• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Domcorleone

Oct 26, 2017
In an effort to cheer my wife up due to the lockdown, I bought animal crossing on my switch, and she has been playing non stop. When I went to play on my own account I found out that I can only share the same island (which she doesnt like very much at all actually) so I decided to get another switch. I primary game in portable mode so I see me using the lite more than her but I wanted to know if its a good purchase considering there are no more OG switches out in the wild. I want us to be able to play AC together and separately using my digital download.

Thoughts?

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
That's how I use mine, I gave my regular to my sister got myself a lite with a larger sd and went full digital, imo it's the way switch was meant to be. Plus so I don't have to buy 2 copies of games I put my account on her switch as another user and made it my home console then just sign in directly on mine. If you are gonna leave the home with your switch just do the reverse since one of you would need constant internet.

Switch lite is a better system imo

Last edited:

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
if you don't mind your AC save stuck on the Lite. Until Nintendo decides to finally allow that last resort transfer thing they mentioned. It's fine.

I sort of regret not loading up AC on my Lite originally. Cause after using the regular one. I miss the Lite as my primary Switch

bal

Dec 22, 2018
Barcelona
I'm using one since pokemon release and my only complain is about battery. It's not enough for me... in other hand, every other aspect i think it's superior in versus the original handled one.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I probably would have impulse bought a Lite by now if not for the Animal Crossing thing. I can't be the only one. Nintendo cutting off their nose to spite their face.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
If it's for AC then yeah, that title works great as a portable one, but don't give up on the main dockable Switch as some titles suck in portable mode due to the smaller screen. Can't imagine playing Luigi's Mansion and Astral Chain on a Lite 😬

Crepuscular

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I probably would have impulse bought a Lite by now if not for the Animal Crossing thing. I can't be the only one. Nintendo cutting off their nose to spite their face.

Same. I've had the OG switch since launch but I'm kind of itching to buy a lite once the stock issues get resolved... it just looks like a more appealing piece of handheld tech and I really love the new coral color. But then I keep remembering, I can't just hop back and forth with my AC island.

I guess I could just have 2 separate islands though? lol

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Same. I've had the OG switch since launch but I'm kind of itching to buy a lite once the stock issues get resolved... it just looks like a more appealing piece of handheld tech and I really love the new coral color. But then I keep remembering, I can't just hop back and forth with my AC island.

I guess I could just have 2 separate islands though? lol
I play 90% handheld and the smaller, sharper screen appeals to me. Not only that, but the grey lite really reminds me of my classic GBA;
4195BFKBZYL._SR600,315_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

OP
OP
Domcorleone

Domcorleone

Oct 26, 2017
If it's for AC then yeah, that title works great as a portable one, but don't give up on the main dockable Switch as some titles suck in portable mode due to the smaller screen. Can't imagine playing Luigi's Mansion and Astral Chain on a Lite 😬
Oddly enough, I play Astral Chain almost exclusively portable. The only game on the switch I constantly had docked was BoTW

Dogzillaboot

Nov 12, 2017
Sacramento, California
I just got one because I mainly play in handheld mode. I play smash with an Ethernet adapter and GameCube controller so I still wanted to keep my old one for that though. I can't believe how much better it feels than the normal one! It really does remind of a Gameboy advance and I love it so much.

I did have to return the first because it had dead pixels however. Seems like they are hit and miss in terms of quality so make sure you give it a really good look over after you get it!

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I bought a Switch on launch.

I bought a V2 the day it came out.

And then I bought a Lite and I've never gone back. Look, the Switch is a really cool concept and for families and MOST people, it's probably the better buy. But for me? I very, very rarely play Switch on the TV.

For handheld play, the Lite is vastly superior to the regular or V2. Way better feeling in the hand. Way lighter. More solidly built. Sharper screen. Actually somewhat portable. D-Pad. I just love it. Love it love it.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
My wife got a coral Switch Lite and I've been really impressed with it. It's much lighter and more comfortable than I was expecting, and the buttons are a big upgrade over the joycon buttons. The coral color is also reeeaaally nice.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
The dock for me is mostly just a glorified charger that puts my Switch on display next to my tv
The only game I ever play docked is Smash Ultimate or MK8D, due to playing with friends when we meetup.

OP
OP
Domcorleone

Domcorleone

Oct 26, 2017
I bought a Switch on launch.

I bought a V2 the day it came out.

And then I bought a Lite and I've never gone back. Look, the Switch is a really cool concept and for families and MOST people, it's probably the better buy. But for me? I very, very rarely play Switch on the TV.

For handheld play, the Lite is vastly superior to the regular or V2. Way better feeling in the hand. Way lighter. More solidly built. Sharper screen. Actually somewhat portable. D-Pad. I just love it. Love it love it.

Yea I think im going to pull the trigger on one. I pretty much just play handheld. Which color did you get?

