• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

If you see that a game you're interested in gets a 7/10 review, how do you perceive this?

• 7/10 is a good review score

Votes: 1,267 44.3%
  • 7/10 is an average review score

Votes: 1,248 43.6%
  • 7/10 is a bad review score

Votes: 207 7.2%
  • A more nuanced answer (Leave a comment)

Votes: 139 4.9%

• Total voters

fossi8

One Winged Slayer
Apr 22, 2018
Reviews are so polarized,, depending on who is publishing a 7 could be a good game or can be disastrous,,, can you imagine a Sony game on the below 8's being praised? Not me.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I'm assuming you mean in videogame terms, then 7 is a bad score.

This is how the overall gaming community, and reviewers, see it. You can disagree, as I do, but that's how it is. Just do this experiment: think of an extreme hyped game. Think of it getting a 7 from IGN.

Or think if games like The Last of Us, GTA, Elder Scroll, Zelda, etc, got a 70 metacritic score.

Oct 25, 2017
C is for cookie, and it's good enough for me.

More nuanced answer, it's perfectly passable entertainment that some will find amazing, and others, fairly rote but fun. Plenty will defend it and their time spent with it, but there will often be discussions as to its merits or flaws.

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
I think the GOTY, GOTG and GOAT obsession made people too crazy about this kind of stuff. For me, there are games that are "Good" and games that are "Bad".

A "good" game is the kind of game which I would eventually pick and play, regardless of it's faults.
A "bad" game is the kind of game which I wouldn't have the slightest interest on it. And there always some 10/10 on it, like The Last of Us 2.

Saying that, I didn't played Ratched & Clank: Rift Apart, but looking only at some videos, it's easier to understand why the game is a 7/10. Generic characters, lifeless ost and repetitive gameplay. The only thing that impressed me was the technical aspect.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
7/10 means I probably won't buy it until it's dirt cheap. But then I will most likely not have enough time to come around to play it so it will rot in my backlog.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It's good, and I think as a whole, society needs to not cast the educational scale to ratings for product reviews, where "A" or "B" grades are all that really grabs respect.

IMO, 5 should be absolutely middle of the road, bog-standard mediocre. Not bad, not great; functionally adequate. I find it more mathematically pure. It's only 4 and below that should give pause. 6 should even be a valid, slightly positive score.

By that logic, 7 is a good score.

Also, 10/10 should never mean perfection (where one might argue that it should never be used because no game is perfect) -- it should just denote that the reviewer had an exceptionally good time.

Oct 29, 2017
7 is good. 6 is average, 5 has some major flaws but can still be a fun ride. 4 and below is bad. 8 is very good, 9-10 are excellent.

Any notion that a 7 is average is silliness, and completely invalidates anything below a 6 really.

Compbros

Oct 30, 2017
1 - terrible
2 - bad
3 - not good
4 - subpar
5 - average
6 - ok
7 - good
8 - great
9 - amazing
10 - perfect

Edit: Changed 6 from "mediocre" to "ok".

Last edited:

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Saying that, I didn't played Ratched & Clank: Rift Apart, but looking only at some videos, it's easier to understand why the game is a 7/10. Generic characters, lifeless ost and repetitive gameplay. The only thing that impressed me was the technical aspect.

You didn't play it…. But you know the characters are generic….

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
is the assumption here that you will own every game?
Is that what you get from my post? A 7/10 game for me means a game that does something right and I might be intrigued to buy it when the price is right. I bought many of these games on sale thinking I will eventually play them. "Eventually" turns into 3 years, 5 years, a decade etc. I unfortunately have to ignore most of these games since there will always new games coming out that I want to play more. It's not a financially responsible habit but it's my habit nonetheless.

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
As others have pointed out, on a 1 - 10 scale, most only use the 5 - 10 where 5 is trash fire, 7 is ehh, 10 is goat.

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I want to say it's a bad score, but only because it's average, but average means different things to different people. To me, an average experience typically isn't worth spending time on; especially for games, where an average experience can overstay its welcome by... tens of hours. YMMV of course, but I think it's a bad score and I would neither want to play nor recommend games I thought were 7/10.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For most outlets that isn't EDGE 7/10 is not a good score.

If a game scores mostly 7s from major gaming media you know that it is a stinker.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Yes.

7/10 = "umm. It is whatever you think it is." It is the score that means all things to all people.

