• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
I tried my hand at making panna cotta while in self isolation. Coconut cream and Midori base, with a splash of cream, chocolate sauce, and some berries.

87224411_734776373723864_6353808699185244351_n.jpg

Nov 23, 2017
how does everyone store their knives? When I remodel I think I want to put up magnet strips
I thought a magnet strip would be scary too, but I love mine. I keep a primary selection of knives on it and my kitchen shears. It takes a few times to get the pull off and placing it back on just right without it snapping. But keeping the handles close to the strip gives the best results and ease. I wouldn't use it for your entire block of knives, but maybe that's just because I have limited wall space in my kitchen. But having my most used knives up there is a million times easier than any other storage solution.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Just tried this recipe out because I was craving some egg drop soup on a rainy isolation day. It is super easy to make and so damn comforting! Nice alternate to the standard Chinese style egg drop soup.

OvOaxwe.png

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
Just tried this recipe out because I was craving some egg drop soup on a rainy isolation day.
Nice, and yeah we're about to get some cold rainy/slushy days up here in Maine as winter tries to cling to its last dying breath. In a similar vein of cooking eggs in water, decided to dust off my poached egg skills and make some benedict-ish breakfast for the family this morning using a green suace my wife made last night that goes over leek fritters. It's parsley, cilantro, yogurt, sour cream, lemon and garlic with some salt blitzed and it is bright and tasty.

emerald-benedict-1.jpg

emerald-benedict-2.jpg

My eldest (who clearly needs to have her nails done...) had a second serving, which is always a nice thing to see.

Would have loved to serve it on a nice slice of deep red fried tomato but we were out, alas.

splash wave

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
I had some Amazon credit and desperately needed some "retail therapy" (due to non-COVID-related family tragedy) so I ordered a 7.25 Le Creuset Dutch Oven. I've used it once, and I'm already feeling mild regret about it—that maybe this thing is just too big. I already had a 3.5 DO I had received as a gift a few years ago, so I figured a 5.5qt wouldn't be a big enough jump up. I'm mostly just cooking for me and my wife with the intention of making extra for leftovers, and we occasionally cook for friends/family (this thing cooked Bolognese for five quite well).

What are some other recipes that'll make me glad I went with such a large size? I've only really been "into" cooking a few months, so I need ideas.

le-seb

Oct 31, 2017
I'd say try making some beef burgundi, or other kinds of stews requiring slow and long cooking.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
For rice - I've always been a wash, fixed water ratio (based on type of rice) and rice-cooker kinda of guy. Usually my accompanying dishes are heavily flavoured.

But I was bored today and tried Alton Brown's version and it was damned good! I dread figuring out how many calories I ate in rice alone today.

OP
OP
infinitebento

infinitebento

Oct 25, 2017
chicago
hello my bbs. its been a while 😔

with my restaurant taking a break following an insane shift to a popup for takeout/delivery , i am now a home body once more for the time being.

i might pick up a private chef gig but im avoiding the idea for health + safety reasons right now. Im weighing options.

soO anyway im going to be baking sourdough at home & incorporating vegetables into my
loaves to hone my skills as a pastry chef starved of restaurant life rn

just got a 50# bag of high gluten flour yesterday and made a fresh starter a few days ago + have a very old starter being shipped to me so im almostttt ready to start playing around

I've been making bread daily as a way of coping of not working

20200403_122822.jpg

20200403_131620.jpg

woOah those loaves look super nice! 😍

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Do y'all knead by hand or do you have a stand mixer?

Made some parathas today. Sohla's recipe/ratios are spot on. Same method as for scallion pancakes, just no scallions of course. Par cooked and froze them, will fry them up through the week.

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
woOah those loaves look super nice! 😍

Thanks, im not really used to using instant yeast, since a majority of my time working in restaurants we've always used those yeast bricks, putty clay stuff (fresh yeast?)

I been wanting to make bread as a give away item to people in need because I've been slowly going insane and quite depressed now that I have no outlet to cook, and so I've turned to bread.

OP
OP
infinitebento

infinitebento

Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Do y'all knead by hand or do you have a stand mixer?

Made some parathas today. Sohla's recipe/ratios are spot on. Same method as for scallion pancakes, just no scallions of course. Par cooked and froze them, will fry them up through the week.

