• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is Arthur a good man?

• Yes

Votes: 289 36.4%
  • No

Votes: 289 36.4%
  • Maybe

Votes: 216 27.2%

• Total voters

kylecoley182

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing though the game for the first time today, and I'm getting the feeling Arthur is really a good man at heart. FYI I do know what happens in the late game so spoilers are okay.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'd say in the context of everyone else in the RDR2 world, sure, he's good enough inside.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on how you play him. If you just shot up a saloon for giggles before hogtying a nun and leaving her on the railroad tracks, cut scenes don't mean much.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
No, he isn't. He's ruined countless lives as a muscle for the Van Der Linde gang. Even Charles admits this in the epilogue, but he wanted to do the best for those closest to him in the end and I think that's pretty admirable. Nobody's perfect, after all.

Guys like him and John were manipulated and primed for the outlaw life from a very young age, Arthur came to realize this as he got older and wiser but it's a shame he couldn't truly break free from it in the end. He wanted John to move on and even gave up his life so that he could but John was a naive fool who by exacting revenge on Micah in Arthur's name, doomed both his fate, Abigail's fate and especially Jack's fate who he especially wanted to distance himself from their desperado lifestyle. That's the true tragedy of the Red Dead Redemption games.

"You did your worst. You tried your best. Now it's time to rest"

This best sums up Arthur's character and his arc in my opinion.

Last edited:

shtolky

Oct 27, 2017
He is a bad mad who still tries to do good things and is ultimately likable (if you play him a certain way). In this regard he is like Vito Corleone, a mob boss who orders people killed, but you can't help but like him and see that he does try at times to do the right thing for his family.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
If you play honorable Arthur from the get go, then it's obvious he has a lot of heart, but he still ends up killing lots of innocent people for the gang, no way around that...

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
He's not. He wants to be, but he's not. And that's kind of the whole point of his character. He knows he's not a good person, he knows he doesn't deserve peace or prosperity but he still tries anyway.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He's a deeply flawed individual who still has something of a moral compass.

Overall I'd argue he's a better man than Marston.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
No. He is a shitty person that has a hint of remorse and lives among shittier people, but he's still a shitty person.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
No. He's reflective on what he's done, especially near the end, but he is absolutely a bad person. It doesn't matter if you do low or high honor either, he has an engrained history running with the crew and has done terrible things to people.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
No, not even remotely. He might have some morals and rules he follows that mean he doesn't just murder anyone without thought or out of pleasure like some other's in the gang, but he still robs, cheats and kills people constantly for his and his gang's benefit.

He could easily not do the things he does, but he still prefers an "easier" life taking from others rather than earning his own way in an honest life. It's made all the worse by the fact that he knows all this and is aware that he's not a good person but tries to sooth his conscience by acts of contrition and kindness to try and make up for it, not that it ever will.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I mean its not smart to ask this if you are not done with the game imo.
You are gonna get spoiled.

ragingbegal

Oct 27, 2017
You can play him as virtuous as you want, and he still kills and ruins people. No, he is not a good man - as much as he may wish he were.

iWannaHat

Jul 1, 2019
He murders people on trains to steal their stuff. This is mandatory for the game to move forward. Doesn't matter how nice you play the rest of the game. He has innocent blood on his hands. He's still the hero of the game, but a good man he ain't.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
No. He's reflective on what he's done, especially near the end, but he is absolutely a bad person. It doesn't matter if you do low or high honor either, he has an engrained history running with the crew and has done terrible things to people.

Hell, he even knows it. He knows that his getting tuberculosis was a direct consequence of the terrible things he did in the name of the group. If he hadn't tried to shake down that man he wouldn't have been infected with the disease.

The conversation he has with the nun near the end of his route makes it pretty clear that the story is less about whether Arthur is a good man or not (he isn't) and more about what he chooses to do with the time allotted to him. It's about whether he attempts to leave the world in a better state than it was before he got there, or if he chooses to pursue his own self-interest to the bitter end and allow himself to be consumed by his fears of the person he thinks he is.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
He was a man who made all the bad choices, but he's not bad at heart. He's not good either. He's certainly better than John imo, I can't stand the fucker lol

HamCormier

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
This is great! Most people have this idea on Arthur based on what he said at the end, and what he says relate to how you played the game...

