• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is 2017 or 2018 a stronger year for GOTY?

Votes: 309 52.3%

Votes: 282 47.7%

• Total voters

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Same could easily be said about GoW and RDR2. See Matthewmatosis' vid on GoW which came out not long after its launch.

I honestly take Matthewmatosis, Mark Brown and ilk videos with a grain of salt.

Making critiques, no matter how excellent a title is simply is what they do. I find their arguments can range from decent to poor as well with the only similarity being large word count. I've certainly read good criticism on God of War elsewhere (on this very forum even), but they're one of the last places I'd look for sensible criticism or a fair gauge of general Game of the Year backlash actually.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Making critiques, no matter how excellent a title is simply is what they do. I find their arguments can range from decent to poor as well with the only similarity being large word count. I've certainly read good criticism on God of War elsewhere (on this very forum even), but they're one of the last places I'd look for sensible criticism or a fair gauge of general Game of the Year backlash actually.

I mean he is just one example, as you say many others don't like the game which was my point overall. I was also personally surprised about how quickly the tide turned on RDR2 on this site for example.

But yeah a 'backlash' so to speak isn't unique to a BotW, Odyssey, GoW or RDR2 because it happened to all of them clearly. Therefore using that against one and not another is pointless IMO.

Oct 25, 2017
Basically every year has fantastic games now. I'd probably pick 2017 over 18, but both 2015 and 16 over 17.

2019 looks incredibly strong too.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
I mean he is just one example, as you say many others don't like the game which was my point overall. I was also personally surprised about how quickly the tide turned on RDR2 on this site for example.

But yeah a 'backlash' so to speak isn't unique to a BotW, Odyssey, GoW or RDR2 because it happened to all of them clearly. Therefore using that against one and not another is pointless IMO.

In that case, I agree. Every game will have it's fair share of genuine issues or complaints that will arrive after the honeymoon period. It can't be argued for one and not another.

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely a weaker year. I cannot name a single GOTY contender from last year that I didn't like. This year I didn't enjoy God of War, which is being considered the best by a lot outlets.

Deleted member 11943

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bad year. Can't wait for everyone to realize Red Dead is garbage.

I suffered through podcasts for month.

God of War was ok. There isn't much else I played, other than the best games of 2017

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I think Red Dead was significantly better than any game last year (best game of this generation for sure), but I think overall last year was a stronger year.

Deleted member 11214

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Personally, yes. Terrible year for AAA aside from Monster Hunter World and Smash, both of which still do very little new but are rather just "perfected" iterations in long-running series.

Still a lot of great games, though. Tetris Effect, Return of the Obra Dinn and Astro Bot, my top three of this year, are definitely all somewhere on my all-time longlist.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
There's literally no game this year that gives me GOTY vibes. Not even close, and I've tried most of the contenders especially all the console ones.

The best game this year for me would be Destiny: Forsaken or Fortnite: Save the World, but one is an expansion and the other is a GAAS.

Jul 24, 2018
Definitely, but I'd say 2018 was the year of indies. Obra Dinn, Pillars 2, Shibuya Scramble, Deltarune, The Missing etc.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
For me it was. Maybe because I didn't play RDR2 or GoW. The only GotY nominees I played this year were Spider-Man and MHW. While they were really good, they didn't leave the same impression Persona 5 or Nier did last year.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
As is the case for Red Dead and GoW. Pretty common for goty contenders.

I really don't think GOW will suffer the same kind of hype deflation. RDR2 might be too early to call but I don't believe it will deflate either.

For me it was. Maybe because I didn't play RDR2 or GoW. The only GotY nominees I played this year were Spider-Man and MHW. While they were really good, they didn't leave the same impression Persona 5 or Nier did last year.

Get Dragon Quest XI.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
For me personally, yes.

Though since I'm not a fan of Rockstars game design and hate Kratos (but game looks amazing) I was mostly left with some high end indies and even if they were great.. BotW, SMO, Nier, XC2 and Hollow Knight are in my book a tier above 2018.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
I didn't play Breath of the Wild and not sure when I'll have time to take it on. Seems daunting.

But God of War is a TLOU-tier GOTG title. Red Dead even though I have many problems with it, is an insane open world.
Astro Bot is a VR platforming classic. Dragon Quest XI is either equal to or better than Persona 5.
Spider-Man is also rad. Tetris Effect is objectively brilliant. And then Monster Hunter came out this year too smh. It was insane.

I love Horizon, P5, Yakuza 0, but 2018 seems to have a lot more going on.
What's crazy is 2019 will probably beat 2018, especially if TLOU2 makes it in.

JustInsane

Oct 27, 2017
2017 was on another level compared to 2018 for me. Only thing I really cared about this year was GoW.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Breath of the Wild was the only Game of the Generation contender last year. God of War and Red Dead 2 are in that conversation, however.

Then there's games like Celeste and Tetris Effect. I think overall 2018 is much stronger, actually.

Majora85

Nov 21, 2017
Zelda, Mario and Edith Finch were my top 3 last year and they would honestly be my top 3 were they released this year as well. RDR2 would probably come in at 4 though.

