• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
I played the demo, and just I can't get past the presentation. The character sprites barely animate (even the ones in Tactics Ogre from the freaking SNES have more animation - even the GBA spinoff has better sprite work!), the voice acting of the main character is legitimately painful to listen to, and the combat is just so sluggish. Everything feels like it takes an eternity to resolve.

I have plenty of vacation time banked, but I have no idea where I would even go. Not by myself, at least. I've been so isolated for so long that I can't really fathom traveling by myself, I'd just be throwing money in a hole and setting it on fire to be depressed and alone somewhere else. And that's to say nothing of COVID concerns.

Tried VR yet? Brand new experiences and lot of social interaction gaming. Even DnD type games.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
I don't even really know what I'm getting at right now, or if I'm even making sense. I'm just so utterly discouraged by the direction the industry is heading on the whole. Basically every franchise I really care about is either dead, has been warped beyond comprehension, or is on a hiatus so long it might as well not even exist. Nothing new seems conceptually exciting because virtually every game is targeting the exact same kinds of demographics and gameplay styles. Monetization is rampant, live services secrete out of every orifice, and entire genres and playstyles are being swept off the board to make room for more of the same homogenized, gray nothingness.

I just need to know that I'm not the only person who has literally nothing to look forward to anymore. I feel like I'm in Tartarus - it's like everyone around me has something to play or look forward to and I can't even zero in on a single game that appeals to me moving forward. Is this what it feels like to be completely left behind by your primary hobby? I'm just extremely unhappy at the moment and having your main hobby basically do an about-face and walk straight away from you when you need something to drag you out of the pit is really extra painful.
To me it feels like your mind is stuck in the "good old days".
At some point you found games, franchises, genres that you fell in love with and since they've been discontinued or changed too much you feel like there's nothing left for you. That is only true if you don't allow yourself to try out and enjoy things that are outside of that comfort zone.
I keep seeing your comments in threads and most of the time you're complaining about stuff. I really don't mean this in a condescending way but have you tried looking at the positive side of things?
I'm pretty sure I'm not going to like the FFXVI battle system. Instead of being dejected about it, I'd rather be glad that a lot of the rest of the game looks rland sounds really promising.
It might not check off every box on my wish-list but that doesn't mean the game will be a disappointment.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
It's probably the best time to play video games; between AAA/AA, indies, F2P, mobile, VR, classics and old games. If you have nothing to play or look forward then man I don't know what to say…cause I'm drowning in them and I don't even like most genres but do give them a go because you never know 🤷‍♂️

Kemiko

Oct 5, 2018
I honestly feel like there's never been a more diverse selection of games. There's practically something for everyone now, the scope and breadth of what is out there is enormous.

I think the problem now is finding out about the lesser known games that would be perfect for you outside of someone else recommending. So much gets buried by bigger releases.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
Just when I think I am getting out, I find something new that pulls me back in.

Recently it was little things like Super Auto Pets or Dicey Dungeons.

I still enjoy my AAA, and AA experiences But its these new little finds that just bring me joy and back into the "I can like this again all the time"

Katmeister

Banned
May 1, 2021
OP if you want slower paced games to enjoy and relax to why don't you get Xenoblade 3 and Soul Hackers 2? Xenoblade is real-time but it's not an action RPG everything is determined by stats so you can play it like a turn-based game. Soul Hackers 2 is straight up turn-based.

It does sound like you've limited yourself by wanting one specific thing and not getting it. A dark fantasy political thriller JRPG with AAA budget.

You can't get that story you want but you CAN get turn-based RPGs which fit your criteria of having a more controllable pace and more cerebral gameplay.

I believe you live in the US so I can imagine getting some help can be really difficult with how fucked the healthcare system is. But I really do hope you could get some mental health support because it really sounds like you need it.

D O T

Jan 1, 2021
I'm at the polar opposite, there is so much games I'm looking forward to, having enough time to play it is my only concern

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PlanetSmasher you "don't really" have a PC? Does this mean that your PC is fairly old or extremely outdated? If so then you're in luck cause most indie games don't have high spec requirements. You can still find indies that fit your criteria AND are able to be run on a toaster.
If you REALLY, ACTUALLY want to find a way out of the rut you find yourself in then it's gonna take some soul searching and introspection on your part. You are 100% going to have to make some changes to yourself.
The number of posts disagreeing with your thread premise should be an indicator that this is completely a capital Y You problem. Cause the games you like are out there. They just aren't going to fit EVERY criteria you have. The graphics may not be cutting edge, or the story may be lacking, or it may be something that isn't brand new. Whatever. The point is that they're out there. Turn-based RPGs aren't dead, they just had to find a new neighborhood to move into cause they got priced out of their expensive subdivision.

Even if you got some lenovo Thinkpad, as long as it's been made in the past 5 years you can still emulate fairly recent consoles. I doubt you've played every PS2 JRPG worth playing. And I seriously doubt you've hit the bottom of the well on SNES JRPGs. Same with PS1. Maybe it's time for you to reject modernity and return to tradition. Especially with new fan translations for games that never got localized in English.

Oh, and the Shadowrun Returns games are on console. Dragonfall and Hong Kong are great. Their graphics suck though so.. you're gonna have to get over that. (I think they're pretty but it ain't AAA.)

Oct 29, 2017
I get how it can feel like that. As a person whose favorite types of games are Bethesda and BioWare style RPGs, there was a period of a few years in the PS4/XB1 generation where it just felt like NOTHING was coming out that catered to me, after that faucet being on full power for the previous generation. That's just the way it is sometimes, genres go through cycles for whatever reason. There will be more games.. or it might be a matter of just discovering something new to get into.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
vastly different like one game has towers, and the other game has walking towers and another game has enemy camps that if you clear them work like towers
I certainly agree that "BUt theY alL HaVe campS and TOwers" is very reductionist take about about game structure, thank you for demonstrating.

The core gameplay loop, progression loop, pacing, storytelling, level design, etc. you know, all things that should be considered the structure of a game, are very different. But they're all made by entirely different people who have different ideas about how to execute similar ideas.

Yorker14

Apr 27, 2022
Sydney, Australia
Well I made the thread going AGAINST the take that game writing is on the whole worse than film and tv. And people debated me on it.
You did! I actually just searched through my history there to find the original thread and you were going against that sort of take. My bad, when you said you were the one who posted that thread my anxiety kicked in and I felt terrible. Anyway, I rescind my previous apology and replace with this new one haha. Good to know you were on the side of sense in that original thread :)

Aronleon

Apr 9, 2020
No, there are so so SO many games right now that its impossible for me to not find something good to play even If I tried.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
It still boggles the mind for me how an enthusiast forum like Era can have such a 'AAA only' mentality. Especially in the age of subscription catalogues.

Seriously there's MTX free, unique experiences everywhere.

But if you limit yourself to the biggest budget games you'll get the games where publishers take the least risks.

And that's why you'll end up with boring, samey, safe content that tries to nickle and dime you to make up the investment.

BrunOz

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
A future for this hobby?

My PS2 still hooked to my TV with hundreds of titles that I've never finished and yet good games like Elden Ring, Monster Hunter Rise, Vampire Survivors and a lot more are still being released lol

Type422

Nov 28, 2017
Absolutely no. Yes, some trends are a bit worrying but at a whole, there is so much to play right now. So I'm pretty relaxed. And if everything in the industry should go down the shitter, at least I've got a big retro library. Hell, I've got countless PSone JRPGs that I still need to play...
So as others stated in the thread already: Just try something new. With Gamepass or to a certain extend PS Plus it's now so easy to try out new genres.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
I can relate with a lot of things Planet have said over the years about this industry, even if his disappointment stems from different areas of mine, but I honestly can't imagine torturing myself by engaging with the gaming side of things for so long if I feel there's truly nothing to look forward to. I'd say I'm in a less intense position to where PS is. I have lost some passion for this hobby over the years, and stuff about the industry and such have turned me off, franchises and types of games I used to like don't get made anymore, etc, but I simply turn to other interests/hobbies when I feel these feelings are really getting at me, and in turn, end up feeling better.

