• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Was talking about this with a friend last night where we both shared our experience of struggling to get through Yakuza 0 because of how many cutscenes it had. Another friend wasn't a big fan of that criticism, saying that it's just how the narrative is designed and that while it may not have appealed to us, it has its target audience.

Would like to hear what Era has to say on the topic.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Not for me.

I play games for the stories. I fucking love cutscenes. MGS4 is golden.

Edit: And I don't think you should be allowed to skip cutscenes on your first play-through. Pausing only. Subsequent play-throughs should allow skipping.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Only if they actually ruin the flow or if they're boring. If they're interesting then I'm fine with lots of cutscenes.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I will never touch another MGS title because of this. I hate it. I want to play a game, not watch it.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Absolutely yes, it does happen that they mess with the pacing of a game.

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
I think it was a problem in Kingdom Hearts 3. I felt like I never actually got the play the game because every few steps a new 10 minute cut scene would start.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
If it detracts from the gameplay, absolutely. There are games where I groan loudly when I get to another cutscene.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
If someone thinks there's too many cutscenes, it's just another way of saying they aren't into the narrative/writing - thus they see the cutscenes as a bit of a chore.

Jun 12, 2018
Absolutely.

And I'm certain the only people that disagree are people who never played MGS4. Way too many interruptions in a game that had great gameplay, to the point where you almost never got a rhythm going while playing.

Oct 28, 2017
Definitely, particularly if they mess with the pacing. Some games use them really well (The Last of Us and RDR2 for example) but I find that in most games I'm just waiting for them to end so I can get back to playing the game.

oliverandm

Nov 13, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
No, and it's a lazy way to criticize the problems that can occur with cutscenes, that is: they should be well made, and not bog down the experience by having a negative effect on pacing and flow. You don't get a free pass because they're not actually interactive. BLUElight above me points out: some games use them really well, and they come naturally as part of the story, whilst others simply seem to shove 'em in there for no good reason.

smuf

Oct 27, 2017
Wholly depends on the quality of the cutscenes.

I don't mind them most of the time. If I really don't care about the story I just skip them.

AxeVince

Oct 26, 2017
For me it really depends on the story and the pacing.
A boring story can feel better than it is because it's mostly told through gameplay.
A great story can be slowed down by cutscenes or deepened by them depending how well they are done.

I loved the pacing and story of Yakuza 0 and feel the cutscenes added to the story.
I did not like the pacing nor the story of RDR2 and felt the cutscenes slowed the game even more and pushed further every stereotype of the western genre they could.

Deleted member 2102

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It can be if you stretch it to critique the narrative presentation. Cutscenes that break up the gameplay loop to a distracting degree, or fail to move the narrative in a compelling way, are absolutely issues. Game design valuing length tends to lead to an unwillingness to make cuts. That being said, I remember Yakuza 0 being pretty well paced in this respect. It may just be an investment issue.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly (besides the quality of the cutscenes themselves), it depends of the amount and quality of gameplay between said scenes.
MGS4 worked really well in spite of a tremendous amount of cutscenes.

The Order 1886 maybe not quite as well...
The gameplay sequences were just too few and too short in between.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
sure, if it genuinely bothers the person saying it. It's not a problem for me personally, but if someone else dislikes it, who am I to say they're tastes are wrong?

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. I'm playing Alan Wake for the first time, and the game just doesn't want you to control Alan for more than a minute or two at a time. Very annoying so far.

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017
Well, if it is good it is good.

MGS4 was too much for me. It was too quirky and pointless sometimes. Now, TLOU was perfect. It is all personal in the end

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
They can be, depending on the circumstances. For example I like metal gear but the length of some cutscenes specifically IMO is way too long to the point of feeling a bit indulgent.

But in theory there isn't necessarily something wrong with having a lot of cutscenes, it just depends on if it fits your taste or not.

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
You can just as well complain about too much gameplay in Yakuza. I could use more cutscenes and fewer battles in these games. Unskippable cutscenes are evil, though.

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. I'm recently playing fire emblem and at this point in the game I don't really care about the cutscenes associated with the teamwork grades. Yet I can't just skip it and up my grade

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
if you feel that there are too many cutscenes, it just means that the cutscenes were not good or not paced properly in the game.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
What makes criticism illegitimate? If too many cutscenes is an issue to you then of course you can raise that as an issue. Doesn't mean others have to agree. It's not an objective thing.

For me with Yakuza it's funny, I don't mind its cutscene heavy nature at all and yet with other games I find myself getting irritated by them much quicker. It's one of my exceptions as someone with a gameplay first perspective but I can't put my finger on why.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Never once did I say to myself: This game has way too many cutscenes! while playing a game. I do actually enjoy them and I am always anticipating the next story bit when playing.

Oct 27, 2017
Even if you like cutscenes this boils down to the age old question of, "is there ever too much of a good thing?" the answer is obviously yes.

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. Saying you can't criticize something because it's designed that way is silly

Yeah, I agree.

It's not a revelation that the game was designed that way. Of course it's intended to be that way, but that doesn't mean I have to think it was the best route...

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
Cutscenes that shit up the pacing of a game is a perfectly valid criticism. I disagree with you about that criticism in Yakuza 0 though :P

SparkleMotion

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
It depends on the type of game. For an intense story driven narrative, cutscenes are essential. It's all about pacing, however. You need to have enough gameplay to where you're not just watching a movie (Unless it's a game like Heavy Rain).

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Of course you can criticize the number/quality/frequency of cutscenes. Especially if they impact your enjoyment of the game (in either direction!).