• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Hey OP, I've spent lots holidays, birthdays, etc. alone too. Pretty sure I just ate alone for my b-day this year because I was traveling for work.

Do something you enjoy doing! I suppose those occasions can be better with company, if that's not the case just make the best of it!

OP
OP
Giruvegan

Giruvegan

Hey OP, I've spent lots holidays, birthdays, etc. alone too. Pretty sure I just ate alone for my b-day this year because I was traveling for work.

Do something you enjoy doing! I suppose those occasions can be better with company, if that's not the case just make the best of it!
i wish i was alone because of work but that's not the case
i'm having a hard time honestly
my birthdays are me always alone and i ended up deactivating my facebook after i saw everyone else celebrating everyone else's birthdays but couldn't say anything to me unless i mentioned it.

Yeah pretty much, just treating the holidays like any other day. Playing games mostly.

i'd like to do something nice but finances don't allow
it'll be games for me too since everyone will be busy

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Spending it alone this year, couldn't travel. Not gonna lie, it's hard to think of it as "any other day" and it is pretty sad to be away from family and my SO. Gonna spend about 2 weeks home alone.

On the plus side, I am home alone with a cheesecake I just made. It's my only friend now, and I'm eating it into nonexistence.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been doing that for the last 15 years. I never really liked crowds, and even less occasions when you're FORCED to be with people and pretend you're there because you like them. I eat what I want on my own, play games, read books, go for a walk, go to bed early, and shut down the phone to avoid the stupid people who want to wish you a happy new year or whatever.
It started as making the best out of a bad situation (avoiding family like a plague), but with time, it became a habit I'm looking forward to through the year. Spend time with yourself for a while. Treat yourself without having to make concessions to others. You can start doing that again on the 2nd of January.

Pbae

Oct 26, 2017
I am and it feels glorious. Planning on just meditating on how the year went and how I hope to work on the new year. I love my family but sometimes I just want to be alone for a couple days to really decouple myself.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah doing it alone this year as well. Me and my family don't really get along, and my partner is visiting her family this year. In another country. So that's just me. I'll probably watch a movie and play some games.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, it's been a few years now and still a little weird. Going to probably just play games all day and not think about it.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
Me!

I moved to Florida (from Ohio) and I'm not going up this year (but I hate the cold weather anyway, so whatever). I don't have any family in Florida. I honestly don't mind it though. We'll Facetime though.

ArachosiA

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
My birthday is tomorrow and I'll be spending that and Christmas alone because I moved to 2,700 miles away from my hometown this year. It's kind of depressing, but oh well.

KamenSenshi

Nov 27, 2017
Yep. But it's not bad, I'll have time for games and movies sinceI won't be at work. Otherwise it's basically any other day.

nevercomehome

Oct 25, 2017
Moved to a different state last summer so yes. It'll be my first Christmas away from home. I'll be playing games, browsing the internet, and chatting with my other lonely internet pals so I guess I wont truly be alone.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Not this year, but last year I decided to say no to the big family dinner for the first time ever and spend the day alone. It was great and I should've done it years ago. I'm fine with spending time with the family, but those whole-day-long Christmas parties, with too many people stuffed inside the living room, are just so suffocating to me.

This year I'll be spending Christmas with my mother and sister, and we'll have dinner and talk and have a good time for 2 to 3 hours, and then everyone is allowed to do their own thing again. So I'm fine with that.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna be alone too. I got divorced this year and the members of my family are not on speaking terms. We could spend the holidays together, but we don't. So, for a few years I spent it with the well adjusted family of my wife, but not anymore.
Honestly if I don't drink myself to sleep it'll be a win. Halloween and christmas used to be my favorite times of the year, so now the last week of december always reminds me of everything that went wrong, in my family and my marriage.
I'll try to watch a series or play a game and try not to think too much. Same for New Year's Eve.

Jinaar

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton AB
I have done it lots before. No issues. I liked the time to myself. Hope you can find the good in this time for yourself. Cheers, mate!

Lashes.541

Dec 18, 2017
Roseburg Oregon
Yep, Christmas alone like every other holiday in the past ten years. This year I might try and visit with the girl I'm crushing on but that's probably not going to happen, she is one of those people that when stressed out or depressed try's and hides from everyone lol.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My wife has to work, but we did a Xmas this weekend. That night we have about 12 people coming over who all have tough families. We're making food and playing games together.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
My girlfriend died last year in November, I'm too jaded to hang out still. Even though I know she would want me to spend time with my family and friends.

