• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I have a 49 4k samsung tv. It is possible around 90 cm to 2 meters from the sofa. It is all good.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
As someone who bought a 50 inch unless you've got a pretty low and deep desk I probably wouldn't, I find I need at least 4-5 feet to comfortably get the whole image and not be moving my head

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wish this would go on sale in Australia. LG site just says "very soon".

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
The general rule of thumb is to take the diagonal screen size and double it, and that's the distance you want to be, with a range of acceptability a little closer and farther than that.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
There's no "correct" answer to this question. I used to have a 48" and I definitely felt like I had to sit that close to get the most out of it, but that wouldn't be comfortable for everybody. I have a 75" now and I still sit pretty damn close to it if I really want to be immersed in a game.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
EcstaticPlumpFoxhound-size_restricted.gif

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
No.

I have the 55'' LG CX and I'm at about that, and I could go with a bigger TV still.

Whoever tells you otherwise is just jealous of your setup ;) (kidding).

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
The optimal is 6.75 feet for normal tv viewing at that size.
Optimal is 100 pixels per degree, as that's the point where additional resolution has severely diminished returns. For a 48″ 4K screen, that works out to be 5 ft exactly.

no such thing as too close
Personally I find that a 25° vertical (or 60° horizontal) viewing angle is the upper limit for how close I can comfortably sit to any display for an extended period of time - and that's 4¼ ft with this TV.

This might help. Not an expert but seems like it might work. https://youtu.be/x9n8Hz_RLqw
This is a LTT video
I think this is a better video for discussing the practicality of using a 48" display as a monitor, and issues specific to this OLED:

It does overlook the reduced image quality (lots of color banding) when the TV is in PC mode - though most reviews fail to mention that about these OLEDs.

Having used a 46" display as a monitor for years in the past, I have since found it more comfortable to be using a 34" ultra-wide monitor; but that's partially because the TV was mounted about 4″ above the desk, and had a further 3″ bezel along the bottom edge - so it was too tall.
If I was doing it again, I'd probably mount it to an arm on a height-adjustable desk, so that it could be pushed back against the wall, angled, and lowered to place the bottom edge right on the desk.
You really need a deep desk, and a keyboard arm/tray to make it work well too.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
3 feet is too close for that size. You should be about ~5-7 feet away according to optimal calculations (any further and you'll start to fall in the "text in games is way too small" category). Of course it could work for you, but for most people that distance would be too close.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Smaller display = more comfortable gaming experience. For me at least. You don't have to move your head around much when the screen is smaller :P 48 inch monitor looks absurd and I can't see enjoying any FPS game on such a thing.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
It's a bit close. I'd say 4.5-5' is optimal. I prefer the THX guidelines for viewing distance.

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
Nope, I am getting one for my desk to replace my second monitor and act as my primary console TV and my secondary PC monitor and it will be roughly 3 feet away. I am right now 3-4 feet depending on where I lean back from a 43' and it is absolutely not too close. Go for it - and let me know if you find one below MSRP - just looking for any sale so I can hit the buy button.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
While can work as a monitor, i do belive 3ft is a bit (if not much) too close to make gaming enjoyable on it.

I feel it also depends on the kinds of games you play.
Like strategy games with loads of UI elements along the edge of the screen - bad.
Racing games, FPS, Flight sims, where it creates further immersion and your focus tends to be on the center of the screen most of the time anyways - good.

The issue with the LG CX in the LTT video is the fact that it needs quite some clearance in the back due to its weird stand.

So if that's the TV / monitor you're thinking about, you might wanna think about wall mounting it, lest you lose like 30cm viewing distance due to the monitor's stand.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It has the added benefit that you can use your new monitor as a VR headset at that distance.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
I use a 50 inch as a sole computer monitor. There's some head turning but it's mostly worth it. I don't "need" a second screen but I also don't have room for one cause it would obstruct my primary screen.

just depends on your set up.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
I sit about 7 feet away from my 55" and it's not close enough for my liking. Strain on my eyes sets in rather quickly in some games.

If the monitor market wasn't so garbage and behind the times I'd get back to my desk asap.

So you're good in my book.

jkk411

Jul 22, 2018
I recently setup a 55" OLED off to the side of my desktop for big screen gaming and streaming, and I'm maybe 4 feet away from it. At that distance it works surprisingly well. 3 seems a bit tight, but I could see it working.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
If you still clearly "see" the 4K resolution advantage, you're sitting perfect.
Sitting too far away from it makes a 4K TV kinda pointless cause you can't perceive the 4K anymore.

gebler

Oct 27, 2017
If you still clearly "see" the 4K resolution advantage, you're sitting perfect.
Sitting too far away from it makes a 4K TV kinda pointless cause you can't perceive the 4K anymore.
For me it's not just about resolution, but also how much of the picture that's in my central vision vs. in the periphery. If I sit too close to a large screen, too much would be in the periphery for my taste, requiring me to move my gaze (and even head) annoyingly much and still risk missing things I would have easily seen further away from the screen. That's less of an issue when a computer monitor is used for web browsing, programming, writing, etc, since you can always benefit from a large screen by having many smaller windows for different purposes rather than a large one. I sit 22" from a 27" monitor and don't like to watch full screen video or play fullscreen games at that distance. It's just too close, and it has nothing to do with the resolution — it's excellent for work/browsing.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
My 55" is around 1.5m away and is around 10" too small for my liking in retrospect.

So no, it's ok.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
48 inches is too big still.

With my current desk set up I could probably be pretty comfortable with something around 35". Heck, if they moved that big plastic part that doesn't let you place it close against the wall to the front I could push it back further and probably even justify 40". But 48" is just too much. I don't know when to expect OLED's to reach that size, but whoever cracks it first for around these prices is going to essentially have the high-end gaming monitor segment to themselves.

Deleted member 76797

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
Nope, I am getting one for my desk to replace my second monitor and act as my primary console TV and my secondary PC monitor and it will be roughly 3 feet away. I am right now 3-4 feet depending on where I lean back from a 43' and it is absolutely not too close. Go for it - and let me know if you find one below MSRP - just looking for any sale so I can hit the buy button.

costco has the best deal right now plus their own 5 year warranty