• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just watched Free Solo, awesome movie and definitely worth seeing.

Still trying to process what Alex actually accomplished but all things considered I gotta think it's one of the greatest physical achievements that anyone has done, probably ever. First the actual climb itself is insane, for almost 4 hours he's basically climbing a flat piece of rock 3000 feet up with no chance to rest and more importantly no margin for error. The fact that he would die if he messed up at any time of the climb makes the pressure of it something completely outside the realm of normal physical competition or achievements.

Watching him clinging onto this rock with just centimeters of his shoes gripping the wall and holding on with individual fingers into the tiniest of ledges was just crazy. Also the fact that his body never fatigued is just mind boggling to me.

What do you guys think, is this up there on the pantheon of human physical achievements?

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Lol not even close.

The guy who lived off nothing but taco sauce for 5 days in his car has him beat.

symphonask

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah it's up there. 4 hours of intense physical activity with absolutely zero margin for error or you're dead.

What else compares?

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
it was an amazing movie, i went in thinking "this is stupid i'm gonna watch a movie about a dude who climbs rocks?" and went out with a lot of respect for the guy. also a bit of "why the fuck is he doing this" too. The amount of preparation and effort into these climbs is insane, like literally planning and memorizing every step you take for 8 hours.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017

milch

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously Tom Brady getting another ring at age 48 has this beat
We should all follow the TB12 Method®

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
it was an amazing movie, i went in thinking "this is stupid i'm gonna watch a movie about a dude who climbs rocks?" and went out with a lot of respect for the guy. also a bit of "why the fuck is he doing this" too. The amount of preparation and effort into these climbs is insane, like literally planning and memorizing every step you take for 8 hours.
I came out thinking that as well, but also that the guy is kind of a butthead. All the people around him who cared about him told him not to do it, the way he treated his girlfriend was just ugh. He has a huge disregard for anyone's feelings and almost seems like he doesn't understand that other people have feelings, and like he would put his own pursuit above everyone else in any scenario no matter the cost.
The boulder problem had me sweating
Is that where he had to decide whether to karate kick or jump and grab on? That was whew

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
oh yeah the guy came off totally as the guy from The Big Bang Theory, I could not understand at all why his girlfriend stays with him he was a total dickhead but the movie was fantastic in portraying that. all those moments at the house they were buying were insane.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Neat, for any UK folk, it's being shown on the National Geographic Channel tonight at 8pm. What great timing.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the movie did a good job at balancing the insane ordeal with the human stuff. Honnold may be emotionally awkward and obsessive, but the doc balances that emotional coolness with the burden placed on his friends and family. It really makes you question his choices as much as you root for his success

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
oh yeah the guy came off totally as the guy from The Big Bang Theory, I could not understand at all why his girlfriend stays with him he was a total dickhead but the movie was fantastic in portraying that. all those moments at the house they were buying were insane.
A lid for every pot, as my dad likes to say. Honnold's weird but I think you get a good sense of him being fun and dry-witted once you're part of his orbit. If anything, you come away from the doc impressed by how lucky he is to have found a girlfriend so patient and loving. The juxtaposition between the relationship and athleticism is what really elevated the movie, and it gave the story two catheric pay-offs in the end

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017

Still trying to process what Alex actually accomplished but all things considered I gotta think it's one of the greatest physical achievements that anyone has done, probably ever. First the actual climb itself is insane, for almost 4 hours he's basically climbing a flat piece of rock 3000 feet up with no chance to rest and more importantly no margin for error. The fact that he would die if he messed up at any time of the climb makes the pressure of it something completely outside the realm of normal physical competition or achievements.

Watching him clinging onto this rock with just centimeters of his shoes gripping the wall and holding on with individual fingers into the tiniest of ledges was just crazy. Also the fact that his body never fatigued is just mind boggling to me.

What do you guys think, is this up there on the pantheon of human physical achievements?

There are multiple points on that climb where he can get into a rest stance, and recover.

Oct 25, 2017
I came out thinking that as well, but also that the guy is kind of a butthead. All the people around him who cared about him told him not to do it, the way he treated his girlfriend was just ugh. He has a huge disregard for anyone's feelings and almost seems like he doesn't understand that other people have feelings, and like he would put his own pursuit above everyone else in any scenario no matter the cost.

Is that where he had to decide whether to karate kick or jump and grab on? That was whew
Yes

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I've never understood why people would do this stuff. Feels so irresponsible with your own life.

Mountain climbing is such a dumb activity.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, last week I brought in like, 8 grocery bags from the car in a single trip.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Still trying to process what Alex actually accomplished but all things considered I gotta think it's one of the greatest physical achievements that anyone has done, probably ever. First the actual climb itself is insane, for almost 4 hours he's basically climbing a flat piece of rock 3000 feet up with no chance to rest and more importantly no margin for error. The fact that he would die if he messed up at any time of the climb makes the pressure of it something completely outside the
Wait there was no nets and shit. What was going to happen to the footage if he slipped?

Climbing/xxxxtreme parkour seems to be not that dangerous if people can scale buildings and run across rooftops. Or maybe there's a whole bunch of dead parkour and spidermens you never hear about.

