• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aggie CMD

Dec 8, 2017
I feel like I bought into the OLED / HDR tech a little early with the LG B6 so I'm planning to hang back to year two or three of the new consoles to see how things shake out.

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. Spending $600+ on a new console and a game is already making me nervous. I don't need to throw another $1k+ on some fancy TV. Not yet anyway.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
Big year for me but I think I'll upgrade to a conventional 4K at time of writing

Oct 30, 2017
I'm probably jumping on a Vizio OLED next year with 4k 120hz VRR and good HDR. That's 90% of the way to a perfect monitor, missing ultrawide.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I'm just happy variable refresh rate is a thing that's actually happening and the consoles should take advantage of it. I'll wait for prices to drop in 2/3 years maybe and upgrade to a decent tv for my gaming needs. Especially once all the bugs are ironed out and we know what works and doesn't. I expect some stupid issues to crop up like how some initial 4K TVs couldn't do HDR for games because of high lag etc.

Total Cereal

Oct 28, 2017
I'm still on a 1080p TV, so I will definitely get a new TV for Series X. I'll be sure to get a newer one with HDMI 2.1, I don't want to miss out on anything.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Still hanging on to my B7 for now. I will wait until there's actual real time usage and testing from DF HDTVTEST, etc of HDMI 2.1 with the XSX and PS5, and see if VRR is the real deal in everyday usage, not just on paper. We won't know until the systems are out, and games can be tested on them. Really want to wait on another breakthrough with OLED panels, since the screens have pretty much been the same for the last couple of years. Sony not adding HDMI 2.1 to their 2020 OLEDs is also weird af, even though its in their LCDs. We'll see

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
This is my intention, but it will be a tough negotiation with my wife!
She is definitely off the school where she won't see any improvement with 4k,it's happy watching dvd's etc

Maybe_its_Cthulhu

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I plan on buying one of the 48" OLED TV's this year.

I'm leaning more towards LG's CX model - but may get Sony's if the price is right.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
I just bought an LG B8 last year, so probably not unless I find an amazing deal. HDMI 2.1, and more specifically, VRR isn't enough of a reason for me to upgrade. But when I do get another TV, it'll most likely be another OLED.

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
oh okay! sounds good. i can continue to enjoy my current tv with 4k up to 60fps. I highly doubt anything other than indie games will be 120fps on console. God of War 2 or Horizon 2 are still going to be 30fps at best. We can probably guess that the launch games wont be in 8k. Maybe some indie stuff.
2.1 also comes with higher bandwidth and eARC, which will allow it to pass higher bitrate audio, as well as some other things like mandatory a/v sync protocols.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
I've got VRR w/ my Q9FN already, so I'm good. Just hoping more games target 60fps next gen, and Sony supports VRR w/ PS5. eARC would be nice for audio, but I'm good w/ what I've got since I tend to use headphones more often anyways.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Yes. I was planning on a 55" Q80R, because the Q90R is only 65" in the USA. (Elsewhere, it's smaller)

But I wanted to wait for the HDMI 2.1 spec to allow better VRR at 4K. With the Q80R, VRR is limited to a low end of 48Hz at 4K because of HDMI 2.0. 1080p is way more flexible.

So I'm hoping to see that addressed, and if eARC support is fixed. But with Samsung's new soundbar integration with the TVs (They work together now), it's less of an immediate concern.

For reference, the new Samsung TVs are the Q80T and the Q90T, but no real details are online yet.

(I also would love for the Q80T to have OneCable, support)

Cathcart

Oct 29, 2017
Probably. I bought my 4K tv kinda early so it doesn't even support hdmi 2 or hdr. PC stuff looks pretty good on it though.

Ifrit

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah as soon as I read that G-Sync was coming to 2019 LG OLED TVs which also had HDMI 2.1, I knew it was time to upgrade, got it during a sale and I couldn't be happier about it.

1440p @120Hz G-Sync/VRR will be gaming bliss

Also my previous panel was a 720p LG TV that, after more than 10 years, still works like a champ, but it was time to upgrade.

Last edited:

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. I've got a two year old 4K tv that does great HDR and this'll be good for me for like another 10 years lol. Assuming it doesn't shit the bed.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
I'll be buying one cause of the fact I don't have a 4K panel in my house yet.
I've had the same midrange Samsung 1080p TV since 2012, so yeah I'm upgrading.
I am planning to if I can afford it.

I'm still rocking my 8000 series 1080p/240Hz 3D LED TV that was absolute balls 7 years ago. Well, 3D was a short lived fad, so I overspent on it, lol. Oh well, it's time to jump into 4k, so I'm looking to grab a Samsung Q70 QLED at income tax refund time finally!

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I could maybe get away with a new TV in 2021 but it ain't happening this year. I've already dedicated my multi-hundred dollar purchase to the PS5. I'll have to settle for 1080p for a while.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Yup. I waited until this new gen to jump into 4K. I want to see the pricing for the CX model. I have a 32 inch that I keep in my bedroom that I bought in college (so it was the perfect size for my undergrad dorm, but now my grad dorm is a lot bigger).

48 sounds like a nice size but I'm worried that I'll regret not going bigger. 65 sounds like it might be too large. So I'm eyeing the 55" CX.

Anyone remember what the C9 55" was priced at when it launched?

empyrean2k

Oct 27, 2017
Yup. Want to get. 65" and am leaning towards a c9 due to HDMI 2.1 but not sure if I may go Sony or Philips for better notion handling?

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
What does the new tech do? My 4K is a Sony about 2 years old now.
Higher refresh rates?

Akabeko

Oct 27, 2017
I have a Samsung Q80R as my gaming TV. It doesn't support all of the latest and greatest features, but I'm sure it'll be fine for the first few years of the PS5 generation. I might upgrade when PS5 Pro comes out...

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, my plasma will be a decade old then. Was planning this since 2017, it's nice to know not only is all the tech here finally and the TV future proof as I predicted then, they've also become affordable. A 65" OLED with VRR, HDMI 2.1, HFR, HDR, OLED was already sub $2k last holidays.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
What does the new tech do? My 4K is a Sony about 2 years old now.
Higher refresh rates?

It supports higher bandwidth data transmission and this means that HDMI can support high framerates at the same time as higher resolutions.

One of the big things is that the HDMI 2.1 format natively supports variable refresh rate (the generic non branded term for freesync, which is based on the same standards)

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Yup. Want to get. 65" and am leaning towards a c9 due to HDMI 2.1 but not sure if I may go Sony or Philips for better notion handling?

Motion handling won't affect games, as those features are typically disabled in game mode anyway. Sony is the one to go for if you want to improve your movie content, they are very good at that, but you'll lose the great gaming features that the LG sets have

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I currently have a OLED B7 but will be picking up a C9 or perhaps the newest version sometime later this year. The thing holding me back is that no receiver currently supports 2.1, not a huge issue with eARC but it would be nice.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I am getting a C9 within the next 2 weeks so, yes! I am only upgrading though because my wife is taking my current QLED and putting it in a different room so she is forcing me to buy a new one, which I thank her for. :)

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
My tv is from 2014 so yeah I need to upgrade anyway

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
I'm considering checking out these new tcl tvs but it's just more of a curiosity. My current tv is only three years old so I could probably sell it for some cash to help cover the cost.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I Might. I don't game on my TV ever these days because it doesn't support it. I've been on a gaming monitor with everything and the experience is just so much better.