
London
This whole thing exists becuase people think an AC set in feudal Japan will be a cross between Ninja Gaiden and Tenchu. But it will be basically just be a re skin of Oddysey. What we really want is a proper Tenchu reboot.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Peoplea sked for this for ages, and now that other companies finally tackle the setting (and are really damn popular with it), Ubisoft shouldn't do it anymore?

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Feudal japan is almost as boring as medieval europe, it's been done a lot.
I mean Sekiro's gameplay is good, but god damn the setting is so boring compared to lovecraftian victorian london.
Sekiro's atmosphere is top notch though, and some of the vistas are so god damn beatiful I just chilled there for minutes on end doing nothing but looking at them

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I really don't care one lick about setting games in japan so when people say "everyone wants AC/GTA/Forza in Japan" i just shrug i guess.
I wanted Egypt and Greece far more than anything in the east. Perhaps AC China could be interesting but i still like the idea of vikings better.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Just thinking about this, but if someone tried to make a feudal-Japan-themed open-world game in the style of GTA or Red Dead, the ideal setting would probably be Edo period Yakuza -- basically the same settings and Yakuza Kenzan and Ishin. The main touchstones would be Zatoichi and Yojimbo. Edit: And Lady Snowblood.

Last edited: