• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maverick14

Banned
Feb 16, 2019
Recently re-engaged with the site after a hiatus and it seems over-sensitivity and intolerance are peaking as also seems to be happening in the UK and US at large.

Here's what's happened to make me think this:
  • I started a thread asking people what their biggest disappointment with Nintendo would be in 2021. I posted several legitimate things that could fail to happen and asked people to vote in a poll. Cue hand wringing, offense taken, accusations that I hate the company, Nintendoomed etc ( I've owned every Nintendo console bar NES, Virtual Boy and WiiU.)
  • My thread was closed because I failed to post a meaningful OP as I hadn't wanted to set the tone for a discussion (shows what a naive member I've become). So I opened it again focused on Hopes and Fears and used my narrative on my own hopes, noting I changed tone because I had "ruffled Nintendoloving feathers" with the previous thread. Cue around 10 accusations of condescension, one request that I be banned for trolling Nintendo fans, one calling my thread bitter etc. I changed the offensive phrase to insult myself as a "mocking shmuck" instead and even then one person thought I should censor that line too.
  • I should have known something was up earlier. In a Mario 3d All Stars thread i criticised Mario Sunshine as inferior to 64 and Galaxy but noting that it still has a lot of positives...cue one response accusing me of irrational hatred.

Looking at threads in general, few now state a challenging or interesting opinion. Maybe it is just my perspective but even within threads there seems to be less discussion between members and more just people stating their own view. Maybe self censorship has now taken hold?

A few points come to mind:

1. No one should be offended when something they like is criticised or challenged to the point that challenging opinions can no longer be expressed for fear of causing offense. Criticising videogames or videogame companies should be legitimate discussion here and should be protected.

2.Maybe it is time to ban people for derailing threads by taking offense for things that do not affect them personally.

3. Have many people left Resetera because of this or have there been a lot of bans in support of people who have taken offence?

In the wider social context there are some great videos that address the wider issue of intolerance masquerading as political correctness. This is not just a Resetera problem but a much bigger one in anglo society at large:

m.youtube.com

Stephen Fry's Munk Debate on Political Correctness | Highlights

All and only the Stephen Fry clips of a winning debate against PC with Dr Jordan Peterson.Go watch the full video. I have not monetized this video, just look...

m.youtube.com

Real Time with Bill Maher: John Cleese on Political Incorrectness (HBO)

Subscribe to the Real Time YouTube: http://itsh.bo/10r5A1BBill Maher and John Cleese discuss the comedic value of human stupidity, political incorrectness an...

m.youtube.com

Konstantin Kisin Calls Out BBC Bias... On the BBC

We don't normally do clickbait but when we do, it's probably the best clickbait in the world. TRIGGERnometry co-host Konstantin Kisin calls out the BBC on th...

Curious to see responses and specifically what mods think about all of this.

Last edited:

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
While I think that this thread will, ironically, be closed as well, I feel you. When I joined this forum around three years ago it felt much more adult, now there's a huge amount of fanatism and arguing towards pretty much everything, and even people asking for bans for stuff as benign as what you said.
Feels like your query is with the gaming side.
Most likely, yeah. While you can find the odd case in EtcetEra, the gaming side is the one with the most issues. But I mean, this is a gaming forum in the end, and its main board shouldn't really feel like a YouTube comment section at times.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
XLJXsJF.gif

Jun 14, 2019
I don't really go on the gaming side very often, but I remember having to moderate GCNGB on IGN back in the day. Bless you, my son.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
hey let's make a mechanic non-technical and limited via meter

good job Nintendo, ya dorks

MLH

Oct 26, 2017
You seem to like making reactionary threads which doesn't go down well here.
Your first thread was just negative.
Your second thread hasn't been locked, you've seemingly ignored everyone that has replied nicely and only taken the jerk replies.
Chill out dude, resetera is fine, if anything people disagreeing with you proves you're wrong.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
at least we have a gimmick called 'island'

everyone loves the beach

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
I WAS HERE DAY ONE

IVE ALWAYS BEEN HERE

JUST LIKE MARIO SUNSHINE

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I am more puzzled about the fact that you posted it here rather than in Gaming which is who you have your beef with.

Especially since, as lots of people like to repeat, Etcetera is not Gaming.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Your thread was garbage, get over it.

And I say this as someone that finds the Nintendo fandom on this forum to be pretty annoying. It absolutely was a thread that was just gonna fuel fanboy nonsense.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You've gotta be very precise with your threads. Starting with the title. And especially when its about things people care about. Console wars are serious for people on gaming forums.

EDIT: When I posted a thread on dedicated handhelds, I went out of my way to reassure people I liked the Switch.

In some ways, it's an entertaining exercise in reaching people. Which you can bring back to the real world.

Or, simply choose not to engage in certain ways.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
I've made threads that got zero reply's

be happy with your lot in life

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
The irony of calling other people "over sensitive" while you create a thread to whine about how people called your threads bad is palpable

I've had my threads called bad before and I didn't feel the need to make another thread to cry about it

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While this thread is meta and on its way to being locked, I find it amusing that this forum is considered too sensitive by some, yet too permissive by others.

It doesn't necessarily mean a good balance has been struck, but maybe it's simply not possible to manage so many people at once in a satisfying way. Especially not with different viewpoints, perspectives, lifestyles and so forth.

You need some central agreement or goal, I think. And Gaming side is so different from Etcetera that I don't know how well that works.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
This is your third thread. And yet, after so much practice today, your OP is seemingly unfinished? Remember, if you're posting a thread on mobile, add the title last.

edit: indeed, our practiced OP finished his thread with an edit while I was typing

I'm no mod, but I'm of the personal opinion that your threads fell squarely under the purview of the Nintendo OT, and the redundancy of your thread contributed to it being so poorly received.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Clearly you've not been paying attention to all of our poop threads.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
So the response to your thread getting closed is to make another thread to talk about it?

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Oh boy we're getting linked to a video with Bill Maher and John Cleese, two people I really want to hear from. Yeah no, that's a big pass. No, the site does not need more useless negativity. It's already drowning in it.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Your first thread on this topic had no content. Your second was antagonistic before you edited it. And this one is metacommentary. All over a single topic about speculation and fears re. computer games that is now running fine as your second thread. Please don't do this, and read Announcements/Guide to Era re. Thread creation. This one is closed to further replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.