• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
I'm doing a new run of Bravely Default 1 this time on Citra, it both hype me for that new game because the gameplay is so good, and remind me how much I prefer the old visual at a higher resolution compared to the new DA.

Roubjon

Oct 25, 2017
The guy with the fedora and the new aesthetic totally erased my interest. I'll definitely give the ost a listen though.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I can't really buy it or get into it now so I might just end up going for the inevitable PC version way down the line.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
To give some more context:

Silicon Studios(developer of BD and Second) sold their game development division to Creek & River, Creek & River developed Bravely Default: Fairy's Effect, the development of team of Fairy's Effect then became their own subsidiary called ClayTech Works and have developed Bravely Default 2.

It might not the exact same team of people but it's also not an entirely unrelated studio.
Oh wow, I didn't know that. That makes it more interesting. As you said, it might not be the exact same team of people but I still find it strange that they designed the Brave/Default system that way in BD2.

Apr 19, 2018
I've got it on preorder but we'll see if I have the time or commitment to play through it in any serious manner right now.

The difficulty is scaring me off some. Heard that even Casual can pose a rather hefty challenge.

No in-option encounter slider this time, right? Not even to lessen the physical enemy presence you find on the map?

My biggest takeaway with BD2 is that we're getting a freaking new REVO soundtrack. At least musically, the series is righting itself after Bravely Second's thoroughly forgettable music score.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
I'm excited for this, but more in the abstract sense. I enjoyed the time I spent with BD1 but only got less than 25% through it before starting up something else. Bravely Second is still sitting in shrinkwrap on the shelf. And I'm like 2/3rds through Octopath at this point and still need to go back and finish it up. So I'm waiting on reviews at this point because as much as this game appeals to me I'm really concerned it's just going to sit on the shelf unplayed for a long while.

(At least it's not a new Xenoblade which so far my track record is to pick them up, play for < 5 hours, and then never touch it again 😅)

The guy with the fedora and the new aesthetic totally erased my interest. I'll definitely give the ost a listen though.

He wasn't that bad in the demo. On the other hand I can't take him remotely seriously since they also named him "Elvis".

Wingus

Dec 8, 2017
The Bravely series is a love letter to my favourite FF (FF5) and I love the job systems in these, so still looking forward to playing this despite the changes made

Otakukidd

The cutest v-tuber
Oct 25, 2017
Has there been any news on online features. Me and my cousin played the original at the same time and loved sending powerful attacks to help each other out.

pdog128

Dec 16, 2017
I want to be hyped, but I'm not.

BD was by far my favorite game on the 3DS, and even with the padding I loved every second of it. Really enjoyed my time with Second, even though it was just more of the same.

I just don't know about BD II. Something is just throwing me off. Definitely going to wait for a bit.

Last edited:

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
I'm quite hyped for it. It's one of the biggest releases of the year for me, and I adored Bravely Default and Second. With Revo back to doing the soundtrack, and looking at how much they improved Bravely Second, it really should be the best of both worlds. I just really wish there was a collectors' edition of the game :(.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Has there been any news on online features. Me and my cousin played the original at the same time and loved sending powerful attacks to help each other out.

There's the Expeditions, though details are a bit scarce right now.

Want to level up your party when you're not playing? Expeditions allow you to head off across the open ocean while your Nintendo Switch is in Sleep Mode. A successful voyage will reap benefits such as items that grant you extra HP, EXP and Job Points.

Connecting to the internet will also allow your heroes to meet up with other seafarers, potentially earning even more precious loot in the process!

CI_NSwitch_BravelyDefaultII_SomewhereBeyondTheSea_02.jpg

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking forward to it! Kind of bounced off BD1, so I wouldn't say I'm super hyped (I enjoy Octopath more), but totally open to this game impressing me. Liked the first demo, hoping the older characters mean the tone will be a little more mature than BD1.

Having to send my laptop off due to a bulging battery (oi Razer...), so I'll basically be dedicated to BD2 in the meantime haha.

Kandinsky

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, already preordered the game at a local store, hopefully they deliver on the promise date (Friday)!.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
I so wish I could get over how bad this looks visually. Hopefully it reviews well enough to convince me.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
To give some more context:

Silicon Studios(developer of BD and Second) sold their game development division to Creek & River, Creek & River developed Bravely Default: Fairy's Effect, the development of team of Fairy's Effect then became their own subsidiary called ClayTech Works and have developed Bravely Default 2.

It might not the exact same team of people but it's also not an entirely unrelated studio.
Ok cool. Thanks for the clarification.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know if I'm *hyped* for it, but I'm definitely looking forward to seeing reviews. I loved BD (and didn't even mind the repeat part given how it was structured) and never got around to Bravely Second. I didn't try the demo long enough to notice any awful voices though, but I have a pretty high tolerance for shitty voice acting.

