• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is 4K (or below) good enough for you?

• Yes

Votes: 1,612 96.2%
  • No

Votes: 64 3.8%

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2017
Yep. 1080 is good enough for me to be honest. I like 4k in games, but it's far from essential, I'd rather the extra resources went into framerate or fancy graphics.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I think 1440p on my 32" monitor is a good pixel density. Of course I might change my mind in the future if higher resolution displays and the requisite hardware to drive them get cheaper, but I'm content for now.

WyLD iNk

Oct 27, 2017
Here, duh.
I can still handle SD. The way I see it, bragging about being able to only handle 4K or higher is akin to bragging about a bizarre handicap.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
1440p or higher is fine with me as long as peformance is above 40 fps and the visuals justify it. Anything lower is too low of a resolution for my bad eyes.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
Hell 1080p is good enough for me. Yes I finally got a 4k tv and if games can run on it at 4k I'm not stopping it. Still if a game or movie is under 4k I don't really care. I don't pay extra for 4k Netflix and I can easily watch sports that are shown at 720. I manage and it's fine.

Flygon

Oct 28, 2017
4K's great. No reason not to go 8K if the cost of fabricating the panels is affordable enough, though.

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
What a weird poll. You're basically asking "are you satisfied with the maximum resolution you can get in content right now"

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Games still look stellar on my 50" 1080p Panasonic plasma.

4K does look better, but a lot of Sony's games have terrific IQ even at 1080p (e.g God of War).

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Unless I'm forced on a native res display that has that doesn't really grab me to reach for it.

Easier to enjoy 1200-1800p with really good frames than bother with it. Only time I use it is with games capped at 60 cause I have a tone of power not being used.

DaCocoBrova

Oct 27, 2017
Playing anything at a locked 4 K without compromise just cannot be beat. However, even on the best hardware, that's not always possible. MS developed games on PC seems to have no trouble with this.

Blayde

Oct 27, 2017
Kentucky
I can't play on anything under 32k. I've had to stop playing video games all together until technology catches up with my eyes. Once I realized that 4K times 2 is 8k, then 8k times 2 is 16k then 16k times 2 was 32k... I just can't fathom how anyone could bare to look at anything else. I mean imagine realizing that 4K isn't the limit and STILL thinking 4K is good enough. It's so blurry, I mean if I can't make out the individual atoms in a strand of hair it's literally unplayable.

Drakhyrr

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
With a 4K tv and a 1440p monitor, 1080p is a little too low nowadays. I can play at 180p, all right (well, I do play PS2 games at their native res from time to time), but the problems in the image are immediately noticeable.

1440p is just fine though, even at the 4k TV. And then I can't really see a difference between 1800p and native 4k. I drop the resolution to 1800p even in games my card can run at 4k, just so it runs colder, consumes less power and leaves some more power available if the game eventually requires it at some point.

Ultra

Oct 30, 2017
I've never owned a UHD panel so FHD is all I know. I've never felt the urge to upgrade though, so yes? It's good enough for me.

Although, I did just get a PS5 and will probably upgrade for that. It's a lot more powerful than my PC hardware and now that console games are running at higher resolutions, now's the time to upgrade. Kinda got a reason to upgrade now.

I imagine for me specifically as all I've ever really played on the last decade is 24-27inch FHD monitors that the jump will be quite big going to a 4k monitor.

DAHGAMING

Oct 26, 2017
I am pretty much done with wanting more now. I would like 4k to be the aim the coming years, as we get to the next consoles and graphics cards id rather them aim for performance and graphical upgrades.

OP
OP
Stowaway Silfer

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
to be honest, I would prefer 4k to be the new standard for a few generations. 8 is def not worth it with current price of large screen tv's/ once we can have tv's the size of walls at a very affordable prices, 8k and up would makes sense.
It would be nice to have a few generations of focusing on higher framerates and/or graphical settings. Though I can pretend to live in that world on PC at least lol.

I mean there's two separate questions. Whether it's "enough" and whether it's "worth it".

I don't think 4K is nearly enough. I think in the future we'll be playing at several times that resolution, and it'll be great. The pixel density on televisions is garbage and only mitigated by the average viewing distance. Nevertheless, there's meaningful gains that we should look forward to in 8K (and far far beyond 8K for that matter).

