• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
So I recently bought a desk for my PC which up until now I've had hooked up to my TV. I've been meaning to get a 144hz display, but spending $200 on a monitor isn't gonna be in the cards for a few months for me. I saw a $120 75hz monitor that looked pretty good and was wondering if it's worth it vs saving for the 144hz monitor.

Also, if anyone has any monitor recommendations feel free to suggest them. I have an AMD card so a freesync monitor would be nice.

This is the $120 one I was looking at: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824011160

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I accidentally had my 144hz monitor switch to 60hz a few days ago and I legit thought something was messed up with my mouse or whatever! It's a game changer in terms of motion and response!

You should go for 144 (or even 120)!

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah, as others have said, 75 Hz is mostly incremental over 60, while 144 Hz -- especially combined with a good VRR range -- will give you a significantly better experience in fast-paced/reaction-focused games (and just smoother motion in everything).

Commodore64

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the type of games you play, If you play with a mouse games that have a lot of fast movements (Doom, overwatch, apex legends) 144hz is a huge advantage over 75hz. If you're only playing with a controller or games like obra dinn it's not as important.

I'll warn you in advance though once you get used to 144hz (espessially with desktop use) going back to 60 feels...weird.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have two major different voices in my head on this.

Voice 1 - 144hz is way better than 60hz-75hz. If money is no concern, yes, 144hz.

Voice 2 - Money is a concern - and building a gaming rig (or buying one etc) is SOOOOOOOOO much cheaper when you target 60(75)hz. Even more so at 1080p and not 1440/4K etc. I built 2 g4560/1050ti builds for my kids (2 years ago, right before prices went UP), and those still run wonderfully at 1080/60. So don't ruin 60hz by going to 144hz, cause you wont want to go back. :)

CozMick

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Be warned, playing at 144hz will make even 60hz a headache inducing blur and stutter fest until the end of eternity.

Make sure you have the hardware to play at such a frame rate forever. :)

nank

Banned
Feb 5, 2019
144hz
Don't get 75hz even to save money, save money enough so you can get 144hz.

They've been getting cheaper over the years, I myself have a BenQ

OP
OP
Kthulhu

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the type of games you play, If you play with a mouse games that have a lot of fast movements (Doom, overwatch, apex legends) 144hz is a huge advantage over 75hz. If you're only playing with a controller or games like obra dinn it's not as important.

I'll warn you in advance though once you get used to 144hz (espessially with desktop use) going back to 60 feels...weird.

That's what I've heard. After getting used to 60fps on PC it can be frustrating to go back to 30, can't imagine what going from 144 to 60 will be like.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I went from 60hz to 120hz G-Sync a couple months back when I upgraded my gaming laptop.

It absolutely blew my mind. So liquid smooth.

No going back man. Ever.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My Acer Predator 34 is 100hz at 3440x1440, and it's a world of difference even there compared to 60hz. 144hz is the ideal though.

Deleted member 49804

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Went from 24' FHD 60hz to 32' 1440p 75hz for 129€
definitely worth it.

But at 24' FHD I would always go for 144hz at least.

accx

Oct 28, 2017
75hz is already obsolete (and has been for like the past 5-10 years). Save your money.

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
if you play a game that you can run at a steady 100 fps++ all the time yes for sure

otherwise no

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I'll second the sentiment that 75hz will be a negligible difference. Especially compared to 144hz.

However, like others have said, take heed that once you get used to 144hz, even 60hz starts to look slow.

Obviously I can still play 60fps games just fine, especially with a controller, but it blew my mind how my eyes were basically telling me "Yeah, what you showed us before? It's kinda stuttery now".

The brain is a fickle thing.

Deleted member 11985

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, you may as well wait and go all out for 144hz, if you really want higher refresh rates.

But as an aside, I bought a 144hz monitor, and I honestly barely notice a difference from my old 60hz. And yes, I do have my display properties set to 144hz, and in game frame rates of 144fps+. I think the reason why I don't notice is because I play with my mouse sensitivity insanely high. Like I could legitimately use a coaster as a mousepad.

So that's just something to consider. I doubt very many people picked up the bad habit of playing with insanely high mouse sensitivity, but if you did, then you might want to consider a 1440p monitor, since your gameplay is still going to be a blurry mess in 144hz too.

Deleted member 33409

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
So I recently bought a desk for my PC which up until now I've had hooked up to my TV. I've been meaning to get a 144hz display, but spending $200 on a monitor isn't gonna be in the cards for a few months for me. I saw a $120 75hz monitor that looked pretty good and was wondering if it's worth it vs saving for the 144hz monitor.

Also, if anyone has any monitor recommendations feel free to suggest them. I have an AMD card so a freesync monitor would be nice.

This is the $120 one I was looking at: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824011160

I have a 75Hz monitor 1ms with free sync ASUS VG275 and it's a really good monitor. Now, many on this forum are suggesting to buy a 144Hz but what they don't tell you is that you wont see any difference if you can't run a game around 144 frames per second. Of course if you have a good PC or intend to buy a new one in the near future, then go for the 144Hz, otherwise save your money.
I highly recommend the model I have. ;)

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
But as an aside, I bought a 144hz monitor, and I honestly barely notice a difference from my old 60hz. And yes, I do have my display properties set to 144hz, and in game frame rates of 144fps+. I think the reason why I don't notice is because I play with my mouse sensitivity insanely high. Like I could legitimately use a coaster as a mousepad.

