• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is 1440p a noticeable upgrade over 1080p?

• Yes

Votes: 1,345 89.8%
  • No

Votes: 153 10.2%

• Total voters

Deleted member 2441

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When you're playing older games on PC, do you have a second monitor that's not ultrawide you play on, or do you look for fixes? Or is it not as much of an issue when it's not supported as I think it is?

I have my previous monitor yeah, it's a really good Acer Predator. 1440p144hz (165hz with an overclock) IPS panel with Gsync. But if there's a fix for ultrawide I prefer to use that so I'll try and find them, even if it means some modding.

Thankfully more and more games support it these days, and a lot of older games have mods/fixes for the games, though HUDs can be stretched of course.

IPS is garbage though

Maybe it's a preference thing but for me modern IPS panels are the gold standard. TNs are great for super high refresh rates but colour accuracy is just awful in my opinion. VA panels are a step up in that department but suffer in viewing angles.

Modern IPS panels have low response times, great viewing angles and fantastic colour accuracy. You just have to deal with the lower contrast and perhaps some light bleed depending on quality control. So if that's super important to you then sure, go VA. But for me, especially since I work on my screens as well, IPS are great.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
2994489-3o85xh8f9aapcfroes.gif

funo

Oct 27, 2017
As I see it, 1440p is the only viable option on PC atm if you want best FPS and image quality at the same time.
You cannot hit constant 60 FPS @ 4k (let alone 100+ FPS) with current hardware (at a somewhat sane price point at least) but 1440p at 100+ FPS looks and feels noticeably better than 1080p.
I even went back from ultra wide 21:9 3440x1440 to regular 1440p in order to hit a constant 100+ FPS. Feels good man.

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
To be honest, I have a 70in 4k TV in my living room, in which I sit about 18ft away from on my couch, and I can't even tell the difference between 1080p and 4k at that distance. As yes, I have 20/20 vision. I definitely see the difference when I'm right up near the TV, but that isn't a valid viewing distance.

Though for typical monitor viewing distance, I would say yes there is a noticeable difference.

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
On a 4K display it's a decent middle ground between 1080p and native 4K, although integer-scaled 1080p can already look good on a 4K set

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
This just came earlier today. Not only is the screen size itself an upgrade (from a 23"), it has way better colors than my last IPS and games do look noticeably better. I've been playing at 1440p on my 4K TV for about two years now anyway and could already notice the jump up from 1080p, but not so much going from 1440p to 4K.

www.tftcentral.co.uk

LG 27GL850 review - TFTCentral

27" 1440p high refresh rate IPS gaming display from LG. With a DCI-P3 gamut, 1ms G2G response time spec and 144Hz refresh rate

$200 less than the ASUS PG279Q and it has FreeSync and is also G-Sync "compatible". The VRR goes from 48 - 144.

I was heavily considering VA just for the contrast, but the ghosting (that normally causes blacks to smear bad) just completely turned me off.

Last edited:

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I can't tell difference betweem 1440p and 4k on my TV but 1080 to 1440p I can definitely see

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
22 inch 1080p is to my eyes equal in pixel density to 27 inch 1440p

But as has been said, once you go ultrawide, be it 2560x1080 or 3440x1440 you will never go back to 16:9.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I have the ASUS others have on here, it's pretty neat and definitely improved my performance in XIV.

Have to say tho there's lots of things where I find it hard to notice the higher framerate. It's more noticeable when I look at a 60hz screen for hours like for work and go to this much smoother one. But it's not like a 30 to 60 fps size difference.

Jakartalado

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Most of the time yes.

And I say most because it depends on what type of anti aliasing the game your are about to play uses.

Considering modern anti aliasing techniques, 1440p is a huge jump, when it comes to old anti aliasing techniques like FXAA or even MLAA, it blurs the entire image so ... it doesn't feel like a huge jump.

Pretty sure it will be a bless while playing newer games with TAA, supersampling AA injections or whatever sorcery devs comes up nowadays (like DLSS 2.1)

Schnitzelfee

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
its almost double the pixels... of course its a noticeable upgrade over 1080....

