• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Waiting with my KS as well, but I'm going to need the rest of you guys to go ahead and start buying 8ks so the 4k process drop faster in time for me to upgrade in two years or so.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I'm waiting for all these features to eventually hit the <=500 bucks mark. I do most of my gaming on my PC monitor and with how little I use my TV in general I'm still fine with my 1080p Samsung from 2012.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I want to, but probably not.
  • I don't believe in wasting the perfectly good 1080p TV I bought maybe 5 years ago. Financially, or from an environmental perpective. I'll own this TV at least a decade unless a friend/relative needs a TV and I give to them and then upgrade.
  • If there is a resolution/performance toggle in games I will be ticking performance, so I might be seeing something a less than 4K either way.
  • I think resolution is the least important part of graphical impact. Like, I wasn't impressed with Order 1886's graphics because of the resolution. It's all about the animation, lighting, effects, shaders, budget. Similarly Escape from Tarkov or something looks like janky/gamey crap even if I run it at 8K. Sure, 1080p isn't ideal, and some UI/text heavy games would benefit from 4k, but it is what it is.
  • Might not be a bad idea to let VRR and 2.1 percolate a little rather than buying 1st gen. implementations, especially when combined with things like eARC soon.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017
I haven't seen VRR myself yet, but don't get the feeling that it will be anywhere near as impactful to me as OLED and HDR were coming from my 2009 42" Philips LCD set.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Well VRR is a game changer. devs who can't target 60 FPS for their next-gen game, cna easily target 45 FPS and to maintain that ratio you need VRR and HDMI 2.1.
45 FPS must be the new 30 FPS of next-gen if 60 FPS is not doable in all cases. 45 FPS is really an amazing sweet spot.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
I bought a new TV earlier this year. HDMI 2.0, but includes Freesync over HDMI and offers a game mode. No idea if it will manage 120FPS, I expect not, but I won't be upgrading any time soon, that's for sure.

AverageFisk

Oct 30, 2017
I'll be making the jump from a 1080 TV so I want to be blown away.

I have very limited knowledge of the tech in TV's, what set provides the best value and has VRR/HDR?

Thinking about LG C9 but it's kinda expensive.

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017
I got a 55" C9 during the last Black Friday.
First 4K TV. Upgraded from a 42" 1080p.

Now I need the 30xx series to upgrade my 1070.

Cronus

Oct 31, 2017
I'm very happy with my Panasonic FZ800 OLED for now, so I'm not going to upgrade for a few years. I opted for an in-store "idiot insurance" with it too, which basically covers everything, including accidents. So I'll probably have an accident in a few years and get it replaced with a brand new Panasonic OLED, hopefully with VRR, 2.1., and all the other bells and whistles.

CollectedDust

Oct 27, 2017
Indiana
I primarily game using a projector, and I haven't seen VRR/HDMI 2.1 implemented there yet. I'd probably consider purchasing a laser projector with these features to replace my Sony 675es if something like that exists down the road.

I recently purchased a Sony 75x950G, which is a newer set without VRR. I'll likely keep this one for a while, because I won't be using it for games (primarily just watch sports/tv shows).

Neon Octopus

Nov 21, 2017
I'll be making the jump from a 1080 TV so I want to be blown away.

I have very limited knowledge of the tech in TV's, what set provides the best value and has VRR/HDR?

Thinking about LG C9 but it's kinda expensive.

The c9 is the best 2019 option but more will have hdmi 2.1 and vrr in 2020. TCLs tend to be the best value

janoGX

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Chile
I'm okay playing games on a 32" 1080p TV. I personally don't care about 4K for now, so yeah, I'll keep playing PS5/XSX on 1080p for the time being.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'm only interested in upgrading again if major improvements are made in terms of motion clarity. That's the one thing still missing.

I'm okay playing games on a 32" 1080p TV. I personally don't care about 4K for now, so yeah, I'll keep playing PS5/XSX on 1080p for the time being.
I keep seeing this but it's not 4K that makes the best modern TVs great. Resolution isn't a huge deal. It's everything else. A 32" 1080p LCD is likely to be using lower quality display technology so you'd see massive boosts across the board. Going from that to OLED is like night and day.

janoGX

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Chile
I keep seeing this but it's not 4K that makes the best modern TVs great. Resolution isn't a huge deal. It's everything else. A 32" 1080p LCD is likely to be using lower quality display technology so you'd see massive boosts across the board. Going from that to OLED is like night and day.

The thing is, it's personal preference. I don't like a screen smaller or higher than 32" for my gaming, I played on a 28" 4K Samsung monitor but even a 4" difference made me not like it, same for 42+ on 4K, I just don't feel it, even with the OLED improvements. 32" just feels right for me.

GhostofWar

Apr 5, 2019
I'm only interested in upgrading again if major improvements are made in terms of motion clarity. That's the one thing still missing.

This is why it's so hard to move on from my 240hz 1080p tn monitor, ive got a 1440p 144hz ips aswell. Colours are great and all but being able to see in fast motion is just a better experience for me, and I can't find a good crt anymore (used to have one for my emulator box but it died a while ago).

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
The thing is, it's personal preference. I don't like a screen smaller or higher than 32" for my gaming, I played on a 28" 4K Samsung monitor but even a 4" difference made me not like it, same for 42+ on 4K, I just don't feel it, even with the OLED improvements. 32" just feels right for me.
In that case? You should be looking at a high-end CRT maybe. Would blow away that LCD for sure.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
I am in the mood for a new tv, can someone explain what are the benefits of hdmi 2.1 and vrr and other stuff.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I hope the smaller CX will cost a reasonable price by the end of the year, but I am not getting a PS5 that early. I have a PS4 Pro though, so I would benefit from Streaming media and some 4K HDR gaming either way.

