• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

kodax_shc

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Yes! I haven't played anything new on my switch since I got my PS5 and this is going to be my point of re-entry.

Trying to finish reading all the extra bits of The House of Fata Morgana on my vita before Friday so I can focus on BD2.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
Yes!! I recently started a new job and all I wanna do after work is lay on the couch under the heated blanket with my cat and SO, but also wanna play games...so I'm glad I'll finally have a switch RPG to play again!!

I finished ff13 on Saturday to make sure Iwas ready to play as soon as I got back from work on friday

Wetflix

Mar 16, 2019
It's going to be my first Bravely game and it looks to be a comfort game that will invoke the nostalgia feeling I have to FFV.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't tried the demo but I really enjoyed BD. The gameplay and music were top notch and made up for the crummy story. But I couldn't really get into BS because it was worse in every regard. Somehow the writing was even cornier, the jobs were less fun (specifically recall too many unique item based jobs that required grinding/farming, and fewer fun combos), and the music wasn't as good.

Revo being back for the soundtrack is already really promising on that front. If BD2's jobs are more fun like BD1 I'll probably really like the game. Very tempted to pick it up on Switch even though I really want to hold out for a possible PC port, after Octopath got one.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
I WANT to play this asap, but it literally hinges on whether or not it'll address the cliffhanger from second in any form. I've been waiting five years to see that continued so if BDII completely ignores it, then it's low priority until I beat the many other switch RPGs. If there's so much as a hint though... I'll buy it as soon as the next paycheck comes in as I loved the final demo (save for not being able to transfer data to the final game)

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
I loved Bravely Default (even the part that everyone kept complaining about... just turned off random encounters and it was fun) and Bravely Second, so I'm excited to play this one on switch. I love the artstyle, job system and the writing/voices, so I can't wait to jump back into the series.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Download the free demo and give it a whirl.

I enjoyed the first game on 3DS years and years ago, never played the second, and when I tried the demo I was really turned off. The visuals just felt odd to me after now a few years of ps4/xb1 RPGs. I'm pretty sure after an hour or two I'd get used to it, but no real desire to play for now at $60, especially since I've got a few big other games in the hopper right now - DQ XI S on xbox gamepass and Ghosts of Tsushima on PS5.

Dec 22, 2018
So, have you ever not been able to pay a loan?

if this game was about an epic quest to defeat some world ending demi-god with half a dozen forms just to avoid defaulting on a loan, I'd be all in. No questions asked.

Anyway, I definitely have my eye on this title. I've never touched a Bravely Default game, but I played Octopath Traveler last year and thought that was phenomenal. If BD2 is anywhere near that level of quality I know it'll keep me entertained.

aett

Oct 27, 2017
Northern California
The first game (which I highly anticipated) ultimately let me down so much that the sequels basically fell off my radar. If BD2 gets great impressions, I might get it on sale.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
if this game was about an epic quest to defeat some world ending demi-god with half a dozen forms just to avoid defaulting on a loan, I'd be all in. No questions asked.

Anyway, I definitely have my eye on this title. I've never touched a Bravely Default game, but I played Octopath Traveler last year and thought that was phenomenal. If BD2 is anywhere near that level of quality I know it'll keep me entertained.
The title does tie into the story, but it would be spoilery to say more than that. It's not some mind blowing revelatory thing, but more of a "lol, clever" moment when you realize what the title means and you're over it 2 minutes later.

It was a great game though.

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
I'm excited but I think I'll play through Second first

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
I'm looking foward to it! Loved both 1(despite the "repeating loop") and Bravely 2nd(which I'm sad we'll probably never get a continuation of that story)

cinch

Chicken Chaser
Feb 17, 2019
I am! Loved the second demo, and my partner preordered it for me as a late Valentine's Day gift, can't wait

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I'm vaguely interested, mostly because I just want a new JRPG to play. Will definitely wait for some more impressions first.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
About as hyped as I get for any game nowadays, which isn't much.

Hype is an overrated commodity. In one way it's just a measure of your unquestioning openness to being sold something.