Getting this worked up over your dissatisfaction with a pastime that should, above all, give you enjoyment can't be good for one's mental health.

Aleman

Dec 20, 2018
I realized I'm happy cutting back on gaming, if I only spend a couple hours a week on it (mostly playing with family) it's still great with plenty to play. I now spend most of my free time making music instead, which scratches the same itch but I find more rewarding.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I kinda feel this is much more a "You and your life" kinda problem and much less a "You and the video games industry" one

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
I'm agonizingly tired of action RPGs on a general level. I am tired of "smash the square button a million times, doing negligible damage to the enemy, but they can flatten you like a pancake with a single hit, better have them perfect dodges!" as a central gameplay conceit for 40 to 60 hour long games. I'm worn out, depressed and fucking exhausted by even being alive right now. I want something I can chill out while I'm playing instead of being expected to be perpetually on every time I play.
Hopefully this doesn't read like annoying armchair psychology and apologies if it does. This is just based on what you wrote in this thread about how things are for you outside of games.

I think you're asking for the impossible, in that you want escapism, but sometimes personal thoughts and feelings cannot be totally divorced from hobbies. I'm saying that because I know it's a shitty feeling, I've felt it before when I've been through tough times with mental health. It's terrible when you run into the idea that the hobby that provided the switch for that annoying part of your brain doesn't work anymore. And that can even exacerbate things and almost feel like a betrayal, because this thing that previously helped you a lot can't anymore.

I'm not sure you'll get what you're looking for unless things improve personally. At least that's how it worked for me and how I got to liking certain hobbies again. And I hope it works for you and I really am sorry you are going through this.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Many have said enough.

but even if we go from 100 games where 10% is dlc microtransaction and multiplayer focused
to 1000 where 80% is that, we still have twice the amount of great games.

If you just want to get the same franchises you grew up with...thats kinda like not getting modern music, because its not Queen or Pink Floyd and Michael Jackson, while ignorin the masses of inovative and creative musik, and many bands that are making the musik like those, but not geting the mass attention like they used to anymore becuase its not novel enough.

And i will take it further: if there are some core games that formed your taste, you wont get equivalents to that anymore probably. They inprinted on you, and had a huge inpact. but your tastes are formed now, you wont have many games anymore that transform that.

Also why nostalgias a b***h, but dont fool yourself that its just the industry (and im not saying the mass industry is not taking some really bad turns...), but the industry grew so big, that there will always be a good place for good games.

Like, people that where "wheres the survival horror!" a decade ago ("everything becomes an action game!" during RE6 days...),... the indie scene is full of retro RE style horror games, amnesia style horror games, inovative ideas in horror...

Adventure games? those where big again for a while, and here and there we get some great ones. Heck, there is a new money island on the way.
Nintendo mainline games? mostly non microtranaction/multiplayery as always.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6j0zKSXAFE

Please watch this and tell me this hobby is devoid of creativity

I can't wait for this game! Thirsty suitors is another one I can't wait for! I feel like games are in a real good place right now, especially with the return of mid market single A to double A titles! Like soulstice, steelrising, the chant, & asterigos look awesome without a triple A budget! Plus there also stuff like stray, season: a letter to the future & rollerdrome! Games that have an atmosphere & are focus more creativity rather than telling a cinematic story (which I also love, but variety & all that!). I don't know, but this year just feels diverse for whatever reason and I haven't felt that way about games in awhile.

LD50

Banned
May 11, 2022
My man really wonders why he gets dog piled in one thread and does this. At some point you gotta stop beating your head against a wall, you don't like the hobby; you barley like anything at all; walk away dude.

