• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortal Mario

Apr 15, 2019
UK
I was one that when the game was shown at the Xbox Showcase, wasn't drawn to it at all because of the visual novel format. Didn't like it. But then I played it and after about 20-30 minutes, it really started to win me over. I can honestly say I like it and am currently up to Chapter 3. If you have Game Pass, at least give it a shot and see if you feel the same way about it afterwards.

Agree. Hopefully people with Game Pass who are a little put off by the art style at least give it a chance, I think a decent amount of skeptics would actually enjoy it. Personally I'm really glad to get these kinds of games on GP alongside more traditional gaming experiences, and hopefully it finds at least enough sucess for MS to keep financing them.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who loves visual novels this game was a huge nope. Hate the art style and nothing about the plot read as remotely interesting. If you can't grab the kind of people who already play these kind of games what audience is it being sold to?

Basically feel the same. The general vibe of the game reminds me of Hotel Dusk in that it's kinda more of a grounded adventure game, but even though it's a DS game it's got an incredibly strong and distinctive art style which is immediately eye catching. As Dusk Falls aesthetic just doesn't gel well with the overall feel of the narrative, at least from the onset so at for me, I'm not at all even drawn to or interested in trying it out.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
That visual style sure isn't helping ...

I'm going to play it because of the positive reception, and I thought it seemed interesting enough from the trailers, but again, unappealing visual style coupled with being in a niche genre and launching alongside a social media phenomenon in Stray ... the odds are heavily stacked against it.

I'm just glad these smaller projects get to exist regardless of sales expectations. Art ideally should be funded because the passion and the message and its cultural value is more important than the money it brings in. The medium would be boring and stagnant if the only projects that got any funding were risk-averse, homogenized, almost sure-fire sales successes.

AEF1907

Fallen Guardian Corrupted by Vengeance
Dec 18, 2021
That sucks. I'm playing it with my girlfriend right now and it's not bad at all. The artstyle takes some time getting used to tho.

People say that was to be expected since it's a niche title. But these numbers are catastrophic even for a niche title.
Also VN on Steam (and Switch) actually perform pretty well normally. Doubt it will do much better on Xbox if you look for example at the sales of Ace attorney colection. Maybe PC Gamepass can save it.

JMcAddledMind

Sep 22, 2021
It'd be a shame if it doesn't reach a decent audience. I have really enjoyed what I've played so far (up to the end of chapter 3), and I've been anxious to get home to see more of it.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
If this was true it should be on the most played list right?

I hope at least the devs made their money back with the game pass deal. Always hoping for the best for a studio that tries to be better than being under David Cage.
Keep in mind that this list takes a few days to update.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
It also just feels all around janky.

The floating cursor controlled by a joystick feels laggy and weird, the UI and general presentation feels like it is held together with duct tape.

And then you have this really divisive overall art style. On top of that, the way the 2D art style is integrated into the 3D environments is often very wonky.

Overall it's just a really mediocre feeling game.

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
It's also a pretty bad story. The want to be "prestige TV" but it feels more like Tuesday night procedural episode 148.

The "story spanning across 30 years" is not there, it's borderline false advertising. It's a story happening in 1998 with a glorified epilogue 15 years later and hints of stuff happening before that you need to pay extra attention to (and play multiple different story branches) to get the clues of.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Was there even any marketing for this game? Honestly, if it wasn't for this site I would have never even heard of this game.

That plus releasing the same day as Stray (which was top selling on Steam) didn't do it any favors either.

It was shown on the recent Microsoft E3 presentation.. one of the biggest shows of the year. Lol.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
Now that I'm done with Stray, I'll be hopping on to this game tomorrow on Game Pass. Looks very interesting.

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't help it being 70gb for people to even bother giving it a shot. I mean wtf is all that data used on.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
you mean to tell me As Dusk Falls doesn't have the same broad appeal for tiktok like an accurate cat game with pretty graphics

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
Besides being part of an E3 Microsoft conference twice, being part of the Tribeca Festival stream, having a Kinda Funny launch day stream and being pushed by Xbox social media? Yeah. No marketing.
Hmmm. I do remember seeing it in the xbox conference, then felt like the game just disappeared until release.

Stray on the other hand kept popping up in social media everywhere and in various games discussion i saw.

Weird.

Jroc

Jun 9, 2018
I found the art style ugly back when they showed it at E3.

Games like Life is Strange, Until Dawn and Indigo Prohecy are cool, but legitimate visual novels where you're clicking through 2D backdrops aren't my cup of tea.