But I think BDII will be a good game, and the graphics don't bother me anywhere near as much as they seem to most everyone else on this board.

norealmx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Wish I would (game looks fun) but I gave up on the first when I got to the water fiend (the one that multiplies) and never even touched the sequel (should do it just in case there is any "patch").

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
I wanted to be hype, i even found it for 45e with 10e for a next purchase..but the demo didn't impress me. I tried the game 5min, but the graphics put me off in some way. I m going to try it again before the release, but how good are the story in bravely default in general?
I m not looking into something amazing, but more like if it's great to follow, character are likable or not ( made you happy, sad etc....), and the ost is good in general ?

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
Really want to like it since I loved the first game but the art style is so off-putting in this one that I'm gonna end up skipping it. If it reviews well then I'll give it a try when it's cheap.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I've been looking forward to this game since it's initial announcement.

Mainline Final Fantasy has pretty much genre shifted into something entirely else and no longer appeals to me. It comes with some solace that a game like Dragon Quest XI which has been traditional in its formula not becoming something entirely else, or Octopath Traveller, or Bravely Default II comes along which gives me a gameplay experience that falls more in-line of the older Final Fantasy titles with job classes, ATB or Turn Based combat.

I just recently beat Blue Dragon on my Series X for the first time ever recently and it has given me something I've been missing from an RPG in long while. I greatly anticipate starting my play through of Bravely Default II this Friday.

I still haven't finished Lost Odyssey yet either. I'll be returning to that eventually as well.

Sgs2008

Mar 25, 2019
I loved bravely default and second. A bit cautious about default 2 after the demo. I rly would have a prefered a way to turn off encounters, like those previous 2 games. Also the increased difficulty made battles a bit more of a chore than I would have liked. Though I'm hoping as you get more jobs and job combinations this would become less of an issue

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
I liked the demo, I'm likely gonna pick it up at some point shortly

I actually like the art style even though many hate it

Robo

Oct 27, 2017
I actually am, yeah! It's weird but after playing the project Triangle demo I booted up the BD2 Final Demo and had a blast. I'll still wait for reviews to drop before ordering a copy but I'm totally looking forward to it now. Revo doing the music again is almost worth the price alone.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I liked the demo, I'm likely gonna pick it up at some point shortly

I actually like the art style even though many hate it

It's a strange dichotomy. A lot of folks want FF to return to the traditional turned based mechanics or implement an ATB system and there are some games still continue to fill in this niche like Persona, Dragon Quest, Trails, etc but ultimately a lot folks seemingly avoid the game because of superficial things like "Too Anime". I'd wonder if something like Grandia 1 or Chrono Trigger were to be released as-is today, would they truly fall under the same level of criticism or scrutiny, because they seem to ode to the same concept of child-like fantasy and going on a grand adventure.

I mean the art style can vary from game to game, but it's not something that I become too hanged up on. Not every game has characters with realistic proportions or less fantastical looking art style and I understand why some folks not like it. Although my tolerance has gotten to point that it's not going to deter me from enjoying the game for the sake of it. Then again perhaps I'm just getting old. I certainly have more tolerance on what games I play now, then I did 10 to 15 years ago.

Last edited:

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
battle system is kinda whatever
i had more fun with triangle strategy's demo

cubicle47b

Aug 9, 2019
I'm interested. I'm waiting to see the reviews and I'm a little wary after Octopath Traveler. I liked what I played of the original, though.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Waiting on reviews.... !

Yeah, I'm kind of eagerly awaiting reviews myself.

I found the original Bravely Default to be a charming game. I admit that I never went on to play Bravely Second, though -- kinda felt like I got all I wanted at the time out of the original.

Having played the BD2 demo after its updated iteration, it seems pretty promising to me, but I do want to see what people take away from the game as a whole. I like the art style, though I'm aware it's not everyone's cup of tea.

ventuno

Nov 11, 2019
I am curious about it and will check out word of mouth on it. I thought that BD1 had great presentation and amazing music, but i don't think the game could make a case for how nostalgia bound it is as well as it wanted to.

