• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Anyone else has the problem?

• Yes, same here... I also chew pills

Votes: 42 7.2%
  • I learned at a very late age

Votes: 72 12.3%
  • Nah, I have no problems

Votes: 173 29.5%
  • Nah, I actually can swallow several pills and the same time

Votes: 271 46.2%
  • I'm still learning

Votes: 28 4.8%

• Total voters

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I don't even need water. If I need to and I'm in a pinch I can grab a handful and just swallow... Of course I prefer with water. It goes down easier that way.

Now my sister on the other hand. She couldnt swallow a pill to save her life to the point that she'd rather sit there with a migraine than put herself through the trouble of trying to swallow a Tylenol.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
I've only read the first 100 posts, but the concept of chewing pills is just absolutely foreign and baffling to me. I'm 39 years old and last year I found out my 76 year old father has been chewing his pills for over 25 years. Ugh, the taste alone is enough to make me want to figure out how to swallow pills. 🤮

I don't how you chewers do it.

DASH_4_8_M
This is so perfect, I legit LOL'd!

pjl93

Jun 2, 2020
NJ
I never could its a physiological thing even with food or water I can't so I chew it or crush it and mix into applesauce

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My wife has to chew them. I don't get it - she swallows chunks of food far bigger!

I can swallow them without water if I need to.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
I don't really have any problems. Usually can dry swallow or very easily swallow with water.

There are times where the pill catches or sticks and its a laborious process, which I assume is akin to the problem people have with swallow pills. Which is truly fucking awful, its the worst when that happens, so if that happens all the time to you I can totally get why its near impossible.

If you can get it to float though and go for it, thats the key.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
I've only read the first 100 posts, but the concept of chewing pills is just absolutely foreign and baffling to me. I'm 39 years old and last year I found out my 76 year old father has been chewing his pills for over 25 years. Ugh, the taste alone is enough to make me want to figure out how to swallow pills. 🤮

I don't how you chewers do it.
I've gotten really good at following up my chewed pills with something else to immediately take the taste out of my mouth. Other people ITT have mentioned how nasty prednisone is but I chew it every day and it doesn't even bother me anymore because I know what to follow it up with. Usually a handful of cereal or a cookie with something to drink works great.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
I can do it pretty easily, and I deal with a pretty bad gag reflex. I have to ... think about it? Don't know how to explain it but usually I bring up saliva, I put the pill in my mouth, and just try to figure out the good moment to make it go down. There's certain points where I know a 100% it's going to be a gag reflex, so I wait a bit. I just move around and when it's the right time, I swallow.

I have a harder time with water.

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
i used to but the way i do it now is to trick myself. get a swig of water FIRST then tilt you head back, open mouth and drop pills in, then swallow. no idea why this works vs the opposite but it does

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I can do it without water, but it feels weird. It's easy with something to drink for me.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The instructions on medicine aren't there for shits & giggles. I don't chew anything that says swallow, I don't swallow anything that says chew.

It's all for a reason; don't fuck up your healing/treatment.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I can swallow 20 pills at once and I also chew them depending what they are. For aspirin/advil I chew. Fuck waiting half hour to kick in, chew it and wash it down and I get relief in less than 10 minutes

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
As a child I couldn't. My mother had to crush them and put them into yoghurt. But nowadays I easily chuck the 5 capsules I take a day in one go.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
There are some pills that you absolutely should not chew. Some are designed to release their contents further in your body, and can actually damage other parts. Check with your doctor.

indosmoke

Oct 30, 2017
France
I can relate, I had this problem until my late teenage years.
All in my head of course, but I just couldn't swallow pills (any size, with water obviously) for whatever reason.

Then I had this major treatment and tbh at the time I had no idea pills could be crushed/mixed, etc.
So it was either swallowing these pills or getting seriously sick, no other option.
I wish I could tell you how I did it but honestly one evening it just "worked". I focused and tried to calm down and sort of forced myself to do it, repeating in my head that there was no other option. It wasn't pleasant but it went down and that was it.

It clicked immediately and I've swallowed tons of pills since then without even thinking about it.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
It tools me forever to swallow pills with just water. Had to work my way there.
1) chew food then place pill in mouth then swallow both.

2) thick liquids

3) sweet liquids

4) water

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
One time I just couldn't swallow a dayquil cap for some reason (I guess because my throat was weak because of, well, the sickness) and I made it burst inside my mouth... on top of that being dangerous, never again holy fuck it was disgusting.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I have bad gag reflexes and I couldn't until like... 17-18? I don't know how I overcame it, now I can do it without even drinking water for everything but the largest pills like vitamins.

Xalechim

Oct 28, 2017
Just use Peanut Butter, the chunky kind with the nuts in it, I can swallow 5 pills at once with that because my mind can't tell the difference between the peanuts and the pills.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
I have a pretty sensitive gag reflex, so yes, it can be difficult. Worst are those horse pill sized multivitamin tablets, which I won't even try with. Gummies work much better for me.

Night

Late to the party
Nov 1, 2017
Clearwater, FL
I'm 36 years old, and in all my days on this Earth, I have never swallowed a single pill/capsule in my life. I just can't. My body can't do it.

I really haven't had any critical conditions that requiere medication, so I just take the occasional naproxen, paracetamol, ibuprofen, aspirin, or supplements, but the way I do it is that I need to chew the pills. I just need to chew them a couple of times so my body can initiate the swallowing process, otherwise my body won't take them.

