• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
User Banned (3 Weeks): Islamophobia; previous severe infractions
"But it's not the real Islam!"
Islam is a backwards religion and the world would be better off without it.

The fact that it numbers almost 2 billion followers is disturbing. When you look at the percentages of people who support reprehensible behaviour such as lashings, any "small" percentage out of 2 billion is still a lot of fucking people.

I absolutely understand not generalising all Muslims but the facts are facts, beating around the bush doesn't help anyone. Islam needs a reform. Women and minorities need our help. What's going on in the Muslim world is not ok.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes the cruelty on display in this world becomes so overwhelming to me that I wish I'd never lived to witness it.
Humanity was a fucking mistake.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The sheer cruelty and injustice of this is impossible to encompass. Fuck anyone involved in making this reality. I wish there was something I could do to stop it.

ItsBobbyDarin

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Egyptian residing in Denmark
Do you have an example for this generalization?
If every dumb post was a mark against all of ERA, no one would be able to get away from a ton of yours.

I don't generalize, that is not what I meant with the post. What I meant was, that even on resetera, there are people willing to defend that shit country. There was a topic a month or 2 ago where many actually defended Iran in a dispute.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
I don't generalize, that is not what I meant with the post. What I meant was, that even on resetera, there are people willing to defend that shit country. There was a topic a month or 2 ago where many actually defended Iran in a dispute.
Was the dispute in regards to Iranian social practices or something to do with the US and it's crazed obsession to prove Iran poses a nuclear threat?

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Specifically I will defend Iran when it comes to the Nuclear Deal with Western countries. Other than that, nah, they're still a religiously controlled country.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
This is insanity and malice. Any judge that sactions this is psychologically deranged relatively to any sense of human decency. There needs to be substantial international pressure on the Iranian admin to back up on this bullshit.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Holy fucking shit. I feel sorry for the Iranian people that live under that regime. Is there hope of things ever changing?

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why is Islam so behind with times? Christianity used to be hardcore and did similar things but most has fallen out of practice.

adamsappel

Oct 27, 2017
They're going to give a 55-year-old woman 148 lashes? She'll be dead long before the last one (and somehow I bet they'll still administer the punishment on a corpse).

TheZodiacAge

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That is why its always "funny" when people in the west fight against anyone that tries to change these things and don't let them have any place in the western world.

For some reason this gets ignored a lot especially by Women rights activists and so called Feminists.
This Religion is basically pure hate on Women but gets overlooked for some reason.
This isn't a choice or freedom as Iran and some other countries with the same mentality perfectly show - They don't want to wear that at all and its only reason to exist is to establish control by Men over Women.

That backwards garbage has no place anymore in this world and needs to absolutely get abolished and fought against.

Mr.Arrow

Dec 6, 2018
I don't really understand how would anyone live under a religious controlled government like Iran and Saudi Arabia......

It makes me glad that my country is secular , I would be terrified if a bunch of religious zealots runs the nation with their backwardness policy.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Are the 148 lashes given in 1 session?

Can you imagine being struck like this
LashingIran.jpg

ONE HUNDRED AND FORTY-EIGHT TIMES?

Absolute barbarism.

Literally what do they think this achieves?

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Fucking gross and inexcusable. That's death by torture.

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
Iran is still super backwards in so many ways, just as the ayatollah want it to be.

Literally what do they think this achieves?

I've visited Iran and the people there were afraid of so many mundane things. The government rules through fear, so they try to set an example if you happen to have more progressive views, at least openly.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
This is terribad, sure wish we had a mechanism to pressure Iran to improve, know, like the one Trump tore up?

Doran

Jun 9, 2018
Islam is a backwards religion and the world would be better off without it.

The fact that it numbers almost 2 billion followers is disturbing. When you look at the percentages of people who support reprehensible behaviour such as lashings, any "small" percentage out of 2 billion is still a lot of fucking people.

I absolutely understand not generalising all Muslims but the facts are facts, beating around the bush doesn't help anyone. Islam needs a reform. Women and minorities need our help. What's going on in the Muslim world is not ok.

