• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 12129

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Speaking as someone who hasn't owned a DS since the original DSi launched in 2008, I haven't played any of Nintendo's more recent handheld offerings as I don't have a bus commute anymore.

Recently I was thinking of getting something to play when I'm relaxing on the couch after the kids are in bed. 90% of my gaming is done on my PC nowadays and running a cable or steam link to the TV isn't as appealing anymore. I'm looking for something that I can pick up and play while relaxing and quickly pause if needed. I looked into a Switch but the price is still higher than I'd like at the moment.

The newer style 3DS popped up in my attempt to search for alternatives and I am seriously considering it now. Is it still a good buy nowadays? With some newer renditions of Mario Maker, Mario Kart, and Smash Bros hitting the Switch are the previous versions of the games on 3DS still worth looking into?

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, mostly because Mario Kart 7 is blah and vastly surpassed by MK8. Smash on the 3DS is okay enough, but the console versions look and play better.

Wait and see if the Switch Mini is a real thing and then buy one of those.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are a shit ton of games on the 3DS that have never and will never be ported to the Switch. If Mario and Smash are all you want then obviously no, it's not a good buy.

Feb 1, 2018
The screen quality is jarring and fairly unusable in 2019, the age of super high PPI mobile devices and monitors.

Wait for the switch mini instead, it'll be around the same price point

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Comes down to the games you want to play. There are hundreds of amazing games on the 3DS eShop and you've got full DS BC.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
If you didn't have a DS or a 3DS, there are TONS of great games that make it worth picking up. Personally, I'd get a new 2DS XL if I were in your position.
If Mario and Smash are all you want then obviously no, it's not a good buy.
Agree, but there's soooooooo much more.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
There's still a lot of fantastic games on the 3DS, have a look at the genre's your interested in and see if it's worth it for ya.

Oct 25, 2017
Waiting for a cheaper switch that's rumored to be out this year is probably a better choice.
Can probably get a 2DS for like $100, tho

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not for full price but if you can find a good deal absolutely, It's a great system and has some great games. I'd also say to make sure you get a new 3ds or 2ds.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
As long as you are going in with the knowledge that there likely aren't going to be any more games released for the system that you would care about, and understand that Nintendo price-protects it's first party games (though many games are part of the $20 Players Choice line-up), you should have a great time with the hardware

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
If you're just after Mario Kart and Smash, then you might be disappointed. Smash 3DS is fine, I guess, but MK7 is mediocre.

The system has one of the best gaming libraries ever though. It'll always be a good buy just for being able to access that alone, with the full DS library on top of that.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
If you haven't played games in the library, absolutely. Some games are making it to modern consoles here and there, but the vast majority won't be ported any time soon or at all.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
If you want to dig up some gems, go for it. If you just want to play Mario Kart and Smash... maybe. You waited this long, maybe just save for a Switch?

But yeah, overall it's a great handheld with a great library.

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
Despite MK and Smash having better entries on Switch, I still recommend getting a 3DS due to its vast, unique library. Zelda: Link Between Worlds, Kid Icarus Uprising and the Fire Emblems are still games that can't be played anywhere else.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
A new 3DS can play SNES games. An unmodified Switch, at the moment, cannot.
Hell, for that matter, Game Boy [Color] games too...

It's a good handheld. If you don't have one you ought to get one. The XL models are one of the better ways to experience the DS library aside from maybe the DSi XL.

But yes, if your goals are specifically mario kart and smash on the go, you'll almost certainly have a better time with the Switch. If you like other games than just those two, you really ought to pick a 3DS up.

Refurb new XL models are pretty cheap on the Nintendo online store too. Strongly encourage getting one there.

Deleted member 54320

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
London
Depends which games you want to buy.

If you find a ton you're interested in, then go right ahead. I would suggest modding the thing as well, throw some emulators on there and more.

thefreecheese

Oct 25, 2017
I think so. I have a lot of that similar time on the couch where I gravitate toward something on Switch but I still grab my 3DS from time to time. This week I've been going through Oracle of Ages and started Etrian Odyssey for the first time. For me, having Virtual Console availability is a great option and something like Etrian Odyssey that I completely missed is now just waiting for me. There's a lot of DS and 3DS games like that that I can still go back to when I want.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
The Switch is just so much better. I'd wait until the cheaper hardware revision comes out.

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
If you're okay with the lower resolution screen, there are lots of good games available for it. Don't expect a lot of new titles for it, though.

toad02

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
Im re-discovering mine in 2019 after years in the drawer so maybe it will be a good purchase for you.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
There are plenty of amazing 3DS games that make a 3DS worth a buy. For me though, it is so hard to go back to it.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, absolutely! So many games that will never be ported over and are absolutely worth owning!

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I got a New 3DS (regular not XL) for like $120 and it's great just to have access to all of the Sega 3D games and Yokai Watch 3.

I'm sure you can find enough games to justify buying one

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Always.gif

3DS + DS have a wonderful library that will probably never get ported.

Shalashaska

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's got a lot of great games, but the Mario Kart and Smash games are vastly better on Switch if that's all you're really interested in.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's great for a durable travel machine. Throw that thing in a backpack with Mario 3D Land and head out.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Look at the library of games, if there's enough there that you want to play then it's worth it.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Not a huge fan of the hardware itself but there are some models that are like $30 right? A steal for the amazing library you get

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If you look at the 3DS library of games and decide you want to play them for the price that it costs to purchase them, then yes.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Do some research on the 3DS's library and see if there's anything else that catches your eye. I don't think it would be worth it just for the games that you mentioned.

oxymoron

Oct 27, 2017
The newer style 3DS popped up in my attempt to search for alternatives and I am seriously considering it now. Is it still a good buy nowadays? With some newer renditions of Mario Maker, Mario Kart, and Smash Bros hitting the Switch are the previous versions of the games on 3DS still worth looking into?
Smash plays mediocre on 3DS - it depends so much on the control scheme.
Mario Maker 3DS is a watered down version of the Wii U version and isn't a *fantastic* buy, though still fun to play.

But there's a *ton* of great 3DS software that doesn't have a Switch analogue and you could spend years just playing those games if you've missed them.

Ceadeus

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Yes it is! Don't listen to the no sayer. There is tons of good game on it.

Technology gets better but good games stay good games.