• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do You Still Regularly Play Your Wii U?

• Yes

Votes: 111 18.1%
  • No

Votes: 503 81.9%

• Total voters

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I never played it "regularly" to begin with, Only when it had a good exclusive I cared about, which wasn't very often.

FinalArcadia

Nov 4, 2020
USA
I play it every day to check in on Wii Fit U for the measurements and a quick Advanced Step + 10 minute Hula Hoop warm-up before I eat breakfast. Other than that, though... I don't really use it for much most of the time.

HylianMaster2020

alt account
Banned
Jun 30, 2020
People shouldn't judge the Wii U's tablet and nothing against the Switch but it doesn't have the Zelda games like the Wii U does.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I don't. It is still connected. I would like to. My big issue is that the Pro Controller uses mini USB. So it's never charged.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I used to play mario kart 8 vanilla on it a LOT ( i don't likle deluxe too chaotic with the double item bullshit ) till i gave it to my littlel cousin now he plays mk8 everyday.

its a great Mario kart/ smash /Splatoon machine honestly you can still find LOTS of players playing MK8 and smash online anytime pretty much.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I don't and I'm sure my gamepad battery is dead for good considering that thing would lose charge even while off.

I also backed up all my games and just play them on Cemu when I get the itch to. Much better experience that way.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
Not super often, but yeah I still have some games on it I like to return to. Mostly VC stuff at this point.

emb

Oct 28, 2017
Not quite regularly, but pretty often my niece will want to play Splatoon. And as far as I remember, 2 doesn't have local multiplayer, and even if it did there wouldn't be that cool built-in split screen.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
No, but I have been feeling like Metroid Prime Trilogy again somewhat recently

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Mine's still plugged in, I just haven't turned it on in months. I've been meaning to do GameCube emulation on it, just haven't gotten around to it.

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'd probably play it more if the gamepad's battery wasn't total ass. Last I checked, I get, like, maybe an hour before the little light turns red... ?

But the system does have one of the generation's hidiest of hidden gems, a game which really cannot be faithfully replicated on any other platform (as far as I can imagine, at least): Affordable Space Adventures.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Still got some Virtual Console games that arent on the Switch there so I come back to them every once in a while.

Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
Not really. I have a few games I still want to play on it, but I haven't really gotten around to it yet. It's currently not even plugged in.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Not regularly using it, but I still have it. But now with Pikmin 3 and Mario 3D World hitting the Switch, I don't think I'll return to it outside of homebrew in the future. Oh, and maybe playing Yoshi's Woolly World. I know it's on 3DS, but I've no doubt it looks much better on Wii U.

IceMarker

Oct 26, 2017
United States
It's pretty much just my Mario Kart 8 and Breath of the Wild machine, since I don't want to re-buy them on Switch, and I have many games on Switch to beat instead of replay those prior two fantastic games.

CONCHOBAR

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny that this thread pops up now, of all times. I literally boxed up my Wii U 2 days ago after having not played it since the Switch came out. But, ever since putting it away, I've been itching to set it back up, maybe finally finish Xenoblade Chronicles X, or replay Wonderful 101 (despite owning it on Steam and Switch), or even load up some Super Mario 3D World before Mario's 35th is over.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Not anymore. But we played the living shit out of it. You know, all those Switch games you guys are playing now.
We have a Switch now, for the newer games. We played the WiiU more.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Yes for playing Wii games. I play it very often. At this point the only Wii U games I boot it for are going to be Xenoblade X and Fatal Frame 5 since 3D World is coming in 2 months (and I'm sure the other two will come to Switch too).
But I'll keep it to play Wii games since my Wii doesn't load discs anymore since a few years. Also so far Wii U is my only way to play the first Sin & Punishmen until N64 App eventually comes to Switch. So yeah, I use it a lot.
Wii games I regularly play on it are Sin & Punishment 2, Fatal Frame 2, Super Mario Galaxy 2, and Super Paper Mario. This month, I bought Tatsunoko vs Capcom, Nights, and Harvest Moon Magical Melody. I plan to replay The Last Story too.

DarkLegion

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I have it hooked up to play Metroid Trilogy if Prime 4 is getting shown with no hints of Trilogy HD

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
I still have mine connected because there are at least 10 games on it that I haven't completed yet, including BotW, Mario + Luigi U, and 3D World, but I answered No anyway because I just haven't made the time to play them.

I admit though, I have more fun using the Wii U than the vanilla Switch. I just really, really love the feel of the Gamepad. It feels more like a game controller to me.

Oct 25, 2017
It has a great virtual console lineup. Despite the 3DS remake being superior, I wanted to replay Ocarina of Time on a large television so I recently went through that (still grand, even on the N64). I might hit up Aria of Sorrow next, with the original Paper Mario and one of the GBA F-Zero games soon thereafter.

I also played the first two Pikmin games on the Wii U VC earlier this year. Until Nintendo Switch Online catches up with the Wii U's legacy offerings (never), the Little System Who Couldn't will remain connected!

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I disconnected all the systems I wasn't using any more yesterday and the wii-u was one of them. I think I maybe clocked 30 hour on that system at most.

neoJABES

Dec 23, 2017
Have it hooked it on the tv in our bedroom and play it from time to time if my wife or daughter is using our main tv and I don't feel like playing switch in handheld.

Currently have the Paper Mario Color Splash disk in and also love to play my collection of virtual console games.

Another favorite that I'm always returning to is SonicRacing Transformed. Love this game and feel the Wii U had thebest version of it.

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
I was gonna get into modding/emulation but it seemed like kind of hassle compared to just buying a dedicated device so I'm probably just gonna sell it at this point.

Alent

Oct 28, 2017
No, but as soon as i decide to pack it away i know i'll want to play some Wii games or something. Or Prime Trilogy. Always Prime Trilogy.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Mine is still hooked up to my TV and playable, but nah, I don't touch it very often. I think the last time I played anything on it, I was playing through Bayonetta after having the nostalgia tickled by the Bayo 3 teaser.

I imagine once we see something new about Bayo 3, maybe I'll finally play through Bayo 2.

Merriweather

Oct 29, 2017
Mine is still hooked up. I occasionally use it to check in with Wii Fit. My wife has been pestering me to show her how to set everything up so she can get back to using the Wii Fit regularly.

Arithmetician

Oct 9, 2019
No, but that's because I'm too scared of playing something there and then it getting ported to the Switch later. I am happy I held out on SM3DW, and I am still hoping Xenoblade X makes the jump as well.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Yep. I didn't buy a lot of the Switch ports so I still have DKTF, NSMBU, 3D World, WW HD and TP HD. I was playing some SNES virtual console games a lot too before they got added to Switch

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Kids still like it a lot and play 3d world on it. I played through Twilight Princess HD finally when I had to qurantine a few weeks ago. I restarted Hyrule Warriors around the same time but then just ended up buying the switch version.

I don't know how much longer it'll be hooked up in the big tv, kids are getting old enough for their own small tvs so I'm already probably gonna pass them my ps3, 4, and WiiU