• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
If you trade in your launch PS4, you can have a PS4 Pro at 299$. The first party games atleast look fantastic, third party tiles play well mostly.

This is a great deal considering you can play GoW, Spiderman, HZD, Ghosts of Tsutshima, TLOU2 and Death Stranding still to come. Go for it!
used ps4 worth a $100? Man not even worth it. lol

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't buy a PS4 Pro or a One X for what they're asking at this late stage of the gen. Unless you can pick it up for an insane deal, just wait it out. It's not worth losing a $100-$200 or more just for slightly more detail or added resolution/smoothness, when the new consoles are around the corner.

Then again, you might be able to pick one up second hand or new on Craigslist or Gumtree for a great deal. I actually picked mine up at launch for £300 from someone on Gumtree, which was £50 less than retail on day one back in 2016.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Nah. The Pro was a really disappointing premium console. MS did it way better. I hope Sony is more ambitious second time around.

Feb 10, 2018
It depends.
If u have a 4k TV and want to play Sony games to there best you need a pro.
I would feel like I'm not doing sony's games justice by playing them at 1080p on my 4k TV.

But $399 does seem a lot when PS5 will be out soon.
If you can get $250 for your pro when PS5 comes out you paid $150 to rent a pro and you will have $250 to go towards a PS5 which will ease the burden.

I spent £300 for my Pro.
I will probably sell it soon after the PS5 is announced, or I may sell it Jan 2020 if we hear nothing between now and then. I hope I get £200 for it. Will certainly help getting a PS5.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I took advantage of a good trade in deal to get my PS4 Pro and that was definitely worth it. The regular prices aren't too great but if you wait for a proper deal or bundle to come around that looks appealing, jump on it, it's a fairly nice upgrade.

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely not.

I love mine, but I got it close to launch.

Couldn't recommend it to anyone at that price today.

dd492941

Oct 28, 2017
I bought mine launch week from target for 360 and sold my ps4 for 200 with some older games I didn't play and I don't regret it at all. Love the 4k hdr support especially in games like horizon although wish I had psvr v2 to go with it as psvr v1 is annoying to deal with having a 4k hdr tv attached.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I firmly believe the 500 Million edition is worth every penny MSRP - and when it's obsolete, I'm fairly sure i'll be able to resell it for close to what I paid for it since it's so limited. Plus, the 2TB drive makes all the difference.

jbareham_180822_0800_0076.jpg
this should be the color scheme for Ps5

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Eh, I found the upgrade underwhelming personally.
Still a great console, just not a huge jump. If you need that 4K and can get a more recent model (not the loud old ones), and can justify the cost, then whatever.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
Eh? How are you meant to play Spiderman, Horizon, GoW etc on an X? Because those are the exclusives that benefit from the Pro spec bump.

What I meant is that if you're going to spend $400-$500 for one of the mid generation console, you'd get more of a benefit out of a Xbox One X due to Multiplatform games being available and running better on the X. And access to Game Pass. I own a PS4 Pro, but knowing what I know now from ownership, I'd advise PS4 OG/Slim owners to skip it and opt for an Xbox One X if they are really itching for resolution/frame rate bumps. Spiderman, Horizon, and God of War all perform well enough compared to the Pro's performance for it to not be worth it, imo.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
nah but the exclusives on PS4 are really fire if you like those games so there is that sony premium and the ps4 pro rarely goes on sale. I was pretty surprised how the only deal during black friday was for the PS4 Pro RDR 2 bundle which I think only dipped to $379 or so at a few places, almost everywhere during the holidays just sold it for msrp

meanwhile you can go buy an xbox one X with fallout 76 and like a bundled controller and some other stuff for $399 at costco today lol

SinceILeftYou

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
nah but the exclusives on PS4 are really fire if you like those games so there is that sony premium and the ps4 pro rarely goes on sale. I was pretty surprised how the only deal during black friday was for the PS4 Pro RDR 2 bundle which I think only dipped to $379 or so at a few places, almost everywhere during the holidays just sold it for msrp

meanwhile you can go buy an xbox one X with fallout 76 and like a bundled controller and some other stuff for $399 at costco today lol

373 with tax. Couldn't pass it up.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If you have a perfectly fine launch PS4, I personally don't think it's worth it.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
PS5 hype train. Time to move on OP.
It Sony decides to not support PS4 b/c, it's probably time to switch to another ecosystem instead of supporting them.