I agree with this but any time I say this to people when these topics come up they get disgusted with me so I don't bother anymore. I have no evidence on how many people believe in the radical stuff but 1 percent of 2 billion is 20 million people.

jchap

Oct 27, 2017
Terrible. A shame no other nation or group could save her without starting a huge shitstorm of a war.

anamika

May 18, 2018
This is why I keep talking about how the Hijab is a symbol of religious oppression for many women. Western muslim women wants to wear it proudly to show solidarity with their faith? Fine. But recognize what it stands for thousands of other women around the world and why western countries would not want such medieval, inherently misogynistic, anti-women ideas to flourish in their countries.

Sinfamy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not wanting to invade Iran at the behest of Israel, Saudi Arabia and the military industrial complex ≠ supporting their backwards culture, practices and beliefs, nor does it mean making up lies about how they're not abiding by the nuclear deal.
If you want these things to stop first we must admit that there are good and bad cultures, at least major aspects of them, it's not relativistic, and that we are willing to engage in a culture war (of influence, not literal war), we can lead by example.
But unfortunately we have zero international credibility when we're okay with Saudi Arabia committing genocide and don't punish them when they execute journalists, we actually reward them with billions in trade.
But I also don't want to make a Chomsky-ian argument, and it is important to constantly attack these practices, even when the actions of your government are terrible as well, because you as an individual don't support them.

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
That's terrible.
This brave woman fights for basic human rights and what she gets is a 10th century punishment for a "crime" that exists only in the minds of religious fanatics.
I hope the Iranian authorities will come to their senses and do not proceed with this expression of barbarism.

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck Iran. What a fucked up country....

Remember that thread a while back about how Iran was a beautiful country and so progressive....

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
Outrageous and downright disgusting. Fuuuuck the Islamic Republic & that ass-backwards extremist mentality to hell.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Fuck Iran. Fuck sharia law. I hope the west can put pressure on them to release the lawyer.

kingkaiser

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Essen, Germany
Why is Islam so behind with times? Christianity used to be hardcore and did similar things but most has fallen out of practice.

Well, Islam is 500 years younger than Christianity, so that alone makes it lagging behind.
This Religion is still waiting for its kind of Renaissance, but at this current level of progress it will probably take like another 500 years to achieve age of enlightenment.

The BLJ

Feb 2, 2019
France
To be fair, the Byzantine Empire imprisoned/mutilated/exiled people because they were causing global unrest, as any doctrine that was seen as a heresy and that was spreading over the empire was seen at the same time as a rebellion against the emperor. Even some saints were seen as heretics by the imperial court and were therefore imprisoned/mutilated/exiled, like Maximus the Confessor. The aspect was as much political as it was religious, and even on a religious level it was not stuff on the level of "can women not wear headscarves?" and rather stuff on the level of "is Jesus God?".
It's a little funny that in the end, having Christianity as the state religion did not bring stability at all, as it took 9 centuries for the major doctrines to be laid out clearly enough, meaning there was a lot of confusion and unstability until then, and there was rarely ever a time when there weren't major heretical groups causing disputes and such. That's what happens when there is no real central authority, doctrinal dialogue is tolerated and even encouraged sometimes, and the emperor is expected to deal with the practical stuff but he himself wasn't always orthodox.

And now that I think about it, this is likely the case here too. I mean, that this is political as much as it is religious. Promoting that women shouldn't be forced to wear a hijab is not seen only as an act of apostasy and an attack on religion, it may also be seen as a "trojan horse" by which Western values can infiltrate and destabilize Iran. Therefore they are fearless to give her such a harsh punishment and to let everyone in the world know.

I'll remind, of course, that the Quran says that there is no compulsion in religion. I do not think that there is something in Islam that fundamentally prevents a dialogue on the hijab, even if I doubt the end result would be much different from the beginning. But Islamic theocracies have an iron grip on their nations and they will not take the risk of heresies destabilizing them, especially if these heresies can be framed as proxy attacks by the West.
Incidentally, even though I'm not a fan of the ancient Islamic empires, they were actually quite tolerant if we compare them to most Islamic nations today.