• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm playing the first Diablo right now for the first time in a decade; and it plays kinda like a top down survival horror game. There's tons of resource management, roughly a single dungeon that connects with one another in a very satisficing thematic way, with short cuts to previous areas, positioning is super important, players are far less powerful and flashy then the other titles, and it's all permeated with a thick atmosphere of unmatched dread. It's a dungeons delver, but with a huge amount of horror themes, in the gameplay and the atmosphere.
16thIm.gif

bs6GrC.gif

QT5ZP6MVcJwOLMBT9DpPfgcGXuomEGpj849L2sHXR4OjFt7Jh-MM00s7J1PZKLtaiai8yDBY79yYwXqxqOVjJkxM1f4U-0LTF_73gFMMGHDoQEr4wDGgqg

In contrast Diablo 2 kinda squashed that focused horror; levels are not interlocked with each other thematically, there's tons of dungeons and different areas instead of a single haunted place, and a single town, filled with tons of character, positioning is far less important, abilities are way more over the top, and the management aspect of the resources is more limited. I still think it's fantastic slasher, but it's far removed from the previous game; even more then Diablo 3 compared to 2.

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I didn't mind it, but that's definitely true. And then Diablo 3 takes it further where you're basically a demigod wreaking havoc wherever you go.

Still love 'em.

Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017
I definitely think Diablo was a much more focused experience. I don't inherently like the gameplay style of Diablo games, but I enjoyed Diablo enough to complete the game.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think it feels like a natural progression that retains a lot of the atmosphere and gamefeel you're talking about, even if the structure and progression of the experience are ultimately very different.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I certainly had something to it the other 2 don't have, can't really say I miss it though.

Yatahaze

Jun 17, 2018
Yep been watching my buddy play through it recently and it has crazy good atmosphere. Genuinely scary at times. Provides a decent challenge and had a satisfying difficulty curve. Diablo 2 is one of my favorite games of all time but diablo 1 has a starkly different feel but it's so good at what it does!

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
I wasn't disappointed because Diablo II was a true classic, but I always wished they did another original Diablo style game. So yes, I am disappointed but not for the same reasons as you.

cgatto

Feb 9, 2018
Canada
I LOVE the original Diablo. Totally agree woth you. I think I like II better, but my god Diablo felt really special when I was young.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I could never get into Diablo 3 because it misses that thick atmosphere for me. Diablo 2's second and third acts were good though.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It's a bit janky, but I enjoyed Silent Hill: Book of Memories on the Vita. It's very much of that old-school Diablo roguelike meets Survival Horror vibe.

dom

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Diablo is just too slow. Love the cracked out speed of the later games.

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017
Yes!

I prefer Diablo 1. The sequels focused too much on loot, grind and items containing a long list of bonus. It made the game boring to me.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Diablo was a really cool game. Diablo 2 was very different but... so much better. I really enjoyed the sequels a lot more. D2 blew me away when it came out. I don't mourn what was lost, but I'm glad the original is what it was.

Novocaine

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah Diablo was awesome. But for me once D2 was out it was hard to go back to. Same with 3 going back to 2.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Gameplay-wise Diablo was definitely much more directly in the vein of the ASCII roguelikes that inspired it, particularly the Moria/Angband family.

I get why they went big with Diablo 2 and 3 though. Diablo did well for its time but "crawl through another single location" probably wasn't a long-term recipe for success. Even contemporary ASCII roguelikes have gotten bored with that formula and gone with much grander scopes.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
Diablo 1 has a special place in my heart, I loved the atmosphere, but I can't deny Diablo 2 was a massive improvement in pretty much every way. There is a reason they made a remake of 2 and not 1.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
I played Diablo on PS1 at the time, and yes, the oppressing survival horro vibe still resonate with me today.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I do prefer Diablo's smaller scope and more traditional feel.

It really feels like it's some dude against the forces of hell, whereas later Diablo titles make you feel like you're more prepared from the get-go.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I wrote this in the DIIR announcement thread:
Diablo 1 is still the unrivaled pinnacle of this series for me because I don't care about online and all that jazz. Diablo 1 was Dark Souls before Dark Souls. You go down into this rotten cathedral and descend into literal hell and you break like a twig and you only have what you pick up and stuff breaks on you and you can't see where the enemy that kills you a second later will came from. All wrapped in that incredible soundscape with those ominous tomes you find narrated with great VO. The D1 Anniversary Event in D3 was so disappointing because it nailed none of this. Nobody ever nailed it like this again. Diablo 2 went big and killed a lot of that vibe in that move. It's amazing in its own right, just like you can make arguments for D3 with its pure action chaos multiplayer fun loop.