Pyccko

Oct 25, 2017
depends. if they're using the entire 1-10 scale it'd be above average, but since most places basically just use the latter half of the scale it turns a 7/10 into a 3/5, thus average

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
I'm proud of Ars Technica's stance on review scores, the same now as it was in 2010:

arstechnica.com

Game reviews on Metacritic: why we avoid inclusion

Metacritic can bring readers and more links to your reviews, so why wouldn't …

The above article goes into detail about how even Metacritic, at one point in time, had its own stance on interpreting outlets' scores:

"THQ pulled this... this was funny," one of the hosts said. Their reviewer received an early copy of the new THQ UFC title early for review. THQ, oddly, gave some rules about when the review could go live. The review could be published early if the Metacritic score was above 85 percent, but if it was under that minimum the review couldn't be released until the game's release. "This is not just THQ; this is very common," I was told. The score failed to hit the magic number, so the review was not released as of the recording of the podcast.

Here's where things get slightly crazy. The score that GameShark gave the game in the review, according to the podcast, was a B+. That, according to Metacritic, does not equal an 85 percent. Take a look at the FAQ from Metacritic: it breaks down how scores given by review outlets are interpreted. Giving a game a B+ may seem like a good score, but Metacritic actually takes that to mean you gave the game an 83. An A- would have been necessary to equal the 85 percent. If you're willing to up your score to what Metacritic considers an 85, then the company is willing to let you release your review earlier.

Compbros

Oct 30, 2017
Well, there are some which are good on breaking the monotony by adding elements and situation towards it, but as I said, it was an impression by someone which never had interest on the series.

I'm simply saying that just going "repetitive" shouldn't be used as a negative criticism considering that's every game in existence.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
7/10 is good and generally always has meant good. It has never meant it's a hot pick, but it's never meant 'bad' either. Some people have high standards, which is cool, but too often leads to hyperbole of calling games trash.

Compbros

Oct 30, 2017
I dunno why people transfer the number scale into a school grading scale. A 75 for a video game should not equate to a "C", which is "average". That's a perfectly good game. The problem of that transfer is that anything 59 or below is a failing or F grade, which doesn't take advantage of the whole scale. Out of 100 a C, the average, should be 50, not 75.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
I think you're misunderstanding. He's saying the average game is not a 5/10 but rather more like 7/10, ie most games are pretty good but not great, and the distribution of game scores is left skewed, where the most common value lies to the right of the middle of the scale.
The scale is completely arbitrary, is what you're missing. How you map a normal distribution to a scale is entirely up to the reviewer.

They choose to map the distribution onto a 1-10 scale such that the bulk of the games fall on a 7, but they could just as easily have picked 5, or 3 or any other number for that – it's arbitrary. Saying "the average game is a 7 because the quality distribution is such that the bulk of games are pretty good and pretty good is a 7" is just a convoluted way of saying "the average game is 7 because the score we give the average game is a 7". It's tautological.

Last edited:

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
A 7/10 game, reads, to me, that they're doing something niche that not everyone will enjoy, and also have some rough spots.

Games like: OG NieR, Earth Defense Force, Demon's Souls, Armored Core, Gothic, etc...

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
7 is good, 8 is great, 9 is amazing, 10 is a masterpiece. 6 is okay. 5 is mediocre. 4 is bad. 3 and below is for unplayable, broken pieces of crap.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Depends on the game, the more anticipated it is, the more torches and pitchforks people tend to bring out if they ever give a game a 7/10, as a certain Sterling knows.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
7 is good, it could mean more of the same but still fun to play.

I put 1000+ hours into a 7/10 game called Destiny.

stop listening to reviewers people, they are not you, think for yourself.

Xumbrega

Oct 25, 2017
Brasil
Good.

I've always seen the scale like

5 - Average
6 - Above Average
7 - Good
8 - Great
9 - Excellent
10 - Masterpiece

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
When I think of "7/10", I think of:

Something that might be cool but has enough jank/technical problems to turn some off of it.

A game with a really dull story or protagonist, but still is decent enough in the gameplay department to snag some fans (like Watchdogs).

Sports game sequels that aren't worse than their predecessor, but only have incremental improvements.

A decently done "clone" of a more well known franchise.

Edit: No idea what is typical in the review score world of 2021. Can't say I've paid attention to reviews for many years, except for the occasional Era review thread. They don't do much for me in a world of Live Streams and Lets Plays.

I find a fair number of people who get emotional over reviews have a rather trinary scale. A game is GOTY, very good, or trash.

Last edited:

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Video game ratings basically use the Net Promoter Scale (NPS) system of scoring, so it's average but should realistically be considered to be good.

LonelyGay

May 18, 2019
It always annoys me when I see critics give a game a 7/10. To me, that is the copout score, where you really don't want to commit to an honest perspective.

IGN is guilty of this all the time, but they hide their true 7/10's as 8/10's. They hand out 8/10's like candy on Halloween.