• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, they're great. Best way to play DS games, alongside the smaller DSi model.

Fantastic screen quality, 1:1 pixel mapping, wonderful quality buttons/d-pad, fantastic quality stylus (even better if you get the Mega Stylus alongside the DSiXL - though bare in mind that it won't fit inside the unit itself) and fantastic battery life. Also has access to DSiWare. They blow the DS Lite completely out of the water.

Can't be beat really.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
It's a great form factor and design

BUT

You might end up with a model with the horrid yellow-hued top screen. Apparently some people don't notice it, but I ain't one of them. Might try to DIY a better screen onto my cool Mario edition at some point.

woodypop

Oct 27, 2017
I love mine and they have some pros like others have pointed out.

As a funny aside I drove way out of my way back when Radioshack was going out of business and got it on clearance and a SUPER low price. Was totally worth it!
That's how I got my bronze unit. Went to the neighborhood Radio Shack when it was on clearance. Was really happy to find it for cheap. (Later on I picked up a second used burgundy one -- I love the DSi XL!)

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
Loved my brown one, but it was stolen in a burglary. Real shame. Felt like a proper adult system, like it was made of mahogany or something.

The extra size is great, but the biggest upgrade is the speakers. Big, loud things, the best speakers Nintendo have ever fitted to a handheld. Was genuinely disappointed that the 3DS XL and n3DS XL didn't have a similar upgrade.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
They're the best.
I had the burgundy since they only sold these 'sophisticated' 'grown-up' colours at launch, but I think the yellow/black is the best looking portable N's ever made.
MY7Rf1c.jpg
Guess I just bought this.

kidnemo

Dec 11, 2017
That's how I got my bronze unit. Went to the neighborhood Radio Shack when it was on clearance. Was really happy to find it for cheap. (Later on I picked up a second used burgundy one -- I love the DSi XL!)

Hah nice! I don't remember how cheap it was, but I remember it was a super good deal because I was racing all over for it. Got the "adult" burgundy one.

Oct 31, 2017
Is a DSi XL worth it nowadays?

Of course, it's the best DS out there. I own the yellow one, it's great.

Were these region free? I need a DS to play my Japanese DS games.

The DSi games/features are region-locked but everything else is region free, like the OG/Lite DS.

regular DS games would play on all models but DSi enhanced games wouldn't if the region didn't match. i guess this would only be relevant to OP if they play 5th gen Pokemon games.

Are you talking about Black and White 2 ? If so, I think only the JP version is region-locked.

Last edited:

Lewpy

Oct 28, 2017
Burgundy owner here. Yes I can vouch it's the best way to play. Running DS titles through the 3DS looks abysmal. Bought it to go through the Igavania's.

Don't listen to whoever said the larger screen makes the games look smudged, they have no idea what they're talking about.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
I was full on XL for the longest time, but recently I've been wanting to go back to smaller handhelds, and the original DSI (not XL) is really great imo. Slightly bigger screens than DS Phat/Lite but still not XL size, and they look really sharp. And the system is really great in the hands, it's a really good form factor for a handheld.

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
I bought one on a whim and while it is nice I think my vision is too shit to notice a difference worth owning two devices.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
sure, if it has games you want to play.

it's the best DS model.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Do what I did-
Keep a DS Lite so you can play DS and GBA games.
I got rid of my XL and kept my Lite since it has the GBA slot and I love it

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
Worst thing about DSI is that it lacks 3DS's Activity Log.
I can even tolerate the post stamp sized screens when 1:1 scaling on 3DS, if it means the game will show up on it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This close to pulling the plug on a burgundy one with both styluses and a charger for $60 (Canadian) shipped. Worth it?

edit: Welp.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
As someone that doesn't mind how DS games look on 3DS but much prefers how crisp games like Pokemon SoulSilver look on the DS Lite, do games on the DSi XL look closer to the former or the latter?

Might actually pick one up if the latter.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As someone that doesn't mind how DS games look on 3DS but much prefers how crisp games like Pokemon SoulSilver look on the DS Lite, do games on the DSi XL look closer to the former or the latter?