Or maybe you actually like being a forum celebrity, maybe you like being the "Negative Nancy of Era"? Like, people guess if its a "Planet Smasher post" just by how it's worded; but you like that don't you? That's why you keep doing this?

Anyway,

Gaming is awesome currently, lots of diverse experiances out there. Sorry it doesnt speak to you anymore.
I understand some of what you're saying, but it isn't that serious. PS just misses the time when the hobby was "for them". Sometimes its hard to acclimate to the shifting dynamic of the game industry.

Cynicism is very often warranted; some developers/publishers seem to revel in removing as much joy from the hobby as possible in order to make as much money as they can. The 'fans' are often just as bad in other areas. It's understandable.

The rigidity on certain series and genres could use some work, though.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even have time to play everything I want to. I feel like the game industry has done a fantastic job of being diverse with tons of games to pick and choose. I'm currently trying finish up Xenoblade Torna before XC3 comes out. Next week I get to play a game where you play as a cat in a future cyberpunk city in Stray. I just finished Neon White, one of the best action games I've ever played. Before that I just finished AI The Somnium Files 2, detective action visual novel hybrid and it was fantastic. I'm trying to find time to do hunts in Sunbreak. One of the best games I played last year was a furry horror visual novel. The industry is incredibly diverse with a ton to play and a lot of it being super high quality. This isn't even counting stuff I regularly play like Genshin, FFXIV, Destiny, and Fall Guys. I'm not worried at all about the future of gaming.

Also I hope you pick up Live a Live cause that seems 100% up your alley.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I would have agreed with you last generation, Felt like I lost Xbox and Wii U wasn't providing me with the most hope. These days though, I'd have to disagree since I'm a huge Nintendo fan and I feel like Switch has been killing it. PS5 is also surprising me as someone who has never been a huge Sony person. I have pretty narrow tastes like the OP seems to have, but I feel like I can find cool stuff between Switch and PS5. Indie games provide a lot of variety and Nintendo AAA stuff is hardly like Ubisoft games. Neither is Sony AAA stuff really.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I understand some of what you're saying, but it isn't that serious. PS just misses the time when the hobby was "for them". Sometimes its hard to acclimate to the shifting dynamic of the game industry.

Cynicism is very often warranted. The rigidity could use some work, though.
I honestly don't think he misses when "the hobby was for him" I think he misses how his life was at that time.
The games are just a convenient way of measuring the "good times" versus the "now bad times".

Oct 27, 2017
...is this a joke thread? It honestly baffles me how someone can think this at the moment. I could see an argument for someone thinking this in 2013, before indie gaming renaissance had started, when all the AA devs were dying off due to move to HD, when all we seemed to get were 3rd person shooters with various shades of browns and greys...

But I mean gaming has literally never been stronger, more varied, more accessible (in terms of both price and availability) or in a better place in terms of financial support/interest than it has ever been right now. This thread is ludicrious.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like each day has the potential of an exciting new announcement.

My No. 1 most wanted game is FF7 Rebirth. The hype cycle for that game will be enormously enjoyable in its own right. And leading up to its release, there will also be BotW2, FF16, SF6, RE4R -- all next year.

And this year, the amount of goodness is already overwhelming. We're coming hot off Elden Ring, Pokémon Legends Arceus and an incredible 3D Kirby. A new Mario Strikers just released, along with a massive MonHun expansion, a top-shelf Capcom Fighting Collection, inspired Cuphead DLC, and the new TMNT. Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is this month. Splatoon 3 is this September. The new Mario Rabbids is this October. Bayonetta 3 is the week right after, and looks AMAZING. And the same day, RE8's third-person mode and DLC are available. The ninth generation of Pokémon starts in November; there's God of War Ragnarok; and a modern remake of Metroid Prime is said to arrive the same month. Speaking of remakes, the new Crisis Core actually looks good and is sometime this winter. The Ever Crisis mobile game actually looks great. We've also seen leaked screens of the next mainline Fire Emblem, said to be pretty much done. We also have reason to believe there's an FF Tactics remake and FF9 remake. And of course, Hollow Knight: Silksong is on the way.

