• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
I typically play as female in MH because i think their armors are better. Yes, the skin bearing ones are annoying, but a lot of the male armors are giant bulky ridiculousness and the female versions are better. They aren't all lewd nonsense.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think "practicality" is really the issue here, in that male armour also steps away from practicality often enough to demonstrate that it isn't really considered vital. It's just that the more practical looking armour is one aesthetic that the games try to provide. Let me pull out some more to demonstrate the level of variety and how it differs between the two (again, only from games I've played):

image00215k5jy5.jpg

image19603kiz.jpg

image1995qjsr.jpg

image200nbkyp.jpg

image201xxjni.jpg

image2023zk0a.jpg

image203bkji8.jpg

image211mij3r.jpg

image215c9jer.jpg

image23092klq.jpg

image00162sjjkw.jpg

image001637okqe.jpg

image0016561k39.jpg

image001747pk0i.jpg

image00175jdjhh.jpg

image00183jqj22.jpg

image00186bvjg5.jpg

image00188inku3.jpg

image0020180knu.jpg

image00205evjnl.jpg

img_20141022_0019whk12.jpg

image00216nik2z.jpg

image00219cukpy.jpg

image00220sgjti.jpg

image00221f5jrj.jpg

image00223u5jlm.jpg

image00224dhkx9.jpg

image002256kkid.jpg

image00226rvk9a.jpg

img_20141020_010761j6k.jpg

img_20141022_0003alj43.jpg

img_20141022_00059yk4a.jpg

img_20141022_0006vhke4.jpg

img_20141022_00071lj9t.jpg

img_20141022_001321jq0.jpg

img_20141022_0014zwk7t.jpg

img_20141022_0015nhjtb.jpg

If practicality is the issue, it's more than just giving more clothing to the female armours to fix that. A lot of the armours have unnecessary bits that make them look more like mecha than real armour, and a lot of them are really just clothes. I think it's more likely that they have some kind of visual concept and then try to make something that feels as realistic as possible within that.

Rather than the issue being the lack of practicality, I think the discrepancy is that the aesthetics aren't distributed evenly at all. Male armours don't step away from the bulky, faceless aesthetic nearly as often as the female ones. They show skin, but not nearly as often. Female ones have more variety, but rarely hit on the specific look of the male armours. Even when they're very similarly they still tend to be smaller, show the case, or have visible thighs.

I think it would be better to pull the male armour in to have more variety as well as pulling the female armour in to have more intimidating looks and to actually match the "practical" female sets to their male counterparts; pulling in just the female armour solves the discrepancy but makes things more homogeneous.

Last edited:

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
I like the famale armors more than the bulky male ones in MHW. I only switched over to a male character when the Dragoon armor was released.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Quite like the designs of the female armor sets.. Not a fan of the male ones much too many are too bulky

Really wish the game had full transmog a lot of sets you just don't use for long that look cool.

Last edited:

C Moon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love armorkinis, and the female armor is usually better than the male armor.

From an aesthetics standpoint, Male armors sometimes have a problem with being too big and bulky. I specifically remember in 3 Ultimate I used a set with Uragaan armor and a Brachy SnS, and it looked absolutely ridiculous. Giant ball of bronze metal flailing around a dinky shortsword.

And people are really gonna be in here arguing about "practicality" but let stuff like this slide?:

D1-FAEB61-98-D8-4448-9-D8-D-81308-CA8-A6-AB.png

19-BA173-E-C8-DF-43-D6-8322-1974-CA54028-C.png

28-AFA6-D1-EFEE-40-AB-AA3-A-30198-B678-EED.png

C3-E93192-EFE4-4451-9-D7-C-A6-A554-E744-BC.png

0-D8284-BA-A54-F-4-A24-96-EF-E11-AD7-B7-C405.png

1914-AADB-0513-41-B8-9-C8-E-A87-E2-DC8421-B.png

75500-C81-E089-44-E6-A042-DDB958-BE3-E97.png

If you expected "realism" and "practicality", you came to the wrong franchise.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's REALLY bad. Why do Japanese developers seem incapable of designing good outfits for women? It's honestly quite embarrassing.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Capcom has always had a problem with the men's armor having too many sets of "Walking Ball of Spikes Death Knight Armor" while women get "cuter" versions with their faces revealed and bits of skin showing here and there, if not just staight up sexy armors. Both could use some shaking up.

For what it's worth (and it may not be much), some of the armors in Iceborne look better. The Beotedus armor is the same for both men and women, except the women have their face showing (which I'm fine with. Tons of people turn the helmets off anyway). The Men's MRank Anja armor shows a lot more skin than the LR and HR versions so dudes get a sort of "sexy caveman" armor as well. And the women's Black Diablos (and presumably normal Diablos) set looks appropriately beefy.

But there' still stumbling blocks like the women's Banbaro set, women's MR Girros set, and the women's MR Pukei set. But a lot of the most common problems can be fixed with layered armor (namely all the exposed thighs can be converted to pants).

C Moon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): trolling
But there' still stumbling blocks like the women's Banbaro set, women's MR Girros set, and the women's MR Pukei set. But a lot of the most common problems can be fixed with layered armor (namely all the exposed thighs can be converted to pants).