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
That's how I use mine, I gave my regular to my sister got myself a lite with a larger sd and went full digital, imo it's the way switch was meant to be. Plus so I don't have to buy 2 copies of games I put my account on her switch as another user and made it my home console then just sign in directly on mine. If you are gonna leave the home with your switch just do the reverse since one of you would need constant internet.

Switch lite is a better system imo

Does the stick on the Lite drift as fast as the OG? Already went through 2 pairs of joycons and Nintendo doesn't offer free repairs in Europe.

Would suck a lot if the lite suffered from the same issue.

OP
OP
Domcorleone

Domcorleone

Oct 26, 2017
Second question:

Is my wife able to play the games I bought on EITHER switch or can she only use the one that is the primary?

PhantomArtifice

Lead Administrator at Final Weapon
Verified
Apr 24, 2019
USA
Lite is very nice for handheld, personally think it feels better in the hand than the Switch. You don't have detachable Joy-Con, so with it all being one seamless body it's a very solid build.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Yea I think im going to pull the trigger on one. I pretty much just play handheld. Which color did you get?

The turquoise/blue.

All three original colors look great, though - can't really do wrong. And from the videos I've seen, coral is also pretty cool. But I think turquoise is the best - I have no regrets. I'd kill for an official Atomic Purple, though.

When I was a kid I waited in line at Walmart for the Gamecube at launch with my dad, and I was so happy to secure a jet black model. And from that point on, I always regretted not getting Indigo. As such, I always default to the fun colors now as an adult.

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
I wish I liked the Lite more but I returned mine for a regular Switch just last week. It was too small and it cramped my hand after a hour of using it. It reminded me of my issues with the Vita.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
If you don't want to plug into a TV, the Switch Lite is better in pretty much every way. Cheaper, smaller, lighter, more solid-feeling. And cuter :)

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Second question:

Is my wife able to play the games I bought on EITHER switch or can she only use the one that is the primary?

I believe she can only use the primary, the secondary will only allow you. This is how it maps out with my family. That should work for AC though, you get AC and your island on your switch on the DL version of the game, she gets her island on the primary switch with her account with the same DL version.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Second question:

Whatever you buy digitally should be available to redownload on the eshop. Even if both Switches use the same account.

the secondary switch will make sure the primary one isn't using the same game at the same time. But you will both be able to play games you bought on the acocunt.

Mar 7, 2020
USA
Depends on your needs. If you want gaming on the go, ex. going to doctors appointment and waiting, or bus, or at work, the lite is better. If you game more at home on a couch, then the reguler switch is better.

I have a gaming PC, so I gave my switch to my brother and got a lite to replace it. I use the lite when I'm at work on break, at doctors appointment, or when I'm on the toilet XD

dodo667418

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 28, 2017
Got myself the grey special Pokemon edition of the Lite last week after getting a good deal for a new one. I've had the regular Switch ever since release and mostly play in handheld mode. And wow it was a good decision to also get the Lite. The weight reduction is staggering. My hands started to hurt holding the regular one sometimes. That's not an issue with the Lite. It still doesn't have my favorite handheld form factor (I much prefer my Vita for that, but it's even smaller obviously). But compared to the regular Switch, the Lite feels a lot better in hand thanks to the weight and size reduction.

Game / account management works great, at least with the games that have cloud backups. I just set up my Lite as my primary console and can also play games on the go, while my OG Switch is always in the dock now, always connected to the internet so I can play all my games on it as well. It only sucks that a few games don't support the cloud saves so you have to choose where you want to play.

Novocaine

Oct 26, 2017
I bought my girlfriend a Switch so she could play too and I'm so happy I did because sharing an island seems like a total nightmare and I think in turn would have soured our enjoyment. But she's been loving it especially during this lockdown

ozfunghi

Oct 25, 2017
Bought a used regular Switch for €60 (joycons were supposedly bust, but i can fix those). So one is now hooked up to the tv, and the other is being played portable. Until i get some spare parts i ordered in the mail, i can fix the joycons and have two regular switches. I bought them both used, btw. One shortly after launch, the other one the week before lockdown (in EU).

tm24

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So I have a question. If i make my gf's Switch Lite the primary, she can play my digital copy of Animal Crossing and all my games. But can we play AC together using that same digital copy and our different accounts?

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
I just learned it isn't. I'm really angry right now because my daughters started playing on Lite instead of regular switch.
I don't know how this shit with saves can happen in 2020 in a multi-million seller game firm the most iconic platform holder.

Teepo671

Nov 1, 2017
Guam
So I have a question. If i make my gf's Switch Lite the primary, she can play my digital copy of Animal Crossing and all my games. But can we play AC together using that same digital copy and our different accounts?

Unfortunately you can't play the same digital copy on two different switch systems. I own a switch and switch lite and thought I could visit my second island to sell fruit for profit but when I tried I got an error message telling me I can only play the game on a single switch. Tried going offline and doing it locally and got the message at the dodo airport when I was searching for an island.