The battle system still felt like it was clinging to dated approaches and I was not impressed with the story or characters. I'd like to see some improvements in that area but I'm not holding my breath.

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'll wait for reviews. An old school RPG from SE should be right up my alley but Octopath burnt me a bit with how shallow its story was.

I also haven't played the first but I've heard good things from friends that did.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The battle system still felt like it was clinging to dated approaches and I was not impressed with the story or characters. I'd like to see some improvements in that area but I'm not holding my breath.

This was kinda my beef. The main story, as unique a "hook" as it had, really didnt have the writing chops to make the characters interesting as you drudged through the second half of it... It needed more than "Inconceivable!", "Mrgrgr!!!", "Edeeeaa♥", and the guy who's speech is the equivalent of the colour grey.

The game has a big beautiful dark world...but it got boring and weird.

Boclfon479

Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited for it, should be finished with Atelier Ryza 2 before it drops.

Just hope you can break the game like you could in bravely Defauly: Flying Fairy.

didn't finish bravely sequel so hopefully they don't make it necessary knowledge :/

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand the title. What does "default" mean in the context of the game?
The battles are turn-based, and you have two special commands. "Brave" lets you take an extra turn early, but then you'll miss that many turns to make up for it. "Default" is defend, but you save that turn for later (so you can Brave it back without skipping it; these are stored as Brave Points, BP). So in general, you might find yourself going all-out on Brave for easy battles to end them in one turn, but for hard battles using Default to store up extra turns while taking little damage, or using Default when the bosses telegraph big attacks. That sort of thing. So it's kind of just a weird word for "defend."

But also, in the first Bravely Default, the story had some themes of having the courage to defy society's expectations of you. "Bravely default on your oaths" or something like that. Maybe that will come up again, maybe not.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'll wait for reviews. An old school RPG from SE should be right up my alley but Octopath burnt me a bit with how shallow its story was.

I also haven't played the first but I've heard good things from friends that did.

The previous two games in the Bravely series had much more standard JRPG type of stories than Octopath did, if that's your major concern.

Yam's

Oct 27, 2017
I never finished the 1st one as the 2nd part killed any enjoyment I was having with it at that time. Will check how the new one is received and I may take it once it's on sales.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Yes, very hyped! I'm going to shut myself away for the weekend with this game.

Looking forward to seeing what special twists this throws at us, as people who played the last two games know very well that there's some stuff in there beyond "find the four crystals to save the world" and we seem to know nothing about the special things this one might do. Which is exciting!

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
I have it preloaded and I'm basically counting the days to boot it up. The music and graphics really appeal to me and the rpg systems seem excellent from what I played. The game seems difficult too so that's a plus for me. I have played so many rpg's already that I'm looking for a challenge these days.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I didn;t honestly share most of the complaints about the combat from the demo and I don't care much about the faces, it looks good to me

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Ever still, I'm surprised to this day that there are posts that basically allude more or less "Turn based is archaic / too rooted in nostalgia" are still made.

Even factoring that some of the earliest Action RPGs notably Dragon Slayer and even Tower of Druaga back in 1984 predate Dragon Quest (the first known turn based console RPG) by two years. So I feel it's a fair point to be made that developers will design a game having an action or turn based combat system is a deliberate decision, especially for their design goal for the game in terms of how combat is handled.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
I LOVED both the previous game (both finished 100%), but for now really didnt liked the demo of this one. So I will skip it for now... I was pretty hyped before trying the game.... :(

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
I had been completely ignoring it, as I never played the originals. Then a couple of days ago I found out that that it was unconnected (like FF or DQ), so I gave the demo a shot.

Only played maybe less than an hour, but (after confirming I could switch to Japanese VO... JFC I literally cannot play games with British English VO), I'm kind of charmed.

Reviews pending, I might grab a pair of them there Nintendo vouchers for it and save the other for either Famicom Detective Club or Mario Golf.

I say 'reviews pending' because I know at least one of the previous BD games apparently lost it halfway through.