• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018
I have a 2016 Vizio P-series 4k tv. I think I may upgrade to one of LG's OLED TVs, maybe their 48" variant.

I'm curious about microLED sets, though.

IamPeacock

Feb 9, 2018
Belgium
I've wanted an OLED for a few years now and this year will be the year I get one.
PS5 releasing in the same year is a major bonus for me.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing VRR requires that the home theater box you're using has HDMI 2.1 output/input or will it even work with a set up like that in the first place?

KingPat

Apr 29, 2019
California
If I have enough money later this year after paying off my credit cards(Christmas presents/49er tickets), finish paying off my car(June), and building my new PC with hopefully a 3080ti(whenever the fuck it comes out), saving up for multiple new consoles later this year, and oh yeah more games. Then I will definitely look into getting a tv to get the most outta of both the new new consoles and a new PC.

Monsterqken

Dec 26, 2019
Yeah but I feel bad since my current tv is still working fine. I normally have a rule that things have to break beyond repair.
It turns 7 this year so hopefully it explodes or something.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing VRR requires that the home theater box you're using has HDMI 2.1 output/input or will it even work with a set up like that in the first place?

Or go direct to the TV with the console and then use arc to send the audio down to the receiver. Little bit more messing about with remotes for switching inputs but not too bad

I haven't seen any receivers announced yet with HDMI2.1

I only updated last year to a 4K/HDR compatible receiver so I'll have to go direct to my TV for a while I think

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
i'll be buying a new TV for next gen yes but i don't care if it has 2.1/VRR. the VRR isn't really needed since most games will be playing at just 30fps. if 60fps was standard and there were a lot of games that could do <144hz then maybe i'd be interested. other than that the only real benefits is improved HDR support or playing at 4K with at least 60hz.

i'm more excited for 2.1 on my PC. i'll probably buy a new gpu/monitor for that.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
i'll be buying a new TV for next gen yes but i don't care if it has 2.1/VRR. the VRR isn't really needed since most games will be playing at just 30fps. if 60fps was standard and there were a lot of games that could do <144hz then maybe i'd be interested. other than that the only real benefits is improved HDR support or playing at 4K with at least 60hz.

i'm more excited for 2.1 on my PC. i'll probably buy a new gpu/monitor for that.

When you're shortlisting it's worth at least bearing it in mind. For consoles I don't expect VRR to be like 60-144Hz but more like 40-60Hz. Think of mid gen refreshes ps pro and x1x. They already often have performance mode options that unlock the frame rate. Often not hitting 60 often enough and therefore dropping frames. VRR would really help in those situations and with the more powerful CPUs coming along that might be an even More common situation.

I bought a TV with VRR but my guess is I'll usually pick 'graphics' mode if it's a solidly capped 30fps

DisturbedSwan

Oct 25, 2017
Hampshire, UK.
I don't think so. Bought a new 4K LED Hisense TV when I moved into my new Flat in April and I'm still paying that off every month.

Once that's been paid off in another 2 or so years I'll probably buy another but not before then.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah. I don't really give a fuck about high refresh rates and I doubt many games will support it anyway.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
People say in the laptop thread it's not noticeable at all:

So maybe it's there but you just can't see it any more? That's as good as gone imo, but maybe on a larger TV it would be less forgiving than a smaller laptop display.
They're probably playing in Borderless mode and don't realize that means they have V-Sync on, even if the in-game option is disabled.

Yeah, but the developer still has to be willing/able to let the game run uncapped right? I mean to get enough value out it to justify a new TV, for me anyway.
Even if the developer implements a 30/60 FPS frame rate limit, few games hit their target frame rate consistently. And you should still get the latency improvements.

You connect directly to the display and use eARC to send audio to the receiver—which is how HDMI audio should have been implemented from the very beginning.

Paertan

Oct 28, 2017
Well I will be getting a HDMI 2.1 TV. But I want a AVR with HDMI 2.1 support which was not announced at CES this year. I also want a GPU with HDMI 2.1 support. So maybe in 2021 I will get a HDMI 2.1. I already bought a 4K TCL less than a year ago.

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
no, i just bought a q70r this year, it already has VBR and ALLM. Very happy with it(upgraded from a 2011 sony 1080p display). But somehow i doubt devs will actually use VBR. I mean you rarely see games hit 40fps on console anyway bc most developers optimise for 30fps or 60fps. And i doubt thats gonna change.

dm101

Nov 13, 2018
I'll most likely stick with my 65" 4k samsung. It's a good tv, but who knows, maybe I'll upgrade.