And for capsules (for example, the occasional omeprazole), I literally open the capsule and just swallow the content.

I never had a problem before, but I'm afraid of needing other medications in the future (when I become old) that strictly forbids chewing the medication and being unable to do it.

Anyone else has the same problem?

As someone in the medical field - please be careful taking medicine the way you're taking it OP.

Some medication has an enteric coating.

An enteric coating is a polymer barrier applied to oral medication that prevents its dissolution or disintegration in the gastric environment. This helps by either protecting drugs from the acidity of the stomach, the stomach from the detrimental effects of the drug, or to release the drug after the stomach.

Omeprazole is okay to take that way but usually, you should try to ingest something with it. Be safe OP.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Every day I swallow about 5 pills at the same time.

But as a kid I was always scared of choking and die, it went away with time.

zon

Oct 28, 2017
I couldn't when I was a kid but I grew out of it in my teens. Nowadays I don't even need water to swallow pills. If I want to swallow several at the same time I do need something to drink though.

Mett

Oct 29, 2017
With water yes, use to not be a problem but within the last year, I almost feel like gagging when I even think about trying to swallow pills, they dont even have to be in my mouth yet.

Oct 25, 2017
You just need to remember that you swallow food a LOT larger than any pill you've ever had on a daily basis with never a problem -- just think of it as food and swallow.

OP
OP
FernandoRocker
Oct 25, 2017
MĂ©xico
I know it's all in my head, because with large pills (like some multivitamins) I only need to chew them 2 or 3 times, so the chewed pill is broke apart in big chunks (larger chunks than some other pills), and then I swallow those pieces.

I don't mind the flavor. The only ones that taste horrible are the fish oil gel capsules... I put them in my mouth and chew them until all the oil is released and then I toss the chewed gel capsule away.

Chippewa Barr

Aug 8, 2020
My GF is an NP in an emerg/ICU and says there are two people that come into the hospital:

Those who are normal, and those who chew their pills lol.

She says it as a joke of course, but def is not common!

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I know it's all in my head, because with large pills (like some multivitamins) I only need to chew them 2 or 3 times, so the chewed pill is broke apart in big chunks (larger chunks than some other pills), and then I swallow those pieces.

I don't mind the flavor. The only ones that taste horrible are the fish oil gel capsules... I put them in my mouth and chew them until all the oil is released and then I toss the chewed gel capsule away.

My grandma "destroy" her pills with a spoon because she thinks is works faster lol. Maybe you could do that.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
But do they interfiere with the healing action? That's what I'm worried about.
They absolutely do. Please listen to the advice you got in this thread because this can both make the medication ineffective and give you adverse effects. Try more water or applesauce/ice cream, or consult your pharmacist for alternative formats.
However, do NOT listen to this:

My grandma "destroy" her pills with a spoon because she thinks is works faster lol. Maybe you could do that.
FFS, no... stop giving bad medical advice people -_-

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
They absolutely do. Please listen to the advice you got in this thread because this can both make the medication ineffective and give you adverse effects. Try more water or applesauce/ice cream, or consult your pharmacist for alternative formats.
However, do NOT listen to this:

FFS, no... stop giving bad medical advice people -_-

Oh sorry. But I don't think it's true, that's why I said "lol"

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't able at first but after multiple attempts managed to learn to do it, always need water though.

I can't see myself chewing pill, sometimes when I struggle, a pill can slightly dissolve on my tongue and it tastes so awful that it instantly triggers a gag reflex. Good if that works for you though.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
I don't take any pills but any time I've tried it's been a real struggle. Friend gave me a fish oil pill a couple of times and both times I ended up chewing it down and getting a nasty aftertaste

gimbles123

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have a problem with pills, however, it is more difficult to swallow the earthy supplements as they are not coated and the exterior tastes what I imagine dirt tastes like which does not help.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I'm 36 years old, and in all my days on this Earth, I have never swallowed a single pill/capsule in my life. I just can't. My body can't do it.

I really haven't had any critical conditions that requiere medication, so I just take the occasional naproxen, paracetamol, ibuprofen, aspirin, or supplements, but the way I do it is that I need to chew the pills. I just need to chew them a couple of times so my body can initiate the swallowing process, otherwise my body won't take them.

And for capsules (for example, the occasional omeprazole), I literally open the capsule and just swallow the content.

I never had a problem before, but I'm afraid of needing other medications in the future (when I become old) that strictly forbids chewing the medication and being unable to do it.

Anyone else has the same problem?
doctor here, I hope you like needles! they are fun!! :D
joking aside most medication have other ways to being administer. for example every drug you mentioned have a water soluble version so you don't have to eat the pills
if you live in Portugal give me a PM and i'll prescribe them to you.

It is also something that is learned with time. My mother only learned to swallow pills at 53 years old. So you don't have to dread it!

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just toss a handful of pills in there and chug some water down. I get that weird 'stuck in the throat' feeling sometimes but it goes away pretty quick.

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Yeah, I suffer with them too. While I do swallow them, I often try swallowing it multiple times (with water) before it finally goes down. I can feel my tongue to the top of my mouth, being terribly unhelpful with the process of swallowing.

Normally, when I want to do it fast, I just nab a tiny slice of bread, chew on it (the bread, not the pill) a bit and them gulp it down along with the pill and water.