• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Brandino

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
I had it happen once. I was driving and turned off the road, and the car didn't react as if I was driving on grass. That made me realize I was dreaming, so I made the car fly. I actually had a hard time maintaining control of the dream. I think it only lasted like two minutes. But it was a sweet two minutes.

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes and it is awesome. I just don't dream all that often anymore. I've found often I can go right back into a lucid dream (or just a regular dream) after waking up briefly but falling back asleep. I often sleep longer after falling back into sleep (I get very little otherwise). This happens if I'm dreaming or not, and I wonder if it's happening anyway and I just don't remember. Though it tends to be the kind of thing you do.

And I'll echo what others have said. It mostly (but not only) happens in "nightmares" or otherwise weird dreams. I used to have a pretty vivid recurring lucid dream of flying and launching from the same tree in the backyard, though, and that dream is amazing. Try to stay in that dream as long as possible.

It is quite a bizarre feeling when you're 100% into a dream and it seems 99.9% real, while also realizing you are dreaming with control and the ability to wake.

Last edited:

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I am able to do it on occasion, but it's so fucking tricky. The times when I am actually able to it is like walking a tight rope. I realize I'm in a dream and I start affecting the direction of the dream, but I find that if I try to change to much I end up waking myself up.

Also I sometimes have trouble controlling the narrative. I will realize I'm dreaming and intend for one thing to happen and then something completely different happens instead. More often than not it's not anything good. It's really frustrating.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
I was only able to do it once, after I suffered from similar nightmares 3 days in a row. On the 4th day, my brain was like "nightmare" and I had full control over the dream. The nightmares were triggered, because I saw a man, who had his nose bitten off by a bear, on the front cover of a magazine. That was in the 90's and I might have been like 6-7 years old.

Never happened afterwards and I actually don't want it to happen after reading about Sleep Paralysis.

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would also add that falling in and out of the same dream upon waking and re-entering sleep, really slows my perception of the flow of time. You can have what seems like this super detailed and seemingly long adventure, then wake up and realize only like 5 actual minutes passed by.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes I can lucid dream but not always, and when I do I have to be careful because it makes me wake up more easily for some reason.

Like, how did you try directing it? Because the way it happens for me is "and now I can fly. And now I will fly down to _____."

And then I am flying.

I often try to fly as well, but the funny thing is I suck at flying. Like I'd levitate a bit but I can't get too high and then I fall back down. :(

CyrilFiggis

Nov 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
I discovered this as a child when having nightmares. I would figure out I'm in a dream and force myself to wake up, typically by closing my eyes in the dream. That slowly transitioned into having actual control of myself in my dreams. I can't conjure up stuff Inception-style, but I can work with what is there.

It happens less and less the older I get. Now when it happens I usually use the time in a similar manner to one playing GTA. I just do all sorts or crazy stuff that would be illegal or frowned upon in real life. That and sex.

How do you know you're lucid dreaming and not just dreaming that you are?
Damn. Too deep. Interesting thought, though.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe before I start to walk up. Otherwise it is one nightmare situation after another for me.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I get this intermittently.

Last one I remember was a few days ago. I had super powers: flight and telekenis, and it really felt like I was actively using them.

I was in a war against generic uniformed bad guys and I was throwing them everywhere and soaring through the skies, it felt really good.

The end was weird. I really needed a poo, like for real while I was sleeping, and in my dream I was flying close to the ground over a field doing what felt like a never ending poo.

I woke up and for a moment I thought the worst until my brain registered everything was ok... and I calmly made my way to the loo.

Whenever this happens though I wake up exhausted. It's like I haven't slept at all. Maybe as my brain is so active? It's fun though.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
So wait, you can actually train yourself to have these lucid dreams all the time?
Training yourself to always remember your dreams is pretty easy, did it in 2-3 weeks to a point that I had several dreams each night.

Starting to have control over those is the hard part I gave up on after 2-3 more weeks.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Nope. It's happened very rarely for me. Probably for the best as my bed sheets would be ruined if I could control my own dreams!

LatteToGo

Oct 28, 2017
I Lucid dream all the time.. I've done some insane things in my Dreams.

1) I basically have sex with whoever I want, I just grab them and go at it.
2) I can jump really far and fast like the Matrix.
3) If a dream is going sour, I can concentrate and force myself to wake up at will.
4) I realize I'm having a recurring dream, and I change my actions with knowledge of what will happen so the result is different.
5) Sometimes, I can actively rewind my dreams to a previous time to change what happens. I basically control time. This is rare though.
6) I can talk to my "Dream" self as the real me who is sleeping. It's like I have two minds, and we discuss what to do in the dream. Sometimes he disagrees, but we usually go with it.

Teach me, sensai

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
"Once upon a time, I dreamt I was a butterfly, fluttering hither and thither, to all intents and purposes a butterfly. I was conscious only of my happiness as a butterfly, unaware that I was myself. Soon I awaked, and there I was, veritably myself again. Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man."

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Had some dope ass flying dreams! Also one where I was being terrorized by a T-Rex and "woke up" in my dream and decided I'd had enough, grabbed it by it's jaws and threw it through the wall, it continued on to smash through the walls of the next 2 or 3 rooms adjacent to the one I was in. Made me powerful af. A couple sex dreams but they never work out the way I want them to so I kind of gave up on those.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah, I have been a lucid dreamer for most of my life. Not 100% of the time but pretty close.

There usually is a limit to what I can do though, as if each dream has it's own set of rules and such.

I unfortunately can't really remember them clearly anymore, though I was able to when I was younger.