Wetalo

Feb 9, 2018
I'm still using a 2007 1080i tv with my PS4 Pro... Yeah I'm thinking maybe I'll upgrade when the nicer sets /features come out and are more affordable. Investing in a 4k/VRR TV whenever I get a next gen console might be worthwhile.

Mr.Vic20

Oct 31, 2017
Yup! In anticipation of HDMI2.1 out put devices hitting the street, I purchased a 65" LG C9. Lovely TV.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
Not at all. Just got last year a new tv with 4K and HDR. A good one for me, so that new feature is nothing that will make me change again anytime soon... :P

huH1678

Oct 30, 2017
Waiting for the 48" CX or looking for a smaller size set. i can wait since ideally a 42" would be perfect for me. I need that new TV with the new gen tho.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I've got a B7 OLED so i won't be able to justify buying a new one for a good while yet

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
A question I could've Googled for, but I have a feeling I'll get a better answer here. Does VRR do anything else apart from eliminating screen tearing? Like, do games look smoother even with lower fps or something? Or just the screen tearing effect thing?

score01

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely. Still rocking a 55" 1080p Bravia. I will be going OLED BX or CX around this time next year (when we can get them a bit cheaper)

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
My Panasonic plasma is starting to do some strange green pixel image retention. If it holds out I might wait for the 2021 tvs but otherwise the 48" lg has me interested.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
A question I could've Googled for, but I have a feeling I'll get a better answer here. Does VRR do anything else apart from eliminating screen tearing? Like, do games look smoother even with lower fps or something? Or just the screen tearing effect thing?

It eliminates screen tearing, but also allows for more responsive input than when VSYNC is enabled.
It also means games can run at arbitrary framerates that aren't 15/30/60 FPS

The game could target 52fps should the developers choose, which of course is beneficial for games that fall short of those arbitrary numbers we are used to speaking about.

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been using my 1080p Panasonic plasma since 2010 and its still going strong. I was holding off until they announced TVs this year to either get a less pricey LG C9 or whatever the newer version is since I wanted to make sure that my TV was somewhat futureproof for the new consoles coming out. Looking forward to upgrading to 4K soon.

yeah this is exactly my position as well, same tv/year and all. I'm glad I waited.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
I'll get a new TV when it will have HDMI 2.1 ports with VRR and native 120Hz+ refresh - and when there will be at least one AVR with at least three HDMI 2.1 input ports. TVs are here already but where the fuck are all the HDMI 2.1 AVRs?

And tbh I'm shocked at some 2020 TVs (Sony's for example) being announced at CES without HDMI 2.1 inputs.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think I'm upgrading this year. It's time to join the OLED crew. I'm upgrading from a 1080p LED that I begrudgingly bought since OLED was not available yet after my Panasonic plasma suddenly died. It was the time after plasma stopped getting manufactured and before OLED was commercially viable for the mass market. I'm other words, I got screwed for a few years and have been biding my time ever since.

Can't wait to finally get one.

-Stranger-

Banned
Jan 1, 2018
No i only just bought a 55 inch Samsung RU8000 in August.
The HDR is little dim but it's a great tv for 4k gaming.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
I usually can only afford one toy each fall. So the pattern historically last few gens was Xbox at launch, TV the next year, second platform the following year etc.

So in my imagination, Xbox this fall, TV 2021, PS5 or gaming PC 2022 depending on how the gen evolves, probably mid-cycle upgrade Xbox 2024...

Though I HAVE been toying with a dual screen setup with a gaming TV on the bottom and a streaming/movies/satellite TV mounted on top. Then I'd need a new one.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
FYI the LG 65" C9 is going for $1580 right now.

LG 77" C9 is $2900.

This means the CX models will be this price in a year (if not less).

And the C9 models should be at bargain prices.

Imagine a 77" Oled with HDMI 2.1 for under $2k. That's my dream TV right there.

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Nah, perfectly happy with my C7. VRR sounds nice but I'm not going to upgrade for one feature.
This.
Right now my B7 already looks perfect with anything I'm throwing at it, both in SDR/HDR/Dolby Vision.
Plust most next-gen games will very likely still target Native 4K @ 60hz + HDR and/or Dolby Vision + Dolby Atmos.
No actual native 8K/60hz or 4K/120hz or 4:4:4 HDR need (yet).

VRR is the only thing that may be a worthy upgrade to me, but even there we are talking about a more light and direct way to fix screen tearing.
Tearing that is already almost entirely eradicated from console gaming (when games are actually locked to 30hz or 60hz), therefore with VRR less impactful compared to PC gaming.