Vandal Deca

Oct 21, 2018
Has anyone seen if TCL is launching a set with HDMI 2.1 and VRR this year? I really like the QLED 6 series but am holding out for those features.

Relly

Banned
Oct 19, 2019
While you guys get your oled tv, il just get the tcl vidrian. Im not getting it for the 8k but for the 5k dimming zones and its hdmi 2.1. Also comes with the thx game mode whatever that means.

I cant be arsed to babysit my oled specially when I'm hooking my pc on it as well.

Deleted member 8674

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes I'll most likely upgrade from my Samsung 48" Full HD smart tv when PS5 release.

I don't know where to go from here in term of size so what do people recommend best for 4K? It's a small 4x4 living room.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio

I agree on 4K not being the be all, end all. I bought a TCL 4K TV, and while HDR looked great, it actually looked really blurry in motion compared to my almost 10 year old Panasonic Plasma. Because of this, I actually felt like the Plasma looked sharper overall, just because it didn't lose so much detail in motion.
Really been wanting to get Sony 950 series... Anyone know if upcoming 950G (looking at 55") will have 2.1?
The 950H has no 2.1 features. The 900H will have some 2.1 features, but only 4K 120FPS has been confirmed, AFAIK. It may not even have VRR, etc. and it has a worse processor than the 950H as well, unfortunately.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I agree on 4K not being the be all, end all. I bought a TCL 4K TV, and while HDR looked great, it actually looked really blurry in motion compared to my almost 10 year old Panasonic Plasma. Because of this, I actually felt like the Plasma looked sharper overall, just because it didn't lose so much detail in motion.
Absolutely.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I am in the mood for a new tv, can someone explain what are the benefits of hdmi 2.1 and vrr and other stuff.
HDMI 2.1 allows for games to played at 4K at 120 FPS in HDR. There are other benefits, but that is the big one. Variable Refresh Rate is a separate thing, but a form of it is included within the 2.1 spec. It allows the TV to match it's refresh rate to the framerate of the game you are playing, which means smoother motion, and less lag. Both are great features for gaming.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
it's actually an expensive year for me. i'm getting a new TV, but i means i need a new AV receiver since mine is old, plus i'll be getting the PS5.

BarcaTheGreat

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

The 950H has no 2.1 features. The 900H will have some 2.1 features, but only 4K 120FPS has been confirmed, AFAIK. It may not even have VRR, etc. and it has a worse processor than the 950H as well, unfortunately.
Yes, i meant H, sorry about that. Shit.. Been really looking forward to that tv... Has it been confirmed no 2.1? I looked at the website and Sony hasn't released specs yet

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
yup totally agree with this, i recently replaced my 2013 sony 1080p led tv with a one of the new qled tv's and the difference in PQ even there is amazing. I even had to adjust the backlight since is was basically torching my eyes at max xD

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I know this is a thing on monitors, but it works like that on TVs too for sure?
LFC is handled by the output device, not the display.
In theory, you could probably support LFC on the display side of things if you have a 120Hz panel but can only take a 60Hz input, however I don't think that's likely to happen - since most TVs that support VRR will support 120 Hz inputs.

ShaDowDaNca

Nov 1, 2017

A link saying the 950H don't have HDMI 2.1?

All I saw was them saying a update was coming to the 900H nothing about the 950H not having/getting it.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Yes, i meant H, sorry about that. Shit.. Been really looking forward to that tv... Has it been confirmed no 2.1? I looked at the website and Sony hasn't released specs yet
A link saying the 950H don't have HDMI 2.1?

All I saw was them saying a update was coming to the 900H nothing about the 950H not having/getting it.
Nothing from Sony, but various sites have reported on it: https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1578348000

Learned about it from the official TV thread here. I was told it is likely due to a limitation with the Ultimate processor, but regardless it doesn't sound like the 950H actually has HDMI 2.1 ports. Also, AFAIK, the only 2.1 feature confirmed for the 900H is 4K @ 120 FPS. No actual mention of VRR that I saw. Very strange.

ShaDowDaNca

Nov 1, 2017
Nothing from Sony, but various sites have reported on it: https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1578348000

Learned about it from the official TV thread here. I was told it is likely due to a limitation with the Ultimate processor, but regardless it doesn't sound like the 950H actually has HDMI 2.1 ports. Also, AFAIK, the only 2.1 feature confirmed for the 900H is 4K @ 120 FPS. No actual mention of VRR that I saw. Very strange.
Yeah I read that as well but that's not official and makes zero sense so hopefully Sony addresses this.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Out of all announced TVs, what's the current leaders in 48-50" hdmi 2.1 4K120 VRR NON-OLED space?

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
Looking at the LG CX 48 OLED. Going to spend this year on upgrades and additions to my set up. Next year will be the consoles and next video card.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone seen if TCL is launching a set with HDMI 2.1 and VRR this year? I really like the QLED 6 series but am holding out for those features.
TCL is going to apply a firmware update in spring to the 2019 6-Series tvs to add HDMI 2.1 and VRR to them. Of course, VRR will only go to 60hz, but still pretty cool.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Really like the sound of fast media switching and other features for gaming.