• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mozbar

Feb 20, 2018
Its less about the fact they can but diplomatically it would be an immensely stupid gambit by Iran since most of the international community sides with them concerning this tiff with the US. It would erase the side deals they've made with the EU and other countries since Trump tore up the agreement, etc. It would be a dumb move just to 'save face' when the US did it as an act of desperation and would make them an international pariah again while now its just the US that doesnt like em

I admit that some of the geopolitics elude me, but there must be some reason beyond what was shared. The ambassadors in the Southern African region since Trump's term started have been less diplomatic about certain things. And perhaps a wrong button has been pushed. Whether that is just cause for Iran to risk it all is another issue, or it's just misinformation all around.

Deleted member 24118

User requested account closure
Oct 29, 2017
Its less about the fact they can but diplomatically it would be an immensely stupid gambit by Iran since most of the international community sides with them concerning this tiff with the US. It would erase the side deals they've made with the EU and other countries since Trump tore up the agreement, etc. It would be a dumb move just to 'save face' when the US did it as an act of desperation and would make them an international pariah again while now its just the US that doesnt like em

I mean theocracies aren't known for being the most rational actors.

jakomocha

Oct 29, 2017
California
LOL.

No possible way this is real btw. On the international scale Iran is winning:

www.theguardian.com

UN security council rejects US attempt to extend Iran sanctions

Indonesia said no further action could be taken on US request because there was no consensus on 15-nation body

So for me its who made this up. Miller?
My immediate thoughts.

the amount of impeachable acts with this administration is infinite, it's hard to even keep track at this point

RoninZ

Oct 27, 2017
Man when Biden wins, you can imagine Trump, his family is gonna be in Iran's crosshairs. Secret Service can only do so much when your not a President anymore.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Man when Biden wins, you can imagine Trump, his family is gonna be in Iran's crosshairs. Secret Service can only do so much when your not a President anymore.
I have no doubt they'll target someone close to Trump, if not Trump himself. Soleimani was revered by a lot of Iranians and especially the government. They took that shit personally.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Had to dig into the article on why South Africa and it makes sense.

I hope they don't, as it will generate a harsh response from the United States and the last thing I want to see is more people lose their lives. I was hoping the missle barrage against the US military base was sufficient.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
This shitshow of a year started with a WW3 scare, and will possibly end with a sequel to it... Full circle

Ya hate to see it, you really do

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Secret Service protection is provided for every former US President and there family until death.

Even if Trump died of a heart attack tommorow Ivanka and his children will still have protection. It doesn't just stop when he's not the President.

Oct 28, 2017
Is it normal for the press to be subservient to Nat sec in a democracy? Because every time the US government wants to bang the drums of war the American press is ready to help without fail.

Oct 30, 2017
Does South Africa have nukes?

Edit: as in, do we think they do.
We're the only country, AFAIK, that has voluntarily decommissioned our nuclear weapons.

I'm from Mozambique, and lived in the country for a bit. And it doesn't seem that outlandish.

I know there has been an increase in the terrorist or terrorist-like activity in the country (and the region). Some of it is not reported by mainstream outlets. Honestly, the secret African wars grossly underreported.

Perhaps South Africans can chime in here?
It seems pretty outlandish, but not because of any lack of terrorist activity in the country, though what has occurred here has been small-scale and doesn't seem that well organised. What makes it outlandish is that our government isn't particularly positively inclined towards the US in the first place. We're part of BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China, South Africa), which is like our G7. Nothing about this seems like it would really end up doing helping our attitude towards Iran. All it feels like it would achieve is screwing us, by making the US treat us worse. I don't see us running to break sanctions and start buying Iranian oil in the aftermath, especially given the leverage the US has over us in terms of trade agreements that our economy really needs. Then, when it comes out that it was Iran, our diplomatic support for them isn't going to improve. Sure, we're not the diplomatic powerhouse we were with Mandela and our former position as an advocate for human rights, but IIRC we're currently rotated onto the UN Security Council. It just seems all kinds of dumb to threaten things when we probably have better diplomatic relations with Iran than a lot of other countries.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I mean theocracies aren't known for being the most rational actors.

Agreed. But this is a bit out there; we are talking about a state murdering a diplomat on foreign soil...this would be one for the history books regardless of the many dumpster fires we have going in 2020.

It just seems odd that an Iran who's played it cool when dealing the West for all these years, including the last three years of US escalation...would make a move so beyond the pale. Id be much more apt to believe if it didn't involve killing a diplomat and maybe killing other US personnel

And finally we hit the sad truth that we can't believe anything coming out of this administration...be it a formal announcement or a 'leak'. We've got a president who's willing to stroke a civil war to stay in power, trying to stroke a real war is kinda been there, done that

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I have no doubt they'll target someone close to Trump, if not Trump himself. Soleimani was revered by a lot of Iranians and especially the government. They took that shit personally.
Ivanka could be the one thing Trump cares more than himself in this world. Otherwise, they may as well go after the narcissist himself.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is it normal for the press to be subservient to Nat sec in a democracy? Because every time the US government wants to bang the drums of war the American press is ready to help without fail.
It's pretty damn normal. It shouldn't be, but it is.
The US media rely almost exclusively on government sources for national security reporting, and they write it like it's the deep state leaking shit, but it's always politicians who insist on being call something more trustworthy than their name.
Donald Rumsfeld straight up put PR releases in the NYT that were laundered by calling him "the intelligence community" and "national security officials".

I really think the US media need to stop with that deep background bullshit, make Mike Pompeo put his name on this crap. But I doubt it will happen.