• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My villagers might be dead by now, yes.
I even made them a nice lil' gothic graveyard.

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
I'm still expecting a big update for version 2.0. But, honestly, I'm getting back into this game now and I'm pretty disappointed in the way parts of the community are acting now compared to not even a year ago. I don't even look at replies to the the Animal Crossing Twitter account anymore.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I really wouldn't be surprised to see a more substantial update soon-ish (within the next 12 months). My theory was always that COVID screwed them up and they prioritized the Holidays. Since those have been done, they can focus on something bigger. Plus AC stuff wouldn't be announced super far in advance unless it's paid DLC or is adding new Amiibos, I imagine.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
100% agree with this. Instead of fleshing out the idea of your village being random, dynamic, and a true "life simulator", they opted to make it AC: Minecraft edition. All the focus went towards customization, and once people become satisfactory with the way their island looks, there's just nothing else that the game really offers.

Same here. It was very successful but the game went in the wrong direction for me.

任天堂ファン

Alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2020
100% agree with this. Instead of fleshing out the idea of your village being random, dynamic, and a true "life simulator", they opted to make it AC: Minecraft edition. All the focus went towards customization, and once people become satisfactory with the way their island looks, there's just nothing else that the game really offers.

This actually bothers me quite a bit with the villagers. They will never leave without your permission, you act like their guard or something. However, in past games I felt like it was the closest the game ever had to a sense of loss like losing a life in Mario or getting a Game Over screen. I also felt there was a powerful message, if you invested time into your friendship they will stay. If you stopped investing time, you'll drift apart and if you barely acknowledge them to begin with they will eventually be someone you briefly knew but never really got to know.

It was a good life lesson in that game. Now it doesn't exist. You can just scan in an amiibo, grab them and never worry about them again but previously you had to work to maintain a friendship.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think the thing is, it's not really a live service game, at least not in the sense we'd usually expect, it just happens to have seasonal events that are easy to implement quickly and large scale updates seem to have come to an end.

That said, it probably should be leaning into live service a lot more as it feels very natural to the game, I guess it's a matter of if Nintendo actually want to go hard on a game post launch and monetize it.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
AC games are only good for 1 year and then you shelve them. This one was no different in that regard. I got more than my monies' worth (100s of hours) from NH so I'm not mad or anything.