It's just we don't have the hardware for this yet. 4K isn't worth it if it means a game has to run at 30fps for example. I remember seeing games benchmarked at 800x600 as a kid, and 1080p was an exotic exaggerated resolution which was cool but not worth the massive performance penalties it entailed. 4K is currently at about the threshold where modern GPUs are starting to deal with it somewhat fine, but it's still gonna be a while for affordable cards to get there. Add in the new push for RT, and 4K being runnable with decent performance on affordable GPUs seems like it's another 2-3 GPU generations away.

But once we clear that line, it'll be time to set our sights on doing better.
Fair points.
Why is OP talking about 8K if 4K is barely starting to become mainstream?
Because people buying new TVs now are probably getting 4K by default due to how cheap it's becoming, so adoption grows. And because stuff is already starting to be marketed for 8K or at least as 8K compatible.
What a weird poll. You're basically asking "are you satisfied with the maximum resolution you can get in content right now"
Man it's crazy how some of y'all are so put off by the idea of asking people if they are content with what they have before the huge marketing blitz for the next thing begins.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Depends on the screen size, though there are many other factors. I've seen games that look blurry on a 4K TV, but I've also seen 1080p games that look sharp. It depends on the AA solution and some other things, I guess.

First of all, I think every UI needs to be 4K for next gen games. That I can notice - and it usually doesn't look good on a 4K TV. As for gameplay itself, I'd say something between 4K and 1080p is quite enough. Also, checkerboard rendering and similar techniques are just great.

I don't think games should be "real 4K" this generation on consoles and I see little benefit in it - but I also think they should be above 1080p. Again, this is for 4K TVs with large screen sizes. A 1080p gaming monitor is fine, but things look different there.

As for 8K, I can only see the benefit in some TV-based upscaling to make a 4K image slightly sharper in some ways (and these TVs come with nice upscalers). As for actual 8K content - that is not something we need for a long while (until, one day, the performance cost is so low, that it falls into "why not" category - which won't be anytime soon.)

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
For a monitor, 1080p / 1440p high refresh rate is plenty. If I was on a TV though, I'd want either native 4k or 1440p that is upscaled well.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
4K will be good enough as long as my current TV is alive. The last one lasted more than 10 years, and it was HD ready ^^.

My monitor is still 1080p though, and still alive, so...

Kadey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Southeastern PA
55 and lower, 1440p and 1080p is perfectly fine. I think 4k doesn't really matter all that much until you get 65 and above. On a 27 monitor, 1080p is way more than enough. 8k is useless and I don't see the early hype. Would need like a 82 and above to even matter.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
For now it is okay. In several years we will likely start pushing more towards 8K or 4K but with much higher refresh rate.

Even at 4K we still need to do antialiasing trickery to make things look nicer. At 8K, that more or less is not a thing anymore.

Mr.Vic20

Oct 31, 2017
I'm all for the advancement of resolution as things like VR will benefit greater, but 4K is still really hard to pull off in an open world game with all the bells and whistles. 8K, outside of a select few titles on very expensive hardware, is a novelty. 4 years from now though, sure!

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
No interest what so ever in 8k.

4k is more than enough. In fact I'm not even sure 4K is needed right now. A game like Demon's Souls looks absolutely incredible and I think it's 1440p.

kyo2004

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bogotá D.C.
Yes... I don't have the media or the machine to even properly enjoy 4K (and not even talk about the $$$ aspect). 1080p is fine for me at the moment.

chespace

Hearthstone Esports Global Franchise Lead
Oct 27, 2017
Just upgraded to 4K gaming on my 3080 a couple weeks ago and I absolutely can't even look at 1440p, much less 1080p on this new monitor.

Not sure I need 8K, but Cyberpunk in 4K at near 60fps on ultra raytracing feels properly next-gen.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
55 and lower, 1440p and 1080p is perfectly fine. I think 4k doesn't really matter all that much until you get 65 and above. On a 27 monitor, 1080p is way more than enough. 8k is useless and I don't see the early hype. Would need like a 82 and above to even matter.

scaling res isn't useless you get way cleaner lines and better fx to say the least. reduces shimmering as well. This vid makes it clear at about 10:30 and beyond of the benefit.

You don't need 82" either to take advantage of downsampling, unless your monitor is utter shit in DPI there are benefits. Whether people want to pay for them is another matter.

At this point in gaming if you got the extra power why not. I say this about to test a 3rd party DSR tool for 10-14k on 3080 in older games.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Above 1440p is my sweet spot. I prefer 1440p 60FPS (using proper TAA or DLSS) than 4K 30 at this point.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
We never know until we have it, but I think resolutions like 8k will forever remain a gimmick.