• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017
You saying 90% of your gaming is on PC makes me think you are not going to like the quality of the 3DS screen. It's absolutely awful and was already outdated when it launched back in 2011.

You wanting to use the system to relax on the couch after putting the kids to bed also tells me it won't see much use in all likelihood so you will never exhaust the great library the system has.

At this point you might as well just go for a Switch even though it's far more expensive: the current top games on there will last you a lifetime, your eyes won't bleed because of the great quality screen, and who knows, you might love it and pay more attention to future releases.

Or just play on your mobile phone, there's a lot of paid quality games without all the nonsense to be found on there nowadays.

fepeinado

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
There are tons of games that doesn't have a new version on Switch, even Nintendo games.

If you want to play Metroid Samus Returns, Kid Icarus Uprising, Ace Combat, Bravely Default (Still no news of the rumored Switch release) and many more you're out of luck if you only have a Switch.

Hell I could even stretch it and add the Virtual Console as an incentive among other things

3DS iss a console with more than 8 years over its shoulders, while Switch has barely 2. Switch is fantastic, for me the best console Nintendo released since Wii, but 3DS has a de facto better library just by virtue of its veterany
I'm not saying that 3ds is bad or he shouldn't get one (i have a New 3ds and think it's the best place for playing jrpgs, for example - and enjoy ALL games you listed, except kid Icarus for controlling reasons), but If games like Mario maker, Mario kart and smash Bros are the OP focus, the Switch would be a better option imo

Last edited:

Cosmozone

Apr 24, 2019
Reminds me that I had to buy a new one after the previous 3DS suffered a bit too much from sitting on my backpocket. And I was astonished that a normal 3DS was hard to come by. Most retailers only had (new) 2DS's for the same price. Being a fan of the 3D function, that was annoying. It's still the most unique thing about it and it makes me sad that most people don't care. That said, the huge library of great games will always be the top reason to get one. Lots of hidden gems, too, such as Another Code or Crimson Shroud on the e-shop.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
as a long time 3DS hater, it's now one of if not my favorite handheld system. buy like a 64gig SD card and go to town as you realize that you can easily fit every 3DS, Gameboy, GBC, GBA, and 8bit/16bit game you could ever want onto a beautiful backlit screen.

you gotta get a new 3DS (not XL) tho

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I highly recommend the new 3DS XL

The 3DS has an amazing library. The reason you want the new 3DS instead of 2DS is because some games make great use of 3D without inducing a headache. Especially first party games like ALBTW, Luigis Mansion 2, Mario3D Land

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not saying that 3ds is bad or he shouldn't get one (i have a New 3ds and think it's the best place for playing jrpgs, for example - and enjoy ALL games you listed, except kid Icarus for controlling reasons), but If games like Mario maker, Mario kart and smash Bros are the OP focus, the Switch would be a better option imo

OP said price is an issue.

New 2DS XL + Super Mario Maker + Link Between Worlds + Mario Kart 7 + Wario Ware Gold or whatever is one hell of a deal and still comes down to less than just the SW base hardware, and the games are more expensive too.

Hell, make that an OG 2DS and you can have an incredible set of gaming without breaking the bank.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Depends, do you already have a 3DS?

Nintendo isn't going to do the sensible thing and make these games available on Switch.

Fifstar

Oct 27, 2017
Library wise yes, but the resloution is hardly tolerable these days. I'd say check in person if you can stand the image quality. If it's okay for you, i'm sure you're gonna find lots of games you'll like. Personally I would wait for Switch mini news (could be released as early as september).

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
Yes because you can play DS and 3DS games. So you'll have access to what might be the best library of games ever.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Sure but the hardware is absolutely outdated in 2019 - make sure you're okay with the 240p resolution first.

The library is outstanding that being said!

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of games utilising both screens are simply unworkable on the Switch, so yes, you should get it for that. Plus, you have access to the entire DS library too.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yes. Most 3DS (and DS) games will likely never be playable on anything else in the future. Kid Icarus Uprising is my first recommendation. (Though, that's the one game I hope is retooled for future releases.)

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
If you're going to ever buy a New 3DS XL, this is the time. Nintendo doesn't produce them anymore, yet they haven't yet become impossible to buy at a reasonable price. I got one off eBay for $100 a few months ago in great condition.

For 240p complainers, yeah, the improved 3D effect makes such low resolution tolerable. Hence I don't much care for the 2DS, even though it's still a gateway to a solid 3DS library.

If you really want to enjoy original DS games, I don't recommend a 3DS. I hate the resolution scaling applied to that older system. Main reason why I'm never getting rid of my original DSi. (In addition to 3DS internal memory having a ridiculous limit on DSiWare installs, hence, I need my old DSi *and* newer 3DS to hold all of my fave DSiWare games.)

Sonicfan1373

Nov 24, 2017
If you want to go beyond Mario Kart and Smash then I would say absolutely. The system has an amazing library. However, if you just want Mario Kart 7 and Smash 3DS I think the Switch successors to those games are vastly better.

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Nope. Wait for homebrew at switch that will run 3DS games or official ports from nintendo. Its terrible hardware with bad ergonomy and screen

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I think so. Ive been playing link between worlds this week cause I had jury duty Monday and brought it with me. It isn't that expensive with tons of great games. Who knows what Nintendo is doing with their library so I'd go for it

Oct 25, 2017
I got a 2DS last week solely for Game Boy games.

I also have ALBW and Mario Kart 7, but I have little interest in them or most of the 3DS/2DS lineup outside of Kid Icarus and Kirby: Planet Robobot, and I would still say that at the right price (sub-100 dollars), it is a good buy to play GB games in 2019.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
If you really want to enjoy original DS games, I don't recommend a 3DS. I hate the resolution scaling applied to that older system. Main reason why I'm never getting rid of my original DSi. (In addition to 3DS internal memory having a ridiculous limit on DSiWare installs, hence, I need my old DSi *and* newer 3DS to hold all of my fave DSiWare games.)

The DS scaling is hit and miss really. It usually works better for DS 3D games (including 2.5D games, anything that uses polygons) and not so well for sprite based games, but even so you have the option of original resolution (at reduced screen estate use). And for some games like Mario Kart DS the circle pad or new D-pad can actually be better than the DS original.

Subomie

Feb 16, 2019
It's good for the portable experiences, especially thanks to the solid VC library. I've been playing the GameBoy Zelda titles on my way to work lately. Switch needs to get on board with that.