Fascinating! I ended up with High Honor and I loved the last scene, when he said to Dutch "I tried to be a good man" and dies on the mountain top!

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Like, it's actually impossible to be an objectively good person in a GTA or RDR.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
"There is a good man within you, Arthur. But he is wrestling with a giant, and the giant wins time and again"

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
What makes me lean to yes he is a good man is how he turned on leopold in the end. He saw the stupidity of it all, leopold loaned money to people he knew could not pay and then sent arthur to collect on desperate destitute people. Its what killed arthur in the end and he threw leopold out because of it.

For most of his other actions, playing him honorably or not, hes a bad man wanting to atone.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
What makes me lean to yes he is a good man is how he turned on leopold in the end. He saw the stupidity of it all, leopold loaned money to people he knew could not pay and then sent arthur to collect on desperate destitute people. Its what killed arthur in the end and he threw leopold out because of it.

For most of his other actions, playing him honorably or not, hes a bad man wanting to atone.
Such a great scene

calder

Oct 25, 2017
Only if you grade on a very generous scale.

For me, while he clearly yearned to be a better person deep down throughout the game he still couldn't ever quite make the changes necessary to actually be better, except in comparison to a few even worse companions. He did make some small meaningful changes by the end but that was clearly a result of his illness and he only get's partial credit for that from me.

So I'd say on the whole he was a bad man who did terrible things, but he was a product of his environment and, at least, tried to be better and made some modest steps in that direction by the end of his life.

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
He's a fully flawed man who just wants the best for his gang. Of course, his actions cannot be justified, even though he does a lot of bad things just to survive. But the game's able to humanize him, showing his soft and vulnerable side, and how he desperately tries to redeem himself.

This scene always crushes me. It portrays his character and story perfectly.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
He's a bad person that eventually realizes it and becomes repentant, but by then he is too entrenched in the gang lifestyle to change.

In a different world where he wasn't groomed to be a killer, he'd be a well-respected member of any community.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
A man who loved horses can't be all bad.my Arthur was a kind man in his later days. His only crime was to have chosen to follow a despot.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
No. Which is why he's compelling. Albeit I don't think he's as good as people on the board will attest him being, he's a good person who took the wrong path, which makes him interesting.

I've seen a lot of people in other topics about other games talk about people being "bad" or "assholes" or "problematic" as if that's not a good thing to make a player or viewer think about their motives or what they're doing. I think Arthur Morgan works opposite as Dutch so well because he realizes "how bad he is" while Dutch always thinks he's right. It's a super interesting narrative.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I mean it shows how well he was written imo. That we cant really say he was bad or good. Like its black and white.
I think he is one of my favorite characters i ever played.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
Not really, and he very much acknowledges this a lot throughout the game.

I played him high honor so he absolutely does try to make an effort to redeem himself in some fashion. Granted, a lot of it was spurred by his sickness, but the fact he used what little time he had left to help people speaks to his character.

So he was a bad dude, but certainly not beyond redemption imo.

Plum

May 31, 2018
If Red Dead Redemption 2 were a film instead of a game then it'd be much easier for Arthur to be seen as a good man, but because it's a game Arthur needs to kill literally hundreds if not thousands of completely innocent people in his quest for redemption.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yes, but he was brought up by horrible people and thought he was a Robin Hood figure.

He's one of the few people in the group to have any semblance of morals

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
If you play him good: yes, although his way of living is definitely wrong and corrupt, he sees good in people, both his gang but strangers as well, tries to empathize and help whoever he can, and ultimately tries to save as many people as possible from a life of misery and death they were all led into

If you play him bad: yes and no, he is a man that does bad things and was raised to do bad things, has a moral combass (albeit one with lower standards than us) and tries to do all of this for the sake of the people who he cares about, still tries to break free in the end

I would say he's definitely more good than bad (unless you play him as a psycho lol), one who lived in a vicious circle of murder from which he is unable to exit. Now wether his actions are justifiable or not, wether he was deserving of redemption or not, that is up to the player.