• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017

The Iranian government is considering assassinating the American ambassador to South Africa, U.S. intelligence reports say, according to a U.S. government official familiar with the issue and another official who has seen the intelligence.

News of the plot comes as Iran continues to seek ways to retaliate for President Donald Trump's decision to kill a powerful Iranian general earlier this year, the officials said. If carried out, it could dramatically ratchet up already serious tensions between the U.S. and Iran and create enormous pressure on Trump to strike back — possibly in the middle of a tense election season.

U.S. officials have been aware of a general threat against the ambassador, Lana Marks, since the spring, the officials said. But the intelligence about the threat to the ambassador has become more specific in recent weeks. The Iranian embassy in Pretoria is involved in the plot, the U.S. government official said.

Last edited:

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Trump is like damn.

I'm sure he'd love to sacrifice him, to use his death as some benefit to his re-election campaign.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Well I'm guessing that any type of assassination attempt now that it's out in the open would be really hard to pull off.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
Am I the only one who was slightly jolted by the reminder that the Soleimani assassination was this year

OP
OP
RDreamer

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Why her? Her wiki is super short, the only thing I could see is that she's Jewish?
From the article:
Marks, 66, was sworn in as the U.S. ambassador last October. She's known Trump for more than two decades and has been a member of his Mar-a-Lago club in Florida. Critics of Trump have derided her as a "handbag designer," but her supporters retort that she is a successful businesswoman — her eponymous handbags run as much as $40,000 — with numerous international connections. A personal friend of the late Princess Diana, she also was born in South Africa and speaks some of the country's key languages, including Afrikaans and Xhosa.

The intelligence community isn't exactly sure why Iranians would target Marks, who has few, if any, known links to Iran. It's possible the Iranians took her long friendship with Trump into consideration, the U.S. government official said.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Am I the only one who was slightly jolted by the reminder that the Soleimani assassination was this year
I was thinking about it just the other day. Granted, I brought it up in conversation.

I doubt they're going to go through this specific assassination now though. The implication that they can touch someone close to Trump is likely weighing on them right now.

Hopefully, they'll leave it alone with the celestial hope that Trump is out of office in January.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, even if this was real it's not happening anymore. Feels like a distraction story. Something gonna hit tomorrow?

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
What are Iran's ties to South Africa?

I mean, I think it's geographically the furthest African nation from Iran. If they were going to do something like this I would've thought it would be a bit more closer.

Or is this more due to the ambassador's personal connection to Trump?

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Negative, it will allow Trump to stay in power during War, think how FDR served 4 terms because WWII allowed it.

No... No, this isn't how Trump thinks.

The *only* positive thing he has done (and what he believes is partially responsible for his election victory) is not starting any extra wars or conflicts. If Iran did do this, no way Trump goes to war/sends troop. It's about winning the election, he doesn't care about anything else.

marmalade

Nov 28, 2018
Does Politico usually break natsec stories like this? Gut tells me "no." And NYT or whatever thought this didn't pass smell test.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Ok

if this were real we wouldn't know about it and the us govt would be taking action and we wouldn't know anything about it.

Dogo Mojo

Oct 27, 2017
I've wondered for a long time if Trump would try to start a war in order to help his chances of staying in power.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Doubt this was an intentional leak by Trump Admin official trying to help Trump. If this actually happened it would not benefit Trump. It might seem like it would at first, but he's been trying to position himself as the anti-interventionist candidate. Super high risk to leak this and point to Trump's chaotic foreign relations.

I don't think it's unheard of that iran would target an American diplomat for retribution from the general who was assassinated last year.

Also I feel bad for the ambassador allegedly being targeted. Like she's (she right?) Is the alleged victim here but she's likely to not even really be thought about like a human being, but like a pawn in some stupid chess game.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Negative, it will allow Trump to stay in power during War, think how FDR served 4 terms because WWII allowed it.

This is very false.

The 22nd amendment was enacted in 1951 limiting presidents to 2 terms, 6+ years after Roosevelts death. FDR won four elections because he was popular. There is no provision in the constitution that permits a president to stay in power based on war or something.

For what it's worth, roosevelt only won one war time election, 1944. The US did not enter World War 2 until 1941.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
if trump wants war, then they would let the ambassador die. cause you cant go to war over a threatened assassination.

if trump wants to up the screws on Iran, making up a assassination plot, or publicizing a real assassination plot is the way to go.

Doubt this was an intentional leak by Trump Admin official trying to help Trump. If this actually happened it would not benefit Trump. It might seem like it would at first, but he's been trying to position himself as the anti-interventionist candidate. Super high risk to leak this and point to Trump's chaotic foreign relations.

I don't think it's unheard of that iran would target an American diplomat for retribution from the general who was assassinated last year.

Also I feel bad for the ambassador allegedly being targeted. Like she's (she right?) Is the alleged victim here but she's likely to not even really be thought about like a human being, but like a pawn in some stupid chess game.

yup, part of the non-interventionist slant is that his action in Iran drew no serious counter-action, meaning being "strong" worked. Having Iran start popping off, would dash that.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl

When FDR did it, it was still legal and allowed to run for more than 2 terms. Many presidents went for third terms and were just not elected.

After the 4 terms of FDR the constitution was ammended and banned presidents serving for more than two terms or 10 years which ever came first.

mozbar

Feb 20, 2018
I'm from Mozambique, and lived in the country for a bit. And it doesn't seem that outlandish.

I know there has been an increase in the terrorist or terrorist-like activity in the country (and the region). Some of it is not reported by mainstream outlets. Honestly, the secret African wars grossly underreported.

Perhaps South Africans can chime in here?

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I'm from Mozambique, and lived in the country for a bit. And it doesn't seem that outlandish.

I know there has been an increase in the terrorist or terrorist-like activity in the country (and the region). Some of it is not reported by mainstream outlets. Honestly, the secret African wars grossly underreported.

Perhaps South Africans can chime in here?

Its less about the fact they can but diplomatically it would be an immensely stupid gambit by Iran since most of the international community sides with them concerning this tiff with the US. It would erase the side deals they've made with the EU and other countries since Trump tore up the agreement, etc. It would be a dumb move just to 'save face' when the US did it as an act of desperation and would make them an international pariah again while now its just the US that doesnt like em