I knead by hand depending on the bread. I don't use a mixer. Sourdough doesn't require kneading but brioche and other buttery doughs do so it varies.

Thanks, im not really used to using instant yeast, since a majority of my time working in restaurants we've always used those yeast bricks, putty clay stuff (fresh yeast?)

I been wanting to make bread as a give away item to people in need because I've been slowly going insane and quite depressed now that I have no outlet to cook, and so I've turned to bread.

ooooh yeah fresh yeast is pretty different. I was wondering if you used yeast or a starter for those loaves.

Bread baking is incredibly therapeutic, imo. So very few ingredients and a pretty big learning curve. Every loaf is different from the last and thats what makes it so exciting!

Last edited:

Zackat

Oct 25, 2017
My final shaping technique for my sourdough is getting much more consistent. Getting some nice loaves lately.

Also been making home made pizza for the first time in forever. Got a baking steel and it is great.

qamfDFi.jpg

W6rptJe.jpg

DxQPg1j.jpg

the pulled pork one with pickles on it was delicious. Had never put pickles on a pizza before but my brother wanted to try it.

Nov 23, 2017
You guys are a bad influence. I went ahead and made rolls tonight. I've got them baking in the oven right now. But I think I used too much dough in each roll and not a big enough dish. We'll see how this recipe turns out...

OP
OP
infinitebento

infinitebento

Oct 25, 2017
chicago
You guys are a bad influence. I went ahead and made rolls tonight. I've got them baking in the oven right now. But I think I used too much dough in each roll and not a big enough dish. We'll see how this recipe turns out...

ive done that so many times lol

im like this pan will tOtally work

20 minutes go by as its proofing and.....oh welp nvm 😔

My final shaping technique for my sourdough is getting much more consistent. Getting some nice loaves lately.

Also been making home made pizza for the first time in forever. Got a baking steel and it is great.

qamfDFi.jpg

W6rptJe.jpg

DxQPg1j.jpg

the pulled pork one with pickles on it was delicious. Had never put pickles on a pizza before but my brother wanted to try it.

seeing this makes me stoked to make some sourdough pizza with my sister 😍

also i love pickled veggies on pizza so normal pickles would probably slap for me 🙃

Zackat

Oct 25, 2017
Sourdough pizza crust too good. Looking forward to the pictures Infinitebento .

I have been eating carbs like crazy lately so I gotta cool it on the bread and pizza. Maybe only once a week for pizza instead of 2 days in a row 😂.

I need some inspiration for healthy stuff.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017

I have been eating carbs like crazy lately so I gotta cool it on the bread and pizza. Maybe only once a week for pizza instead of 2 days in a row 😂.

Buy as many carrots as you can and roast them! Easy, tasty, clean and hearty. I also made several jars of carrot soup and froze them for the future.

OP
OP
infinitebento

infinitebento

Oct 25, 2017
chicago

Get weird and try getting into fermentation!

Its a lot of fun experimenting with pickling your own vegetables, making your own vinegars, and fermenting veggies using different types of processes.

There are some health benefits when fermenting some stuff too so I would try it out if you enjoy vinegary things :>

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Wow! So after making a few dense, bready pizza doughs, last night's sourdough crust was perfectly pillow-y in texture. I don't think I used enough flour, and I was wrestling with a sticky mess, but it rose like a champion. That last picture is the other half I reserved, which inflated a decent amount in the fridge overnight. I'll bake that up tonight with some mushroom cream sauce and Parmi Reggi.

Cosmic Bus

Oct 27, 2017
NY
This was a 72-hour pizza dough I'd been working on before the restaurant had to close.

img_20200309_145436bcjqt.jpg

Still legitimately depressed over not being able to bake anything at home and having to buy store bread or order pizza. 😰

Nov 23, 2017
Why can't you bake at home?

Maybe try perfecting a tortilla instead of bread. That can be cooked on the stove top. There's something amazing about fresh tortillas thats almost as good as bread.

Zackat

Oct 25, 2017
Funnily enough I bought The Art of Fermentation just last week. It is next on my list of hobbies. I just need to go for it.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
I love how every single person in quarantine is making homemade bread and pizza after a couple of days.

And of course, getting better results than me, despite struggling with it for months.

Fuck.