The latter, far as I know, as the screen is at the exact DS resolution

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
This close to pulling the plug on a burgundy one with both styluses and a charger for $60 (Canadian) shipped. Worth it?

edit: Welp.
Did you end up checking Kijiji/Craigslist/FB marketplace? I don't know where you are but I see them for less than that plus a few games here in Toronto.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Did you end up checking Kijiji/Craigslist/FB marketplace? I don't know where you are but I see them for less than that plus a few games here in Toronto.
Yeah, I've been looking around a fair bit, but I wanted burgundy, and getting it for $60 shipped with a charger and the big stylus seemed like a pretty solid deal.

I ended up getting it through eBay, as Kijiji didn't have anything I wanted to bite.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Huh, I didn't know that all DSi XLs had guaranteed IPS screens. My New 3DS XL only has an IPS top screen so I guess that's half the experience lol

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Yeah, I've been looking around a fair bit, but I wanted burgundy, and getting it for $60 shipped with a charger and the big stylus seemed like a pretty solid deal.

I ended up getting it through eBay, as Kijiji didn't have anything I wanted to bite.
Enjoy it. I grabbed a bronze one years ago when they were being cleared out at either Future Shop or Best Buy and have always loved it.

Oct 27, 2017
I had an OG 3DS before (gave it to my sister, now) and the bilinear filtering ruins the DS games.

Also, I've handled a DSi XL before and it feels incredible to hold. It feels perfect.

Oh, I see. Honestly, I'd prefer a console that would allow me to play more games even if those don't look as good as you'd want them to. But if that's what you want, sure. There should be DSi out there and probably not expensive at all.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
I had an OG 3DS before (gave it to my sister, now) and the bilinear filtering ruins the DS games.

Also, I've handled a DSi XL before and it feels incredible to hold. It feels perfect.
a New 3DS XL with 1:1 mode active for DS games looks pretty close to how games look on a regular DS screen. no blurriness. only drawback is that the games are small but for me the New 3DS XL's other advantages like having the 3DS library + VC + activity log outweights the pluses of using a DSi XL (i own one and haven't used it in like 8 years)

OP
OP

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just hold select while booting NDS game for pixel perfect mode.
I know, but even then, it isn't the same. Also the original 3DS which I had is LEAGUES worse in terms of hardware design compared to DSi XL haha

a New 3DS XL with 1:1 mode active for DS games looks pretty close to how games look on a regular DS screen. no blurriness. only drawback is that the games are small but for me the New 3DS XL's other advantages like having the 3DS library + VC + activity log outweights the pluses of using a DSi XL (i own one and haven't used it in like 8 years)
I can barely justify the price of a second hand DSi XL in the first place so a n3DS XL is way out of my budget especially as there are vanishingly few 3DS games I remain interested in

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Oh, I see. Honestly, I'd prefer a console that would allow me to play more games even if those don't look as good as you'd want them to. But if that's what you want, sure. There should be DSi out there and probably not expensive at all.
Or you can be someone crazy enough to own the following.

DS Electric Blue
DS Lite Zelda Phantom Hourglass
DSi XL Bronze
3DS Cosmo Black
3DS Zelda 25th Anniversary
3DS XL Zelda A Link Between Worlds
New 3DS XL Zelda Majora's Mask
New 3DS XL Zelda Hyrule Edition
2DS Zelda Ocarina of Time
New 2DS XL Hylian Shield

Kinda feels weird I don't own a regular DSi or New 3DS.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
I know, but even then, it isn't the same. Also the original 3DS which I had is LEAGUES worse in terms of hardware design compared to DSi XL haha

I can barely justify the price of a second hand DSi XL in the first place so a n3DS XL is way out of my budget especially as there are vanishingly few 3DS games I remain interested in

oh well if you don't have any 3DS then fair enough. even the refurbished ones at Nintendo are $100 or more.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
A reminder to anyone interested in buying a regular DS of any variety.... their batteries are going to be between 7 and 15 years old (with more skewing towards the older side). Don't expect any you find to have great battery life, and many will be dead or dying.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I know it would be a completely frivolous purchase but, damn, that burgundy version is... enticing. From pictures that thing's rivalling even the Metallic Red DS Lite in the look department:

lrgscaledsoffred4.jpg

But, no, I won't buy one...

...nope...

...not buying it...

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
I'm coming to realize I didn't play a lot of classic DS games, so I was considering buying a DSi XL, because I've occasionally handled one and it feels fucking incredible to hold.

I want crisp pixels for the display over blurry bilinear filtering, so I don't want a 3DS, as those made DS games blurry as hell when upscaled, as I recall.

