• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I'm hyped. Everything about the game looks and sounds good, and it is clear that the game has a much higher budget than the 3DS games. Everything is so much richer and more detailed. Towns look better, NPCs look better, monsters are more detailed, job outfits are more distinct by characters and their different figures and posture make it much more visually interesting.

I just really don't get why people think this

looks worse than this:

Both just a female party member in an outfit of the same class (Salve Maker). Very different concept (herbalist/alchemist vs. Mad Scientist theme), but everything looks a lot more detailed and expressive.

That's a common beat to Final Fantasy battle themes, which Revo refers to as that "dedededededededede" in an interview.

FF 1/5/6/9 have it the most prominent, but the beat is in more than that.
Ya I'm in the minority that thinks this game looks great. I love the clay / diorama style its giving off.

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
I'm definitely in the mood for a classic JRPG.
When I played the first one I was so pissed by the *twist* that I said I wouldn't play any other Bravely games. But over time I found myself thinking fondly about it. I played Bravely Second, but it came out at a bad time so I never got too far into it.

So yeah, I'm looking forward to it.

Aramon

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I was skeptical at first but after time passed and new gameplay trailers were shown I was hyped.

Just earlier today I got confirmation that my preorder has been shipped.

Good change I get the game on Thursday.

DarthButcher

Oct 30, 2017
I want to be hyped, but I'm currently making my way through my Switch JRPG backlog. Finishing Xenoblade 2: Torna - The Golden Country in the next week and then moving onto DQXIS. I'm hoping to get to this before the end of the year.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
I want to be hyped, but I'm currently making my way through my Switch JRPG backlog. Finishing Xenoblade 2: Torna - The Golden Country in the next week and then moving onto DQXIS. I'm hoping to get to this before the end of the year.

Just finished DQXIS. What an awesome game that was.

I'm interested in Bravely Default II but may wait and see if it drops to $50 like a lot of Nintendo games have been doing lately.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
Waiting on reviews, Bravely Default story was kinda grating even though the battle system was awesome. It really depends on how the story and characters are received.

Aug 9, 2020
I'm looking forward to it, but I'm going to hold off until it drops. I really like the brave and defaulting turn based mechanics, especially over ATB. Hope this one doesn't have the ridiculous post game grind to get a true ending.

Kazer

Oct 27, 2017
Not exactly hyped but I'm still getting it on day 1. Need a good turn based rpg.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I love jrpgs, so this was originally an insta-buy for me, but the demo was a big turn off. Graphics were blurry and characters were ugly. Combat looked wrong the way characters rapidly attack and it just didn't feel good. Story, characters and dialog was not interesting.
I might give it a chance later on when there's nothing else to play, but that won't be for a long while, and it's only because I love turn-based traditional rpgs.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm hyped. Everything about the game looks and sounds good, and it is clear that the game has a much higher budget than the 3DS games. Everything is so much richer and more detailed. Towns look better, NPCs look better, monsters are more detailed, job outfits are more distinct by characters and their different figures and posture make it much more visually interesting.

https://i2.wp.com/www.gematsu.com/w...ravely-Default-II_2021_01-13-21_033.jpg?ssl=1
looks worse than this:

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/finalfantasy/images/8/83/BDFF_Edea_Chemist.png/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/229?cb=20131127223740
Both just a female party member in an outfit of the same class (Salve Maker). Very different concept (herbalist/alchemist vs. Mad Scientist theme), but everything looks a lot more detailed and expressive.

I mean I do like how that job looks in BD2, but I still think the characters look gross. They're weirdly plasticy, the hair looks bad, their eyes are lifeless, and while there are advantages to the increased level of detail on the characters, it also veers them much closer towards that uncanny valley for me. The models are obviously quite a bit simpler on the 3DS games, but I assume that helps mask the problem I'm having with BD2. Everybody in this game just looks kinda unsettling to me, as opposed to BD1 characters being simple and cute.

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
I'm buying it because of brand name (Bravely series) and publisher goodwill (Square-Enix). What they decided to showcase from the game didn't look exciting, I didn't specially love any of the two demos and the new art direction seems like a downgrade from the original.

krossj

Dec 4, 2017
More than I thought I would be but still cautious with some of the new battle system decisions

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess 3 decades of playing JRPGs have dulled my caring of what the graphics look like....I'm interested in the combat system, and less so the story.

I could honestly care less what the character models look like, as most JRPGs have low budgets or hokey anime characters anyways haha.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
Not really, I've never been able to get more than ten hours into the first one and I'd never go to two without getting through one and Bravely Second.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely love the first two games, and this series has my favourite turn-based combat ever. So I was pretty hyped for this game before playing the demos. After playing the demos I realized:
  • The combat has been changed from round-based to turn-based, which devalues Brave and Default system, among other issues.
  • The encounter system has been changed from random encounters which could be adjusted to your needs, to visible encounters that can't.
  • The art-style has this clash of gorgeous hand drawn backgrounds and the ugly 3d models.
  • The majority of QoL features from the original games like encounter sliders, no exp/jp/pg options, preset load-outs, auto-command setups, etc. are all gone.

So lets just say I'm not pleased with the direction the series has taken. BUT, I'm still a sucker for turn-based RPGs especially with job systems. And this game still retains that feeling of coming up with clever strategies and seeing them in action. So think I'll still enjoy it none the less.

TL:DR -
Yeah I'm hyped!

Paertan

Oct 28, 2017
I am not hyped. But my girlfriend informed me yesterday that I should not plan to hang out with her this weekend.

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
It's not a day one for me, but it is shaping up to be a great turned-based RPG like the original.

