• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
I have seen zero discussion on this expansion since it released today. I know AC Valhalla isn't popular, but I am genuinely surprised by how little discussion there seems to be about this expansion, especially after it was promised to be huge.

Personally, I have not played it, but I am curious how folks like it. I can't really find any impressions anywhere outside of normal review outlets, who seem mixed on it. So is anyone playing it right now? Does it fulfill the promise of being a massive, game-changing expansion?

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I desperately want to. But I didn't like Valhalla and I switched to PC recently so I'd have to buy it again and buy Dawn of Ragnarok. I'm not doing that.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Not from what I read.

I just looked it up and Ubisoft does call it a standalone expansion in their PR and on their website, but by that they just mean that it's separate from the Season Pass and not that it's separate from Valhalla. That's some clever wording on their end, lol. All this time I, and a couple people I know, were under the impression that they made this a 'real' standalone expansion.

ragolliangatan

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 31, 2019
i've played a couple of hours and i'm already burned out on it. I was hoping there might have been some structural changes from the main game but it is just more of the same. New powers are kinda cool though, and the world looks great.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
I have Ubisoft+ so I have I got as part of that. It's fun if you still enjoy the AC: Valhalla loop. If not you probably aren't missing anything. I really hope the next AC really mixes things up but not holding my breath. If not I'm liable to pass for a year even getting it for free. (well not free but part of my sub)

I was kind of getting a bit tired of ER for now so I guess splitting my gaming time between AC:V DoR and Horizon until Kirby comes out.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
I'll play it eventually. Currently playing AC Origins but put it on pause when Ubisoft said they were working on a 60fps patch for PS5. After Origins comes Odyssey then Valhalla. I'm hoping they'll release a "Complete Version" that comes with everything by then and will be discounted lol.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
I will eventually. I still haven't played the Paris DLC. Its a fun, mindless game.

CabooseMSG

Jun 27, 2020
I started it, it's in the same container Forbidden West is for me. Not super compelling, but if I need brainless gameplay for an hour or two it's an option

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
I have seen zero discussion on this expansion since it released today. I know AC Valhalla isn't popular, but I am genuinely surprised by how little discussion there seems to be about this expansion, especially after it was promised to be huge.

Personally, I have not played it, but I am curious how folks like it. I can't really find any impressions anywhere outside of normal review outlets, who seem mixed on it. So is anyone playing it right now? Does it fulfill the promise of being a massive, game-changing expansion?

Valhalla is the most successful AC game to date…. So it's not that it's not popular.

It really is that elden ring just complete sucked the air out of eveything! 6.7m+ sell thru already is such a massive achievement it's the new zeitgeist right now for sure

Bonfires Down

Nov 2, 2017
Watched the trailer now. They went full on God of War eh. Not that I mind.

Animations are still horribly outdated unfortunately.

Oct 29, 2017
Skipping it for now. I like Valhalla but I prefer the real world parts, an entire expansion dealing with the mythological aspect doesn't excite me. I'll pick it up at some point when it's heavily discounted.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited to, but Ubi is pretty reliable about putting things like this on sale quite quickly so I'll wait. Valhalla is a phenomenal game though, I love it

EraLurker24

Feb 9, 2022
Really enjoyed Valhalla (huge game though, not close to finishing). But like others I'm more into the realistic aspects rather than the mythological stuff

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Valhalla is the most successful AC game to date…. So it's not that it's not popular.

It really is that elden ring just complete sucked the air out of eveything! 6.7m+ sell thru already is such a massive achievement it's the new zeitgeist right now for sure
I have friends that have never played a Souls game asking me about it, and some that even bought it and are kinda enjoying it…it's kinda wild

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I totally get this take but man, lately AC games have been my mindless podcast game. Used to be WoW but with that shitshow being... a shitshow, AC kind of fills that void for me.
That's fine, I used to love these games. But Odyssey and Valhalla really burnt me out on the franchise. Just too much content. I though Origins was about the perfect length for one of these games. The main game and both expansions put me at about 90 hours. Whereas Odyssey and Valhalla were about 200 and 140 respectively.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
That's fine, I used to love these games. But Odyssey and Valhalla really burnt me out on the franchise. Just too much content. I though Origins was about the perfect length for one of these games. The main game and both expansions put me at about 90 hours. Whereas Odyssey and Valhalla were about 200 and 140 respectively.

