• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
People expect 4K 120 fps with PS5 and Xbox 4? Really? How about 1080p with best possible graphics and 60 fps instead of 4K with PS4 Level graphics and 30 fps.

XxLeonV

Nov 8, 2017
Chilling with the C7 for a hot minute. VRR looks cool but I don't think it's worth me upgrading my OLED.

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017
Really want a monitor with a HDMI 2.1 input for VRR 4k on next gen consoles. Plus DisplayPort for 120hz FreeSync on PC.

I was kinda hoping they'd be out by now.

Full Recovery

Needs a sandwich
Oct 26, 2017
USA
Right now I'm considering the new LG CX-48, but I've never owned an OLED before and I'm concerned about burn in. I tend to play games sometimes 8+ hours a day on the weekend. Usually it's just one game, and I have a strong feeling that the HUD elements will burn in. What's the best LED tv out there 48-55" with 2.1 4k freesync 120hz that wouldn't burn in?

Mr_Mondee

Nov 23, 2017
I have been thinking about selling my LG B8 and buy either a B9 or C9, however I am finding it hard to justify it. VRR will only work from 40-120hz and I firmly believe games will be running natively at 4K 30fps with some doing 60fps so it will only be useful in some situations. Chroma 4:4:4 HDR is the other advantage but I don't think it's that massive a difference to be worth an upgrade.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I bought a TCL 6-Series 2019. I'm not really concerned about the lack of HDMI 2.1. It's already got Auto Low Latency ("Auto Game Mode"), and it's supposed to get updated to support VRR (up to 60fps) and eARC. Those are the main benefits anyway. I can't afford a TV that has all that stuff AND 120hz. This TV cost me $467 plus tax and I couldn't see myself spending over $600 on a TV, so I think it's the best I'll be able to do for awhile for the price I paid.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame that VRR for most TVs is just 48-60, making it only useful for 60fps games with some issues. Makes it useless for most unlocked frame rate games that spend a lot of time in the 40s and totally useless for 30fps games.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I need a new TV. I've got an old 2009 plasma that isn't even 1080p. I'd like to get a new one, but I don't know what I want to get. I need a mid-level TV. I don't have the money to spend thousands on one. $500-$600 would be my price range for a new one.

BarcaTheGreat

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It was confirmed in recent days that Sony 950H series will not have HDMI 2.1. The cheaper 900H series will.. What a colossal fuck up Sony.. I had planned to get 950G successor with my PS5 which will have HDMI 2.1 yet Sony themselves are not including it in their mid-highend TVs ... booo

Oct 26, 2017
Not specifically for the PS5/XB2. More so because I'll need a new TV in general when I graduate and start working as I won't be taking much with me when I move on out

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just bought a LG OLED 65" E9 because of HDMI 2.1. Been waiting for TVs with this spec for years now and it's my first 4K TV.

Agent_J

Oct 30, 2017
I would like to. I bought my TV back in 2009 when I bought a PS3 slim. It would be nice to have 4K HDR. Definitely going OLED.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish I could buy a hdmi 2.1 monitor.

I have zero faith in Sony supporting freesync over hdmi 2.0

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
I wasn't but then my 65" LG Oled E6 developed a flaw. The insurance company's repairshop picked it up today to take a look at it. A couple of hours later they told me it couldn't be fixed.

I should get around 24,000kr from the insurance. A new 65" LG Oled C9 costs around 14,000kr these days.

...guess I am getting a new tv with VRR, HDMI2.1 and all the trimmings as well as a decent soundbar :-D

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I've always been in the camp of "Don't replace tech until necessary" so I'll be cranking along with my 2015 1080p set until it up and dies on me.

There's a weird "smudge" on the panel that you can see when there's solid colors on screen, but it's not enough for me to consider it in poor shape.

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, I want to upgrade from my cheap $400 4K TV I bought a couple of years ago anyway so this is a good opportunity.

Kevinception

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2020
I bought an LG C9 last year cause of HDR/dolby vision/hdmi 2.1/VRR.

But mostly because of the gsync support for my PC gaming, nothing to do with consoles

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I've got 2 decently sized (55," 65") 4K HDR TVs, so I think I'm good for quite some time.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
I have several problems with buying a new TV this year:

4K is difficult to see the difference unless you get a very large TV and/or sit close to it.

New console plus extra controllers and games adds up

My 1080p 55" is perfectly good

Still not a lot of 4K content

To me the sweet spot will be 80"+ under $2000 with all modern performance features. I think we're a few years away from that and by then TV will have caught up on the content side. Still, the jump doesnt feel as substantial as SD to HD.

Bgamer90

Oct 27, 2017
I have a 65" Sony X900E. Solid TV. Works great with my Xbox One X and PS4 Pro.

I do want to upgrade though. A proper upgrade would be a 77" LG OLED. It's over $4,000 though which is a lot—especially during a year in which I plan to buy a lot of tech. I'm therefore going to hold off on getting a new TV until probably late 2021.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
I wasn't but then my 65" LG Oled E6 developed a flaw. The insurance company's repairshop picked it up today to take a look at it. A couple of hours later they told me it couldn't be fixed.

I should get around 24,000kr from the insurance. A new 65" LG Oled C9 costs around 14,000kr these days.

...guess I am getting a new tv with VRR, HDMI2.1 and all the trimmings as well as a decent soundbar :-D
Son of a

I have a 70" 4k Vizio M-series from 2017 . I love the TV but the backlight is starting to go on one side. My warranty is good until 2022 from Costco so hoping that it lasts the rest of this year and craps out next fall so I can get me a nice 75" plus. It'll be a Vizio again probably and for sure from Costco since they have the best warranty and return policy, in Ontario anyway.

I do want a new TV that handles HDR better so knowing me I'll probably push it as soon as the new consoles are out just to try to get it to fail sooner.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Nope still rocking my B7. I'll wait until the consoles are out and we actually get some some real world testing done. On paper it sounds great, but I want to see the benefits in action on the inevitable HDTVTEST & DF vids.

LoveAndBeer

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lexington, KY
I am VERY happy with my current Vizio P75 *BUT* am going to be sorely tempted to pick up a new TV and Receiver to go with the console twins this fall. Depends how much I hear 2.1 and VRR really bring to the table and if I find a reasonable deal on a TV I like over Christmas.

Pleasant!

Nov 1, 2017
Didn't plan on rushing out to pick up a hdmi 2.1 w/vrr tv any time soon, but we just moved and the movers cracked my 2016 samsung 4k. So the LG E9 arrived a few days ago and love it so far; played some Jedi Fallen Order on xbox one x, and Uncharted Lost Legacy on ps4 and it just looks so much better than my already great prior tv. Glad to know it should have any/most bells and whistles that the next gen consoles will utilize.

My wife loathes any soundbars or speaker setups in the main living room so the front facing speaker on the E9 is actually useful and not too bad in my usage case.