Anomander

Oct 27, 2017
Yup. Where I'm from we don't really celebrate Christmas but I normally travel to see friends or family cuz it becomes a dead town here and I have few weeks of holidays. But since I recently adopted two cats, I can't leave them alone and travel thousands of miles away.

My girlfriend died last year in November, I'm too jaded to hang out still. Even though I know she would want me to spend time with my family and friends.

Oh, man. I'm so sorry to hear that.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
Probably. I'm at the stage where all my friends have partners they do cute christmas stuff with instead of go out drinking like we used to heh.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I spent the last few years alone for the holidays because of work. My girlfriends family lives out of town so I've been ok with it. However, this is the first time in years I got Christmas off and was excited to see my family. Her mom murdered that though. Started big nasty shit over it and now everyone is miserable.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
it's just going to be me playing some games if i can.
it sounds depressing but i'm trying to make the best of it.
is anyone else alone for xmas, etc?

That sucks dude, sorry we're hosting two family parties and attending two friends Xmas parties.

Are there any parties from friends that you can attend? If all else fails why not eat dinner st a Chinese or Korean place.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Yeah, I am spending my month of vacation just being alone. Taking walks in Stockholm to random places every few days, just to get some air, but other than that, I'm just playing games, watching shows and reading books.

Some real life stuff didn't really work out, so all plans became irrelevant, and thus I don't really have anyone to hang out with or do stuff with. It does feel fairly lonely, since most people I know from work are with their families so they are not available, but I have been alone during these things for the last few years here in Sweden, so I have kinda gotten used to it.

On the bright side, it is giving me a lot of me time to think about things, to learn a bit more how to cook, and I have started exercising more.

OP
OP
Giruvegan

Giruvegan

sounds like a lot of people are looking forward to it

That sucks dude, sorry we're hosting two family parties and attending two friends Xmas parties.

Are there any parties from friends that you can attend? If all else fails why not eat dinner st a Chinese or Korean place.
if there was something like that, i would go
there isn't
i live in a small town and my ' friends ' left long ago
i'm broke ( i have like seven cents in my bank account. i live on a very small income ) so i can't buy any food
tho that's what i'd like to buy the most. it's a little comforting that i'm not the only person who has to go through this however,
i think i'll still be fairly miserable since i don't have much to take my mind off of the lack of food in my apartment.

i'm really sorry. life just seems to be really. . .cruel sometimes. i hope better things are on the horizon for you.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Yep. My house flooded (lost a large portion of belongings too) so I'm in a hotel for Christmas and New Year's. Prob not going to be home until Feb. My siblings don't live in the same state, and my parents passed a long time ago. Rest of the family is on different islands too.

It doesn't bother me too much since I have friends etc, but it did put a slight damper for me not to be in my house and in a lil hotel room with no Christmas tree and decorations and stuff. Also, Pbae I went to pick up your gifts, will be posting on the Santa thread soon! Mahalo!

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
it will be small for me; just my mom and sis; will give the yearly call to my extending family. Ever since my grandparents died we've all fractured to our own things.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Yup I'll be alone this one again. Last years xmas was a bust with my ex, and decided to stay here at home this time. I wanted to hit Korea for a few days but waited too long and prices are crazy. So I'll just chill and play some games. I don't get xmas off since I work in Japan, and now the new emperor's b-day isn't the day before xmas so we don't get this time off either. Pretty sure I'm dropping this company because of it since they keep saying its a good time to visit family if you want... yes yes, the days after xmas are the best time to spend xmas with family -eyeroll-

Family wanted me to return for a bit but I could not get time off or save the money. Actually been a bit of a hard year for me so it'll be a little hard admittedly.

Last edited:

Spiderman

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, pretty much alone every year.

It doesn't help that my boss hasn't payed my salary yet.

louie

Oct 29, 2017
Yep. I moved 7000 miles away from home just a few months ago. I only get christmas day off work though, so the time I'll spend alone is minimal.

It's a little tough, I won't pretend. I had a very dear family member pass away on christmas day last year, so they've been on my mind a lot.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
technically yeah, we got the family stuff out of the way early this year. some twinge of sadness in that regard but i just want to drink beer and play games anyway

Aegus

Oct 29, 2017
Yep. I flew back home for a week last month to see family and friends. Not in the mood to do that again so soon.

So I booked an apartment in a nearby ski resort this Xmas. Spend the day on the slopes.