Deleted member 30151

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Would have created such a thread by myself if I had kept my PlayStation 4 Pro.

After a crash caused by the PlayStation Store, my whole system said goodybe. It rebooted without problems but games saved on the HD crashed frequently since that crash. I thought, maybe this is it after 3 years. I ordered a PlayStation 4 Pro, but I was curious enough to see if I can do something for my old system. And yet, finding a solution was so simple. The "Rebuild Database" Option fixed every problem. But it was to late to cancel my PlayStation 4 Pro Order. Had to send it back after it arrived at my home.

I was able to test the one my girlfriend bought a while back and I played the One Shot Demo of the Resident Evil 2 Remake. And I asked myself, is this really worth 400 Euros if your current PlayStation works well again? Came to the conclusion, it's not worth 400 Euros and I still think the pricetag is hefty. The pro unfortunately isn't able to play UHD Blu-ray Discs and it is still not able to play simple Audio-Discs.

With the PlayStation 5 on the horizon, I think's the Pro Upgrade isn't worth it.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
I don't think so, and I just bought one along with Yakuza 0, HZD and GoW. Unfortunately none of them can hold my interest.

I'm hoping Anthem will at least justify some of the cost otherwise I'll never hear the end of it just like my Xbox One purchase.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
after owning one for awhile now, I would say

If you already own one..........no.....not worth it at all

If you don't own one......sure, why not.

However the bundles you can get for a base PS4 at times are insane compared to a Pro that makes it not really worth it. It's probably the weakest value for a console atm.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck no. PS4 Pro and Xbox One X are not worth $400+ in 2019, especially given that we're 20 months or less from their successors which will be significantly more powerful, have full BC, and will be the same price.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I wouldn't buy a PS4 Pro or a One X for what they're asking at this late stage of the gen. Unless you can pick it up for an insane deal, just wait it out. It's not worth losing a $100-$200 or more just for slightly more detail or added resolution/smoothness, when the new consoles are around the corner.

Then again, you might be able to pick one up second hand or new on Craigslist or Gumtree for a great deal. I actually picked mine up at launch for £300 from someone on Gumtree, which was £50 less than retail on day one back in 2016.

I wouldn't buy either right noe but upgrading from a S to X is a much better proposition than PS4 to Pro.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't buy either right noe but upgrading from a S to X is a much better proposition than PS4 to Pro.

Whilst true (depending partly on how much you'll be playing exclusives vs multiplatform titles, and which platforms exclusives appeal to you most), the X is also more expensive than the Pro, thus you potentially stand to lose more money on it going into next gen.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ps4 pro is still 399 yet some think Sony will release a 16Teraflop system with 32gb of ram, 2tb hard drive at the end of this year for 399?

No... PS5 would be 8-10tflops with 16gb of ram and 1tb hard drive *IF* it was this Winter.*

*It won't be this Winter but Winter 2020 and I expect the same specs with maybe the GPU being 10-12tflops instead.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Your mileage may vary, but EB Games was offering about 160$ for my launch PS4 iirc, I sold it for 240$ in a few days on kijiji. Same for my 3DSXL, got about 50% more selling it myself. It's worth it just to play Horizon on a HDR TV.

NimbusCub

Oct 28, 2017
Phoenix
Unless it's a collector's edition or a retailer bundle, I'd say no. At least in the US, you can find PS4 Pros with multiple games included for ~$300-350 on places like FB Marketplace, OfferUp, and Craigslist.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Ps4 pro is still 399 yet some think Sony will release a 16Teraflop system with 32gb of ram, 2tb hard drive at the end of this year for 399?

Yeah... this is making me think PS5 might not be coming as soon as I thought.

At the moment PS4 Pro is still a great buy for anyone who doesn't have a PS4 yet, but anyone who already has a base PS4 should just wait and keep the money for PS5 even if it's going to take a while. Just enjoy the great games while you wait.