• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
What's up with framing "sounding anime" as a bad thing btw? I hear that a lot when it comes to dubs and it just doesn't make sense to me.

Like most games of this genre are literally anime. So them sounding like one seems like the correct choice to make? Like they will never make this sound like a western RPG. Just wouldn't fit. I saw the same complains about XV and that one had a fantastic dub.

Kinda offtopic, I know, just a thought I had.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's not grating but it's not great either. Doesn't really sound natural, but that's usually the nature with dubs in general.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
I am reserving judgement until I play the game because I think it is tough with these trailers they have put together.

Except that I can tell you whoever is playing Red XIII killed it.

SayWord

Banned
Dec 4, 2019
I don't get how people can be so upset about the voice acting when its mostly dialogue cut from all context due to the trailer.

Even from what is in the trailer, it actually sounds alright.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
The English voice acting in this game is a crime (at least from the trailers, but it's not like it's going to magically change in the actual game). Someone should be fired, but they won't be. A collection of some of my thoughts on the subject...

Fired?

Well, I think we hit peak hyperbole.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Aerith is the weak link in the newest trailer but it sounds fine to me overall for what it is. Not Final Fantasy XII or Xenoblade 1 level but whatever.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
The English voice acting in this game is a crime (at least from the trailers, but it's not like it's going to magically change in the actual game). Someone should be fired, but they won't be. A collection of some of my thoughts on the subject...

So you say it won't affect you but you think someone should be fired? That doesn't make any sense and is kinda hyperbole.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I can't understand the extreme reactions to it. It's not perfect and there are more than a few lines in the trailers that sound a bit off to me, but I think on the whole it's pretty good.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I'll repeat what I said in the trailer thread:

It sounds quite awful. I was cringing the whole time. Unnatural, lifeless, and robotic voice acting. And it's not just the voice actors and how they deliver the script. The script itself sounds pretty awful. They're working with what they've got, and what they've got is a mess.

The script sounds so unnatural and so... translated. People simply don't talk like that. No native Engish speaker in their right mind would ever say such things to express whatever is happening. Stuff like: "The stench of the director's cowardice fills the room yet again". I mean really now? Really!? It's an English phrase alright, one you might find in a book, an old one presumably, but no one actually ever speaks like that. Ever.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
The English voice acting in the last trailer was really bad, yes. It just didn't fit.

I watched it in Japanese and it helped but I'll say that it reminded me most of some Japanese TV I've seen, which isn't much, but something like recent Kamen Rider shows where the stories are serious but everyone's kinda campy. Maybe that could work, but dubbing something like Kamen rider in English would never work for me and that's what I'm feeling is happening here if that makes any sense.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
It sounds fine. Cloud's "not a word" and "no!" when teased about his outfit was pretty great. I would need to see an entire uninterrupted cutscene though.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
I think it sounds better than 95% of other JRPGs.

I'll be playing it with JP audio anyway.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad video game voice acting has come far enough that people can call this "really bad" with a straight face.

Oct 27, 2017
DQXI had superb VA? It was okay but nothing to celebrate lol. That said, I think the issue with FFVII's VA is more the writing than anything. Dialogue just does not sound natural to me.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Huh? It's perfectly fine. Compared to other JRPGs this is of rather high quality actually.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'll repeat what I said in the trailer thread:

It sounds quite awful. I was cringing the whole time. Unnatural, lifeless, and robotic voice acting. And it's not just the voice actors and how they deliver the script. The script itself sounds pretty awful. They're working with what they've got, and what they've got is a mess.

The script sounds so unnatural and so... translated. People simply don't talk like that. No native Engish speaker in their right mind would ever say such things to express whatever is happening. Stuff like: "The stench of the director's cowardice fills the room yet again". I mean really now? Really!? It's an English phrase alright, one you might find in a book, an old one presumably, but no one actually ever speaks like that. Ever.
Ha!

He sounds just like my old art professor during our portfolio review. We would all have to present our work for the instructors and class to go over and he was a very... verbose... man.

"This eyesore taints the rest of your work and I'm nauseated you included it."
"What banality is this? Are you truly proud of this inclusion? What a waste of our instructions and your talents."
"Congratulations. You've invented a new form of ass."
"Remove this from your portfolio. It's rubbish that infects the eyes of everyone in the room who has seen it. It is anti-inspirational."

People totally do talk like this.

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
I'd have to watch it again. I do recall thinking that some of the Shinra people's voices sounding a bit off in this recent trailer, but nothing too crazy. Like others have said I'm gonna chalk it up to the mixing for the trailer for now.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
It at least sounds better than FFXV and KH3. I doubt anyone from the game's getting nominated for any acting awards.

Samawati

Sep 15, 2019
What's up with framing "sounding anime" as a bad thing btw? I hear that a lot when it comes to dubs and it just doesn't make sense to me.
It's shorthand for over-acted, overwrought, overly cartoonish, and generally unconvincing. I don't think anyone is expecting a Naughty Dog performance (although that would be sick) because those simply aren't recorded in the same way. But in a story where any of the events are expected to be taken seriously, people generally want characters that sound and act close to actual human beings. There are some fantastic dubs out there (Bebop and GitS come to mind) that still have "anime" hallmarks, but this is not one of them.

