• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 23, 2017
I used to play a ton of Armored Core 3 back on the PS2, and came back to the series with Formula Front on the PSP which was somewhat enjoyable.

When Armored Core For Answer released, I thought it was phenomenal. I was seriously hooked on that game, trying to create mechs that could use Over Boost infinitely.

If I remember right, boosting in general was pretty crazy in that game, it was so fast it was ridiculous.

Not to mention, White Glint was like, the face of Armored Core for me for a long time.

I did get Armored Core Verdict Day when it came out back in 2012 or 2013 but I couldn't get into it like I did For Answer.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yea it's dead. From has more successful games to make.

guess they could always make Armored Souls?

Cameron122

Rescued from SR388
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
There has been some talk that Miyazaki wants to do another one. Hope we see it on PS5/PC/XSX

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
it might get a remake/reboot someday

if you clap your hands and beliebe

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
I'm still sad Verdict Day got so fucked by the release timing(ps4/one launches) and never got ported to the new systems or pc Online focused game with no player base ;-;

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I believe we'll get another one. Some day.
In the mean time Daemon X Machina was alright.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I think it is dead.

Far more interested in a Chromehounds sequel. That game was misunderstood by reviewers.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I hope it comes back, even a reboot would be great. from was fucking prolific with this game and there is a severe lack of games anywhere close to this series

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Armored Core comes back I expect it to be entirely different than what fans are use to.

Would love to care about FromSoft again if they made more mech titles but it is what it is.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Keeping hope alive.

I still somewhat resent Souls for basically leading to From to abandon the mecha side of their gaming catalog, in general. But especially for the sake of ACE and AC.

Dec 14, 2017
No, it lives on in our memories. And in the upcoming AC6, which from is going to announce any day now... yup, definitely. Any. Day...

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. This was way before online console gaming was mainstream. Sega owns the license so it would have to be spiritua sucessor.
I don't know who actually owns the license anymore, it seems so weird every time I look it up, a US company (the guy whos making MAV) seems to have bought the naming rights to ChromeHounds? idk anymore man.

But yeah a new ChromeHounds would be awesome, if it came out after Dark Souls when From hype started, it would have KILLED.

Kientin

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's dead by a long shot. But it may be a while before we get another. I'm confident we will see it again someday.

I don't get that "dead" feeling like I do with something like Ogre Battle or whatever.

Last edited:

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
They have said they are making another Armored Core for a decade, but have never given much real indication there is one ever coming. I think it's dead, yeah.

Alex Connolly

Oct 27, 2017
Kagoshima, Japan
Might be an unpopular opinion, but I preferred the clunkier, slower earlier efforts to the modern booster-focused craziness. If it returns, hope they can still cater somewhat to the older, slower, more sclerotic hardware enthusiasts.

Last edited:

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
Not that they didn't milk AC for all it was worth, but I certainly miss when From made a bunch of weird shit instead of Souls and Souls-like accessories.

I'd like to hope they revisit it some day but I wonder how much different it would be...it's hard to imagine them stepping back from making games the scale of Souls, Bloodborne and Sekiro. On a semi-related note, I definitely got an AC feel from Bloodborne while fighting other hunters, just the way you glide around as you move, with short dashes.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I think it's dead, From is the Souls developer now and won't do much else. Armored Souls is a pipedream because AC and Souls just are too far removed from each other for a fusion to exist that doesn't mostly discard one or the other.

AC 5/VD was more beginner friendly than, say, fA. I felt like I got a much better understanding of its systems and how to play it than I ever did with fA (which was my first AC so that was a case of going straight into the deep end). Part of that was the simpler systems and nicer controls (no need to hold a trigger to just do regular boosted movement on the ground) but another part was the open mission selection whereas fA would only let you continue the campaign or work your way up those tournament ladders with no way to repeat anything at will.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
AC 5/VD was more beginner friendly than, say, fA.

Waaa? I thought 5 was way too complicated for its own good, or at least they tried to present it as such.

I'd love for them to crack out a new AC, especially with a budget. I do think however the series would need to tone down their "hardcore mecha" aura and let people know its way more simple than the perception around it makes it seem.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Waaa? I thought 5 was way too complicated for its own good, or at least they tried to present it as such.