As early as next week, we could see more Mario Kart 8 Deluxe tracks, and more Pokémon concepts. I also anticipate Mario Strikers DLC in the coming weeks, a rescheduled Advance Wars 1+2, more games for Nintendo Switch Sports, and maybe even Mario Party Superstars DLC. I'm also stoked to see which N64 games are brought back next, and to see what comes of the data-mined GB/GBC/GBA games. Mother 3, maybe??

I'm thankful there's so much good stuff. Hopefully you will find something, OP, or warm up to what's there.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
It still boggles the mind for me how an enthusiast forum like Era can have such a 'AAA only' mentality.
We are often at the forefront of gaming news, (trailers from the heavy hitters at e3 get posted INSTANTLY and instantly start generating discussion as an example), and places outside of Era don't generate the same quality or frequency of discourse. The double edged sword of that is that the games that get the most attention tend to be the ones where publishers spent tens of millions on marketing. Still, a lot of niche games get brought up here. Which arguably shifts the perception that those games are way more paid attention to than they are by the general gaming audience.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
This is the post of someone who lives on a different planet than me. I am so thoroughly overwhelmed by video games I want to play, it's actually a bit discouraging to know how much I am, and will, miss out on.

Like, I can only imagine feeling this way if you literally only touch big budget games(and even then, there's still so much overwhelming shit there) or if you have infinite time.

Creepy Woody

Nov 11, 2017
Australia
I think it's just more obvious right now than ever before how scummy these companies can be.
I know that's what they've always been and that's just companies in general, but it's never been as painfully obvious.

That being said there are still a lot of good games coming, I've been getting more into indie stuff for example. Indie getting better all the time.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Even if you got some lenovo Thinkpad, as long as it's been made in the past 5 years you can still emulate fairly recent consoles. I doubt you've played every PS2 JRPG worth playing. And I seriously doubt you've hit the bottom of the well on SNES JRPGs. Same with PS1. Maybe it's time for you to reject modernity and return to tradition. Especially with new fan translations for games that never got localized in English.

Oh, and the Shadowrun Returns games are on console. Dragonfall and Hong Kong are great. Their graphics suck though so.. you're gonna have to get over that. (I think they're pretty but it ain't AAA.)
Yeah, a flatmate of mine is challeinging him to see how many games he can run on his older linux thinkpad...not even 1080p...and there is a schocking amount of not so old games that works on it, and emulation aond indies... hundreds and thousands of games.

Mind you, then youre usually out of the hype sphere, that DOES kinda revolve a lot around those big AAA microtransaction multiplayer releases... and thats maybe part of the problem here...

ventuno

Nov 11, 2019
I think that gaming is only frustrating right now if you're really set on what you want games to be, how you want them to play and what stories they're telling and the calls for improvement and change don't resonate with you. This can mean a lot of things. Whether or not you see a need for evolution in who gets to be a protagonist, what settings are favored, how character design should be approached... Are games truly becoming homogenized or do you just not recognize the changes that have happened as valid or positive?

There are real efforts to feature protagonists who aren't straight white men. There are actual, useful accessibility features being implemented AND improved with care. A project like Ghost of Tsushima is an AAA release and gives hope to Japanese developers that they don't have to make sure games are palatable for close minded gamers who only want to see white men in eurocentric settings in order for their projects to be successful. There is a lengthy thread on sexualized female character designs on this very forum that hasn't been deleted, isn't filled with naysayers and dismissals and the discussion is allowed to happen.

Games evolving is honestly not a problem, far from it, but it is a problem for you since you're not getting what you want. There's a wealth of creativity and new ideas and increased efforts to diversify what perspectives the industry recognizes the value of. Knocking this down is rather unfortunate, especially when there still is so much work to be done.