Yeah I get it, don't blame you at all. Weirdly enough Origins was my least favorite of the 3 lol

freakybj

Oct 26, 2017
I played AC Valhalla and I enjoyed it, but it was too long. When I finished it I had no desire to play it again.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
I'm not getting that DLC but AC Valhalla not being popular is news to me lol

OrochiJR

Oct 29, 2017
Started it yesterday and am like 15 minutes in. Quit because of a forced slow walking section that lasts for a good few minutes (!!). I will continue today though to get to the proper start of the DLC.

I want to play it, but between Horizon and ER and Triangle Strategy, it's not a high priority.
You and me, bro. However Triangle Strategy is different enough that I can play it in parallel. With Horizon and the rapid output of patches I will hold off a little longer because I believe that game will get better and better with time.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
streamers that I watched to get a twitch drop lol. It does not seem worth anywhere near $40. The odin parts were also by far my least favorite parts of the game. Easy wait for sale for me

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
I'll play it eventually. Currently playing AC Origins but put it on pause when Ubisoft said they were working on a 60fps patch for PS5. After Origins comes Odyssey then Valhalla. I'm hoping they'll release a "Complete Version" that comes with everything by then and will be discounted lol.
Fair warning, Odyssey to Valhalla is a massive downgrade.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Meh, I'm passing on this one. I have to finish H:FW and Elden Ring. After, I'm playing Guardians of the Galaxy on GP.

I like Valhalla, but I'm done playing it.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
While I liked the gameplay, world and bulk of the narrative, Valhalla was already about three times bigger than it needed to be and about twice as long. The last thing I want is more.

iamsirjoshua

Oct 28, 2017
I have friends that have never played a Souls game asking me about it, and some that even bought it and are kinda enjoying it…it's kinda wild

Can we please not derail every thread with this?

On my end, I look forward to playing Ragnarok. It looks a bit more like "more Valhalla" than something really game changing, but I enjoyed my time with the game and don't mind a bit more of it. I still need to finish the Paris DLC as well but did enjoy the Ireland DLC and the Odyssey crossover from earlier this year. A few weeks ago I also logged on just to get a cool mount from the daily shop with opal I had sitting there forever, so I look forward to actually using it.

In the meantime I'm getting close to the end of Forbidden West so waiting to finish that first as I can't really do two open world games at once.

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Usually skip the alternate reality expansions, does this have any present day implications? Or have any story for Eivor?

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
I will once I finish Horizon the the river raid dlc. I am looking forward to it. I am getting the art card edition. Its cheaper than buying it digitally.

It's been a quiet year for games for me so I wat to take my time with it. It should keep me going until the bigger expansions at Christmas.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
I will this weekend before Stranger of Paradise launches. The demo for SoP ruined my plans to play AC earlier this week

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Valhalla burnt me out so bad that I don't even want to go near the DLC for that game. Honestly Ragnarok looks kinda neat but I just hated how bloated this game was.

Gradly

Nov 11, 2017
I got tired with Ubisoft games. I only finished the main game of Valhalla and Farcry and didn't touch the dlc

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
I desperately want to. But I didn't like Valhalla and I switched to PC recently so I'd have to buy it again and buy Dawn of Ragnarok. I'm not doing that.

If you have never had it before i think your first month of uplay+ is 8 bucks. You get access to their entire catalog, DLC included.

Kratos2013

Jan 25, 2018
I started playing it today, just not too far in the dlc. Once I reached the first area, I decided to use the "wake up" option, go back and level up a bit more in the main game.
From the start it looks absolutely beautiful.

One thing Ubisoft artists are good at is creating beautiful worlds.