• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
My Series X is inside an open cabinet. It has 1 inch of clearance above the system when standing vertically. Is this enough or do you think it would cause heating issues?

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that would be enough, that isn't much room for such a big vent to really let out heat.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Nope , it's not enough, MS says it's 1.5 minimum for an open cabinet.
I think you will have airflow problems and will quicken your console's aging at best (the rate of increased degradation will vary depending on the console's protection toward that kind of treatment), or make it unplayable for some games at worse (those really pushing it might crash the console which will say the console is running too hot and has to shut down).

Xbox Support

mingo

Oct 25, 2017
London
Mne was maybe an inch and a half, noticed the surface of the cabinet was actually quite hot to touch after a short session. Moved it afterwards.

Last edited:

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yes, it is. It is absolutely 100% enough room and anybody who tells you otherwise does not understand thermodynamics.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes, it is. It is absolutely 100% enough room and anybody who tells you otherwise does not understand thermodynamics.

Microsoft literally says it's not. Presumably it needs to be enough space that the force of the extrusion of air does not cause any sort of notable bounce back of hotter air to the areas surrounding the console (instead you need it to dissipate normally). Else you run the risk of a build up of hotter air around the system, including a warmer air temp that could be pulled back up through the system.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Microsoft literally says it's not. Presumably it needs to be enough space that the force of the extrusion of air does not cause any sort of notable bounce back of hotter air to the areas surrounding the console (instead you need it to dissipate normally). Else you run the risk of a build up of hotter air around the system, including a warmer air temp that could be pulled back up through the system.

I need a diagram, honestly.

Open = no front and no back, just sides and top, no?

I'm visualizing something like this, but where the console fits and has an inch clearance.

wspM310.jpg

Bookman

Oct 27, 2017
I drilled a 120 cm hole in my cabinet :)
Still worried tho but the consol don't feel particularly warm after s few hours of gaming.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I'm visualizing something like this, but where the console fits and has an inch clearance.

wspM310.jpg
They still say 1.5"

"For a standard, non-enclosed media entertainment stand, ensure at least 1.5 inches (approximately 4 cm) of clearance from the top of the console, in either vertical or horizontal alignment."

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I'm visualizing something like this.

wspM310.jpg

Sorry, for some stupid reason I assumed open meant just the front like most entertainment units. If the rear is open too, then yea it should theoretically still be fine, as even if there's bounce back, it'll be to the sides (the force of the extruding air from the top fan would prevent hot air from going back in through the top). So yea, it should dissipate fine if open like your image.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Sorry, for some stupid reason I assumed open meant just the front like most entertainment units, if the rear is open too, then yea it should still be fine, as even if there's bounce back, it'll be to the sides (the force of the extruding air prevents hot air from going back in the top), so yea, it should dissipate fine if open like your image.

It's all good. We both had different ideas as to what 'open' meant, I think front and back...I can see it being an issue if the back is closed up...that stuff would make me nervous...I think "Linus" of YouTube fame has a cabinet like that where he actually cut holes in the back and installed fans.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Is there an official recommendation for how much clearance it needs?

0qkyyb.jpg

This is mine. Low angle makes it look worse but there's about 5cm on top.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
They still say 1.5"

"For a standard, non-enclosed media entertainment stand, ensure at least 1.5 inches (approximately 4 cm) of clearance from the top of the console, in either vertical or horizontal alignment."

4cm from the top when horizontal makes no sense. when vertical thats literally where all the heat exhausts. When horizontal its just a blank surface that gets warm to the touch. Feels like generic warnings so possible to take with a pinch of salt. I think I have about 0.5cm from the top of mine to a glass shelf (when its horizontal)

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Mine is exactly 4 cm (the minimum stated 1.5 inch) and it seems to be fine. The surface directly above the console is a little hot, but the console itself doesn't seem to be having any problems.

Deleted member 4262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Might get pretty hot in there. I don't have a Series X yet, but I remember having to move my old 360 because of the hot air.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Well, provided the hot air has somewhere to go, then you shouldn't need a lot of space above it. The problem is if the hot air can't disappate anywhere, such as in a closed unit.

vrcsix

Oct 29, 2017
It's far from ideal, but I think you'll be fine. Manufacturers tend to err on the side of caution with their recommendations. You could always try measuring some temps.

4cm from the top when horizontal makes no sense. when vertical thats literally where all the heat exhausts. When horizontal its just a blank surface that gets warm to the touch. Feels like generic warnings so possible to take with a pinch of salt. I think I have about 0.5cm from the top of mine to a glass shelf (when its horizontal)

It's just badly worded.

Son_of_Oden

Feb 27, 2020
A guy in a different forum had 5cm space and he said that after a long game session he recognized that his XSX (or cabinet) started smelling burnt. Wouldn't recommend it!