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is a pizza dough without yeast worth it?

Can't find any here in silly old Ireland

after the bread crisis of the snow storm people went nuts for it during the latest Covid crisis

Cosmic Bus

Oct 27, 2017
NY
Why can't you bake at home?

Maybe try perfecting a tortilla instead of bread. That can be cooked on the stove top. There's something amazing about fresh tortillas thats almost as good as bread.

Our apartment/loft has two smoke alarms: one is directly above the oven, so the slightest wisp of smoke, steam, or even high heat sets the damn thing off, and anything you managed to blow away from the first alarm just sets off the second one upstairs a couple minutes later. Making things even more annoying, they're wired into the building, so you can't just take out the batteries temporarily and if you open the door to let in fresh air, it sets off a building-wide alarm that also calls the fire department and then management fines you 🥴

Zackat

Oct 25, 2017
Our apartment/loft has two smoke alarms: one is directly above the oven, so the slightest wisp of smoke, steam, or even high heat sets the damn thing off, and anything you managed to blow away from the first alarm just sets off the second one upstairs a couple minutes later. Making things even more annoying, they're wired into the building, so you can't just take out the batteries temporarily and if you open the door to let in fresh air, it sets off a building-wide alarm that also calls the fire department and then management fines you 🥴
Shower caps over the smoke alarms

Nov 23, 2017
I had the same problem at my last place. But they were cheap battery ones that I just took down. I could not cook without it going off all the time. Never thought of using a shower cap. Could have saved me plenty of headaches.

Nov 23, 2017
Any one else watching Alton Brown's live streams with his wife? I love them. I also love his recorded ones at the studio when he's like "I can say I like the name brand. I don't have to block it out anymore. I could never say that on Food Network". But his at home ones are crazy with his wife. The one yesterday, there's things you will never un-learn. It's been fun to see these tv personalities just being themselves and still connecting to their fans.

Zackat

Oct 25, 2017
Baking sourdough ended up being the last straw for me and my smoke detectors in my apartment a few months ago. When you have a ripping hot oven they went off almost every time. I tried all sorts of things so I didn't have to take them down. Shower caps worked the best.

if you put some aluminum foil in them I bet it will block even enough of the heat if that is still setting them off

OP
OP
infinitebento

infinitebento

Oct 25, 2017
chicago
This was a 72-hour pizza dough I'd been working on before the restaurant had to close.

img_20200309_145436bcjqt.jpg

Still legitimately depressed over not being able to bake anything at home and having to buy store bread or order pizza. 😰

woah look at dem air pockets! That looks amazing 😩 teach meeeee

Funnily enough I bought The Art of Fermentation just last week. It is next on my list of hobbies. I just need to go for it.

You gotta! Thats a great book. I wasn't insanely familiar with fermentation until I started working for my current chef and now I adore it. Its such an interesting process and the methods are fascinating asf.

Zackat

Oct 25, 2017
IChs6AZ.jpg

loaves this morning. Let them open naturally instead of slashing. I think it looks more rustic this way.

gotta go to work so I won't be able to see the crumb until later.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I am going to be handing down my Cuisinart stainless steel cookware set that I've had for a few years, so I need to replace it. I was considering going with Tramontina since Kenji and the Serious Eats crew seem to like them, especially for the price. Anyone have experience with them? They have a 10-piece set for $244 at Amazon. I know you aren't supposed to buy sets and should instead spend the same money on better pieces that you will actually use, and I can see three pieces in that set that I would not use very often at all. I'd like to consider All-Clad, but I think my wife would kill me if I spent that kind of money on cookware. 😬

Pieces I definitely need to replace:
  • 3.5 qt covered sauté pan
  • 10-10.5 inch skillet (ideally with a lid); I would prefer something with more gently sloping sides than what my current set has
  • 3 qt covered sauce pan
I've got a cast iron skillet, a couple Dutch ovens, and a couple nonstick skillets I can use to fill just about any gap I'd have outside of those pieces. I don't mind spending a decent amount of money since I plan to keep this stuff for several years, and maybe All-Clad is worth the spend? I don't know. I have a hard time believing it's THAT much better than some competing brands, but I've also never used any of their stuff. Any recommendations you cool cats and kittens might be able to offer are sincerely appreciated.