• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Some good news after the fuckery over the last few years.

Highlights:

- IRS drops clause in agreement with private companies that stopped them (IRS) from offering their own free software/website. (Though we'll have to see if this is just to pacify the public or whether they actually plan to follow through and offer a better online portal).

- Private companies cannot hide their free file programs from search engines (of course they were doing this.... -_-).

- Private companies need to standardise the name of the program. "IRS Free File program delivered by [product name]".

Last edited:

mugwhump

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Nice, I remember reading that propublica article and being shocked at how insidious turbo tax's lobbying was.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Good.
Trying to wade through the paid services plainly obfuscating the free file program was aggravating, though that still won't stop them from bashing you over the head with upsales offers through the whole process.

Hedge

Oct 26, 2017
For the vast majority of taxpayers, the IRS could easily do the return on behalf of the taxpayer and then send a letter asking if they agree with everything/anything missing.

This is at least a step in the right direction

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
This is a great step forward, and I'm surprised that we are seeing this change with this administration.

Culex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I guess the question is : why is the free tool only for AGR under 69k? If you don't have schedules it should be for everyone.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
For the vast majority of taxpayers, the IRS could easily do the return on behalf of the taxpayer and then send a letter asking if they agree with everything/anything missing.

This is at least a step in the right direction
Pre-filled tax return forms are the norm is many countries.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
I just saw this. It's pleasantly surprising to see some smart advancements, and cancelling the non-compete agreement is great even if the IRS isn't making any moves to act on it yet. That should never have been put in place.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Pre-filled tax return forms are the norm is many countries.

Yeah, I was stunned going from Canada > Singapore. No software, no printouts, nothing to mail, no number-coded fields. Just check a couple of numbers, submit, done. I knew the tax filing services were a problem, but it was really eye-opening to see how much better things were elsewhere.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
I heard of all the issues with the Free File program. It all sounds absurd when we in Australia have always filed personal taxes through the tax office's software or web portal if we wanted to do it ourselves.

All of these changes sound good at least.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I guess the question is : why is the free tool only for AGR under 69k? If you don't have schedules it should be for everyone.
Because running the program costs money, so they don't want to offer it for free to people who can afford the normal fee for tax software. What's really stupid is the tax software companies are allowed to set their own limits - last year TurboTax wouldn't get you do a free file if you earned more than $33,000!