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017

Well... his net worth is in the millions, and, he pretty much bought her a house....

She is a "life coach" ...

So you tell me who brings home the bacon

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know.

But what I do know is it's the first time in a long time where I was physically sweating watching it in a theater. Do yourselves a favor and see it in the cinema if you haven't.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I don't see how he can be considered a dickhead. The dude made it clear to all of his intentions. He has a goal and dream and he wanted to see it through. Even his mom understood that

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how he can be considered a dickhead. The dude made it clear to all of his intentions. He has a goal and dream and he wanted to see it through. Even his mom understood that
Yeah I wouldn't say he is a dick. HIs brain is obviously wired a bit different so he comes off as awkward and he donates something like a third of his income to that's charity he runs

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I dunno, last week I brought in like, 8 grocery bags from the car in a single trip.
F4kl.gif

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017
Are you joking? Please tell me you are?

She knew EXACTLY what Alex does and what he is all about from Day 1. Alex is completely open and up front about it, and he is 100% transparent about where she fits into the picture in relation to his climbing.

If she doesn't like being with him then she can leave.

He'll just go climbing like he did after the breakup with the girl before her.

Last edited:

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Imagine watching Free Solo and coming to the conclusion that Honnold is a dickhead rather than an intelligent and driven person who wastes no time on bullshit. He's practical and direct, not emotionally inhibited.

OP
OP
Br3wnor

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine watching Free Solo and coming to the conclusion that Honnold is a dickhead rather than an intelligent and driven person who wastes no time on bullshit. He's practical and direct, not emotionally inhibited.

Yeah I mean I felt bad for the girlfriend but it's not like he ever lied to her or misled her about his priorities in life. He straight up told her that his relationship with her did not give him an obligation to live as long as possible. She knew 100% what she was getting into by being with him and it's pretty clear he's not going to give up climbing. I believe he will ultimately die doing solo climbing, it's just too risky to do into old age and he has a drive to keep outdoing himself.

I also think the GF makes it clear that she thinks he's going to stop eventually for her but it seems unlikely.

shazrobot

Oct 28, 2017
If she doesn't like being with him then she can leave.

He'll just go climbing like he did after the breakup with the girl before her.
I agree with the first part. Your first post came off like the only reason that she is with him is because of money. We don't know everything about their relationship and it's unfair to judge. It comes off as rather rude.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
I've never understood why people would do this stuff. Feels so irresponsible with your own life.

Mountain climbing is such a dumb activity.
But physically pretty demanding. I hope you can see that far.
People are irresponsible with their life all the time. Let them. As long as they don't bother other people with it. And you never have to watch any of those movies or climbs if you don't want to.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Haven't had a chance to watch the movie but he's been doing a lot of interviews and press and certainly doesn't come off as a dick there.

NervousXtian

Oct 27, 2017
It's impressive, yet I don't know why we celebrate these people are basically for sure going to kill themselves. Someone mentioned Ueli Steck, yup.. dead from climbing.

At a certain point we are celebrating people risking their lives for what amounts to nothing.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The thing about his relationship is that he met his GF when she came to a book reading of his, and his book was about free soloing. Same way if you start dating a soldier who got back from Iraq, and then later they're being deployed back to Iraq. Of course you worry, but you know who you're getting involved with.

It was really interesting to see how she reacted to his first solo attempt in the fall, where she kept wanting details and talking about it, and then how for his second attempt in the spring where she left him to focus on his own.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah I mean I felt bad for the girlfriend but it's not like he ever lied to her or misled her about his priorities in life. He straight up told her that his relationship with her did not give him an obligation to live as long as possible. She knew 100% what she was getting into by being with him and it's pretty clear he's not going to give up climbing. I believe he will ultimately die doing solo climbing, it's just too risky to do into old age and he has a drive to keep outdoing himself.

I also think the GF makes it clear that she thinks he's going to stop eventually for her but it seems unlikely.
Yep, he knows who he is and doesn't use the sociable mask that most people rely on. I respect him for being unapologetically true to himself, clear-headed about the kind of life he's chosen, and self-aware enough to acknowledge that his personality and lifestyle put a strain on his relationships.

What could be better than knowing exactly who you are, and living on your own terms? Alex Honnold is living his best life, and nobody should fault him for that.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't had a chance to watch the movie but he's been doing a lot of interviews and press and certainly doesn't come off as a dick there.

He's definitely pretty callous, especially at the beginning of the relationship where he's talking about them in the film. The film takes place over the course of at least a year, and in the beginning when the relationship is new he does say stuff like, "there will be plenty of girlfriends in my life," or, "she's small and doesn't take up a lot of space in the van" and other dismissive stuff.

I do think a lot of it has to do with them having only gone out for a couple of months and the doc crew asking him to talk about the relationship, and he's a dude who hasn't had a lot of long-term relationships, so he of course doesn't put a lot stock into it.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
But physically pretty demanding. I hope you can see that far.
People are irresponsible with their life all the time. Let them. As long as they don't bother other people with it. And you never have to watch any of those movies or climbs if you don't want to.

There are tons of other physically demanding activities that don't risk your life stupidly so yeah. Still don't get the appeal.