Thank god. Because as we all know, thighs are haram.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Slightly? Exposed thighs are almost standard for female armor in Monster Hunter.

What bothers me about Seltas armor is how the female Seltas is the bigger and stronger of the two... Yet the female armor set is based mostly on the male Seltas while the male set is based on the female Seltas. It's especially noticeable with the Low Rank gear.

latest
I think the female armor looks cooler but man that is kinda fucking stupid that the female insect armor is for male and not for female. In general its all pretty sexist but that especially so.

Gun Dog

Oct 27, 2017
I could do without the sexualized female armor sets, but I've always been mixed on both female/male armor sets. There's a lot that I like on both sides, but I still usually go female since I don't like big bulky armors, and they seem to love doing that on male armors with big random spikes, plates, etc. On the female side I've always hated the armor with the giant skirts especially (lookin' at you Rathian, Damascus, etc.).

Hopefully there's a feature like in MHXX where you can transmog armor sets, or let you set layered armor sets for anything.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Would be dope to see an RPG with armor for both sexes have at least one of the male versions be sexier than the female version for whatever reason.

Deleted member 38706

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 19, 2018
Yea, and it's always been quite bad. They could've at least made a non-fanservice set for each armor (since they alpha and beta sets). That would've satisfied everyone. Btw, do you guys remember when Gaijinhunter whined about SJWs on his female armor set video? It was a shame such a prominent figure in the MH community is such a dumbass.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of the female armor can end up disappointing to me. The Nergigante and Anjanath were big ones for me with World. Then you have stuff like this from Gen where only the male version is allowed to be the big bulky set. Dark Souls to me still has the best way of handling the split armor.

MHGen-Gammoth_Armor_(Blademaster)_Concept_Art_001.jpg

Deleted member 4037

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly all the armor sets look bad in MHW, but I agree with the premise although some female sets look better than the male ones just because they went so bulky with the male ones

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
So you basically picked the one and only set looking like that in the whole game and make a thread called "how bad female armor looks in MH", implying the whole game

kinda misleading, op

Bone, nergigante, brigade, deviljho, drachen, and legiana all do this. Sure there's more armor that doesn't, but there also isn't a single male armor that's more sexualized than it's female counterpart. Not a single one.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I think it strikes a pretty great balance. I wish more dude armors showed more skin, tbh. There are several female armors that I vastly prefer over the male counterparts.

In a game like Dragons Dogma I think realism and "flesh were there should be protection" are more important, here its pretty blatant fantasy so it just looks like fun designs to me.

Obviously not trying to correct anyones reactions, what bothers you bothers you, but as far as my taste goes, I like what they did 90% of the time. Weapon designs were a much bigger issue for me this time around.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
They should just let you use either variation regardless of the character's gender.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
I vastly prefer female armor in this game, except for the very few bikini armors.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
In real life a blow from a Rathalos would smoke you, armor or not. Lightweight armor would be better since you can more easily avoid attacks the women are right stay woke
I'm sure that's the reason for the disparity in armor designs and not, say, inherent, industry wide problems with female character designs.

plexxrock

Banned
Feb 19, 2019
Funny enough my fav female armor in the game is probably the Kulu set. Which given the topic falls under both the open thigh and open belly criteria. I don't mind it though because it fits with the whole design aesthetic. Very Arabian Nights lookin.

I have an issue though with all the sets where it doesn't make sense and it almost feels like they got done designing the whole set and then was like ''oh fuck, almost forgot the skin quota'' and just cut a few random holes in the armor just for the purpose of showing skin.

Also have a huge issue with not all female armor coming with a closed helmet option. They really should have.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Honestly I dont have a massive problem with the disparity in male and female armor, but in my mind I know the decisions were made with a sexist mentality and that's where I roll my eyes when I see certain female armor designs. Like if I knew that a bunch of women were helping make these designs I would be alright, but as it stands it's just a bunch of dudes making female armor with sex appeal and a bunch of higher ups that are dudes giving the okay.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like it. The armors in World seem to prioritize fashion and sex appeal over everything else. It's part of the game.
Despite what they cover or don't cover they're mostly about looks. 10 layers of armor won't save you from a fucking dragon.

No matter what you wear in that game you never come across as dainty or weak. Your character is always a badass no matter what. I don't feel like there's a negative.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The worst is when they ruin older armor sets. How you gonna go from the amazing Barioth X set and instead include the low/high rank version despite Barioth being a master rank monster?

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Hey now, From Software excels at awesome outfits for female characters. To offer but a few examples:

I may be mistaken but I think they are literally the only well known devs from JP who don't rely on (overly) sexualizing female armor/attire sets disguised as fan service for thirsty folks.

A bit OT: Recently, I saw a videos of some Korean MMORPG and I realized they are utterly atrocious in this regard. I don't know whether this applies to most games coming out of that country though.

Oct 27, 2017
It is the fact they make female armors different from each other that is the problem.

Interms of looks, both sexes have weird looking armors. Game needs better armors in general.