I do think that Switch owners should pay attention to it.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty interested, but I've been waiting for the "Switch Pro" for like a year and a half now, and with the recent rumors from "legitimate" leakers, I'll probably just continue to wait. Or knowing my luck, I'll get so sick of waiting to play specific Switch games that I'll end up buying one, only for the new system to be announced a month later.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
I'm moderately hyped. Game is preordered, but I'm not sure I'll play it right at release.
I loved the first one except for that weird loop story part.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely love the first two games, and this series has my favourite turn-based combat ever. So I was pretty hyped for this game before playing the demos. After playing the demos I realized:
  • The combat has been changed from round-based to turn-based, which devalues Brave and Default system, among other issues.
  • The encounter system has been changed from random encounters which could be adjusted to your needs, to visible encounters that can't.
  • The art-style has this clash of gorgeous hand drawn backgrounds and the ugly 3d models.
  • The majority of QoL features from the original games like encounter sliders, no exp/jp/pg options, preset load-outs, auto-command setups, etc. are all gone.

So lets just say I'm not pleased with the direction the series has taken. BUT, I'm still a sucker for turn-based RPGs especially with job systems. And this game still retains that feeling of coming up with clever strategies and seeing them in action. So think I'll still enjoy it none the less.

TL:DR -
Yeah I'm hyped!
The QOL features might not be present for the demo right? Do we know if they aren't present in the full game?

noinspiration

Jun 22, 2020
I only played the first one but I could definitely see how the battle system wouldn't click in a demo. I think it's a great system once you get your head around it and possibilities open up, but I don't know if I would have the patience to wade through the shallows more than once. The first game also had a story that I've never heard a good thing about, so I don't know how excited to be unless the new one has different writers.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
The QOL features might not be present for the demo right? Do we know if they aren't present in the full game?

Someone on reddit has had an early copy for a week now and he mentioned there weren't any similar options like in previous games. The only one is what we saw in the demo about being able to repeat last action for a party member.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I only played the first one but I could definitely see how the battle system wouldn't click in a demo. I think it's a great system once you get your head around it and possibilities open up, but I don't know if I would have the patience to wade through the shallows more than once. The first game also had a story that I've never heard a good thing about, so I don't know how excited to be unless the new one has different writers.
I think the story is great in the first game, the issue is a short sequence at the end that people get their panties in a bunch over because it features repetitiveness (in a JRPG! Shocking!)
Specifically you have to loop through the same sequence of events a few times.
The rest of the story was really good and the twist is great if you can make it through said section.

Someone on reddit has had an early copy for a week now and he mentioned there weren't any similar options like in previous games. The only one is what we saw in the demo about being able to repeat last action for a party member.
Oh damn that sucks, thanks.
Hopefully they patch those in

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Ya I'm in the minority that thinks this game looks great. I love the clay / diorama style its giving off.

Oh man, then you're gonna love Sakaguchi's new game which uses real life diorama's that they built for environments.

EqniDFMUwAElMjs

EsN3CzOVEAM8eMQ

A shame it's only mobile but hoping it'll get ported

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I don't think the art style in this game is any more or less divisive than the first game. I definitely remember a lot of people hating the "stoned faces" and chibi models.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
its a turn based RPG with a job system

I will be there day one even if i had problems with the first game

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
The game's missing a hook. Characters and character stereotypes as well as story premise look too similar to Bravely Default 1, which makes Bravely Default 2 appear to be more of a sidestep than an evolution. This is a bit weird, since them apologizing for Bravely Second (whose only fault was being too similar to Bravely Default 1) gave off the impression that they were aware that they can't just redo the same thing over and over.

Instead of making changes where they'd have been appreciated, they instead changed up some of underlying game systems which frankly didn't actually need any changing. Bravely Default's combat was great and, judging by the demo, the changes made to it are actively making what once was a really elegant turn-based system worse by making it more difficult to get a predictable graps of the Brave/Default system that gives the game its name.

ara

Oct 26, 2017

Man, what the hell is the point of this sort of stuff? Having fantastic QoL options in one game and then cutting them from the sequel is just the dumbest shit. I didn't even realize how much they had cut.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Is the enounter rate a bit lower if they've taken the slider out? The default in the 3DS games was pretty high, I played them both with it set at half

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Is the enounter rate a bit lower if they've taken the slider out? The default in the 3DS games was pretty high, I played them both with it set at half

There is no random encounters. It's enemy icons you touch on the map to trigger battles. The problem is if there is two enemies on the map that are chasing you, unlike BD1 which you can reduce / increase or turn off the encounter rate, in this particular scenario you'll be fighting basically two battles back to back.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017

looks worse than this:

I mean I do like how that job looks in BD2, but I still think the characters look gross. They're weirdly plasticy, the hair looks bad, their eyes are lifeless, and while there are advantages to the increased level of detail on the characters, it also veers them much closer towards that uncanny valley for me. The models are obviously quite a bit simpler on the 3DS games, but I assume that helps mask the problem I'm having with BD2. Everybody in this game just looks kinda unsettling to me, as opposed to BD1 characters being simple and cute.

Yeah the second post describes it pretty well I think. The 3DS characters remind me more of this:

e6631832c5ff0ac2077b8dbeeac666fb.gif

The Switch characters more of this:

Annabelle.jpg

On Switch, the characters may be smiling, but they're not really smiling, if you know what I mean.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Very interested to hear opinions. Demo completely failed to sell me, but it has such a good reputation that I'm still somewhat interested.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The demo did barely anything for me, but I only put an hour in last night. Will try some more later.

The character art is pretty off-putting, and all the characters so far are immensely bland and slightly irritating.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
The demo did barely anything for me, but I only put an hour in last night. Will try some more later.

The character art is pretty off-putting, and all the characters so far are immensely bland and slightly irritating.

They all were in the first two games as well to be fair, apart from maybe Edea

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
are reviews coming today? nintendo-published games usually have their review embargoes lifted 2 days before release.