I absolutely adore Diablo 1 (incl. Hellfire) and I'm fully with OP. Along with SimCity 3000, this was my first PC game on the first proper PC I built and owned.

Diablo 1 is the fresh and raw debut album that is always overlooked for the commercial mega smash hit second album that has nothing but hit singles on it, basically.

edit: also, yes, absolutely that Alien/Aliens analogy.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Man now I want to play Diablo, but it looks like it's not currently available for MacOS.

I have a PC, but it's pretty much a controller-only operated device, so Diablo would be practically unplayable on it.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man now I want to play Diablo, but it looks like it's not currently available for MacOS.

I have a PC, but it's pretty much a controller-only operated device, so Diablo would be practically unplayable on it.

DIABLO

Shareware version available to play in browser, full version if you have the .mpq file from the full game.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
D3 is still fun, it is just a different game. Couch co-op on console is fantastic. Launch 100% sucked.

Not sure there is any ARPG that has those elements, OP.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
The only thing I'd say is an issue with the original Diablo 1 is there was no specific skills for the Melee classes. It was all Magic Books, D2 diversified this a bit with the addition of Skill Trees on a per character basis, so it wasn't narrowed down to pumping INT into your Warrior or Rogue just for the bare minimum to do Chain Lightning or Novas.

D2 does share some of the atmosphere as well, especially in the First and Fourth Acts. The Monastery and Jail sections are similar to the first 5 floors of the Cathedral in D1 and the Catacombs are very much like some of the cavernous areas such as The Den of Evil. Also D1's Hell is fairly apt for the same environments shown in D2's Hell as well.

Another good example is the Countess Tower as well which feels very cramped giving the same claustrophobic and morbid environments you experience in the mid sections of the Cathedral underground.

It's just the more open environments like the plains in Act 1 and most of Act 3 with the Jungle don't give the same environments of gothic horror. Still the art direction and environmental design for D1 and D2 are pretty much spot on. Only very few amount of dungeons in D3 get remotely close to it, and that is mainly aping on Leoric's Crypt which is a retread of what many players already experienced in D1.

ray_caster

Nov 7, 2017
Even though Diablo 2 is the better game the original's atmosphere is unparalleled. Oppressive tone, a story that draws more heavily on Christian mythology, and a setting that feels much more intimate and grounded all build towards a much more horror-leaning experience than its successors.

The intro to the game perfectly encapsulates this:

Last edited:

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I mostly played the first game in MP mode where death means you drop everything and respawn in town rather than having to reload a save. So Diablo 2 seemed like a natural progression.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely. I'm sure part of it is that I was that much younger when playing Diablo 1, but there's no doubting that Diablo 1 is a legitimately scary game. Diablo 2 is obviously stellar, and still scary, but it's a lot more like a cool, action-ey kind of scary vs Diablo 1's oppressive religious/demonic terror.

It's difficult to describe accurately but the poster who said it's like the movie Alien vs the movie Aliens was really spot on.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Kinda but it's hard to be disappointed when Diablo 2 turned out to be one of the all time great games. I just wish we would get a Diablo 1 remaster already. It feels like the game has been left behind by blizzard.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Yea I'm not sure disappointed is what I am, but I do love Diablo 1, it's my favorite Diablo game. But I also love ARPGs, and Diablo 2 basically sprouted a great blueprint for the genre I love.

Clipo

Jul 13, 2020
Gameplay-wise Diablo was definitely much more directly in the vein of the ASCII roguelikes that inspired it, particularly the Moria/Angband family.

I get why they went big with Diablo 2 and 3 though. Diablo did well for its time but "crawl through another single location" probably wasn't a long-term recipe for success. Even contemporary ASCII roguelikes have gotten bored with that formula and gone with much grander scopes.
Also, Diablo is a turn based game at the core that was basically animated to realtime with fluid turns of around 1 second of length.

Always is worth it to watch this GDC talk.

Typho

Dec 2, 2017
Agreed, I remember being initially disappointed with 2 because it was so much different. But then slowly being won over until it also became one of my favorite games.

The journey of Diablo 1 was just incredible, and I remember being absolutely stunned by the ending. Just great execution end-to-end.

trimin

Oct 25, 2017
Man I need to go back and play Diablo 1 for real. I only played the demo at a neighbor's house and I was too little to fully appreciate it. It did draw me in with its atmosphere however. If anything, my experience with the demo of the first game and its atmosphere made me instantly excited when I saw the box for Diablo 2. D2 became my number 2 game of all time (second only to Unreal Tournament).