• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

out_of_touch

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 50/50 right now. X1's exclusives are impressive, on the other hand next gen is coming soon with BC. What do you think? Feel free to share your experiences buying a console at the end of its generation!

doyneamite

Oct 26, 2018
If you can afford it, I would wait. You'll be able to play them all on the new system and most of them will probably get updates to look and run better too! :)

ymgve

Oct 31, 2017
Unless there's a single game you NEED to play now, no. Wait for the next gen. Almost all exclusives are available on PC anyway, so if you got an above average computer you can already play them there.

OGlol

Jun 4, 2018
Considering the new xbox won't have next gen exclusives for a few years, sure.

learning

Jan 4, 2019
I think you should just buy the next gen Xbox assuming it has BC and you can afford it.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm 50/50 right now. X1's exclusives are impressive, on the other hand next gen is coming soon with BC. What do you think? Feel free to share your experiences buying a console at the end of its generation!
I have an Xbox One X that I plan on shifting to a second room when the XSX comes out. I'd say it's still okay to get a One X because I believe the price has dropped recently.

If you buy a One X now and an XSX at launch, they will play. most of the same games. This means you can play Halo in high fidelity in one room and continue your game (on lesser hardware) in another.

If you have the money to spare and you intend to use the One X as a second system to the XSX, then you will still get mileage out of it for a while.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It seems like most if not all games from the first year of the series x are going to be released on the One X, and soon it will be cheap to buy, so if you really don't want to spend much money on a console go for it

I'm glad with my Xbox One, even though its first party catalogue is weaker that Sony/Nintendo, they still have some must play exclusives, and also is so fucking great to have most of your 360 games avaliable

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's a good time to buy a Xbox One or PS4, given that their replacements are coming in just a matter of months with full backwards compatibility.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I'd wait for Xbox Series X (or S) if you can. If you can't wait, then the price for an Xbox One X is pretty reasonable, and I suspect that you'd be able to trade it in toward an Xbox Series X later to recoup a significant portion of your cost.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
You can probably get an S for damn cheap in the coming months, and as a 4K media player/1080p gaming machine - it's very solid. Plus a good bunch of content on Game Pass.

But if you're at all interested in next-gen stuff, just wait until November.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
If you get it for some sort of discount, sure. I suspect there won't be a big push on next gen titles until 2022.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I'll be the odd man out and say... maybe. I agree with everyone above, it's definitely not the most economical choice, but assuming you're stuck at home like a lot of people right now, it might be the best one in terms of time. I know I have a bunch of free time now that I wouldn't usually have, so it's a great chance for me to work through my backlog and catch up on games I've been meaning to play/finish. The world is on pause for the most part now, and who knows if all this "free" time will still be a thing come November or December or whenever the new consoles launch.

If there's a game you've been meaning to play and you have the money to drop, now is as good a time as ever.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
It depends. If game pass has a whole bunch of shit you haven't played and want to play, you'd get a great value. Like there isn't much else to do in quarantine.

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
Just wait until the announce XSX or the rumored XSS price. If you can afford it, wait until those if not, go for the XB1.

Squirrel09

Nov 4, 2017
Depends on your budget... If you're locked to the ~$300 budget. You can get a one X at the Microsoft store right now. If you can go up to $500, I'd wait.

If you want to wait a month or so to see if Lockheart is real, then make the decision then.

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
Do you plan on buying the new Xbox at or close to the launch date? If so, I would wait.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There was a deal of a the year for an Xbox One X was it $200 or $300? I swear it sold out instantly, but that is what i'd be looking for in price. I love the thing with Gamepass.

Albert Penello

Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Redmond, WA
Pros: Any game you buy will likely work with the new system and some may even have upgrades (either inherent in HW or updated by the developer) for next-gen.
Cons: The HW is basically useless this holiday unless you want an extra 4K DVD player

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
If you can give it a second life as a UHD Blu-ray player, then maybe.

It depends on how much use you'll give it, and when do you plan on buying the SeX.

If you are not going to use it that much, I'd wait.

Considering the new xbox won't have next gen exclusives for a few years, sure.

Nice trolling

Phokal

Oct 25, 2017
WI
Which X1 exclusives are you excited to finally play? With backwards compatibility, and you've already waited this long, and we don't even know how much money you would be saving (X1SX might be cheaper than we think), why now?

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
it`s a amazing plataform but if you can wait for XSX, just wait, it`s not like you would left a entire generation behind

Oct 27, 2017
Sure. You can get an all digital for pretty cheap and stock up on gamepass ultimate, then you get another 1-2 years of exclusive games

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't, unless there are games you want to play right now. We're half a year away from next gen. Better to just spend a bit more and get a Series X to get more mileage out of it.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
I'd just get a one X and not a regular one S if you can.

But just save up for XsX is the better choice.

Fall Damage

Oct 31, 2017
Those titles you want to play should run better on the new hardware. Future titles will run/look better while others won't be supported on Xbox One at all. It's such a big leap in CPU and storage tech, I would 100% wait.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
If you can afford it, wait. Even if the games are the same the gameplay experience will be much better on the XSX/Lockhart.