It doesn't help that I thought God of War and Spider-Man were both solid but unremarkable. If you loved those two games the landscape probably looks quite different.

Sindee

Banned
Oct 26, 2018

That's how I feel about big websites nowadays: IGN, Gamespot, Polygon, Kotaku, etc. It has gotten to the point the point that I dismiss anything they have to say and even avoid threads that directly link to their articles. Is hard to find an outlet or critic that is creditable enough for me to trust. Matthewmatosis is one who's critique I take into consideration. And I'm more than happy with my choice of skipping GoW because of his critique and Digtal Foundry's performance analysis.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not sure which question to answer (the poll rephrases what's suggested above). In any case, it's subjective. I'd say 2018 is stronger for "real contenders", as the title says, because most notable games in 2017 never had a chance to begin with. Talk about Nier a year ago or Spider-Man nowadays is, I think, superficial. There's an upper level and this year there are two of those, in direct confrontation. Mario's a popular choice, but not a dominating, award winner, while Horizon did more than anyone could expect for a new IP against a giant like Zelda, which hit the zeitgeist after Nintendo's low point. The rest are high-quality but niche options, as much as we or any group could like them.

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For me yeah. 2017 was better.

Mostly because GoW nor RDR2 appealed me very much.

I loved Monster Hunter World and Spiderman this year. But last year had Nier, Zelda, Persona 5, Gravity Rush 2 and even PUBG.

Last edited:

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I like going through post histories of users here and getting validated when they turn out to be single console owners of the mainstream console.

The answer is 2017 was stronger obviously.

Unless people vote for 2018 because it's harder to pick a clear winner. It can kind of go either way between GRIS, Spider-Man and Detroit for me. All great but not superlative games.

Zelda, Nier and Mario were easily better than everything that released this year.

feyder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm drawing a blank I'm what 2017 had. Danganronpa v3 I guess...2018 has been way better.

Flevance

Oct 28, 2017
2017 stands side by side along with the best years in the entire gaming industry, 2018 doesn't

Borowski

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Jun 24, 2018
I like going through post histories of users here and getting validated when they turn out to be single console owners of the mainstream console.

The answer is 2017 was stronger obviously.

Unless people vote for 2018 because it's harder to pick a clear winner. It can kind of go either way between GRIS, Spider-Man and Detroit for me. All great but not superlative games.

Zelda, Nier and Mario were easily better than everything that released this year.

GoW and RDR 2

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Not me for, I would definitely take 2018.

This is all subjective, but Red Dead Redemption 2 and Dragon Quest XI are two of the best games I've ever played and they're far better than anything from 2017 for me.

And while I personally didn't care for God Of War, it's obviously made a huge impact and will be thought of as a classic in the future by many, many people.

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah 2018 is weaker. Hollow Knight, Nioh and Nex Machina are better than every 2018 game to me.

Borowski

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Jun 24, 2018
Oh look another one.

If RDR2 even makes my top 8 this year, it will round out the bottom. GoW is a good game. I'd give it an 8.

Yes, let's dismiss two of the biggest games of this gen

One being the best open-world and the other the best semi linear game

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
I found it much harder to pick a GOTY this year. Last year had some bright shining stars, but there was a huge gulf in quality between the blockbusters and everything else. The quality of games across this year has been extremely consistent. Lots of stuff came out in 2018 that I love to about the same degree.

Last year was the Night in the Woods show for me, whereas I had to do some actual thinking this time around.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe my feelings are a bit skewed and considering Hollow Knight launched on consoles in 2018 so I'm counting it (that's when I bought it), but 2018 was it and not even close.

Tito

Oct 28, 2017
I agree with this. I don't see any game in 2017/2018 being as good as BotW except Sonic Mania and Sonic Mania Plus.
To me it's not that the game is even that great, but it's definitely the Mario 64 moment of the generation.

Paraphrasing the Girlfriend review of it, playing BotW makes you realize how constrained you are in other games, I can go back, enjoy all of them, but will forever wonder why doesn't the environment interact with spells or with the character, why the invisible wall, why I can't go everywhere at any time, why enemies don't react to environment, why the tree don't react to an explosion or why I can't approach some situation creatively, etc.

Following the Mario 64 example, it made Crash Bandicoot and every other 3D platformer released before obsolete, and even if you go to the Crash (or Croc, Tomb Raider, or whatever previous game) formula, and make a new expertly crafted game, that may be even better than Mario 64, as a game, like Crash 3 (I don't agree with this, but C3 is a great game on its own right), the game still feels outdated.

You can like Crash, you can like it more than Mario 64, it's a valid opinion, but you can't say the impact was greater, or that the games were more important.

That's what happens with BotW, it has problems, there are many open world games that are great, and some find better, but IMO, they are following an obsolete formula, because BotW changed the bar, changed the landscape of that genre.

I'm not even that huge BotW player, in my house we play Mario Odyssey much more (lots of kids), but the impact of the game is undeniable, and will become more and more apparent as time goes on.

This year, we didn't have any game that changed our revolutionized VGs like BotW. That doesn't mean they are bad games, this year we had tons of great games, much more than last year, but none like BotW, and if that has been released this year, it would have swept the GOTYs, no doubt.