• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 21996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This game, by Yager Developments, released in early access on EGS last week, yet no-one seems to be talking about it?

My very early impressions are quite positive. Despite looking a little like a hybrid of No man's sky, Planetside 2 and Destiny, the game itself reminds me more of The Division's Dark zone.

There are tense moments as you try to defend resources while staving off AI and other players, with extractions being the obvious highlight. The shooting is decent, though strangely the hit feedback is a little lacking against humans. Damage indicators could do with being clearer. Jet pack provides good mobility options, and the undulating terrain and structures provide lots of cover during a gunfight. Forming pacts is the best way to survive, at the risk of sharing the spoils or that person double-crossing you st the last minute. It's a neat mechanic and effortlessly implemented.

I've yet to figure out a lot of stuff in this game, such as why I can't always seem to buy a weapon when I have sufficient credit, but overall it's a simple game to get into and start doing well. It ticks the Battle Royale box too, at least from what I've played you get one respawn then you're permanently out of the game. Not sure whether Pay2Win is a thing in this game yet, I haven't explored the monetisation model yet or found much information online either.

Getting into games is quick while performance and network is also robust for Early access. Only noticed the odd loading hitch here and there, and no obvious bugs or rubber-banding. I must reiterate though that I've put very little time into this game, so would be good to hear other people's experiences.

The Cycle's biggest problem is forging its own identity, at present it feels like an amalgamation of elements from existing games merely done quite well. It's also landing during a particularly competitive release window. For the next couple of weeks I expect my gaming will be dominated by Control and Astral Chain, and the weeks ahead of that look pretty packed too. The Cycle needs to get some momentum going quickly before it's forgotten about.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
I have to say that I think you are the first person I have come across on my twitter timeline or Era that has actually played the game, which has me slighly worried for Yager after their recent games didn't perform so well (Dreadnought is still alive, I think?).

But I agree that from what I have seen of the game, their biggest challenge will be to convince people that they are offering something new that they can't already get in several other games.

Vintage

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Since Gamescom I was wondering about this game, because it launched and no one is talking about it. How is it for playing alone? Are there enough players?

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Was excited about it and actually participated in the pre-alpha demo's but then they went to Epic. Which is fine of course but that also means it'll be off my radar until it comes back to Steam, again.

OP
OP

Deleted member 21996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Since Gamescom I was wondering about this game, because it launched and no one is talking about it. How is it for playing alone? Are there enough players?

As stated getting into matches is quick. The limited modes (3), smaller lobbies (20 players) and single map (another one is on way) mean the player-base aren't spread too thinly. Solo is all I've played, but this doesn't mean you stay solo. Forming pacts and breaking them is one of the main features of this game.

Give it a go, did I say it was free to play and a quick install?

Vintage

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
It's fun!
So I installed it last night and played several matches. It has the addiction element of battle royale, but I'd say it's battle royale for people who don't like BRs. 20 players are spawned around the map and you have a time limit to do various objectives, the one how does the most and survives wins. These set of objectives is random for each match, these are not very creative, but still you can think of some tactics around them. Killing monsters grants you loot and money, which you can use to buy gear. It actually has A LOT similarities to Counter Strike BR mode.
Pros: Shooting is fun, looting is exciting, gameplay loop is engaging.
Problems:
*UI: From main menu to in-game UI, it's pretty trash. Hard to understand menus, random layout for each of them, different button sizes, the whole look does not feel premium. You can pickup abilities, but I couldn't find their descriptions. Buy menu has mouse enabled, but if you move to the side, cursor disappears.
*Objectives: Some objectives were unclear what to do exactly, some of them get repetitive or boring.
*Traversal: The limits of the map is unclear, I've ran into some invisible walls. While jetpack saves movement from sucking, it can be frustrating to run out of it just before reaching the edge - there's no ledge grab mechanic, so you just fall and stand awkwardly until jetpack bar recharges. Overall movement felt slow, sometimes floaty and sluggish. When you reload, you are limited to walking speed, which just doesn't feel right. Everything doesn't have that snappiness like Apex Legends or other games.
*Guns: Does not have that umpf feeling, some, like submachine gun or pistol sounds good, but others sound like toy guns.
*Progression: What kind of progression will there be? Is it just match after match? Kinda expected it to be sort of a looter-shooter, but it looks everything resets each match and there's no overarching mechanic.
*Pact mechanic: You can team up with players you meet, but I've no idea how it works. Sometimes it says "Press Y to join", but when I do, my character denies it. Why? Others obviously don't get it either because I had a group of 4 awkwardly standing in one spot not shooting, but just trying to join party and it kept failing.

To sum up, I really liked the idea and the general gameplay loop, but implementation is noticeably lacking. It's obviously early access, but the question is, how much will it improve? If it does, will there be anyone playing it then, especially since it's Epic exclusive and there are already a multitude of battle royale clones? Will people be interested in the game that's definitely not a triple-A title?
It's free, so I suggest everyone try it if you're interested. Not the best, but fun to waste some time.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Been playing The Cycle first time in ~mid 2018 and I honestly thought that it would turn out to be one of the bigger titles for 2019.
It feels like their switch to the EGS kinda killed its hype but I hope that Yager can somehow turn it around. That studio would deserve a hit.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They made a mistake making the game EGS exclusive. Game needs world of mouth to get off the floor, and nobody is playing with the minimal userbase on the EGS. This is a game that would thrive on steam with user forums, etc.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
They made a mistake making the game EGS exclusive. Game needs world of mouth to get off the floor, and nobody is playing with the minimal userbase on the EGS. This is a game that would thrive on steam with user forums, etc.

i am honestly not convinced it would thrive on Steam either. You still need marketing to get awareness on Steam, where the size of the user base is balanced against the sheer number of games.

there is just very little promotion happening around the game, which will make it hard to find a player base on any platform.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I played a couple hours of it. I like the general idea of the game more than I like the execution. Enemy AI is rough and the objectives are really simple. There also aren't enough incentives to form alliances with other players. Pretty much everyone shoots on sight even though PvP isn't really incentived.

Spamlynguist

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif