• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
The whole area of game guides seems to have very poor standards nowadays. Even ignoring videos, if you look for text-based stuff a lot of the results are games sites that put up a bare-bones incomplete guide within the first week or so of a game's release, and then add stuff only sporadically (or never). I assume this is based on views and that there's a lot of skeleton guides out there that are going to remain skeletal because they're not driving traffic, but it feels like there's a whole lot of effort being wasted creating worthless stuff.

Then of course the wikis that are right on the borderline of navigable websites where there's a decent chance that you will actually get the information you're looking for, once you've chased it for four or five jumps around the page and tapped away three different layers of shite.

Did anyone here used to make the old gamefaqs guides? I always wondered what the people that did were like, so much effort and depth in many cases.

Much prefer those to videos.
I wrote one for playing as Heihachi in Tekken 3/Tekken Tag Tournament back when TTT was new. It ended up being interestingly timed as it was written just as the global Tekken community was moving from figuring out the basics of the game to properly understanding it (and before the Korean Tekken community turned up at a championship and stomped everyone and turned that understanding inside out), so it ended up being a guide for getting from beginner to a decent standard and not much further.

It took weeks of writing and revising just to get to the stage of covering that though. It's kind of amazing that nowadays it's far easier to throw an hour of video on the internet.

(There is a ridiculously long tail on this type of guide by the way. The one I wrote is still getting viewed every few days. I imagine the bigger ones for RPGs are probably still racking up hundreds of daily views).

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
Yeah, because a lot of people aren't making tightly edited, curated walkthroughs. They're recording the first time they play through a game and then quickly uploading it as a walkthough (because they know people search for that) so they can be the first to have them uploaded then all of those get pushed to the top of search engines.

It's just 'content'. Basically Let's Plays rebranding as walkthroughs.

this. let's plays & walkthroughs are 2 different things...

spiel

Oct 28, 2017
Yessss it's so frustrating wading through these videos to find decent game guides. Especially for adventure games or puzzle games where you just need a nudge towards the correct solution. I used to play tons of point-n-click Flash games from places like Jay Is Games, and the community would submit lovely spoiler-free walkthroughs for each game. It's even better if the hint system is built into the game, like what The Inner World and Hypnospace Outlaw did.

warcrow

Oct 30, 2017
Totally!!

It's one of the (many) reasons I started making guides/walkthroughs on YT. I try to focus on simple to understand (using visual aids), fun in brevity, and well thought out solutions. I don't always get it right, but I try hard to accomplish that in every video I make. Heck, long intros are a pain to watch, so I worked on an intro that's <6 seconds (and uses my 6 yr old daughter because she wanted to join in!).

I get comments from folks about how direct and to-the-point my guides are, and this thread further solidifies that I'm doing the right thing. I'm just a small fry, but I'm having such a blast doing all this--I love it.

I'm not sure if it's appropriate for me to link an example here, but the link it in my profile. I'm curious what you folks think?

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Those are annoying.

Another thing I hate is when I'm on my couch with my phone, and I want to look up something real quick, and all the results are from these bloated-ass pages full of ads. Like, I can't find the 4th key in area X, been searching for too long and get fed up, so I look up "<Game Title> 4th key <area name>". First few results are all, in big font of course so I need to scroll on my phone, and of course all the ads freeze up the browser, etc:

<Game Title> is a video game by <developer> published by <publisher> in <year>

[ AD ]

<Game Title> has lots of areas and items that are difficult to find. In this guide, we we will tell you where to find all the keys you need to get through the game. Blah blah blah more text you don't need just so you need to scroll even more to get the info you need.

[ AD ]

Keys in Area X

Key #1:

Long unhelpful text that you gotta scroll through
<image that's somehow too blurry yet also too large for mobile>

Check out our video guide to see how to obtain Key #1:

<Video Embed Taking Up the Full Screen>

[ AD ]

(repeat)

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio, USA
Yep, a walk through is not a play through.

A similar pet peeve of mine is back when gamefaqs text files were some of the best walkthroughs we had, you'd find the perfect one for a game that you're getting stuck on. Well organised, every section well written with clear instructions etc... and then you'd get to the part you're stuck on and the guide would say 'kill the 10 guys in this room/solve the puzzle/kill the boss (it's easy)' and offer absolutely no idea on how to do that. And it would only ever be that one part of the guide, the rest of it would be fantastic.

Oh god yeah, I completely forgot about that being a thing, but it's so annoying.

The term walkthrough seems to have changed. You need to search for guides instead. I found if you use walkthrough, it's basically a LP or a really bad "guide". I've seen these bad videos for some puzzles in games where they didn't have the solution immediately. You had to watch them them do trial and error and I bailed.

Text guide quality has gone down the drain. Looked up recent ones on big sites like IGN and GameFAQs and so many errors and misinformation.

Yup, this is what I was trying to describe. Like, I purposely searched for your video to see the solution, I don't need your 10 failed attempts first.

Why would anyone watch a full walkthrough video? Just type the keyword of the section you're having problem with, there'll be ton of shorter clips on how to tackle it.

The problem is, even when I do that I still end up with 10 minute videos, where 5 minutes of it is their failed attempts at trial and error.

edgefusion

Oct 27, 2017
Most of the time I'm looking for the location of something where a simple jpeg of a map with a circle will suffice, but Googling produces 50 pages of 10:01 videos where the first 4 minutes are, "hey what's up my little gloinksters, today..." etc. It's so frustrating. I miss the pre-YouTube days where information wasn't drowned out by a million wannabe influencers.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
That's why I just stick to FAQs, if possible. Not interested in watching some random person narrate and give their random commentary etc.

Deleted member 25870

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Ok I saw this thread awhile back and I thought the term misuse was overblown by the OP, but this seems to be an actual thing and fairly recent. I'm seeing playthrough videos mislabeled as walkthroughs as a general practice now and it's maddening. When did we lose the proper definition of the term?

Similar to how lag is commonly misused for slowdown or shooter has been repurposed from SHMUPS to reference first person shooters, walkthrough seems to now mean a playthrough; often the first time playing a game. What the hell!?