That being said, the Japanese track sounds equally schlocky so I don't think it's (just) the actors. Game just may not have the overall tone people are expecting.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
The game was always cartoony.

"Let's mosey" right before Sephiroth destroys the world? OK then.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Fired?

Well, I think we hit peak hyperbole.

So you say it won't affect you but you think someone should be fired? That doesn't make any sense and is kinda hyperbole.

Final Fantasy VII is my favorite game of all time and has been since I played it for the first time in 1997. I have no need for hyperbole when talking about the greatest game ever made. Now, this is a REMAKE of the greatest game ever made, and it is yet to be determined how close this remake will come to claiming that title, but everything looks amazing, done with care and top notch, EXCEPT the one area where they dropped the ball, the English voice acting. So yes, you absolutely can not have a 10 everywhere else and have the person responsible for voice casting deliver you a 2 at best. This thing sounds like an episode of Scooby Doo or He-Man.

And no, it won't affect me because I will be playing in Japanese. But let's not act like I won't be making multiple runs through this game, I'd like to do my second run in English, but I don't think I can with what I'm hearing. I played the Witcher 3 in English and it has amazing English voice acting, I don't think it's asking too much of Square in 2020 to have something on that level of quality for their flagship title, or - at the very least - something not on the level of quality as a Saturday morning cartoon show.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I hope you all don't cry over the poor realism when Sephiroth destroys the sun and only deals 9998 damage to the party members.

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Barrett is not good, but the rest is fine.

I wish they wouldn't make one of the few black characters I have in RPGs sound like that.

I would've done it for free lifetime access to your games, SE. Sheesh.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Barret's is by far the worst. I'm sure its the actual dialogue because I dont think even the best actor could make it work.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Yes. It sounds like it's managed out of whatever hole XV was managed out of. A lot of voices that sound like they never heard english people on the street.

Yo, what up, wizzle! What's bitching motherfucker? and stuff. Real people talk like that but FF characters do not.

mrkapawutzis

Oct 30, 2017
When I hear Barrett, his voice reminds me of the Lethal Weapon movies in It's Always Sunny when they're imitating Murtaugh.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I can't wait to see people lose their minds when they remember a robot cartoon cat is one of the party members. "It's not realistic enough!"

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
its better than most Voice acting for anime like games/jrpgs nowadays. Hell I can remember a time when people loved valkyrie profile's dub. and that is literally 4kids dub cast the game.(just like berserk lol)

DeSolos

Nov 14, 2017
This is some of the best voice acting I have heard in a Square game!
Gives me 90s Saturday morning anime vibes in a good way.

FF7 is at its worst trying to be too serious. Playing into the campiness is making this game for me! Wouldn't have it any other way!
Also best Cloud ever.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The VA sound fine, just watch a few minutes of the demo footage. And the dialogues are good too.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds terribleWe've seen too much footage to use the excuse of it being "out of context".

It's not the actors, it's the voice directing that has everyone doing their 4Kids impression (save Red 13). Even for the crazy story they are retelling, it's way too exaggerated.

in game banter seems fine for now though.

Samawati

Sep 15, 2019
I can't wait to see people lose their minds when they remember a robot cartoon cat is one of the party members. "It's not realistic enough!"
I think you're confusing "convincing" with "realistic." The point of acting (especially in more fantastic settings) is to make characters believable to the audience, no matter how outlandish.

That being said, yeah, there's some significant hyperbole going on here.

Barrett is not good, but the rest is fine.

I wish they wouldn't make one of the few black characters I have in RPGs sound like that.
I do not know what the hell going on with him. Like, I can't tell what they were trying to hit there.

almendrabl

Jan 24, 2020
I'm not one to complain about things in gaming usually, so consider this as more of a critique by what's been exhibited in the trailers.

For me, the voice acting is unusually stiff. Even for Jrpg standards. As a jrpg vet, I can say what good English and poor English VA is like.

Not sure what is happening with VII R's voice acting. It seems really stiff. Barrett's line delivery sounds like something out of a Saturday morning cartoon, the execs giving their exchange at the Shinra HQ office (in the latest trailer). Then there was that weird line about butter in the latest trailer (uttered by that smarmy, squat fellow drinking tea). All of which sounded like near b-movie dialogue.

I had postulated if this was intentional a little after I saw the trailer. But I really don't think it's deliberate.

The acting seems uneven to me. Aerith and Tifa sound solid, and Red XIII sounds great. Cloud is sort of hit or miss but I feel like he'll grow on me. I think so far the stuff, awkward sounding voice acting is coming from the supporting cast.

That said, Corneo sounds fine, and the dude at the Honey Bee inn who gives his dialogue to Cloud was actually great imo.

Y'all here the superb VA work that was Dragon Quest XI? Comparably speaking the VII R VAing sounds weird to me.

So it's a bit jarring, you have some of the cast who sound solid, and the rest who sound like an early 2000s voiced rpg.

I hope it's all subject to change and will sound solid in context and with immersion.
What does Era think?

Still going to be great though.

To all the people who have doubts about the voice acting in the last trailer of FF7R, I invite you to watch the demo leaked last month to clear your doubts.
I think this bad perception is due to the bad edition between image and audio of the trailers.