I'd love for them to crack out a new AC, especially with a budget. I do think however the series would need to tone down their "hardcore mecha" aura and let people know its way more simple than the perception around it makes it seem.
Might be a presentation issue with 5, it's pretty straightforward with no stabilizers and such, movement is fairly similar regardless of build since you can't fly, only wall jump. The armor deflection logic is simply if armor against the damage type > the attack damage then the attack is deflected and reduced to a fraction of its normal damage. I found that the ability to toggle gliding made it waaaaay easier to control. Yeah, that scout mode stuff is a bit weird but I don't think it matters that much unless you're really doing that 4 mechs + 1 operator multiplayer stuff. Programming UNACs was complex but optional in VD. You could get some good results from it. I once ran into a player who fielded 4 custom UNACs and played the operator role. Seriously BS that you had to buy DLC to have more than one custom UNAC at a time tho.

AC has the weird duality of being a complex sim in the hangar and an arcade game on the field. Games that use fixed mecha designs with the same combat style can probably reach people much more easily. The Gundam Versus games kinda go into that direction but IIRC the combat is a bit more "sticky" than the momentum based style of AC. Maybe a modern Virtual On would do it?

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Might be an unpopular opinion, but I preferred the clunkier, slower earlier efforts than the modern booster-focused craziness. If it returns, hope they can still cater somewhat to the older, slower, more sclerotic hardware enthusiasts.
I like you.
AC 1 -3 were the perfect mecha games for me. Playing against my best friend for hours and hours is one of my favourite gaming memories.

Kunjiru

Apr 14, 2020
I think it might be coming. Hopefully. I know I would buy the shit out of new AC. Anyway, let's first wait for them to finally release Elden Ring 😠

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Can someone who gushes over Armored Souls explain to me how the game flow of that would actually work? Because I just absolutely cannot imagine it. It sounds like making a liquid house.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I certainly hope not, and I think the series got some nods in Japan what with special editions of the soundtrack for the franchise being released and whatnot. But as far as a new game goes, there don't appear to be any actual news to be seen. ACV was kinda subpar, IMO, so I'm hoping the next installment is very different from that.

Also, why would you even want to "reboot" a series which consists of sorta reboots already lol. Just give us the next numbered AC game.

Last edited:

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
I can't imagine Armored Souls would be anything other than just another Souls game, except with a mecha skin. That might be cool, but I want a proper AC game, not some weird hybrid that appeals more to Souls fans.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
I thought it was heavily rumored that a new AC is being made? Or maybe I'm remembering wrong

You're not.

It's supposedly being made, but since Miyazaki talked about it so long ago one has to wonder if it was canned eventually.

www.resetera.com

From Software Development & Speculation - Everything we know about their current projects

“It was never our real motive for From Software to be the Dark Souls-only company.”-Hidetaka Miyazaki, 2016 [President of Fromsoftware] “I feel that From Software’s title lineup will need a little more variation… We have dark fantasies like Dark Souls, of course, but I’d also like for us to...

"Armored Core is one of the pillars of From Software's lineup"

https://www.ign.com/articles/2016/04/27/dark-souls-developer-already-working-on-new-ip [IGN, April 27th 2016. Updated in May]

"We are making a new Armored Core. We are still in the early stages of development." I asked how early, and Miyazaki replied, "I can't talk about how early it is." –Hidetaka Miyazaki

https://kotaku.com/miyazaki-gives-c...m_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow [June 21st, 2016]

"we don't intend to end the [Armored Core] series as it is, so we'd be happy if you could wait a little longer."

https://www.ign.com/articles/2017/12/04/from-software-on-the-future-of-armored-core-franchise [IGN, Dec 4th, 2017]

"These are very heavily inspired by Japanese robot anime – we use that as a base of inspiration – but if we were to make something modern, something new, we'd need to consider how to appeal to Europeans or Americans."

"Obviously we'd put our own flavor in it as well," he continued, "but we need to consider how it would appeal to a wide audience and people who didn't get brought up on robot anime."

Regarding the potential of 'Armored Souls': "We don't have any immediate plans to fuse dark fantasy and mecha,"

"We feel that each stand quite solidly on their own. But we do take feedback and reactions from our dark fantasy titles and we do wonder how we could apply that then to a modern mecha game. And this is something that we'd be definitely willing to consider if we did head along that new mecha direction." - Masanori Takeuchi [Producer]

https://www.destructoid.com/from-so...ould-approach-a-new-armored-core-557800.phtml [Destructoid, June 21st, 2019]

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know... It seemed like it was on the way back a while ago, but we haven't heard anything in a long time now. I sure hope it isn't dead.