Basically if this was a Netflix show I probably wouldn't bother watching it. Only way I'm sinking time into a legitimate visual novel is if it's somehow the second coming of christ.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
now this is a reset era thread. The game is very niche I plan on playing on gamepass eventually which is the best part about gamepass

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Hmmm. I do remember seeing it in the xbox conference, then felt like the game just disappeared until release.

Stray on the other hand kept popping up in social media everywhere and in various games discussion i saw.

Weird.

Don't know if we should be comparing one of the largest indie games in the past few years and this visual novel. :P

Jroc

Jun 9, 2018
Doesn't help it being 70gb for people to even bother giving it a shot. I mean wtf is all that data used on.

Wait WHAT?

How is that possible? Does the entire game consist of uncompressed 8K PNG files? Kojima-tier uncompressed audio for every language? An indisidous psychological ploy to promote XCloud?

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Wait WHAT?

How is that possible? Does the entire game consist of uncompressed 8K PNG files? Kojima-tier uncompressed audio for every language? An indisidous psychological ploy to promote XCloud?
its 70 GB on PC (for some reason, I think with the HD textures and such automatically bundled). But yeah. Kinda redonk.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

Wait WHAT?

For what it's worth, the Xbox app shows 70gb but when it starts it's actually 20. I think it's 70 if you want high res textures or something

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017

Weird.
Strange, I had never heard of Stray until this week. As Dusk Falls was on my radar from the Xbox conference, but I forgot about it until recently.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Wait WHAT?

I presume it has something to do with 4K art assets. The Series S version is 20 something GB I think? It's 70GB on Series X and PC.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Does it really matter? MS is all about diversifing thier GP portfolio and this is a perfect game to spice it up along with pentiment and a couple other rumored projects. GP is still in the growth stage.. doubt ADF not lighting up the charts bothers them as much as era members want it to .
Saw the sales (or lack thereof) coming a mile away haha…

With that being said though, the whole point of funding this game is so that it didn't need to rely on actual sales to still bring value to the MS ecosystem. I'm sure MS is just fine with it's performance. Pretty much zero marketing $$ spent, and is used to prop up game passes diverse offerings.
This 100%.
you mean to tell me As Dusk Falls doesn't have the same broad appeal for tiktok like an accurate cat game with pretty graphics
🤣🤣

Last edited:

BrucCLea13k87

Oct 27, 2017
You it looks hideous from an artistic point. Narrative games are the worst IMO. I'd much rather read a novel or watch a TV show.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
It's a game made by a small team, not a lot of marketing and probably had dev costs covered with the Gamepass deal. Calling it a bomb is just hyperbolic when we have no idea of expectations. Not like they would have expected it to be a massive seller immediately, and a narrative game is probably going to lean towards people using Gamepass for it.

The Grizz

Oct 27, 2017
The game is actually very good. I'm not into these style of games too and initially judged it by its art style, but I'm 2 of 6 chapters in and it's a really well done game. The voice acting is top notch and the story so far is extremely engaging. I'm sure more people will try it eventually, but it's running up some tough competition right now.

LD50

Banned
May 11, 2022
Compare the marketing for this to that of Stray and you'll see why this is getting so few players. It's a shame cause I really like the look of it, and will be looking to pick it up soon.. but seeing it sell so little makes me feel like there'll be a sale sooner rather than later for it, so I might just wait (sorry devs!)

Hopefully it finds an audience, I love these sort of interactive dramas.
Honestly believe WOM did most of the heavy lifting for Stray.

Goat Simulator, Maneater, Life Of Black Tiger, Untitled Goose Game. People really like to get the animal experience.

greenbird

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
its 70 GB on PC (for some reason, I think with the HD textures and such automatically bundled). But yeah. Kinda redonk.

That's wild. Does the Xbox App and Windows store still hold your storage space prisoner after uninstalling games? Kinda want to try this game eventually and some other stuff on PC game pass, but not enough to throw 70 GB into a potential void. Those horror stories have scared me away for years.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
That's wild. Does the Xbox App and Windows store still hold your storage space prisoner after uninstalling games? Kinda want to try this game eventually and some other stuff on PC game pass, but not enough to throw 70 GB into a potential void. Those horror stories have scared me away for years.
no I don't think it does. I've tested it plenty of times personally

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
The most damning thing I can say about As Dusk Falls is that after having watched a gameplay video, it reminds me a lot of Plumbers Don't Wear Ties.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Like so many others before it, this game will have to find its audience gradually. The gaming gods chose Stray to be the spotlight attraction this week. This is nothing new.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a gamepass game, it's fine.

It's also really good imo, if you can get past the art direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.