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, just play with the Japanese voice track and then the voice acting quality is no longer an issue.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
oh wow reading some of these replies makes me realize this is NOT a remaster of Bravely Second, but an actual new game lol. I wonder how many other people think the same thing as me, this is just a remaster of a 3DS game

until a few seconds ago I honestly thought this was just a remaster of Bravely Second

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017
We'll see how those reviews do...not trying to buy a game under 80 MC at this point in my life

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
until a few seconds ago I honestly thought this was just a remaster of Bravely Second

The naming is definitely a bit unfortunate and confusing at a glance, but it's the difference of FFX-2 vs FFXI, only... in this case the titles end up being Second vs 2. But it's still 'direct sequel' vs 'unrelated continuation of franchise'.

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
Anyone know when the review embargo is up? I blindly preordered this game because I'm desperate for a new Switch title, but I'm worried the writing won't hold up.

Nov 8, 2017
If it's good will prolly play it one day in the future. I played maybe a third to a half of the original, I thought it was good but not great. HOWEVER, the backgrounds are absolutely incredible. I love how they have a handmade look, but are like 3d dioramas. A really neat evolution of the PS1/2 era pre-rendered backgrounds with a modern touch.

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
Pre-ordered it today morning. Never played 3DS games but these past few trailers absolutely sold me. Getting strong Final Fantasy vibes from them and everything is positive vibe so far.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I quite like the battle music, the opening bars remind me of FFIX's battle music, I think?

Johnzyboi

Nov 10, 2018
I am. I played the demo for quiet awhile. This is my first Bravely Default game so I'm looking forward to it.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm somewhat hyped. Played, enjoyed but didn't finish BD1, never played Second, and Octopath is maybe my favorite Switch exclusive. I honestly think BD2 looks hideous, but I'll probably get used to it, and I'd really like a good job system JRPG right now.

JustJosh

Dec 11, 2018
Wisconsin, USA 🐮
Already preordered and kind of excited: it's coming at the perfect time for me right now. I played Bravely Default and really enjoyed it up until the "you know what", but never got around to playing Bravely Second.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I really liked the demo of the first one but never played more than a few hours. Would still like to play through it and the sequel someday, especially as Second has a composer I love doing the soundtrack.

Thinking I may try to finally start the original again rather getting II, but I also have so many recent games I've been neglecting to get to, so... maybe someday. II looks neat but I'd rather play the older ones first.

Armoured_Bear

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
I was quite enthusiastic but the demo put me off, such poor image quality, so soft and some appalling textures. Hopefully one that will be improved on the next Switch.

Chie Satonaka

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah.

It was off my radar for awhile, but I'm pretty excited about it. Turn Based RPGs are my favorites, so this is a day 1 purchase for me, for sure.

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Day 1 for me. Be about $48 total, since Walmart has it for like $50, and I get the 10% associate discount.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hyped. Everything about the game looks and sounds good, and it is clear that the game has a much higher budget than the 3DS games. Everything is so much richer and more detailed. Towns look better, NPCs look better, monsters are more detailed, job outfits are more distinct by characters and their different figures and posture make it much more visually interesting.

I just really don't get why people think this

looks worse than this:

Both just a female party member in an outfit of the same class (Salve Maker). Very different concept (herbalist/alchemist vs. Mad Scientist theme), but everything looks a lot more detailed and expressive.

I quite like the battle music, the opening bars remind me of FFIX's battle music, I think?

That's a common beat to Final Fantasy battle themes, which Revo refers to as that "dedededededededede" in an interview.

"――On the other hand, was there anything you wanted to change with "II"?
Revo: In fact, the themes relating to the Warriors of Light change from scene to scene with certain elements in mind. It's similar to the conjugation of verbs. Beyond that I dared not to change the intro to the game…... I thought it'd be exciting if every "BRAVELY DEFAULT" battle started with the same intro, like with "FINAL FANTASY", the "Dedededededededede". So I decided to leave it in this game as well. This time, I added another intro on top of that intro. You may think it's the job of the special effect department, but I made it while paying homage to the masterpiece, and included it in the soundtrack, so please enjoy it (laughs)."

FF 1/5/6/9 have it the most prominent, but the beat is in more than that.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It sounds pretty bad but the resolution is just too low for me to pick it up at launch. It's a nice looking game but it feels held back by the resolution when I'm playing it on my 55" tv. It'll be a title I pick up when the Switch Pro releases though, I think.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm excited for it. I loved the first game. I've avoided looking up too much to go in with some surprises. I'm excited to see all the jobs this one has.