Is a DSi XL worth it nowadays? What's the best-looking color, and the kind of acceptable price I should be paying? (I'm thinking 50-60 CAD)
Yes the DSi XL is the best way to play DS games. The best looking one is the Red Mario edition :P

s-l300.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Or you can be someone crazy enough to own the following.

DS Electric Blue
DS Lite Zelda Phantom Hourglass
DSi XL Bronze
3DS Cosmo Black
3DS Zelda 25th Anniversary
3DS XL Zelda A Link Between Worlds
New 3DS XL Zelda Majora's Mask
New 3DS XL Zelda Hyrule Edition
2DS Zelda Ocarina of Time
New 2DS XL Hylian Shield

Kinda feels weird I don't own a regular DSi or New 3DS.

haha lmao. I'm not a collector, but wow

Alfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I bought a DSi XL a few years ago solely to play the DS Castlevania games. The d-pad on the 3DS makes playing those game a literal pain.

The games look freaking gorgeous on the DSi XL screens.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
You might end up with a model with the horrid yellow-hued top screen. Apparently some people don't notice it, but I ain't one of them. Might try to DIY a better screen onto my cool Mario edition at some point.
Those "yellow-hued" screens are the good ones - the ones that measured a neutral ~6500K.
They only look yellow if you are comparing them against screens which are tinted blue.

"Yellow-tinted" DSi XL measuring ~6750K:
neutral-screenr0kn8.png

9100K DSi XL screen:
blue-screenmwk75.png

I was annoyed because I bought the last two DSi XLs I could find, and had to return the second because that blue-tinted screen looked bad. It was also dimmer at 140 nits vs 185 nits.
My suspicion is that they were actually using quantum-dot backlights of some form with the 6500K displays. Why? Due to the brightness increase, and because backlight leakage (a design issue inherent to the system) on the lower screen showed a bright blue LED rather than faint white:
dfow3965w7j4e.jpg
ocwe8412a9jhk.jpg

The most frustrating thing is that over time, the top screen on my DSi XL has discolored and is no longer a nice ~6500K:
dsixl-white-qjk0j.jpg

The two used to be a good match.

You're right, but I like to think of bilinear filtering as just a content-unaware FXAA ;)
Bilinear filtering just blurs the image. It's not an anti-aliasing technique and is especially bad on low resolution displays like the 3DS.

The DSi XL looks really crisp. Please ignore the color differences.

DSi XL:
dsi-uykyi.jpg

n3DS XL - scaled:
3ds-fill-5pk5b.jpg

n3DS XL - 1:1 mode:
3ds-11-4aj7d.jpg

Do what I did-
Keep a DS Lite so you can play DS and GBA games.
I got rid of my XL and kept my Lite since it has the GBA slot and I love it
The d-pad on the Lite is terrible though. I remember being unable to play Resident Evil: DS at all on the Lite, as trying to hit the diagonals to turn while running would stop and rotate in place instead.

I know it would be a completely frivolous purchase but, damn, that burgundy version is... enticing. From pictures that thing's rivalling even the Metallic Red DS Lite in the look department:

lrgscaledsoffred4.jpg

But, no, I won't buy one...

...nope...

...not buying it...
It's the best-looking DS variant in my opinion.
n3dsxl-dsixl-x5kig.jpg

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Yep. It's my favourite DS. Fantastic to play on

254c4d13-56a0-44d2-a4uj9e.jpeg

a8ba1e29-b269-4909-90jk9v.jpeg
Oh man, this yellow one looks lovely. I bought the dark brown one on eBay about 3 years ago. I think it was still brand new and boxed. I haven't played it yet though. I've always preferred smaller handhelds. I'll have to try it sometime though.

I really wish I'd gotten the yellow one. They were going for pretty cheap at one time.

halcali

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR
Yeah, they're great. Best way to play DS games, alongside the smaller DSi model.

Fantastic screen quality, 1:1 pixel mapping, wonderful quality buttons/d-pad, fantastic quality stylus (even better if you get the Mega Stylus alongside the DSiXL - though bare in mind that it won't fit inside the unit itself) and fantastic battery life. Also has access to DSiWare. They blow the DS Lite completely out of the water.

Can't be beat really.

100% agree

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
The most frustrating thing is that over time, the top screen on my DSi XL has discolored and is no longer a nice ~6500K:
Do you mean it has a stronger yellow tint? DS Lites are notorious for the plastic screen covers discolouring with age, you just have to replace them to get it looking good again.