Monetization, widespread abuse, bigotry, and crunch are some of the much bigger issues, especially since they keep getting normalized or ignored. These issues have deeper consequences than stories not meeting your view of What Games Should Be and shouldn't be put on the same level.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Not really, and I even say this as an industry person.

There's a lot of big budget games that excite and satisfy me (even if most of time not fully, but that is ok), an enormous amount of indie games of all kinds, and with preservation getting better and better, an infinite catalogue of classics I never touched.

For every shitty trend I always gind something clever somewhere else, and even in disappointing games I still find something to enjoy. I also tolerate steong direction changes in franchises (see FF), because more often than not they still bring something interesting with them.

I actually think with the PS4 gen onward, my enjoyment as a gamer is hitting peak.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
I've found that most games don't do it for me anymore, though not necessarily because of monetization. I'm kind of ok with that, though. I've just transitioned to doing other things like learning languages or working out more and gaming less. I haven't completely stopped gaming, but now a game like a jrpg that I could complete in a month can take me several months -- which is a good thing for me personally, as by the time I've finished, that rare game that I might actually enjoy is often around the corner.

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
Mind you, then youre usually out of the hype sphere, that DOES kinda revolve a lot around those big AAA microtransaction multiplayer releases... and thats maybe part of the problem here...
AAA games (most games, really) sell the bulk of their copies in the first week. Hence, the games with the biggest marketing budgets use that money to drive the hype sphere for that week. And those same games usually have a bunch of MTX, so they can get a degree of recurring revenue from those buyers caught in the hype cycle.

Jun 5, 2018
I certainly feel like this at times, I still have a couple of upcoming releases I'm excited for but more often than not I haven't enjoyed what's been released lately, that said at least for me, I think I'm part of the reason for this, who I am has changed and so gaming isn't as important to me, I used to play nearly every genre of games at love them but now a days I find my pallet is quite limited in terms of only specific things getting me excited.

But I also definitely feel like modern game design isn't the same, much in the same way that big films changed as budgets ballooned and thus less risks where taken, so too have video games become more expensive and thus had more restrictions placed on their design, the solution to both many will say is Indie's, but let's not forget plenty of people's favourite franchises started as an indie title, and as one who likes to get invested in a series there's no guarantee that future entries will not change into something I don't like.

The solution I've come to is a simple one, i have another hobby/activity that brings me great joy and won't require me to be at the mercy of massive company decisions, I relegated gaming as my number two and when something excites me great.

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska
Seems like an overly negative view ? There hasn't been any other period where so many good games keeps coming out at any point in the history of the medium than right now.

Taking a step back and like mentioned befoe some kind of vacation could maybe help ? I just went camping last week-end for the first time and I'm 36 I'm very not outdoorsy and I honestly had no idea I could be this relaxed and while I went into it a bit reluctantly I came away very pleased by it and will repeat the experience for sure.

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
It's all a matter of perspective
every gaming sucks thread becomes a rec list for me. I am 100+ wishlist titles deep and screaming for mercy. Keep em coming

Oct 27, 2017
Gaming's as good as ever imo

If it's not doing anything for you it'd probably be more worthwhile to just find another hobby rather than dwell on it.

Drungo

Jun 24, 2022
While I don't have the same tastes in games as you, I can relate to the type of thing you're feeling, so maybe I can suggest a few avenues of introspection.

- It seems like you want 2 things out of gaming that are kind of diametrically opposite:
- You lament the homogenization of game design and the lack of friction involved in engaging in a new game.
- You do not want to submit yourself to the friction of truly engaging with something new on its own terms.

The desire for your object of pleasure to make use of the latest cutting edge technology and graphics suggests you are on an unhealthy hedonic treadmill in your relationship to gaming. Take a step back and consider WHY it bothers you so much that there will be very few if any high budget AAA games that meet your specifications. IMO if the main source of pleasure you derive from games is the narcotizing escape from reality provided by ever escalating technology and budgets, you have to understand that that is going to follow the whims of capital and the market and either submit to riding that train or getting off.

Status
Not open for further replies.