1440p + 144hz gsync/freesync is the sweet spot right now

Ex Lion Tamer

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say it is. Games look a lot sharper and have a lot more clarity. The PPI isn't much bigger but the amount of info you see is greater if that makes sense.

Just using my 1440p monitor for work is a godsend. 1080p monitors are so cramped now. I want a 2nd one.

my 1440p monitor for work is so much better than my desktop I had at my actual office, working from home is actually much easier for me with all the screen space.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
my 1440p monitor for work is so much better than my desktop I had at my actual office, working from home is actually much easier for me with all the screen space.

It's actually crazy how perfect my 1440p screen is for work. I can have so many apps up at once and they're all so easily readable and crisp.

Adding in the 144fps for smooth scrolling through my adobe docs and working from home is such an upgrade.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck yes. I see the difference way more than I do between 1440p and 2160p on my 65" TV, at least with the distance away that I sit.

Fall Damage

Oct 31, 2017
Very similar PPI means similar image but I would consider the larger screen to be a worthwhile upgrade. I'm on 32" 4k 2' away now and don't ever want to go smaller.

Playboi Carti

Jan 1, 2018
Portugal
Compared to TN and VA? C'mon.
Better than tn or va panels
Absolutely. For PC I prefer it over 4K.

No scaling issues with UI, super crisp image, lets you push much higher framerates than 4K while driving the panels native resolution.

Wrong.

I got a PG279Q and it's amazing. I had a Dell S2716DG (TN) before, now it's my wife's.
I have my previous monitor yeah, it's a really good Acer Predator. 1440p144hz (165hz with an overclock) IPS panel with Gsync. But if there's a fix for ultrawide I prefer to use that so I'll try and find them, even if it means some modding.

Thankfully more and more games support it these days, and a lot of older games have mods/fixes for the games, though HUDs can be stretched of course.

Maybe it's a preference thing but for me modern IPS panels are the gold standard. TNs are great for super high refresh rates but colour accuracy is just awful in my opinion. VA panels are a step up in that department but suffer in viewing angles.

Modern IPS panels have low response times, great viewing angles and fantastic colour accuracy. You just have to deal with the lower contrast and perhaps some light bleed depending on quality control. So if that's super important to you then sure, go VA. But for me, especially since I work on my screens as well, IPS are great.
Monitor manufacturers often ignore VA because IPS and TN panels are cheaper to produce. A good VA panel will always be better than both because it's the only type of panel that can have a bit of everything. Good VA panels have good color accuracy, good black levels, good contrast and good response times at the same refresh rate of IPS and TN panels.

If you buy a monitor with a good IPS panel, you get good color accuracy and good response times but you have to deal with backlight bleeding and horrible contrast ratios.

If you buy a TN panel you get good response times and high refresh rates at a lower price but you also have to deal with mediocre color and terrible contrast ratios.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
My eyesight must not be that great, as not even full 4k is that much of a difference to me honestly. I mean, it is somewhat crisper but not to the level that the jump from SD to HD was.

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
My eyesight must not be that great, as not even full 4k is that much of a difference to me honestly. I mean, it is somewhat crisper but not to the level that the jump from SD to HD was.
That's because going from SD to HD is 6x the pixels. That isn't a fair comparison at all of course. And I guarantee if you go and toggle between 4k and 1080p on a game that supports native 4k, you will notice.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Yeah, sticking to 1080p is just cheating yourself if you like eye candy. I don't think you can resolve all the texture detail you're getting this gen at that resolution.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
That's because going from SD to HD is 6x the pixels. That isn't a fair comparison at all of course. And I guarantee if you go and toggle between 4k and 1080p on a game that supports native 4k, you will notice.

I mean, I do notice it but it's not as night and day as 480p looked like crap while 1080p looks good enough to me. It's just going from good to better in this case and I'd be ready to give up the extra pixels for 60fps next gen without thinking... But it most likely won't be an option, sadly,

Inkvoterad

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but not worth the frames for it imo. Used one for about one and a half year, ended up getting rid of it and getting a 1080p 144hz instead for half the price, best decision i ever made in a good while.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I noticed it going from 1080 to 1440 both 27 inch displays.
4k I have trouble noticing unless the display is pretty huge.

using an lg 27gl850 with that clean 144fps