• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Does there need to be a Switch Pro?

• Yes. Take my money!

Votes: 720 61.4%
  • No. Save it for next gen.

Votes: 378 32.3%
  • I don't know...

Votes: 74 6.3%

• Total voters

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
With the current Switch getting it's internals updated, clock speeds getting a boost recently and the Lite making the handheld mode more of the default way games will be played is there even a point to bring another mid-gen update to market? The Switch itself offered a boost over Wii U after all.

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'd love it to happen, but I don't feel like it's really all that necessary for Nintendo to do it. Switch graphics are severely outdated, it be cool to see base PS4 graphics on the Switch next year though.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Let me reframe your question:

This is an enthusiast forum where people buy $400 PS4 Pros and build $1000+ gaming PCs. What would you expect in reply if you were to ask such a group of people the question, "How would you like a more powerful version of your device?"

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
The upclocking is going to be very minor. What people want in a Switch Pro is a significant boost. That one will boost sales similar to how PS4 Pro and XB1X did, Lite will boost towards a much more handheld-oriented audience, so both revisions could target a different audience. So yeah, there's plenty of viability and potential for a Pro.

Obligatory, but: WiiWho?

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
It never was "needed" - at least for Nintendo or the majority of the market.
Makes more sense for Nintendo to wait a bit longer so they can make a more essential jump for "Pro" version like we saw on One S to One X.

I can see a Pro Version happening in 2021 - so 6-9 months after PS5/Nextbox releases.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I need one in order to justify buying a switch.

Might just send up another Nintendoless generation for me.

Derktron

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
Of course, it is needed, for next-gen to keep Nintendo floating up in these tough seas we are in for 9th-gen.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Depends on the boost.. awaiting DF's report. Will the Switch Lite have the same boosted internals as the updated dockable Switch?
Once PS5 and XB2 are out that story will change.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Yeah. I don't like my games running under subnative res. Xenoblade 2 was awful dipping under 400 on handheld and games like Crash or DOOM have to take huge resolution hits to keep the games sort of comparable to the other consoles.

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
Considering Nintendo doesn't make 1st-party games in a photo-realistic art style, what would they do with more power?

I'm all for Breath of the Wild at 60fps. But not sure I need it at 4K in docked mode, frankly.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. Give me a 1080p OLED panel, Bluetooth audio, improved clocks, bigger battery, and a larger screen by eliminating those awful bezels.

The Switch screen could easily be extended to 7.5" without changing any of the physical dimensions.

It could even come with a "Pro" dock to achieve better resolution/FPS when used as a home console.

OP
OP
MysticGon

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Let me reframe your question:

This is an enthusiast forum where people buy $400 PS4 Pros and build $1000+ gaming PCs. What would you expect in reply if you were to ask such a group of people the question, "How would you like a more powerful version of your device?"

Lol, so I've realized. A portable 1080p machince with HDR would be nice though.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
people here will tell yes since they are tech geeks but no dev is really gonna take advantge of it in a handheld

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
100%

Honestly, the dream is to have something on the PS4/Xbox One level of tech but in a handheld like the Switch.
Nintendo is not known for that big of a jump so I wouldn't expect that. I'm expecting more something that's going to make 1080p and stable framerate a standard in docked and 720 undocked

Merino

Oct 26, 2017
I'm actually already on the fence. It won't come out this year so then what next year?

At that point why not wait for holiday 2011 and bring out a backwards compatible Switch 2 rather than a pro version. I would bite.

Thardin

Jan 7, 2018
100%

Honestly, the dream is to have something on the PS4/Xbox One level of tech but in a handheld like the Switch.

That is the dream. Sadly, I don't see it being more than just a dream. Such a console would have an abysmal battery life and would probably have to run the fan in handheld mode or risk overheating.

I'm actually already on the fence. It won't come out this year so then what next year?

At that point why not wait for holiday 2011 and bring out a backwards compatible Switch 2 rather than a pro version. I would bite.

With modern consoles all essentially using PC architecture, the only difference in a Switch Pro or a Switch 2 would be the name. It is all just semantics at this point (assuming Nintendo doesn't do something stupid like change the cart type).

The PS4 Pro could have been the PS5 and the PS5 coming out next fall could have been the PS6. You could argue that the tech jump from the Pro to the 5 is bigger than from the 4 to the Pro and thus it needs a new generation, but it is really just semantics. They aren't running custom hardware and architectures like older generations where you had to literally emulate old hardware for backwards compatibility.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
100%

Apple's iPad Pro is closing in on the Xbox One S in terms of graphical horsepower and fidelity.

The problem for Nvidia and Nintendo is that I don't think Nvidia has any other mobile SoCs beyond the Tegra X2. So for a Switch Pro or Switch 2, I'm assuming that Nvidia and Nintendo will have to work together to create a custom ARM based SoC optimized for gaming.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
For me yes, I would be fine to get an additional Switch Pro for the heavy duty games that just hooks up to my monitor and doesn't have to upscale from a small screen and has a decent frame rate. Breath of the Wild was a bummer in that regard.

I'll keep my normal switch for all the lighter games I can play in Bed and couch.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

Waiting for a new era to start plus 2011 years is a bit too long of a wait, though ;)

More on point, though: 2021 isn't going to see the Switch 2 most likely, Nintendo have said they want the Switch to be around a bit longer than typical systems (which they defined as 5 years), which would get us to 2023 or later I think.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Very much so

Art style can only take you so far before you need the power to execute your ideas. The question is that if Nintendo moves from the cheap Tegra they got to a new chip from nVidia that'll likely cost much more, what will that do for the price of a Switch Pro compared to the really powerful in comparison next gen systems?

Gonna be interesting to see how Nintendo does this

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just want Nintendo to release a more capable system in terms of hardware so that they can not only push their tech and expertise, but to incentive even more third-party developers to come aboard. If that means next-gen, then so be it. But since the Switch is selling like hot cakes, there's no way they'd do that, so I'll take the Switch Pro.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Did I miss the news where the rumors about the current Switch being updated turned out to be confirmed?

When has a console ever seen hardware upgrades and not been given a new name? The new name sells more units and causes double dipping. If there's no new name, the upgrades aren't significant, so yes, we would still need a Pro.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
do we even know if the original model is getting upgraded?

but anyways a Switch pro makes sense if only to keep the brand going

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
It never was needed. Developers can make exactly the type of game they want to with the current hardware. They might have to cut some things back here and there, but it can be done. Granted, there's issues with multi-platform games, but Bethesda seems to be handling that issue pretty well. Others could too, if they wanted.

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
Absolutely, yes. The switch's anemic hardware has been a major factor in my reluctance to buy one. I'm still holding out.

Zutrax

"This guy are sick"
Oct 31, 2017
I'd pay a lot of money to be able to play a majority of the exclusive switch titles in 1080p with at least a stable 30FPS or more. Right now as Xenoblade 2 is, I can't play it because of how horrible the resolution is. Would be awesome to re-experience all these games again with some powerful hardware.