Out of interest what games do you play? I think in some games I struggle to notice the difference quite so much. But a game like CSGO I can immediately tell when its off and it's basically unplayable.

Oct 27, 2017

144 :)

Nekrono

May 17, 2018
For the longest time I was gaming in an average Asus 24" 1080p 60Hz monitor, I always wanted to get a 144Hz monitor because I was getting into competitive FPS games, etc but I didn't have the money for it, I overclocked my monitor to 74Hz and let me tell you... IT DOES make a difference, if you thought 60Hz is smooth trust me 75Hz feels like butter so yes it is a massive improvement.

However when you can't maintain a locked 75 FPS you will feel the stutters and slugishness when the frames drop even if it is around 68 FPS and it's not very pleasant.

If I were you I'd save up until I can afford a Variable Refresh Rate monitor, that's what I did and trust me it makes ALL the difference, that should be your aim, I personally went with Gsync but a good Freesync monitor should do the trick, with a VRR monitor hitting around 100 FPS makes it feel almost like 144 so as long as you can maintain around 100 you are good to go.

So bottom line what I'm trying to say is go for VRR as 100 FPS can almost feel as good and even better than a 144Hz monitor with no VRR, it is incredibly smooth. Without VRR I'd say stick to 75Hz for the moment or try to overclock your current monitor to that refresh rate as you won't spend much money or anything at all.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I would never achieve 144 fps (or +100fps) in the games I play, on the graphics setting I aim for, with the hardware I have (GTX 1070). The Witcher 3 with everything on ultra and on 1440p is barely hitting the 60fps. I also don't want to make my games look like ass just to reach 144. Smoothness is not everything when the game's missing many visual features.

I'd recommend going for a Free Sync monitor instead.

And I mean, lots of people are right, when they tell you, you don't want to go back. But, it's right there, you don't want to go back, means you have to experience it in the first place. Maybe you just shouldn't. I mean, of course there's this feeling of 'missing out' something, but are you bothered and annoyed by your 60Hz monitor/TV? Is it really something you want?

Deleted member 34239

Banned
Nov 24, 2017
Be warned, playing at 144hz will make even 60hz a headache inducing blur and stutter fest until the end of eternity.

Make sure you have the hardware to play at such a frame rate forever. :)
Seriously. It's super jarring when I play in the 60 fps range on pc now, and it takes me a couple of days adjusting when I play a console game. 144hz is so, so nice
The hyperbole in this thread is mildly amusing.

Serastros

Mar 3, 2018
144Hz is preferable, BUT can your PC get that many frames out of a game? What I mean: even if you have 144Hz monitor, but you can run your game at 30fps only, the monitor wont help...

AvernOffset

May 6, 2018
144hz is amazing, and I think it's well worth saving up for that, assuming you have a graphics card that's going to be able to handle it.

Heads up though, I've found that a lot of games have problems when you try to run them at >60hz. I've had more tech problems since upgrading to a 144hz monitor than I have in probably the last decade. With that in mind, I'd say go for 60hz or 144hz. 75 feels like it would just be asking for tech problems without anywhere near the level of improvement that 144hz offers.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
75Hz is going to be a negligible difference, whereas 144Hz will be night and day.
Not true.

I'm using one of those LG 38" panels with a low motion blur mode for 75hz. It's remarkably clean and responsive. It feels much better than 60hz.

144hz is better but, thus far, it's been very very difficult to find a monitor at the size and resolution that I want which can support higher refresh rates.

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
I'm curious -- my screens are nominally 60Hz, but in the past I've been able to run them at 100Hz from futzing around with the nVidia settings panel. Will that also impact output framerates?

myzhi

Oct 27, 2017
Variable refresh rate more important than higher hz. I play Ass Creed Odysessy @ 70-80fps and RE2R @120fps. Both run smooth to me.

Deleted member 11985

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Out of interest what games do you play? I think in some games I struggle to notice the difference quite so much. But a game like CSGO I can immediately tell when its off and it's basically unplayable.

In the past I played TF2 and Quake Champions. Now I only play FFXIV.

I can notice the higher refresh rate if I'm sitting back and not really controlling the camera. Like if I'm auto running in FFXIV. But when I'm in control of the camera, it's basically non-stop twitching. It's a bad habit that I've been reluctant to break for some stupid reason.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I'll say while I'm hardly any expert on these matters overclocking my monitor to 75hz made 60hz feel "bad" so 75hz can already make a difference.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Not true.

I'm using one of those LG 38" panels with a low motion blur mode for 75hz. It's remarkably clean and responsive. It feels much better than 60hz.

144hz is better but, thus far, it's been very very difficult to find a monitor at the size and resolution that I want which can support higher refresh rates.
Interesting! I stand corrected then.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Not true.

If you're into LMB (which I presume is some pulsing backlight mode) 75 Hz is a good refresh rate, since for that to work you really need FPS consistently at or above Hz, so lower is better -- but it has to be above 72 Hz or so to hit the flicker fusion threshold for most people.

But given the price range the OP is talking about I don't think ULMB is a consideration.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I actually have found going from a 60hz monitor to a freesync 75Hz to be a nice little upgrade, but I suspect the freesync makes the biggest difference. I assume the kind of PC I'd need for regular 144Hz in new games costs way more than I'm prepared to go for anyway.